PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

Maxu3x
01-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I've been thinking about getting a limited edition lightsaber but they're so expensive and I would have to be certain that I would like it enough to spend 300+ dollars. I have some minis but I want at least one real sized one. It seems to me that most of you people have no problem shelling out that kind of cash on helmets, statues, or lightsabers. Is there a limit to how much you would spend on these things? Afterall, they are just for aesthetic purposes and don't really "do" anything.

JediTricks
01-25-2006, 04:31 PM
I only have Force FXs so far, so "too much" apparently is $120 before tax. ;) A few months before MR hit the scene, I bought a fanmade Luke ROTJ replica for $100 which is very very nice work, but the brass parts weren't sealed so they've tarnished a little with time, and the pommel's trapazoids are slightly curved on the inside edge rather than straight (MR got this right). So the question is what they are worth TO YOU, because each of us is different. Like, I wouldn't be willing to pay even $200 for most of the prequel sabers because they just don't do it for me, but that's the magic number for me if I wanted the Ep 1/2 Obi-Wan saber, yet when that saber came out I couldn't afford the $400 or whatever it was though and so it won't happen.

Markimus
01-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Max I once thought exactly the same way you do. Why spend all this money on these things that do nothing? Then I got my first mini - and thought these are cool. Then I ordered my first LE and I got a great deal and it looked fantastic. Its been downhill from there.

Its just something to collect. Something pricey? Yes. Some people collect old model trains, coins, etc. It is fun, and I just enjoy trying to get items for either a good price or a low plaque number.

MR says it is coming out with a CE line.. which will be cheaper than the LE but the same size. They don't have plaques and are not limited and no case - it still could be a lower cost alternative.

MR has not listed the price yet, but its cheaper than the LEs !

nash
01-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I have not spent more than $650 on a saber yet. That is why I still do not own a Obi ANH AFBB saber or maybe even the Han ANH Blaster since they go for 1k and up. I started with minis too and never thought I would be able to buy a collection of full sizes, however after getting my first full size, I made it possible for myself to obtain more. Saved money and shop smart. There are deals to be had, you just have to hunt for them. Just because they dont "do anything" physically shouldnt be the limiting factor on whether or not you spend a few hundred bucks. Its all about personal gratification and for many of us die hard collectors it's very personal as these movies have been apart of our lives and childhood in many different ways.

Good luck on your decision and If you do give in and buy your first full sized, im sure you will not be dissapointed one bit.

Jayspawn
01-26-2006, 03:02 PM
nash said it there Maxu3x. Shop smart and price compare also. Thats how I got most of my Limited Editions.

There are people out there who collect stamps or diecast cars and spend $1000s just to obtain one. Same kind of principal.

nash
01-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Jay I see you found yourself a Luke ROTJ Le. Nice grab! Im on the lookout for a US made one. and Im hunting down a shocktrooper helmet as we speak...it was just too tempting for me to pass up.

Jayspawn
01-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks nash! I also am tempted by the Shocktrooper helmet. I might hunt one down after I move this month.

nash
01-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Well looks like the hunt is over. I finally found a Shocktrooper helmet for a great deal near retail. Ive met some of the best people online from SW forums. I have to tell you, sometimes it's hard to have faith in this world about genuine people, but there definitley are a handful out there who really care about others and not only trying to get ahead for themselves. I dont know if the person I bought the helmet from frequents this forum, but I just wanted to say thank you very much for helping me out.

#4/750

Jayspawn
01-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Congratulations on that helmet nash! I know how proud you must feel (not as much as you will be when it arrives in the mail!)

Markimus
01-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Wow - Nash if know someone who has more of those Shocktrooper helmets Let me know !

BountyHunterScum
01-29-2006, 11:10 AM
I have all of the FX sabers so far. 200-400 on a single item is too much.

FalconFreak
02-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Sure these things are expensive. Anything over $100 is expensive, really. But ask yourself how much of a Star Wars freak you are and spend accordingly. I tell you what - I was thanking the Force when ICONS came out, then they went under and Master Replicas has picked up the batton and run with it! Thanks goodness for them! I have two FXs, a Darth Maul saber replica, an AT-AT, and a snow speeder. That is a lot of Republic credits for sure! And all worth it...to me. I'm going to fork out as much as it takes for the Falcon when it's ready as well. I'm not rich, but I "make it happen".

So are they worth it? - if it's worth it to you. Enjoy!!