PDA

View Full Version : Sound the alarm! Hasbro screws with Cody!!

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 04:59 AM
Unbee-freakin-leavable!!!!! :upset: Look at this!!!!!http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=5192&zoneid=2

No ball joint shoulders, no ball joint elbows. no ankle joints!!!!:upset:

This tears it!! Those guys are idiots!!!!

Incidentally, I suspected all this when the first pics were released, but I had hopes that they might be prototype shots and maybe the real deal wouldn't be so bad!!

mikey1974
01-25-2006, 06:37 AM
LOL!

are you REALLY surprised?

looking at it,i think i'll pass and just keep my custom one...it may not have a removable helmet,but it's super-articulated,has movie-accurate markings and chipped-paint/battle marks,and has the helmet and shoulder antenaes....

Slicker
01-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Geezum crow!! Does EVERYTHING have to be SA for people to be happy? I think it looks fine. Just be happy that they didn't stick with the same articulation as the POTF2 figures.

DarkArtist
01-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Again this could be another prototype of the figure. Afterall t is pictured on the Fireship Pilot's base. Also it could be that the joint are already bent making it seem as if there are none. To me it looks like there are elbow and knee joints. As far as the antenna, the arm is raised up abit so perhaps the picture is hiding it. In closing, I say wait until the figure is in hand before judging.

As far as the SA topic is concerned, yes it would be great to have every igure is a SA style for multiple poses, however, in order for Hasbro to do this, I think the prices would be hovering around the VOTC price tags and then there would be a whole new thread to complain in since people are already complaining about the $6.99 price at Target.

I would love for all the figures to be SA, but then again I would also like figures that look acurate and are fun to display and play with.

El Chuxter
01-25-2006, 09:19 AM
While it's a little bit of a disappointment that he doesn't have super articulation (but not the end of the world -- the figure still looks rad), I had a very disturbing mental image when I first clicked on this thread, and it's one I'm sure Temuera Morrison would not appreciate. :eek:

jedi master sal
01-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Cody doesn't look too bad. Indeed it looks like there is elbow and knee articulation At first I thought the elbow joint was a swivel like the Gunner's, but upon closer review it appears to be ball joint.

I'm not so concerned with ankle articulation as I don't use it all that often for my current figures anyway. Ball joint shoulder would have been best I agree, but swivel is fine.

really, just take a look at the detail in this figure. So they cut back on one or two joints. They gave us a great looking figure!

If you're not satisfied with it, then at least you have the parts neccessary from this one to make an SA custom Cody. I may just do that too, but will have one as first made by Hasbro.

His helmet does come off, so that's great news!

Without having it in front of me, I'd give it an initial A-. Only the addition of ball shoulder joints would have made this an A.

-Sal

Jayspawn
01-25-2006, 09:57 AM
A little dissapointing, but I'lll still get him anyways. He's still a cool enough figure.

JEDIpartner
01-25-2006, 10:16 AM
The articulation it has is sufficient. He was a minor character anyhow.

lukesky27
01-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I really like the looks of the figure. Hasbro is not going to SA everything just because we want it. I will buy Cody, if I ever see him anywhere around here just because he was more than minor.

But, I would like to see ball shoulders for most figures, but I would also like to see a large bag of money sitting on my front porch to buy them all with. Neither is going to happen, so I will deal with it. :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
01-25-2006, 12:28 PM
I would also like to see a large bag of money sitting on my front porch to buy them all with. Neither is going to happen, so I will deal with it. :thumbsup:

Wouldn't we all??!!! :laugh:

Deoxyribonucleic
01-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Just be happy that they didn't stick with the same articulation as the POTF2 figures.

and the buffness ;)

JEDIpartner
01-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Awwww... you mean you weren't into the genetic recombinant of Luke, Han or Lando with The Incredible Hulk?

Darth Cruel
01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Geezum crow!! Does EVERYTHING have to be SA for people to be happy? I think it looks fine. Just be happy that they didn't stick with the same articulation as the POTF2 figures.

Ummm....Yeah! I don't know about anybody else. But yes I do want super articualtion on every figure that it is possible to have it on. I don't even pretend to know how Hasbro thinks, but with all of the customs that were made of Cody...it appears that it would have taken minimal alteration to the #41 clone to get a great Cody sculpt. I can only imagine that a very small part of the reason for the disc-joint shoulders is the antenna on his left shoulder. I am having trouble understanding the rest. And make no mistake at all...I DO expect more than we get for the money we pay. And I DO get angry because to quit collecting is not an option for me.

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 01:19 PM

Does everything have to be SA? No! Should certain characters? Escpecially ones we've been begging and clamoring for? Yes! It's not like Hasbro doesn't have the parts! I expect more from Hasbro than those "Master's of the Universe" figures masquerading as Star Wars toys! they have the technology, it doesn't cost that frickin' much more, and they know we want it! So what's the deal?!!!! Why produce a character that fans have been clamoring for like Cody with limited articulation, when a general troop (#6 and #41, At-St driver) have complete articulation! I don't want an answer to that question, I want Hasbro to wise up and give us what we want!

El Chuxter
01-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Actually, the latest line of MOTU figures from Mattel were all super-articulated. ;)

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Again this could be another prototype of the figure. Afterall t is pictured on the Fireship Pilot's base. Also it could be that the joint are already bent making it seem as if there are none. To me it looks like there are elbow and knee joints. As far as the antenna, the arm is raised up abit so perhaps the picture is hiding it. In closing, I say wait until the figure is in hand before judging.

As far as the SA topic is concerned, yes it would be great to have every igure is a SA style for multiple poses, however, in order for Hasbro to do this, I think the prices would be hovering around the VOTC price tags and then there would be a whole new thread to complain in since people are already complaining about the $6.99 price at Target.

I would love for all the figures to be SA, but then again I would also like figures that look acurate and are fun to display and play with.

I really doubt at this point that we'll see major changes to the sculpt. Like I said I waited to see hi res pics before I launched into my tirade. They revealed pics long enough ago, and usually by the time these types of pics surface it's not too long before we start seeing them in stores. If these were trade show pics, I would agree, but I just don't trust Hasbroke any farther than I can throw them!

Next . . .:frus: :frus: :frus: !!!! I'm sorry, I just can't swallow that anymore!!!! That's bullcrap!!!!! Articulation alone does not demand a higher price tag!!!! Look at C-3PO and Obi-Wan from the same line, same price less posability. Then look at the #6, #41 clones and At-Rt driver. More articulation for less money. Look at the ROTS Count Dooku, and all the Jedi in that line. Even the Evolution line, though there were somethings I would have changed, featured more articulation at less than $10 a figure! Look at the GI Joe RAH lines! Two completely articulated figures for less than $8!!! No, I refuse to except the line about more articulation coming with a higher price tag anymore!!!! And besides that everyone but Wal-Mart is charging more per figure now! So why not get something for our money besides little hologram figurines! There wasn't any fan demand for those, but there was a definite out cry for an SA Commander Cody!! And it looks like we're still waiting!!

And SA figure are more fun to play with!!!:yes:

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Actually, the latest line of MOTU figures from Mattel were all super-articulated. ;)

But you get my point!

Captain Spoon
01-25-2006, 01:49 PM
They do it on purpose. First they will put out a version with bad articulation and probobly some paint apps that differ from the movie. Then they will release the same figure with corrected paint apps, then a year or so down the line they will kitbash it with SA arms and legs. So ultimately you will buy at least 3 of them

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 01:51 PM
LOL!

are you REALLY surprised?

looking at it,i think i'll pass and just keep my custom one...it may not have a removable helmet,but it's super-articulated,has movie-accurate markings and chipped-paint/battle marks,and has the helmet and shoulder antenaes....

I guess I'm not really surprised. Maybe a little that Hasbro hasn't learned anything from the success of the #41 clones, and all the noise that fans were making for a Cody figure. It seems like it would take a real idiot at the helm to screw this one up! Like a said I thought the Lee's toy review photos looked like Cody was lacking something but I couldn't tell for sure as they weren't vary good quality, and I still hoped at that point that they were just protos. Now, however, I fear it's too late for this one! But I want to raise an outcry amongst the fans who care, and feel the same same way I do. I want to let Hasbro know, they screwed up! Make another one, make it right! Don't make it an online exclusive! I'll buy the crappy one first, and when the good ones comes out, I'll by multiples!! A fool and his money, so on and so forth.:rolleyes:

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 01:58 PM
They do it on purpose. First they will put out a version with bad articulation and probobly some paint apps that differ from the movie. Then they will release the same figure with corrected paint apps, then a year or so down the line they will kitbash it with SA arms and legs. So ultimately you will buy at least 3 of them

If I were confident that this were the case I wouldn't be so upset. But Like I've said before I don't trust Hasbro, and with the line waning til' the TV show arrive, it's even less likely I'm afraid. What I mean is, sure they have a lot of cool things on tap but you never know when a drop in sales (due to stupid price increase, or fans being upset at stupid sculpts) will cause things to take a turn for the worse. Now if the show comes out, and Cody is in it, then sure maybe there's a chance. However, without that, I doubt it.

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Let's see, I'm not complaining about the lack of articulation on; Lushros Dofine (though he should at least be able to set), the firespeeder pilot (I will by multiples), Gen. Veers, Bib Fortuna, I could go on but you get the idea. On certain characters it can be overlooked, but not on others. Cody is a characters that demands SA!!

Devo
01-25-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't agree that Cody [B]demanded[B] superarticulation because the character really didn't do much except show a bit more personality than other clones. His physical movements were no more than Bib Fortuna so in this sense I don't think SA was an imperative. However I agree that it makes no sense that Hasbro have declined to give him Superarticulation considering the massive demand for this character to be made (inexplicable demand IMO but huge nonetheless). Minor adjustments to existing SA clone moulds would have satisfied many people. Commander Bly fell below Cody on people's wishlists and yet was based on a massively articulated existing Clone mould....so what happened with Cody?

JediTricks
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Looks like the ankles aren't articulated either, and the elbows could be swivels or uni-joints, it's hard to tell. Seems like they wanted to make a new body and ended up making it worse than the old one. The only parts that seem like they'd need to be new are the head, helmet, upper torso, and upper arms with those larger shoulderpads (which would have limited shoulder mobility anyway).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Way to get anal over nothing! He has more than enough articulation. It looks to me like he has:
*ball joint head
*regular shoulders
*ball joint elbows
*regular wrists
*ball joint waist/midriff
*regular legs
*ball joint knees

Yeah, Hasbro really slapped us in the face on this one. :rolleyes: I mean, Cody is cool but he didn't do a whole lot in the film anyway.

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't agree that Cody [B]demanded[B] superarticulation because the character really didn't do much except show a bit more personality than other clones. His physical movements were no more than Bib Fortuna so in this sense I don't think SA was an imperative. However I agree that it makes no sense that Hasbro have declined to give him Superarticulation considering the massive demand for this character to be made (inexplicable demand IMO but huge nonetheless). Minor adjustments to existing SA clone moulds would have satisfied many people. Commander Bly fell below Cody on people's wishlists and yet was based on a massively articulated existing Clone mould....so what happened with Cody?

I knew someone was going to split hairs over that statement. Bib Fortuna didn't have any fight scenes, didn't come sailing down from an attack ship, and he didn't bend over to pick up a light sabre! Cody part in the movie, while short, was more active than Bib's. And don't forget the scenes fromthe Clone Wars cartoon! Some folks will want him for that. Bottom line is, he's just a cool character, and alot of folks would like to be able to pose however they want. Not just however Hasbro wants.

Bacta Beast
01-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah, Hasbro really slapped us in the face on this one. :rolleyes: I mean, Cody is cool but he didn't do a whole lot in the film anyway.

Way to agree!!:rolleyes: Thanks!!! You're absolutely right they did slap us in the face on this one:yes: !! I'm so glad you see it our way:D! You see, if we all say the same thing, maybe, just maybe, Hasbro will listen. Raising prices, reigning in articulation!! Yep, I do consider it a bit of a put off! Yep, Cody didn't do a whole lot in the film. But neither did Aayla Secura, or Kit Fisto and they both have better articulation. So how about if from now on no one cares about any background characters?!!! Yeah, we'll just set back, shut up, and be content with every Han, Luke, Vader, and R2 repack they send us!:rolleyes:
Gawd what was I thinking?!!!!

Kidhuman
01-26-2006, 01:59 AM
Good enough for me, I'll take one or two.

Jaff
01-26-2006, 02:04 AM
In comparisson to vintage and early Power of the Force articulation I have zero problems with Cody. He looks good. Heck I even like the clone boy that came with Lama Su. If you want to talk articulation gripes thats the fig to talk about.

mabudonicus
01-26-2006, 08:33 AM
He looks pretty good, all things considered, at least he's WAYbetter than commander baccarra

on a side note, I never knew there was a character named Foul Moudama.. it's funny, not sure what language exactly it's from, but it is dang close to a name for some kind of lentil/chick-pea dish I've had before called Foul Moummadas (might be Hindu?? or middle-eastern somewheres)
either way, good companion to Shu-mai (pork dumplings)

El Chuxter
01-26-2006, 09:42 AM
I understand there will be a recurring character in the cartoon named Jamba Laya.

mabudonicus
01-26-2006, 10:33 AM
ahh, Gumbo File would be the sidekick, I would imagine ;)

And here is a link to the origin of the name,boundless imagination revealed (http://www.recipezaar.com/133315) it actually IS Foul Mudamas, so if anyone tries to sell you some F.U. "explanation" or a fancy "ancient aboriginal goddess" tie-in, NOPE, they just saw it at a Lebanese grocery store and figured nerds would not figure it out, since they don't serve the dish at BK or taco bell :beard:

JEDIpartner
01-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Foul Mudamas...they just saw it at a Lebanese grocery store and figured nerds would not figure it out, since they don't serve the dish at BK or taco bell :beard:

I've been saying that for a couple months now, bro! LOL I get that at the local Middle Eastern restaurants all the time. It's YUM DEEEE-RICIOUS!!!! :love: Then, there's the whole shu-mai thing. I wonder if they got "Yoda" from "gyoza"?

JediTricks
01-26-2006, 10:41 PM
In comparisson to vintage and early Power of the Force articulation I have zero problems with Cody. In comparison to the caveman days, my old Datsun B210 looks good.

You guys are accepting an awful lot of shoddy treatment at the hands of Hasbro, they raised the price over figures like Pilot Obi-Wan a buck and we can't even get an articulated clonetrooper body, yet some of you go "whatever, just get over it" like it's not a wasted opportunity??? Boy, if I were a fan of Cody or ROTS I'd be freakin' steamed about this - it's not a "disaster" but it's not something good either.

Show of hands, who here who says "no big deal" is an MOC collector?

Kidhuman
01-26-2006, 11:05 PM
I am an MOc collector. What did he do in the movie besides pick up Obi-Wans saber and point to him on a mountain side anyway?

JediTricks
01-26-2006, 11:23 PM
So they should be statues limited to 3 POA based on what they did in the movie? That's what statues are for. Cody led troops into battle and fought alongside a heroic Jedi general, some collectors who buy action figures may want to go *beyond* the movie with their stuff.

Turbowars
01-26-2006, 11:26 PM
It's not a huge issue with me, but sure it would had been nice if he was SA. Chances are I would put him in a stance with his gun in his arms anyways. I just hope all the detail is there when he comes out. If a lot of that is lost then I'll be mad as hell. I'll open one of these guys and keep one carded. The good thing about theis figure is that he's not a army builder.

Kidhuman
01-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Yeah, but if that was the case, he would have a wind up action feature that makes me scoot axcross the battlefield and have comm tech chips saying attack. He is just fine the way he is.

Turbowars
01-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Yeah, but if that was the case, he would have a wind up action feature that makes me scoot axcross the battlefield and have comm tech chips saying attack. He is just fine the way he is.Yeah thats how I pretty much feel. Did you take he wrong?

Kidhuman
01-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I love it, like you, as long as detail is good, POA is meh.....not like you can do a whole bunch of things anyways besides pose him in a few stances.

Jaff
01-27-2006, 02:07 AM
In comparison to the caveman days, my old Datsun B210 looks good.

You guys are accepting an awful lot of shoddy treatment at the hands of Hasbro, they raised the price over figures like Pilot Obi-Wan a buck and we can't even get an articulated clonetrooper body, yet some of you go "whatever, just get over it" like it's not a wasted opportunity??? Boy, if I were a fan of Cody or ROTS I'd be freakin' steamed about this - it's not a "disaster" but it's not something good either.

Whoaaaa senator, don't put folks on execution blocks just yet. The point is I'm thankful for whenever hasbro makes a new sculpt that looks good. Being angry about Hasbro for articulation seems like a moot point to me since I just stand up the figs or keep them in packages. Five years ago noone was complaining about the POTJ line (which is considered one of the best by the way), and now we have tasted some sugar, ignoring the meal. My meal is new sculpts, not rehashes, not articulation, not silver figs, not retooled figs.

As long as Hasbro makes new figures never seen before I will be thankful for what they release, articulation is like garnish where I am concerned.

UKWildcat
01-27-2006, 02:21 AM

*Hesitantly raises his hand and hopes that JT doesn't slash it off*

Deoxyribonucleic
01-27-2006, 02:55 AM
I'm not interested in this figure at all (more for you guys) but when I saw the picture I wondered why they didn't just use the SA Clone body?? They already have the sculpt...make a new head (if it's new, I dunno they all look alike to me) and paint it orange. Not hard, not hard!

plasticfetish
01-27-2006, 04:40 AM
I just want to say that I'm OUTRAGED!!!
In comparison to the caveman days, my old Datsun B210 looks good.The Datsun B210 is a fine and reliable automobile. Some of my fondest memories were made in one of those cars. OUTRAGED!!! :frus: :frus: :frus:

...and, uh... the Cody figure looks pretty good I suppose. ;) I'm honestly getting kind of burned-out on clones at this point though. Some real shoulder and ankle articulation would be great, but considering that I never saw a 501st clone, I'll just wait 'til I see this one in the stores before I really start caring.

What's up with the cheese on his feet though?

Darth Cruel
01-27-2006, 09:45 AM
I am a mint on card collector who buys extras of characters I like a lot like Chewbacca and army builders to open so I still want the articulation, even in the figures I don't open. If I want a statue, I will go to Sideshow or buy the Unleashed. I buy action figures for the figures poseability. They are "Action" figures, not "Static" figures. And Cody was a huge let-down for me. When I saw the first shots with the #41 belt and chest articulation, I thought Hasbro had finally done a perfect figure. And being as cool-looking as the Character is...he was probably my favorite clone in the movies. I take articulation very seriously.

On the other hand...I am glad to say that I can step into the shoes of other people and understand how they feel about characteristics of the items they collect. So, even if I don't place importance on the same things they do...I would never dog them for their opinions.

El Chuxter
01-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I open all mine and I don't think it's the end of the world. A little disappointing, but I'm not going to drink a gallon lye and liie down on the train tracks over it.

Devo
01-27-2006, 12:09 PM
To clarify - I don't hugely care that Cody doesn't have every possible joint articulated however I can certainly empathise with the expressions of outrage at why he isn't. A figure as hugely requested as he is clearly warrants as much effort as Hasbro can provide and that should have been obvious to them. Lesser Clone figures have been given full articulation so it seems a crime, and a dumb crime at that. This figure by rights shouldn't even have been a kitbash using good parts from previous clones, even though they could get away with that. It should have been an entirely new SA sculpt, leaving the kitbashing for core character rereleases (not that I endorse that but if they have to)

Kidhuman
01-27-2006, 04:17 PM
But dont you see, becuase it is hugely demanded and everyone wants one, release the non SA version and get all of us to buy it and then release an SA version for us to pay twice as much for and buy that as well.

JediTricks
01-27-2006, 10:04 PM
The Datsun B210 is a POS, and get this, Datsun only made 7 different ignition/door keys, so it's really easy to steal them (which happened to the one I had, the cops later found it and none of the locks had been popped).

We're not collecting McFarlane or Unleashed here, these are still authentic action figures and Hasbro should treat them as such. There have been enough good comments supporting the idea of this figure having more articulation that I don't need to really say anything else.

plasticfetish
01-28-2006, 12:28 AM
The Datsun B210 is a POS, and get this, Datsun only made 7 different ignition/door keys, so it's really easy to steal them (which happened to the one I had, the cops later found it and none of the locks had been popped).Funny that you'd say that, because the last year of my Datsun's life was spent without an ignition lock -- after I got it back from the impound yard down in San Ysidro (across from Tijuana for those that don't know.) Just the same, I sold that thing off with a broken tranny for $700 when I was done with it.

Will the Cody figure be worth 1% of that when it comes out? Only time will tell I suppose.

TheBlackDog
01-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Funny that you'd say that, because the last year of my Datsun's life was spent without an ignition lock -- after I got it back from the impound yard down in San Ysidro (across from Tijuana for those that don't know.) Just the same, I sold that thing off with a broken tranny for $700 when I was done with it.

Will the Cody figure be worth 1% of that when it comes out? Only time will tell I suppose.

Not the best looking of cars, but my B210 got me thorugh high school. I have very fond memories that were made in the B210. My sister got it when I left and when I left it had 100k miles. She had to have a value job done to it, and then an alternator, and regular maintence, but that car went until 210k miles, so we got our money's worth out of it.

Darth Cruel
01-28-2006, 09:23 AM
The Datsun B210 is a POS, and get this, Datsun only made 7 different ignition/door keys, so it's really easy to steal them (which happened to the one I had, the cops later found it and none of the locks had been popped).

We're not collecting McFarlane or Unleashed here, these are still authentic action figures and Hasbro should treat them as such. There have been enough good comments supporting the idea of this figure having more articulation that I don't need to really say anything else.

Off-topic note: JT - ALL car manufacturers limit the number of different keys for their automobile models. I believe that my beloved Ford has 8. I used to drive a bobtail truck for a living. And when the company I worked for lost the keys to a Ford truck I used from time-to-time, I used that knowledge to discover that the key for my Escort worked perfectly to start the truck. And there were about 12-15 years of difference in the models. And I thought at first that the ignition was worn...but other guys tried to use their own Ford keys in it and none of the others worked.

JediTricks
01-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Funny that you'd say that, because the last year of my Datsun's life was spent without an ignition lock -- after I got it back from the impound yard down in San Ysidro (across from Tijuana for those that don't know.) Just the same, I sold that thing off with a broken tranny for $700 when I was done with it.Man, was there a gold brick in the trunk or something? You got PAAAAIIIIID on that deal! That wimpy B210 engine probably couldn't haul a single gold brick anyway though. :p I still can't figure out why anybody would want to steal one either, it's like stealing an old pee-soaked sofa missing all its cushions and half its springs off the curb.

plasticfetish
01-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Hahahahahaha.

There's a good reason why that car or any other running (if only barely) Datsun, Toyota or Honda with nearly 200k miles on it would sell in Southern California for that much... but we'd need to take this to the pit to continue.