PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember this movie?

El Chuxter
01-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Something I just read reminded me of this movie I saw as a kid that I've not thought about in over 15-20 years, and it's bugging the crap out of me.

It aired on HBO a lot in the early 80s, and was a mix of animation and live action. It took place in Australia, and I think the story had something to do with a kid getting lost in the outback and being guided home by a talking animated kangaroo who changed to a normal live-action kangaroo in the end.

The bit that stands out the most (and what brought it suddenly to mind) is a scene where the kid is in a cave full of aboriginal paintings, and there's a sequence where the cave paintings sort of come to life and reenact an aboriginal ritual in which a tribe member is sacrificed to keep away a creature (or spririt) called the Bunyip.

I know that's not enough to do a search with (at least not without coming up with enough useless info to have to sort through for hours). This is really bugging me right now, so if you have any info, please share.

Lord Malakite
01-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Dot and the Kangaroo. Would that be it?

Kidhuman
01-21-2006, 12:29 AM
The bit that stands out the most (and what brought it suddenly to mind) is a scene where the kid is in a cave full of aboriginal paintings, and there's a sequence where the cave paintings sort of come to life and reenact an aboriginal ritual in which a tribe member is sacrificed to keep away a creature (or spririt) called the Bunyip.

That sounds like the Clone Wars cartoon to me.

Rogue II
01-21-2006, 05:42 PM
I know I saw Dot and the Kangaroo, but don't remember much about it other than the frogs that sang something about being a frog on a log.

El Chuxter
01-23-2006, 05:52 PM
It may be it, but I'm not sure. I'll have to find out.

James Boba Fettfield
01-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Just look at the IMDB message board for that film. One of the topics is about that Bunyip thing.

Seems like quite a well liked film, too.