PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Lee takes digs at young actors

JediTricks
01-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Found this on IMDB yesterday:

British acting legend Christopher Lee has slammed Hollywood's obsession with youth, insisting the employment of beautiful but talentless teenagers is sabotaging modern movies. The Star Wars veteran, 83, is appalled by producers' willingness to cast young stars in emotionally-complex roles, and insists a backlash is on the horizon. And he fears for the reputations of young stars, condemning Los Angeles studios for pushing their protege's too far. He says, "The problem today, and I think it's a very dangerous one for the people concerned, is that there are quite large numbers of very young men and women from 18 to 30, and they are playing very large parts in huge films and they simply, through no fault of their own, don't have the background and the experience and the knowledge to pull if off. And it's dangerous for them because if they are in one failure after another, sooner or later people are going to say, 'Well, he may have a pretty face but he's not bringing the public in.' So many of these good-looking - sometimes even pretty - boys and girls are getting these good roles and it's not fair on them. At some point it's going to catch up."

Hmm, now which movies has the respected Mr Christopher Lee done lately that had young men and women from 18 to 30 in lead roles that could be considered emotionally-complex, I wonder? :p Oh, oh, I know, it was the Lord of the Rings trilogy, because he acted in several scenes with a couple of young people and everybody considers the film's actors to be not carrying their weight in that series... hmm, no, that's not the right one, I know I'm thinking of a famous trilogy that he was a part of recently, but that wasn't the one, which one could I be thinking of? ;)

maatu
01-22-2006, 09:14 AM
even though i can only think of 2 sets of movies that he has been in . otherwise i think he has not made a movie in how many years. there is truth to what he says. hollywood is going to get a serious wake up call. when fans of movies get tired of the same crap that gets pushed down peoples throats. really it's not just movies ,it's television. But iam cool with it. The only 2 movies i saw in 2005 were star wars episode 3 (5)and 40yr old virgin.i just saw the movie saw and wedding crashers. i actually bought them.But there is truth in what count dooku says.

El Chuxter
01-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Surely it must be Phoebe Cates in Gremlins 2 he's referring to.

sith_killer_99
01-22-2006, 10:11 AM
otherwise i think he has not made a movie in how many years.

Umm, he's had over 50 roles in television and film since 1990! Remember he is a British actor and we don't get to see a lot of his work here in the states. Averaging three plus projects per year (over 58 years), even with some of those being television, is still a lot of work for an actor! In fact 1995 was the only year (since 1948) he didn't have something to add to his filmography. I don't know too many Hollywood actors who can claim as much.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000489/

I respect Mr. Lee's opinion, but at the same time he needs to realize that different people mature at different levels. However, by and large he is probably correct. As for the backlash, well, I think we are already seeing the result. Hollwood has been complaining for the last few years that boxoffice sales are slumping. In fact over the last few years there has been a steady decline in ticket sales, each year worse than the last.

Are these declines the result of what Mr. Lee is talking about, or the result of Hollywood's failure to come up with anything fresh and new? Who knows, but it's certainly worth considering.

The older truely talented actors are seeing much less screen time. Guys like Pacino, Nicholson, Ford, Freeman, De Niro, Voight, etc. are still around, but they are working in different types of films, more obscure films, not the blockbusters.

Then again Mr. Lee could be full of it. What do I know.;)

plasticfetish
01-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Hmm, now which movies has the respected Mr Christopher Lee done lately that had young men and women from 18 to 30 in lead roles that could be considered emotionally-complex, I wonder? :p This makes me think again about the Ep.3 DVD press junket, when Hayden was asked (something like) how was it to work with the older actors, and did he learn anything from them. I was expecting him to say something about having worked with Lee, but he didn't at all. I understood why he rambled on about Ian McDiarmid, but I kind of wondered about his relationship, or lack of, with Christopher Lee.

Hmmm.

jedibear
01-22-2006, 09:17 PM
This makes me think again about the Ep.3 DVD press junket, when Hayden was asked (something like) how how was it to work with the older actors, and did he learn anything from them. I was expecting him to say something about having worked with Lee, but he didn't at all. I understood why he rambled on about Ian McDiarmid, but I kind of wondered about his relationship, or lack of, with Christopher Lee.

Hmmm.

Well..Hayden's lack of comments regarding working with Lee on ROTS can be attributed to the fact that he DIDN'T work with him...
Lee's scenes were filmed via greenscreen for inclusion with the footage to be filmed with Hayden & Ewan later...he was not on the set with them. He did his ROTS scenes after completing pick-ups for ROTK before most of that scene had been shot. Also, his stunt double handled most of the duel.

I don't think (despite what some here are alluding to) that any of Lee's comments were aimed at any of his Star Wars co-stars. When I read that, the first two people ( & big films) that came to mind were Orlando Bloom ("Kingdom of Heaven") and Keira Knightly ("Pride & Prejudice") both pretty young actors in big films with complex stories and characters...both in WAY over their head. I'm sure there are others too...but again, I don't think Lee was dissing SW here...

JediTricks
01-22-2006, 10:39 PM
hollywood is going to get a serious wake up call. when fans of movies get tired of the same crap that gets pushed down peoples throats. really it's not just movies ,it's television.TV is *way* more forgiving, I suppose because it's "free", but the quality on TV ranges so heavily that I guess people just have become numb.

This makes me think again about the Ep.3 DVD press junket, when Hayden was asked (something like) how was it to work with the older actors, and did he learn anything from them. I was expecting him to say something about having worked with Lee, but he didn't at all. I understood why he rambled on about Ian McDiarmid, but I kind of wondered about his relationship, or lack of, with Christopher Lee.Besides jedibear's points, Lee was only shooting for 1 day on Ep 3 too.

plasticfetish
01-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Besides jedibear's points, Lee was only shooting for 1 day on Ep 3 too.I don't remember the question being an Episode III specific question. Ehh... not to insinuate that the two guys hate each other, I just thought it was funny that Hayden didn't toss out the obligatory, "oh yeah, and Christopher Lee is great." regardless of how much set time they had on ROTS.

but again, I don't think Lee was dissing SW here...No not specifically. He's not commenting on any one film. Just on the tendency to choose an actor because of their heartthrob appeal instead of their acting ability. Maybe you could count some of the Star Wars casting choices in there or maybe not. I think the jury's still out when it comes to deciding on how well Hayden did as the lead in what's no doubt a pretty "large part in a huge film." For sure he wasn't anywhere near the worst person that could have been cast in the role, but you do wonder about how other choices would have worked out...

JimJamBonds
01-22-2006, 11:33 PM
One more 'add on' here, even if you count AOTC Christopher Lee is only in a handfull of scenes, although from the deleted scenes from AOTC we know that there was stuff filmed with him that was cut. While I won't say his comment had nothing to do with SW I take it to be more of a comment on the business as a whole.

Captain Spoon
01-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Man I don't know what this Article is talking about. every week Christopher Lee comes over my place to watch the OC. He can't get enough!!! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't remember the question being an Episode III specific question.Well, you did mention it was on the Ep 3 DVD, what do you want? ;)

I think both Hayden and Natalie kinda weren't up to the requirements of the material in Eps 2 and 3, though Natalie held up better in 2 than 3.

plasticfetish
01-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Well, you did mention it was on the Ep 3 DVD, what do you want?I meant that it was at the press junket, during the Q&A.

If Natalie Portman handled "the material" better in either movie, it's only because the material wasn't all that challenging... but that's a whole 'nother can of worms. :speech:

JediTricks
01-23-2006, 04:38 PM
That's the press junket for EPISODE III, right? :p

plasticfetish
01-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I think so, let me see what it says on the pass they gave me. ;)
(...but you know people are desperately asking all kinds of questions. Considering that it was probably one of the last meet and greets of its kind.)

But anywho...

CaptainSolo1138
01-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Man I don't know what this Article is talking about. every week Christopher Lee comes over my place to watch the OC. He can't get enough!!! :thumbsup:
The visual alone is worth it.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Besides, we all know Hayden is so dreamy that he couldn't have learned anything from that creepy old Christopher Lee. :p I met a woman at Target a few weeks ago who was RABID about Hayden, it was a little odd.

seanmcfripp
01-25-2006, 07:56 AM
We haven't had a good Prequel hatuhs vs. Prequel luvuhs dabate in a while, so I'll stir the pot...

Chistopher Lee is a hatuh! That's one more for our team!

*crowd chants from the background*

HATE! HATE! HATE! HATE!

:)

JediTricks
01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Hmm, whose opinion shall I respect, an established and respected actor whose career has spanned 60 years, or the prequel fanboy mentality? :p

(cheap shot alert!!! :D)

plasticfetish
01-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Chistopher Lee is a hatuh! That's one more for our team!Lee might be a player hater, but I don't think he hates the player. What he's saying is that he hates the game. In Count Dooku/Silky Johnson voice... "And now Hayden, I am going to go home in order to put some fresh water in your mother's water drinking bowl. Ha-Ha Ha."

seanmcfripp
01-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Lee might be a player hater, but I don't think he hates the player. What he's saying is that he hates the game. In Count Dooku/Silky Johnson voice... "And now Hayden, I am going to go home in order to put some fresh water in your mother's water drinking bowl. Ha-Ha Ha."

At which point Lee yells "Hit me!", and 2 women from his entourage apply hairspray to his silver coif. Dooku should've had a sequined cape.

JimJamBonds
01-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Hmm, whose opinion shall I respect, an established and respected actor whose career has spanned 60 years, or the prequel fanboy mentality? :p

(cheap shot alert!!! :D)

Yup Gremlins II is one for the ages. ;)

JediTricks
01-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Yup Gremlins II is one for the ages. ;)I'm sorry, did you say something about Howard the Duck? :p

The 'Xir
01-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry, did you say something about Howard the Duck? :p

"YO! That's a DUCK Maann, a duck!" :D

JimJamBonds
01-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm sorry, did you say something about Howard the Duck? :p

..... no but now that you bring it up........