PDA

View Full Version : Black Hawk Down

mylow thehutt
01-21-2002, 10:12 PM
:)I just saw B H D it was good.Ewan Mcgreger played in it too(he playes Obi-wan:) ) For those who haven't seen, it's a 4 star.:D

bigbarada
01-21-2002, 10:24 PM
Haven't seen it yet; but hopefully I can next weekend.

I was stationed in Germany when the actual attack happened, and we all believed that we'd be getting ready to deploy to war. But Clinton, in his infinite ineptitude, chickened out and gave America one of our most humiliating defeats in history. A couple of short range nukes would've taken care of those animals dragging our soldiers' bodies through the streets. And set a good example for all the uncultured nations out there looking to pick a fight.

Sorry, touchy subject.

The 'Xir
01-21-2002, 10:47 PM
BHD! AAWWWW YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! This movie was GREAT!!!!! I saw it about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but I can't wait to see it in theatres because my copy was pretty crappy! :( It's gotta be incredible on the big screen! I highly recommened it to everyone! 4 out of 5 *'s! 4 out of 5, only 'cause I never give a 1 or a 5 to any movie.
Actually that's not true, I gave 1* to Pearl Harbor, because that has got to be the worst movie of all time! I would have been ashamed If i knew there was a veteran of PH in the audience with me. It was so bad I felt guilty afterwards, because I was laughing about 1/2 way though, GOD it was aweful!
Anyways, anyone who hated PH too, I highly recommend BHD, 'cause it redeems hollywood war films!:)

derek
01-22-2002, 12:00 AM
i saw this film on sunday, and i was very impressed. an excellent film, and from what i have heard, is very true to the actual events.
what most impressed me was the fact that like in desert storm, this is a 100% volintary army. the fact that these guys choose to join up gets mucho respect from me. too bad they didn't have the tanks originally requested. they would of been out of there in a few hours instead of having to fight all night.

a very good film. i highly recommend.

anyone know why delta force wears a different helmet than the rangers wear? and in the film, delta force soldies seemed really cocky. one of them was almost talking down to a superior officer of the rangers. does that really happen?

Rollo Tomassi
01-22-2002, 08:12 AM
Black Hawk Down makes it into my top ten movies of the year. It might have been higher, but it suffers from TBWB syndrome. (The Book Was Better) After I read the book, I had tears in my eyes because it captured the emotional aspect of these young men, who fought and died with each other, so well. If you liked the movie, I highly super recommend reading the book at once. And Pearl Harbor wasn't the worst movie of the year. Here are the 5 worst of 2001

5. Tomb Raider
4. Hannibal
3. Scary Movie 2
2. Spy Kids

and the worst movie of 2001

1. Vanilla Sky

Honorable mentions also go out to Shallow Hal and Planet of the Apes...

preacher
01-25-2002, 10:00 PM
Mopping up vomit in a Caster(sp?) oil taste testing factory would have been worth more my effort than the pain of watching Vanilla Sky. Tom Cruise's roles lately have absolutely sucked. I couldn't be any happier. The dude is a poser and a moron for letting Nichole slip away.

Back to the subject...sounds like Black Hawk Down is a good movie.

Hey are their any opinions on "A beautiful Mind"? One of my friends saw and said not to waste my money and my Mom keeps calling me to ask if I've seen it yet?

What say you lads? And any lasses that are watching? I'm any equal opportunity pollster :D

derek
01-25-2002, 10:25 PM
hey preacher,

your hate:crazed: for tom cruise sounds very familiar. my dad refuses to watch any future tom cruies films after seeing "eyes wide shut" and "magnolia" i thought both films were o.k., but to some, cruise ruined his "image" of the all american poster boy they recall from films like top gun.

Fulit
01-25-2002, 10:56 PM
I have to go see this. There was a guy from my hometown in North Little Rock that was killed in the actual incident. I think he was flying one of the helicopters. He has a street named after him and stuff. By any chance was there a character named "Bull" or "Donovan" in the movie? I figure they didn't use actual names, but I have to ask.

Rollo Tomassi
01-26-2002, 12:15 PM
Chief Warrant Officer Donovan "Bull" Briley was the co-pilot of the first BH to go down piloted by CWO Cliff "Elvis" Wolcott who was played by Jeremy Piven in the film. Both men died instantly in the crash. The reason the expidition stayed so long at the crash site, was that they couldn't get the pilots bodies out of the wreckage. It took them several hours to cut through the metel and dig the bodies out because "no man is left behind."

I enjoyed A Beautiful Mind. It's slow in the middle, but Crowe gives yet another riveting performance.

preacher
01-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Yowza!

Hate. :eek: Man, that is an awfully strong word Derek.

I don't hate Tommy...don't even know him. I'm sure he would be cool to play some billiards against, or golf. I've just been terribly disappointed in his movies the last few years. I enjoyed his performance in A Few Good Men, The Firm, and Interview With A Vampire. Vanilla Sky, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Mission Impossible II, stank really really bad.

SithDroid
02-05-2002, 12:51 PM
I just saw Black Hawk Down last night. It was pretty good. However I think that Josh Hartnett was horribly miscast. The part should have been played by someone a little bit older. All I kept thinking to myself was, this guy is a sergeant and he is ordering these people around and he looks like he's a teenager. Plus IMO Hartnetts acting wasn't that great and the part where he was talking about why he joined the rangers because he thought he could make a difference was TOO CHEESY. Other than that I quite enjoyed it.

Rollo Tomassi
02-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Well, those guys WERE really young in real life. Everybody except the Delta Force guys and the officers were between 18 and 24.

derek
02-05-2002, 04:55 PM
hey sith droid,

as suggested by rollo, i picked up the black hawk down book. by the way, it's based on a true story. as dramatic as it was, if the writers had simply made this story up, they could of gone a more dramatic route ala saving private ryan.

by the way, the character josh hartnet plays was only a five year veteran in the army, aged 24 or 25, and i bet the feelings he expresssed about making a difference were real, not made up. sorry if you think real life is cheezy.:D

2-1B
02-06-2002, 03:01 AM
I think that anyone willing to go into the line of fire for the sake of someone else truly believes he can make a difference. God bless them for their dedication.

bigbarada
02-06-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
the part where he was talking about why he joined the rangers because he thought he could make a difference was TOO CHEESY. Other than that I quite enjoyed it.

I've known many people who have joined the military for very idealistic reasons. It's not uncommon by any means and they definitely don't see it as cheesy.

SithDroid
02-06-2002, 01:25 PM
I'm not saying that most people don't join the military just to have fun. I do believe that some join the military to actually make a difference. My point was that the way the subject was brought up and the way Hartnett delivered it seemed CHEESY.

Beast
02-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Hmm, maybe I should go see this after all. I was avoiding it, due to the fact I'm not much of a war movie fan. But with all the good press it's getting, as well as the praise you guys are heaping on the movie, perhaps I should. Guess I should go find out the local showtimes, and drag myself to the theater. :) I'll let you guys know what I thought, if I do go.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
02-06-2002, 01:45 PM
Do see it Jar Jar. It is a great movie.

General Veers
02-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Yes, JarJar you should, BHD was a great war movie. It showed very well what happened in Somalia. It was graphic and detailed, and overall I'd give it 4 stars.

Darth Rage
02-24-2002, 06:11 AM
It was an awesome movie, but like all movies, it gets a little sugarcoating, you hardly see the somali women and children getting killed as well as the bad guys.

Rollo Tomassi
02-24-2002, 09:36 AM
***MATURE CONTENT AHEAD: NOT FOR CHILDREN****

There was a scene in the book where this Somali woman kept running out into the intersection and pointing to where the Rangers were holed up, and it would immediately be followed by a horrendous barrage of gunfire. After this happened three or four times, one of the soldiers said "If that B***h does that one more time, i'm taking her out." and his CO said "Go ahead." So the next time the stupid wench came out, about a dozen rangers opened fire and turned her into goo. Just liquified her.

Now my girlfriend and I got into a discussion about this. She said that was barbaric to slaughter a woman like that. My feeling was, the woman had ceased to become "an innocent bystander" because she was attempting to cause harm to soldiers by her actions and thus "got what she deserved."

I was hoping that scene was in the film just because it would make the Rangers more real and three dimensional. Less likable, but more real. It would show what happens to morals and conscious when your life is on the line. They are easily discarded in favor of survival.

2-1B
02-24-2002, 03:26 PM
Very valid points, Rollo. The same issues applied in other battles, Vietnam for instance. Were the actions of this woman any different than putting grenades into the hands of children? I don't think so. It's very saddening.

warren
02-24-2002, 10:37 PM
I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago on theater.

I must say I am impressed by all the sound effects and visual effects. It's pretty cool and very realistic.

It's all the way action packed !!!!
For all those action movie lovers ...
this is a must see movie

Lobito
04-16-2002, 07:00 PM
I have mixed feelings about this movie, being a fan of War movies BHD is a "must see" but the fact that it explains too little on what really happened there is disturbing. The events take place in Somalia, in the middle of a city ala "no manīs land" but not all the ppl that were in that area of the city were bad guys, remember the scene when a ranger gets lost and ends up in a house with a woman and her children? I would have liked more explanations regarding the behavior of the Somalian ppl. Were they with or against this terrorist??

derek
04-16-2002, 08:19 PM
lobito,

the majority of those fighting our troops were adid's militia. however, some were enraged townfolk who were just looking to exact revenge for the american's invading their territory. as you probably recall, not all the somalies were against the rangers. just those in adid controlled territory. the majority were glad they were there restoring order to the "wild west" that is somalia.

remember when the rangers were running to the stadium, the people around that area were cheering them on.:)

there is only so much they can cram into a 2 plus hour film. maybe a mulit part mini series ala band of brothers would of explained the story a little better.

Eternal Padawan
05-24-2003, 10:43 AM
I am impatiently waiting for the three disc DVD to come out. I really have a hankering to watch this movie again. I haven't seen it since it was in the theatre.

derek
05-24-2003, 03:27 PM
here is a link to a speech/presentation given recently by mike durant, the surviving "BHD" blackhawk pilot:

http://www.booktv.org/ram/feature/0503/btv051003_4.ram

dr_evazan22
05-24-2003, 04:18 PM
If you get the chance, watch "The Real Story Of BHD" on the History channel. It is a 2 hour show w/ input from Mark Bowden, the guy who origianlly wrote the newspaper series/article, as well as surviving members of the raid. I've seen it twice now.

Interestingly enough, Aidid's son was a Marine who was stationed there in Somalia and later took Aidid's place as head of the clan.

James Boba Fettfield
05-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22
If you get the chance, watch "The Real Story Of BHD" on the History channel.

They're putting that on the 3 disc set for Black Hawk Down.

dr_evazan22
05-25-2003, 11:30 PM
Cool! I'll make sure I get that. I almost bought it from the History channel.

Tycho
11-22-2006, 10:19 PM
A really good movie. If you want a film with a lot of hardcore combat and no soft-touch sequences, this is it! Black Hawk Down never slows down. They hit the mission about a half hour into the film and the guns barely ever stop after that. THIS is a war movie!

I agree with the posters that suggested that more information on Aidid's history and objectives as well as Pakistan's involvement and its objectives would be welcome. I think the subject area could be revisited for a prequel actually - maybe a movie about Aidid and what the stratgies and concerns being laid out in the UN were at the time.

A sequel would also be of interest, as this movie was strongly focused on the US soldiers. Meanwhile, what was actually accomplished in Somalia? You know in San Diego there is a large community of Somali refugees. What did they leave behind? What is life like for them now? How divided are their families? What issues about tribes and clans are still prevalent? Here and in the home country?

Meanwhile, it was horrible as to what our troops faced. If I were President, would I have sent them in there? Should our military serve with the UN? If we must, can we be freed up to deploy the worst in our arsenol? (short range nukes if need be?) If this was to be a conventional arms fight, should we have deployed a whole invasion force and just mowed everyone down off the rooftops etc? We had the manpower it would seem. The idea was that we weren't going to stand for genocide inflicted on civilians. If the Somalia militia was going to stand against us, why didn't we just eliminate all of them? If they put down their guns, we wouldn't shoot at them. It was such a "banana republic" over there it was unbelievable.

I'm sure to have a lot more thoughts about this movie. I'm glad I finally watched it.

Rocketboy
11-22-2006, 10:29 PM
While the movie condensed much of the book (and characters), it is still one of my favorite war movies. Very well done.

A sequel would also be of interest, as this movie was strongly focused on the US soldiers.Black Hawk Down 2: Electric Boogaloo? There is nothing more to tell about what happened on that day.

Meanwhile, what was actually accomplished in Somalia?Absolutely nothing because Bubba Clinton ripped everyone out of there after the incident.

Tycho
11-22-2006, 10:42 PM
There is nothing more to tell about what happened on that day.

"On that day" - I'll agree with you. But the before and after interest me. It might not end up being an action movie at all - but a drama about what was unfolding in the UN and in the Clinton White House, etc. - but perhaps there'd be some action sequences with Aidid.

Absolutely nothing because Bubba Clinton ripped everyone out of there after the incident.

Again, I'd like to know why? If Clinton became a coward about it, (or his poll ratings or whatever) I'd like to see that and what his supposed reasoning was.

Rocketboy
11-22-2006, 11:13 PM
"On that day" - I'll agree with you. But the before and after interest me. It might not end up being an action movie at all - but a drama about what was unfolding in the UN and in the Clinton White House, etc. - but perhaps there'd be some action sequences with Aidid.That sounds like a very boring movie. Read the book. It sheds a lot of light on the subject.

Again, I'd like to know why? If Clinton became a coward about it, (or his poll ratings or whatever) I'd like to see that and what his supposed reasoning was.Pubic outrage is a powerful thing. Americans don't like seeing the bodies of dead soldiers, killed in battle during a mission that they knew little to nothing about, being dragged through the streets on CNN.

Tycho
11-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Pubic outrage is a powerful thing. Americans don't like seeing the bodies of dead soldiers, killed in battle during a mission that they knew little to nothing about, being dragged through the streets on CNN.

In there lies a lesson for George W. Bush, as well.