PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Globes

SithDroid
01-22-2002, 02:02 AM
Did anyone watch the Golden Globes last night. I didn't, but I heard about some of the winners. I'd like to comment.

Best Comedy Series - Sex and the City. Why did this piece of cr*p win? It is a horrible show. Friends has never won and is 1,000 times better. Plus Sarah Jessica Parker won for Best Actress in a Comedy Series again for the third year in a row. Why? She sucks. There are far more talented people in that category than her. I like HBO, but this series has to go. Who votes for this stuff anyway?

Gene Hackman won for Best Actor in Comedy/Musical. I like Hackman, but I believe that the award should have went to Ewan McGreggor. He was awesome in Moulin Rouge. He had to sing, dance, and act. Hackman only had to act. Plus, the Royal Tennenbaums, as much as I love the peple in the cast and Owen Wilson, was not that good. I hardly laughed when I saw it.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head. If I think of anymore I want to comment about I'll post again. What do you think?

bigbarada
01-22-2002, 02:03 AM
I think LOTR got robbed.:mad:

bigbarada
01-22-2002, 02:23 AM
And just so you don't think my griping in nothing but sour grapes:

Many at the Golden Globes felt that LOTR made too much money to be considered for Best Motion Picture.:confused: Plus the Hollywood Foreign Press wanted something a little more artsy-fartsy so they chose A Beautiful Mind. :frus:

TeeEye7
01-22-2002, 04:36 AM
bigb:

Although I haven't seen 'A Beautiful Mind', I'm not suprised that it's good. You gotta admit that Opie knows how to make a good flick.

Rollo Tomassi
01-22-2002, 07:03 AM
As far as award ceremonies go, be they Golden Globes, Oscars, whatever, I think the three most amazing movies of the year: Memento, Moulin Rouge, and LOTR are going to get shafted repeatedly in favor of these depressing smaller films that hit right at years end like In the Bedroom and Iris. It's shameful. Brilliant performances from earlier in the year get missed in favor of hammy villianous overacting like Denzel Washington's atrocious perfomance in Training Day. You would think Guy Pearce never made Memento! It won't get any love at the Oscars simply because it came out in February. If it and Moulin Rouge had come out Christmas Day, then there would be four movies getting all the awards this season. People would be like Mulholland what? Gosford who?

And what was up with Akiva Goldsman winning best screenplay over Memento's Chris Nolan? Akiva Goldsman??! The man responsible for Batman & Robin, Practical Magic, Lost in Space and other atrociously bad scripts?? He won? Even if he won for a Beautiful Mind, he should still be disqualified for being the biggest hack in Hollywood today. Gaaah! Awards shows tick me off.

SithDroid
01-22-2002, 11:27 AM
I agree with you Rollo. Memento deserved to be up for best picture and Guy Pierce deserved to be up for best actor. And I agree that Memento should have won for best screenplay over A Beautiful Mind. If you look at it from a straight storytelling point of view, then Memento wins hands down. The story is way more complex than A Beautiful Mind. It's movies like A Beautiful Mind that shut out great movies like LOTR. I don't think that a Sci-Fi movie has even won for best picture at the Golden Globes or the Oscars. It's a shame. Moulin Rouge, Memento, and LOTR should all be up for best picture at the Oscars, but seeing as the Academy has no originallity, they will probably just copy the Golden Globes like they do every year. And as always some stupid dramatic movie will win, that's how it always is. Ever see a comedy win, very rarely. I've about given up on Hollywood.

derek
01-22-2002, 04:03 PM
ever since "shakespear in love" beat out "saving private ryan" at the oscars a few years back, i completely lost any interest in any award show. it seems like they have two a week now days.:o

anyway, it's just the opinions of a few people. i too think memento was the best film of 2001, but if it dosen't win any awards, it won't make it any less of a film to me.

2-1B
01-23-2002, 01:31 AM
I really liked Hayden Christensen in Life as a House (and hopefully AOTC), but someone really should have handed him a comb before the awards started. :p :p :p

Mandalorian Candidat
01-24-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
And what was up with Akiva Goldsman winning best screenplay over Memento's Chris Nolan? Akiva Goldsman??! The man responsible for Batman & Robin, Practical Magic, Lost in Space and other atrociously bad scripts?? He won? Even if he won for a Beautiful Mind, he should still be disqualified for being the biggest hack in Hollywood today. Gaaah! Awards shows tick me off.

Batman and Robin?!! That was the worst piece of dung ever produced. That guy should have been blacklisted. In my book, winning one award doesn't erase any kind of participation he had in that horrible movie. Anyone should have won other than that guy. Even the scriptwriter for Shallow Hal...