PDA

View Full Version : Chick flicks that are made for a woman but strong enough for a man

El Chuxter
01-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Sort of the yang to the JBF's "Top 100 Man Movies" yin, this is a list of those "chick flicks" -- typically romantic comedies and dramas -- that are good enough movies for guys to enjoy watching with the ladies, or even without the ladies.

You don't have to defend a choice, but if you want to, feel free.

I'm starting with:

Love Actually (darthvyn hates this movie, but that's because he's a dork :p)

When Harry Met Sally

The Cutting Edge

The Princess Bride (okay, maybe not really a chick flick, per se, but it's romantic and funny and definitely belongs on one of these lists)

Chasing Liberty

I know I'll come up with more, but that's the start.

Ji'dai
01-27-2006, 12:12 PM
I enjoyed Cold Mountain. I think that one is considered a mushy love story.

El Chuxter
01-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Crap in a hat! It's only been a couple of minutes, but I realized I forgot two great ones:

The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Dangerous Liaisons

Slicker
01-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Can't Hardly Wait
She's All That
What Dreams May Come
The Notebook

James Boba Fettfield
01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Can I add Mask? That's the Rocky Dennis film.

Maybe it's the Bruce Springsteen soundtrack the director's cut features or well...no, I really liked it when I saw it with the Seger music, but that is one I think might belong here.

Driving Miss Daisy
On Golden Pond (with Henry Fonda)

I guess I don't see enough romantic comedies.

UKWildcat
01-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Two words:

Dirty Dancing

Deoxyribonucleic
01-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Million Dollar Baby

Rocketboy
01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Garden State

scruffziller
01-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Can't believe noone posted:

TITANIC

Rocketboy
01-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Can't believe noone posted:

TITANICAnd for good reason. :D

I forgot Life As A House

El Chuxter
01-27-2006, 02:56 PM
I think Chasing Amy and Jersey Girl could both qualify as Chick Flicks, too.

Jersey Girl is the best movie Kevin Smith ever did. Period. If you disagree, you're wrong. I'm not arguing the point further.

scruffziller
01-27-2006, 03:59 PM
And for good reason. :D

I must be in the wrong thread....:ermm:

Kidhuman
01-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Love Actually kicks ***

Chasing Amy and Jersey Girl count

Princess Bride, girlie...meh on that one

Edward Scissorhands I would say.

Lord Malakite
01-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Kate & Leopold
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

UKWildcat
01-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Jerry Maguire

darthvyn
01-28-2006, 10:55 AM
love actually... should be called "no plot, actually"

the princess bride. romance, comedy, action, andre the giant - it's got everything! this is the movie that sets the bar for this thread.

on the filpside, braveheart is a guy movie that chicks dig - i've had a lot of luck with that movie, if you know what i mean...

Ji'dai
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
I prefer foreign romantic comedies over domestic ones. More gratuitous nudity :thumbsup:

From Spanish director Pedro Almodovar, whose hit films were also popular in the US in the late 80s, early 90s. These films introduced Antonio Banderas to worldwide audiences and probably launched his Hollywood career:

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown - lots of tangled relationships become exposed during the course of a woman's struggle to discover why her lethario beau left her. Antonio Banderas has a small role.

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! - Antonio Banderas plays a recently released mental patient who kidnaps a B-movie queen. He keeps her tied up in a vacationing neighbor's apartment in the hopes that she will eventually fall in love with him, which of course, she does. Caused some controversey among women's groups due to the kidnap-bondage theme of the romance.

---

The Italian film Mediterraneo is also enjoyable. A group of Italian soldiers invade and occupy a Greek isle during WWII. The only resistance they encounter are senior citizens, children, and naturally, a bunch of beautiful women whose husbands and boyfriends are off fighting the Germans on the Greek mainland. Many of the Italian soldiers don't want to leave when their country is knocked out of the war...

---

The French flick Amelie, starring Audrey Tautou, is a fun film to watch as well. Ever see those annoying "roaming gnome" commercials that are popular now? The joke originated in this film.

El Chuxter
02-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Funny, I'd consider Amelie to be more of an art film than a romantic comedy, though I can see your reasoning. I can definitely vouch for both that and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.

El Chuxter
07-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Just doing a Caesar impression here. :)

I just saw Ever After for about the dozenth time, and realized it wasn't on this list. Great film. It's one I can show my niece every time she visits, and I never get sick of it. You have princesses, castles, romance, gypsies, Leonardo Da Vinci saying "horses***" to someone, and Drew Barrymore in a low-cut dress. Something for everyone.

Blue2th
07-16-2006, 09:09 PM
I shot Andy Warhol, for Psycho Feminist chicks.

2-1B
07-16-2006, 09:24 PM
What Chux said about Ever After. I love that movie and I love Drew Barrymore*. Dougray Scott is good but thank god he didn't get the Wolverine role in X-Men.

My Life - there's another one for the list, I'll fight anyone who disagrees. That is, after we shed a few tears together. :D

Moulin Rouge - I love it.

What Slick said about The Notebook.

*I love Drew Barrymore in her more "wholesome" roles like Ever After, Never Been Kissed, etc. and oh yeah, THE WEDDING SINGER, one of my all time favorite movies. I don't like the Skanky Drew that copulates with Tom Green and that stroker from the Stroking Band or whoever that **** that Fabrizio guy is. lol

Anyway, this is the chick flick thread and not the Drew Barrymore thread so I'll back off now...

General_Grievous
07-16-2006, 09:38 PM
I think Chasing Amy and Jersey Girl could both qualify as Chick Flicks, too.

Jersey Girl is the best movie Kevin Smith ever did. Period. If you disagree, you're wrong. I'm not arguing the point further.
Ah, but I must disagree. Sure, I liked "Jersey Girl" and I feel it is underrated, but "Clerks" is Smith's best film. Dante. Randall. Jay. Silent Bob. Nuff said. As for chick flicks, "Pride and Prejudice" was bearable, if only for Keira Knightley. ;)

UKWildcat
07-16-2006, 09:51 PM
*I love Drew Barrymore in her more "wholesome" roles like Ever After, Never Been Kissed, etc. and oh yeah, THE WEDDING SINGER, one of my all time favorite movies

Since you and Chux brought up Drew Barrymore :lipsrsealed: I'll add 50 First Dates to the list. Maybe not a "chick" flick per se but worth mentioning.

It's one I can show my niece every time she visits, and I never get sick of it.

Same here, but with Freaky Friday. The recent one with Lohan of course.

Banthaholic
07-17-2006, 01:19 AM
I agree with some of the ones posted here
The Notebook
Jersey Girl
Ever After

and an old favorite of mine to show the ladies in my single days that ususally produced good results...
The Lion King

CaptainSolo1138
07-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Same here, but with Freaky Friday. The recent one with Lohan of course.Aren't you worried about contracting herpes through the TV? I'd be.

JON9000
07-17-2006, 12:57 PM
"About a Boy" with Hugh Grant was very enjoyable. I recommend it for any occasion that involves movie watching with a female, be it girlfriend or even mom.

"Sixteen Candles" is probably the funniest chick flick ever, I love it.

"Cider House Rules" has Charlize Theron sans her knickers when she was about 25 years old, 'nuff said.

"The Color Purple" is traumatic but good

"Dr. Zhivago"

"Finding Nemo"

"Much Ado about Nothing" Kate Beckinsale flipping rules!

I hate hate hate with a passion "Ever After". Drew Barrymore with a british accent- ugh.

El Chuxter
07-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Finding Nemo? Chick flick? Have to disagree with that one.

UKWildcat
07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Aren't you worried about contracting herpes through the TV? I'd be.
lol

"Finding Nemo"Finding Nemo? Chick flick? Have to disagree with that one.

I wouldn't classify Nemo as a chick flick either. :confused:

JON9000
07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
fine, sweet Jesus, take Finding Nemo off the list (although I saw it with some girls and they were delighted by it). but give the others a shot if you need something to keep a girl on ice.

El Chuxter
07-18-2006, 11:09 AM
I wasn't trying to start no argument. I've seen a lot of different definitions for exactly what a "chick flick" is, but they always involve romance of some sort. Finding Nemo is one of the very few successful films to feature no romance at all.

UKWildcat
07-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I wasn't trying to start no argument.

Me neither... I was just agreeing is all. lol :thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
1. Platoon

2. Godfather II

3. UHF

....all great 'chick flicks'....

basschick
07-25-2006, 05:57 AM
hey, i'm a chick and i love UHF above almost all other movies :D

lessee, chick flicks i like... hmm...

Dirty Dancing
3 Weddings and a Funeral
Benny and Joon (hey, love and insanity - how can you go wrong?)
Sixteen Candles (although this seems more like an 80s flick to me)
if Sixteen Candles counts, what about Pretty in Pink?

1. Platoon

2. Godfather II

3. UHF

....all great 'chick flicks'....

Kidhuman
07-25-2006, 05:58 AM
I will agree with Benny and Joon.

UKWildcat
07-25-2006, 10:54 PM
I will agree with Benny and Joon.

Wow... I completely forgot about this movie. Young Johnny Deep and Mary Stuart Masterson. Wasn't that the move with the 10,000 Maniacs song? 5,000 miles or whatever?

Speaking of Mary Stuart Masterson... add Some Kind of Wonderful to the list. Great movie. Duncan (Elias Koteas) was freakin' awesome in that movie!

Kidhuman
07-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Yes, that movie had that song, as much as I hate that song, it was in there.

2-1B
07-27-2006, 01:43 AM
UHF is on ComCen right now...it's pretty crusty.

Elias Koteas is great, I specifically liked him in Fallen and The Sopranos. :)

El Chuxter
07-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Elias Koteas is great, I specifically liked him in Fallen and The Sopranos. :)

Don't forget his crowning achievement, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Though my wife watches that crapfest House, and he was on there recently, and the guy's lookin' old as dirt. He can't be more than 40-something.

2-1B
07-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Word! Plus Casey Jones was in TMNT3 so he bookended that trilogy nicely. :)

UKWildcat
07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Though my wife watches that crapfest House, and he was on there recently, and the guy's lookin' old as dirt. He can't be more than 40-something.

House is actually a really good show. One of the better shows on tv IMO. :D

I just checked IMDB and Koteas is 45. You're right though, he is aging quickly.

El Chuxter
07-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Someone has some ridiculous disease. No one can figure it out. Enter House to save the day, but not without shocking a bunch of folks and p***ing off a few more. Meh. It's even more formulaic than CSI.

UKWildcat
07-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I don't watch any of the CSI type shows or any of the ER drama type shows either, which is probably one of the reasons I enjoy House so much. But to each his own.

Ji'dai
07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Not sure if this one has been mentioned... I always liked Romancing the Stone with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner. Avoid the sequel at all costs though.

Wouldya look at those snappers? :eek:

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I just mentioned As Good As It Gets in another thread.

While I don't fully agree with the assessment, I've seen many describe it as a chick flick.

Personally, I think it's just one of the best-written movies ever.

"How do you create such believable female characters?" ;)

TeeEye7
04-25-2007, 09:33 AM
How far back can you go on titles?

How about:

"Casa Blanca" :love:

AND (drum roll)......."Love Story":love: :love: :love:

UKWildcat
04-25-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm surprised we never came up with Ghost.

El Chuxter
04-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Casablanca has Nazis and guns. It's not a chick flick.

TeeEye7
04-26-2007, 08:15 AM

Per Internet Movie Database, "Casa Blanca" was voted the #1 romance movie!

(www.imdb.com/Sections/Genres/Romance)

Seems women really DO like a man in uniform! ;)

Qui-Long Gone
05-14-2007, 10:46 AM

Are you kidding, chicks love Nazis with guns....it's a power thing....

UKWildcat
05-14-2007, 11:08 AM
13 Going on 30

Qui-Long Gone
05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
13 Going on 30

If all 13 year olds turned out like Gardner the world would be a happy, happy place....

seanmcfripp
05-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Sommersby! :love:

scruffziller
08-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Might I add:

Sweeny Todd

Blue2th
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Immortal Beloved A strong performance with Gary Oldman playing Beethoven. Very tragic.

scruffziller
08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Immortal Beloved A strong performance with Gary Oldman playing Beethoven. Very tragic.
I think I saw that a long time ago, it was really good.

General_Grievous
08-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Might I add:

Sweeny Todd
If you think Sweeney Todd's a chick flick, then I doubt you've seen the movie.

Kidhuman
08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Might I add:

Sweeny Todd

If you think Sweeney Todd's a chick flick, then I doubt you've seen the movie.

I was going to say the same thing. Even though its a musical, its far from a chick flick

Blue2th
08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
The Brave One with Jody Foster. (or did someone already mention it?)
It rocks because it's a girl with a gun, and she's angry, and she gets justice.

Rocketboy
08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
The Brave One with Jody Foster. (or did someone already mention it?)
It rocks because it's a girl with a gun, and she's angry, and she gets justice.Just because it stars a woman doesn't make it a chick flick.

Blue2th
08-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Just because it stars a woman doesn't make it a chick flick.

I suppose. That would be like calling Aliens a chick flick.

Sceeratch that.

Ando
08-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Okay, then I would like to add my 2 cents and say that 'Braveheart' is the most romantic movie ever made.

William Wallace picks a fight with England over his murdered wife.

Rocketboy
08-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Okay, then I would like to add my 2 cents and say that 'Braveheart' is the most romantic movie ever made.

William Wallace picks a fight with England over his murdered wife.Based on that theory, I guess The Punisher is pretty damn romantic.
:love:

General_Grievous
08-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Based on that theory, I guess The Punisher is pretty damn romantic.
:love:

Yeah, especially the part where he jammed the knife through the guy's mouth. It stacked up with "The Notebook".

scruffziller
08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Even though its a musical, its far from a chick flick

I agree mostly. But tell that to the guys at work that make fun of me for liking it. They act like I am talking about "The Sound of Music." Oh hey, there's one.
Julie Andrews sure was hot.

Rocketboy
08-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, especially the part where he jammed the knife through the guy's mouth. It stacked up with "The Notebook".Well, I'd rather have a knife through the mouth rather than watch The Notebook.

Ando
08-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I cried like a French soccer player at the end of The Notebook.

Devo
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm giving Titanic only its second vote from what I can see. I still think its pretty good, despite the celine dion associations. The ship looked amazing and really makes you sad that its currently dissolving in complete darkness at the bottom of the ocean. And I didn't mind the whole love story distraction either, I thought >>cough<<still do>>cough<< it was quite effective.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-27-2008, 08:30 PM
The French flick Amelie, starring Audrey Tautou, is a fun film to watch as well. Ever see those annoying "roaming gnome" commercials that are popular now? The joke originated in this film.I liked that one. She's cute.

Not sure if this one has been mentioned... I always liked Romancing the Stone with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner. Avoid the sequel at all costs though.Never saw the sequel, but that movie was good from what I remember. Kind of a lightweight Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I'm surprised we never came up with Ghost.That was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread.

scruffziller
08-28-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm giving Titanic only its second vote from what I can see. I still think its pretty good, despite the celine dion associations. The ship looked amazing and really makes you sad that its currently dissolving in complete darkness at the bottom of the ocean. And I didn't mind the whole love story distraction either, I thought >>cough<<still do>>cough<< it was quite effective.

Thnx for the bump.:yes:

Qui-Long Gone
09-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I don't know if the little indie film Once has made it to this list, but it should. Great date movie and not too bad a musical.....in the most non-musical way possible.

This is a movie that will:
1. give you great new songs for your iPod
2. get you laid :love:

it's a win-win!