PDA

View Full Version : Clone Turbo Tank / Juggernaut

DarkArtist
01-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Hey,
I know Hasbro has stated that they are not interested in releasing new vehicles and playsets for the Star Wars line for cost reasons. However I was just over at HasbroToyShop.com and saw this vehicle for GI Joe and thought, if Hasbro can make something like this that sells for $45 bucks then surely they can produce the Turbo Tank for around the same cost.13342

decadentdave
01-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah, it always amazes me how Hasblo can justify making new vehicles for G.I. Joe but they complain that it costs to much to produce a new mold for a Star Wars vehicle. I wish Hasblo would just sell the license to another company like they did with the 12" to Sideshow.

El Chuxter
01-25-2006, 07:14 PM
I'd happily buy one.

Kidhuman
01-26-2006, 01:58 AM
If we never got an AT-TE we wont get this unfortunately.

El Chuxter
01-26-2006, 09:41 AM
I may be totally mistaken, but wasn't this one of the prototype molds back in the 1980s when Kenner proposed continuing the line beyond ROTJ?

DarkArtist
01-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I know that there were prototypes produced but I thought they were of eaxisting star wars stuff with new color schemes, like the brown Sandspeeder. I don't remember seeing anything that had wheels though. It still strikes me odd that Hasbro is willing to create something this cool for GI Joe, and nothing for Star Wars. This is proof that Hasbro could make a decent affordable turbo tank or AT-TE.

JediTricks
01-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Hasbro doesn't have to pay licensing fees when they sell a big vehicle for GI Joe, yet the LFL licensing fees take a bite out of their profits, making it harder to turn a profit on the expensive mold required.

jedi master sal
01-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Hasbro doesn't have to pay licensing fees when they sell a big vehicle for GI Joe, yet the LFL licensing fees take a bite out of their profits, making it harder to turn a profit on the expensive mold required.

Taht's just it JT, they've ALREADY PAID THE LICENSING FEES. Why the hell would they pay $150 million or whatever that ongodly number was, to have to pay more for more toys to produce?

They paid the licenseing fees, so that's not the excuse anymore. Never really was, once they paid it. We just missed htat key factor.

They don't need to pay a new fee for each item to produce. They already have sole rights to produce 3 3/4 figs, ships, vehicles.

Now if this G.I.Joe playset/vehicle is currently on shelves (I havent seen it, but then I'm not looking at Joe stuff), then the argument about big box stores (WM, Traget, TRU) not carrying big items, is also a fallacy.

They also can't claim that Joe have a larger appeal. SW has been the biggest license for years.

No, I think it was just a big error on Hasbro's part for not capitolizing on either the AT-TE or Turbo Tank when the movies came out. Perhaps they didn't think large vehicles would sell. Indeed there's been some failures there. The biggest being the Queen's ship. While that's a GREAT playset, think about it...It's not an action driven ship, it's named the "Queen's" ship, another detractor for boys, and is a bland silver all around.

The AT-TE and Turbo Tank ARE action driven. They were used in ground based assaults, which lends itse;f VERY well to kids playing in their yards. Turbo Tank is a great name for a boy's toy.

Nah, I think this is all Hasbro's snafu. They felt like a large SW vehicle would fail because of past ones and completely missed the boat on the increasing popularity of SW as the prequels unfolded.

Gettin back to the licensing thing. I'm quite certain that when they paid the license it meant that they had teh right to produce what ever toy they wanted to make from the movie with LFL's approval (not further costs).

Who knows, maybe they did want to make the AT-TE and LFL shot their idea down...

This will be debated for years. Without ever receiving this ship or the Turbo Tank, there's no way we are going to find out the real reason why they weren't produced. Hasbro is not known for "telling all."

JediTricks
01-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Because each new SW mold is a risk against what they've already paid out, if it fails it doesn't just hurt from the mold cost, it hurts from the licensing cost. That's generally how they think there, unfortunately it's why there are so many unreleased Action Fleet pieces.

Now if this G.I.Joe playset/vehicle is currently on shelves (I havent seen it, but then I'm not looking at Joe stuff), then the argument about big box stores (WM, Traget, TRU) not carrying big items, is also a fallacy.Except that it's not in the stores, the 4" line got put into Hasbro's internet store because the line wasn't doing well enough. That's a point against this item unfortunately. As for why they don't release a Juggernaut (or better yet, an AT-TE, it's been more requested) on the web, I guess it's that risk thing again I mentioned. Large vehicles in general - not just SW - have been in decline for the past 15 years unfortunately, the toy companies don't have faith in them and don't recognize that the vehicles for SW and GI Joe sell more figures.

Devo
01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Guess I have to give my parent's credit. Because as a child I certainly wanted all the huge vehicles I could get for GI JOE and they didn't have any big hesitation in providing them. They'd at least buy it and save it for my birthday or for Christmas.

And if today's kids don't want huge vehicles I can only assume its because of increasingly short attention spans - they don't collect any given toy line long enough - rather moving with the latest fads, novelty toys and one-offs. And f***ing computer games not least.

JediTricks
01-27-2006, 10:08 PM
I believe the thinking is it's parents who don't want big vehicles, they supposedly don't want to shell out that much dough and don't have as much space to store them. I think the toy companies are wrong, and the price-to-value ratio is the real problem, I think I had a post explaining what that means in greater detail around here, but can't remember where.

jedi master sal
01-28-2006, 04:31 AM
Guess I have to give my parent's credit. Because as a child I certainly wanted all the huge vehicles I could get for GI JOE and they didn't have any big hesitation in providing them. They'd at least buy it and save it for my birthday or for Christmas.

And if today's kids don't want huge vehicles I can only assume its because of increasingly short attention spans - they don't collect any given toy line long enough - rather moving with the latest fads, novelty toys and one-offs. And f***ing computer games not least.

Ah, but strangely enough, I've actually seen MANY more kids actually buying SW toys since ROTS. I think the demand from the kid market is finally there. Maybe not as rabid as we collectors, but they want this stuff toy. I can't tell you how much it bothers me that I see kids looking for figures lately and can't find them, and end up walking dejectedly away. Hasbro is killing this line from the inside out.
One way to cut down costs is to put the larger stuff in smaller boxes. MAKE them "Some Assembly required" Not too hard to assemble mind you, just enough so that they CAN ship these in smaller boxes, making it more appealing to the retailors to stock them.

Take for instance the AT-TE. They can easily have the legs disassembled from the body. Lay them flat, stick the body on top of them and box it up. MUCH less space used that way. ALSO, since the front and back end pairs of legs are the same, that one set of molds there. The middle legs are another, then the body. Due to repetative peices, this SHOULD be a relatively easy toy to develope and manufacture. AND at a resonable price!

-Sal

DarkArtist
01-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Plus people want this. let's not forget that's the real sale here. I too get frustrated when a child is looking for a R2 or Darth Vader and can't find it because it only shipped one per case or some selfish collector is hording the entire collection. I see it all the time, Walmart, same guy buying cases from the back and having his buddy bring out the new figures and pulling out the short packed ones.

As far as people and space, the idea of smaller packaging is great, definatly would save room and as long as it wasn't too complicated to assemble it would be fine.

This is why I started this thread and the Dear Hasbro / Star Wars Collector's Society Thread, if Hasbro can make the GI Joe for it's colector's and get the sales, imagine what could be accomplished with Star Wars. Plus I don't think it's too late to start a club, If they can do it GI Joe, which has nothing right now, except that Sigma 6 stuff. Star Wars is stilling doing a TV series, cartoon, books, comics etc.

JediTricks
01-28-2006, 04:02 PM
They already do release most large vehicles in "some assembly required" form, look at the ARC-170 and the Republic Gunship.

Plus people want this.Well, that's the ultimate argument we have to make to Hasbro here, how many people want it? Will 50,000 people actually buy one? That's likely the minimum number for Hasbro, right now they're probably thinking not even 1/5th of them would and we have to convince them that's not the case.

IMO, the space issue has to be not just about assembly, but DISassembly, little Jimmy needs to be able to put his toys away, if there's nowhere to put a Republic Gunship once it's assembled then mom may be less inclined to buy it -- this is an area Hasbro has neglected up until now, I think they should refocus large vehicles into this concept, make it easy to pack back up and make the box a carrying case to put the vehicle and all its parts back into.

jedi master sal
01-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, that's the ultimate argument we have to make to Hasbro here, how many people want it? Will 50,000 people actually buy one? That's likely the minimum number for Hasbro, right now they're probably thinking not even 1/5th of them would and we have to convince them that's not the case.

IMO, the space issue has to be not just about assembly, but DISassembly, little Jimmy needs to be able to put his toys away, if there's nowhere to put a Republic Gunship once it's assembled then mom may be less inclined to buy it -- this is an area Hasbro has neglected up until now, I think they should refocus large vehicles into this concept, make it easy to pack back up and make the box a carrying case to put the vehicle and all its parts back into.

An astute observation JT.
I'd love to see the boxes these come in be used for more than just packaging. Making them as carry cases would salvage them, save on trash, make it easier to keep parts together, etc.

If you're going to Toyfair, you really need to PITCH that idea to them. I think this would make larger toys more appealing. especially to openers and kid's parents.

You are SO right about the "disassemble" factor. I almost broke a wing off of my gunship trying to disassmble it.

DarkArtist
01-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Even if they make the Turbo Tank itself into a carrying case similiar to the GI Joe personal carriers. Also as far as a vehicle being to big, can we say USS Flag ???? Over 3ft long a whopping $100 plus back in the day and yet Hasbro still made it. Even the bases for GI Joe were around $40. I think price doesn't matter and size is not a issue I think Hasbro just doesn't want to give us what we want.

JediTricks
01-30-2006, 05:20 PM
The Flagg was over 7 feet long actually, and sold 20 years ago when vehicles and playsets were at the height of their popularity. Price absolutely matters, that is what killed vehicles and playsets in the early '90s, economic downturn caused lower sales of these things, toy retailers had less faith in them because there was a higher premium on store's shelf real-estate and the toy shelflife was drastically shortened.

plasticfetish
02-05-2006, 06:30 AM
Just to echo what JT said earlier, and to agree with what Sal said about "more kids actually buying SW toys since ROTS."
And if today's kids don't want huge vehicles I can only assume its because of increasingly short attention spans - they don't collect any given toy line long enough - rather moving with the latest fads, novelty toys and one-offs. And f***ing computer games not least.In most cases (and I'm speaking as a parent) there simply has to be a limit when it comes to the amount of junk your kid has crammed in his/her room. I mean... you guys know that my kid has a ton of SW junk ;) including a bunch of vehicles (ARC-170, Falcon, X-wing, TIE, Vader's TIE, Anakin's starfighter -- both ROTS and Clone Wars, a vintage Cloud Car, Gunship, Grievous' Wheel Bike, TF Tank) Add those to the plastic bins full of figures, Beasts and a playset or two, and you've got a lot of stuff that needs to be cleaned up before bed time.

So I can see a lot of parents saying, "OK. You get to pick one big thing for your birthday and maybe another come the holidays." Most kids would just as soon have a huge pile of this stuff in the middle of their room. Watching a bunch of little guys come over for the birthday party my son had, and seeing them freak out when they saw all of his stuff (little man's standing their trying to explain where he got his Comic-Con exclusive figures and they're just gawking at the rest of it :D ) tells me that most kid's have no problem at all with wanting things like big ships.

Would my son want a Turbo Tank? Well... he is my son. ;) He's really excited about getting an AT-AT if/when the new one comes out also. I have no idea where we'll put it, but don't sweat it Hasbro, we'll find a spot.