PDA

View Full Version : Target jacks up ROTS basic prices to match TSC

JediTricks
01-20-2006, 10:47 PM
It's true, I was at Target last night and they had a couple ROTS figures that hadn't seen shelves before next to the TSC Carkoon wave figs. I took the Mon Cal senator fig over to the scanner expecting him to be $1.18 or less the way the Neimoidian Warrior I bought last week was, and the stupid ROTS figure was $6.99! Can you believe the gall?

Bacta Beast
01-20-2006, 11:13 PM
the thing that really worries me about these price increases, is the way stores will interpret the down turn in sales. "Oh, this Star Wars thing must be over now, we better stop/slow down ordering". Hey idiots! bring the price back down! You'll sell more!

Kidhuman
01-21-2006, 12:28 AM
What a rip off. Cant they tell they are different sku's and were discontinued. What mongoloids.

Slicker
01-21-2006, 02:11 AM
This really sucks as I still need several ROTS figures. I can't believe that they'd raise the cost of ROTS figures as I'm sure that they'll just sit on shelves not that the TSC waves have arrived.

jedi master sal
01-21-2006, 03:42 AM
Par for the course with one of the "Big Box" retail chains.

I'd be surprised if Target stays at the higher price for either ROTS or TSC for that matter, for long. Wal*mart will blow these out at $5.88. Once target starts to get a glut of product, they'll wisen up. (Hopefully)

DarthQuack
01-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Just freaking clearance them, what a crock of BS.

mikey1974
01-21-2006, 07:58 PM
K-B toys is doing the same thing...a week ago i found ask aak (FINALLY!!!!!) , tarkin,meena tills, dark wookie,threepio,and #50 anakin at the nearest one...only needed ask aak,and he rang up $6.99 at the register,the same price as TSC han,leia, and bib i bought on the same receipt....

UKWildcat
01-21-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm shocked!

I have seen one, count 'em, ONE ROTS figure the past month and that was about a week ago at WM. It was an Anakin #28 (I believe) w/ Sith Eyes and it rang up for $3.00 so I bought it. Other than that, I haven't seen one ROTS figure since before Christmas. Not only am I shocked that you all are still finding them, but that they are ringing up at the absurd price of $6.99. :eek:

Jango Speck
01-22-2006, 12:56 AM
As for Target, did anyone actually talk to an employee or manager to see if they'd honor the old prices?

As for KB- wasn't $6.99 the regular price for ROTS? I don't believe they've ever gone on sale- so that's not exactly a price-hike.

JediTricks
01-22-2006, 03:22 AM
I didn't talk to them, but they don't pricematch at all anymore and generally never pricematched clearance items unless they were identical (because clearance prices are apparently somewhat up to the discression of the toy manager or something, I had a fuss with them about a vehicle - I think a b-wing - back in the day over this same sort of thing).

Bacta is totally right, the price increase just hurts the sales and makes the line look bad, then they see weaker sales and take even more drastic measures (and the price hike was likely due to the fear of weakening sales in the first place).

UKWildcat
01-22-2006, 10:06 AM
As for KB- wasn't $6.99 the regular price for ROTS? I don't believe they've ever gone on sale- so that's not exactly a price-hike.

Yeah, $6.99 was their regular price (along with Kmart). There for a while KB did have a 2 for $12 sale going on though.

Kidhuman
01-22-2006, 10:58 AM
6.99 was always K-B's prices, even in the vintage days it seems.

El Chuxter
01-22-2006, 12:51 PM
I found an Obi-Wan Starfighter sitting on an endcap with clearance stuff at Target yesterday. There was no price sticker on it, so I took it to the scanner to see what sort of a bargain it was.

$19.99!

To paraphrase Eddie Murphy: "$19.99? This is not a bargain for me!"

K M Toydarian
01-22-2006, 02:53 PM
After a round of Target clearance/reset sometimes certain toys skus revert back to the current price of its equivalent. The clearance status goes away after a few weeks of 75% off, so now the old figs ring up with the new price. I noticed that the blaster assortment went on clearance for 4.98, with a shelf tag and everything, but now my Targets are restocking them and they are back to 19.99. Although a few get scattered among the clearance stuff, the vehicle assortment always remained at regular price. (Except Plo Koon's figther - which was a different sku) I swear I THOUGHT I found vehicles on clearance at first, and they may have been, but soon after they were normal price again.

Hellboy
01-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately Target is the main source for SW figures in my area but I'm not cool with this price hike so I've been going out of my way to hit Wal-Mart a bit more lately. I haven't seen any ROTS for quite some time but $5.88 for the new Saga figures is certainly better than $6.99.

JediTricks
01-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I found an Obi-Wan Starfighter sitting on an endcap with clearance stuff at Target yesterday. There was no price sticker on it, so I took it to the scanner to see what sort of a bargain it was.

$19.99!

To paraphrase Eddie Murphy: "$19.99? This is not a bargain for me!" The Obi-Wan JSF has never been on clearance at Target, I've been checking every single time I've visited since last Dec, never any stickers and never any cheaper in the computer. Somebody probably just left it in the clearance section when they found something else.

El Chuxter
01-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah, but my point is the stupid thing has been there for going on nine months with nary a markdown, and Target has been known to mark items down within a mere two weeks.

JediTricks
01-23-2006, 04:36 PM
They're probably not clearancing vehicles because the same vehicles are available in this year's TSC line. It's like in late '04 when they didn't clearance the LEGO Millennium Falcon even though it had been out for half a year at that point, they waited until just now to clearance it because it was still shipping for the next year.

El Chuxter
01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah, that's a possibility. But I've seen, on multiple occasions, Target clearance something out, then restock with the exact same thing at full price a week later.

Kidhuman
01-24-2006, 12:47 AM
They did the same thing with the cup sets.

lukesky27
01-24-2006, 11:58 AM
They did the same thing with the cup sets.

I saw the same thing at Target with the Cups. They have twice marked them down to clearance, sold them and restocked them at my Target. So, I am not surprised that they are doing this with the figures. On the other hand, I have not seen a ROTS figure at Target since the third week of December.
I saw ONE at Toys R Us on Sunday and it was regular price there.

D:bandit:

timmae
01-24-2006, 09:45 PM
ive been done with rots for a while. bring on the next wave of saga already.:whip:

rem rem kinobi
01-26-2006, 05:57 AM
picked up 3 clone troopers for 1.18ea. today.

JediTricks
01-26-2006, 09:28 PM
At Target? That's pretty strange, I guess it's different for each store maybe? And #6 or #41?

rem rem kinobi
01-27-2006, 05:27 AM
they're #6..i also thought it was strange...oh well

K M Toydarian
01-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Picked up a ROTS Palpatine for 1.18 yesterday in LA. Guess clearance prices are still sticking around a while longer here.