PDA

View Full Version : FedEx and other lies

dr_evazan22
01-28-2006, 12:27 PM
For those that don't know, I work at UPS. It's not always the best company, andf I'm sure some of our people make mistakes.

I've had a couple problems with my last 2 FedEx deliveries. The first was last summer. I was expecting a delivery on Sat from SWShop.com. It didn't come. When I called 1-800-GO-FEDEX to inquire about the package I was told the driver made an attempt to deliver it at 10:30PM on a Sat night. No note was left on my door saying that they attempted, which is SOP for FedEx and UPS. Now, FedEx in the past has left $400 lightsabers from MR sitting in my apartment buildings hallway for me to come home and find. So, it's my belief they did not attempt to deliver it, that they lied.

Second, a week and a half ago I ordered a Salacious Crumb bust from GG. Here is an email I wrote to GG:

Last week I ordered WEB8275 Salacious Crumb Mini Bust and I am writing to you now to request a refund of the shipping fees paid to FedEx in the amount of $10.31 (my tracking number and order info can be found below).

My order was due to arrive on Tues 1/24. I tracked the package at 11p and FedEx said it was still out for delivery. When I got up at 4a to go to work I tracked the package again. This time FedEx said it was delivered. When I called 1-800-GO FEDEX I was told the package was delivered at midnight. Yes, you read that correctly. Midnight.

Since I didnít have the package I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor contacted the driver. The story that was related to me was that the driver was going to deliver the package on his way home using his personal vehicle. The driver never dropped the package off, but is expected to actually deliver it on Wed 1/25 between 12 and 2p.

I requested a refund from FedEx, who informed me that I would have to get the refund from Gentle Giant (who could get the refund from FedEx). I realize that GG is not responsible for FedExís actions, but because GG decided to use FedEx their performance reflects on GG. In my opinion FedEx failed to keep commitments that were made to both GG and to me.

Thank you for your time. I hope in the future Gentle Giant uses a more reliable service.

At 5p I still didn't have the bust, so I called FedEx's corp HQ to complain and received the bust 15 minutes later.

The driver may have gotten fired. I don't know. I kind of hope not. If the appropriate corrective action is taken with him then he will never do this again. I know that there are days at UPS when some drivers really get screwed with a heavy load, and they have to stay out until its done. I'm guessing that FedEx is the same way.

Last night I got notification from SWShop.com that another order has shipped, by, you guessed it, FedEx! I'm thinking of calling the local center and speaking to the manager in charge of this area to ensure there are no other irregularities.

The other lies... today the post office left a note saying I had a package, yet I didn't hear them knock or ring my bell. Even though I'm sitting about 5 feet from the door.

I need to calm down:mad: .

Deoxyribonucleic
01-28-2006, 01:28 PM
YOU need to kick some BLEEP is what you need to do!

I got a lightsaber from MM shipped by Fed Ex and the box was all mangled. I got lucky though cuz the lightsaber was just fine, but for these high end star wars items, I do keep the boxes and like them to be in great shape!

Hope Salacious comes with no problems

JediTricks
01-28-2006, 02:13 PM
You know what's weird? I've *never* had a problem with FedEx, have used them extensively over the last 10 years too, maybe it's because I live in LA or something, but the people I ship stuff to never have troubles. I haven't shipped or received much in the past year or so, perhaps after getting that fat USPS contract they went soft on quality. UPS on the other hand, I've had a lot of little problems with, especially UPS Ground (though folks I know tell me FedEx Ground is very bad too), upwards of 30% small problem rate I'd guess. I generally try to avoid UPS whenever possible. Of course, since I try to avoid the USPS - with darn good reason (http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/usps/) - for anything important, my choices are can be limited. Get this, in my apartment building, the USPS will not attempt to deliver any packages on the 3rd floor, their apartment building policy is 1st or 2nd floor is no problem, but 3rd and above is out, even though the building is ONLY 3 floors tall and has an elevator.

Slicker
01-28-2006, 03:07 PM
That picture always makes me laugh JT. I haven't really had any problems with UPS or FedEx but lately I've had major problems with USPS. My new apartment complex doesn't allow packages to be left at the door, no problem with that, but as I think Dr. E said above I go and check the mail and there is a notification in my box saying that they tried to deliver a package at said time and I know for a fact that I was in the house watching TV. The front door is about 9 feet from the TV so I know for a fact that I was there.

The latest episode of that happened yesterday. I had a delivery notice in my mailbox from Thursday so I went and picked up that package at about 2 pm. I get home and check my mailbox and there is another one in there saying that they tried to deliver at 1 pm and I know for a fact that I was home in the living room. It's not that they're messing up it's just that I don't think they even try to deliver the package knowing the policy of not leaving on the doorstep. It's just easier to leave it at the office and have me do there job.

JediTricks
01-28-2006, 03:32 PM
That picture always makes me laugh JT. I haven't really had any problems with UPS or FedEx but lately I've had major problems with USPS. My new apartment complex doesn't allow packages to be left at the door, no problem with that, but as I think Dr. E said above I go and check the mail and there is a notification in my box saying that they tried to deliver a package at said time and I know for a fact that I was in the house watching TV. The front door is about 9 feet from the TV so I know for a fact that I was there.My building is a security building, the mailboxes are on the inside so the package delivery notices sometimes end up on the outside main door! Who the heck ever looks at that?!?

scruffziller
01-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I haven't had a problem with UPS per se, I just don't like the system because I have to drive 25 miles to pick up my package if I am not home or asleep when they come, I HATE IT!!!!!!!:mad: There is no place in town that I can have them leave it at, as a designated place. Kind of like the places that will accept parcels being shipped for you, but UPS won't drop them off.:( So I use USPS whenever I can because I can pick it up right in town. And usually they know my car, if I am home but out walking, they will leave it by the door. And that is fine with me. But what chaffs my hide is when I get a fill in guy from my normal mail-lady, he jamms letters in the mailbox as well as my Netflix envelopes. And the have been known to not even attept to come up to deliever a package, but automatically put their peach slip in my box.:mad: For me to pick up.:upset:

LusiferSam
01-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I've also recently had some problems with FedEx. A couple of weeks ago I ordered some modeling supples and had it send to my home. In winter I have stuff that comes other than USPS send to work because normally neither FedEx or UPS can get to my house, which is at the end of a steep 1/4 mile long drive way. Now maybe I misread or clicked the wrong option, but my box came FedEx rather than USPS (which can and does come up to the house). I found the box in the half way up the drive way sitting in the middle. Jerks.

A few years back FedEx ate up some minor competitor (whose name escapes me), and that became FedEx ground. My mom (who owns a small retail business) said this other company was terrible and was always giving her trouble. My guess is that FedEx inherited these problems and magnified them.

Kidhuman
01-28-2006, 10:14 PM
I have never had issues up until this week with any service. My gripe is with USPS leaving stuff outside my door. They dont knock on the door at all. Just drop the package and leave. I had a package from hasbros shop delivered today. I get home from work and it is sitting there on my stairs. WTF if it was raining? My wife was in the living room all day and she heard nothing. I have 2 dogs that bark if the wind blows, so no one knocked on my door.

dr_evazan22
01-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Lucifer - FedEx aquired RPS, creating FedEx Ground. All my problems have been with the ground service. I was waiting to get another pachage from FedEx, it might've been 2nd day air. Got home from work at 9a, logged on to track, and as I was tracking the truck pulled up. FedEx ground and air are 2 separate businesses, so they don't go out together. UPS air and ground go out for delivery on the same truck.

Scruff - If you won't be home there are a couple things you can do... Call UPS and give an alternate addy: work, a neighbor that is always home that's willing to take them for you; ask them to deliver on a day you know you'll be home.

JT - Every now and then we get a package coming down the belt that looks like that. The guy above me always makes some comment, "Ari, here's your porcelin(sp?) Yoda", or something.

JediTricks
01-29-2006, 05:31 PM
The info about FedEx Ground being a separate company seems like the right explanation, I nearly always ship by air which is why I rarely have problems.

JimJamBonds
01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Hey dr_evazan22 what do you do at UPS? I am also a UPSer, I'm sort of a jack of all trades working in the office/high values/international shipments/Local sort supervisor.

Jim Jam

scruffziller
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Scruff - If you won't be home there are a couple things you can do... Call UPS and give an alternate addy: work, a neighbor that is always home that's willing to take them for you; ask them to deliver on a day you know you'll be home.

The problem is that I don't have any reliable alternate addys and my neighboors are not always there. If I had controll what time they could come during the day, that would be different. Can I call UPS and arrange before the package gets to me?

LusiferSam
01-30-2006, 12:06 AM
LuSifer - FedEx aquired RPS, creating FedEx Ground. All my problems have been with the ground service. I was waiting to get another pachage from FedEx, it might've been 2nd day air. Got home from work at 9a, logged on to track, and as I was tracking the truck pulled up. FedEx ground and air are 2 separate businesses, so they don't go out together. UPS air and ground go out for delivery on the same truck.
Yup, RPS is what I was thinking of. I just could get that order of the letters to look right (dyslexia and all). Early today I asked my mom about RPS and she just rolled her eyes and said something I can't repeat here.

I forgot the FedEx ground and FedEx were separate, but it's clear if you look at their trucks. Is too bad they the business that way because I think they to real disservice to themselves and more importantly their customers. I'm sure most people think FedEx is FedEx, ground or air. But because it's not if someone gets soured by one part they'll be soured by the whole thing.

dr_evazan22
01-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Hey JimJam - So you went to the Dark Side as a sup? I've never worked the local sort, but the PT preload sup has got to be THE most THANKLESS job there ever was.
I work the preload shift, I load 4 trucks, do Sat airs, occasionally reg temp drive.

I didn't quite make it clear in my first post, but one of the other 'lies'...
I also work PT as a server (waiter) at a restaurant. My employer takes 3% of my SALES out of my EARNED TIPS for tip sharing. Having said that, we've recently discovered that, by state labor law, they can only take up to 15% of our earned tips. What this means is that in most cases they are taking too much of our EARNED TIPS! Oh yeah, the lie? That after bringing it to their attention... They're looking into it.

In case you didn't follow this, here is an example: I have $100 in sales. They want 3%, which is $3. If I was tipped 15% ($15) then the equation looks like this... 3 / 15= .20 Which means that $3 is 20% of my earned tips, and in violation of the law.

The only way they would not be in violation would be if EVERY table I had tipped me 20% or higher: 3 / 20 = .15

I was doing some research yesterday to find the corp offices for FedEx ground and my restaurant. I found a site that provides info, it looks like its for either job searchers or investors. Check it out if you want to complain.
http://www.hoovers.com/free/

JimJamBonds
01-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey JimJam - So you went to the Dark Side as a sup? I've never worked the local sort, but the PT preload sup has got to be THE most THANKLESS job there ever was.
I work the preload shift, I load 4 trucks, do Sat airs, occasionally reg temp drive.

Actually I never was a teamster, I started as a temp. revenue auditor then I was hired on. I've had a few chances to go union but I've turned it down. I agree preload sup has to be the worst gig, "hey everybody its 4 in the morning lets get excited about loading trucks!" :)

Speaking of "Dark Side" that is what we call the other UPS facility in Green Bay. Its been a bit of an inside joke in our building but a few weeks ago an OMS refered to the other building as 'the Dark Side' to the other buildings center manager. Well lucky for her the center manager took it as the joke that it is and when she left to go back to her building she said "Darth Vader is leaving now." lol

InsaneJediGirl
01-30-2006, 11:52 AM
FedEx always seems to bring managled packages here,even if it was just a flat evenlope its dented on all the sides. I havent had much problem with UPS,they just put the package in a plastic bag and tie it onto the fence.Except when its raining of course.

USPS is my biggest problem. They came one day to deliver a package and I noticed probably a minute after they arrived. Walked out to meet him and the guy already left. Give me a minute to get out of the house :crazed: Easier if he took the package and just tossed it over the fence like the UPS guy.The sad part is we only live a mile from the post office and of course they decide not to redeliver the next day.

Good Luck with your orders Dr. E :)

Deoxyribonucleic
01-30-2006, 12:08 PM
would be if EVERY table I had tipped me 20% or higher:

IF only!! :crazed:

Me server too :thumbsup:

Gooooooood money most of the time, more so thanks to turn around though.

dr_evazan22
01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Me server too :thumbsup:

Your excellent use of the English language there reminds me of a geico commercial, the one with the insurance rep at a restaurant with 2 cave men. The one cave guy orders the roast duck with mango sauce, the other says he's not hungry, that he lost his appetite because he was offended. Hilarious!

JJB - Even worse then trying to motivate us, is the denigration and insults that they are subjected to. The general feeling (at least in my building) is that they are complete idiots. They try to do the best they can, I'm sure, but if the delivery mgr gives incomplete instructions, necessitating moves later on. The few LS sup's I've met seem a little bit better. I don't know how much pressure is on you guys, but it seems a lot less then the PL.

JimJamBonds
01-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't know how much pressure is on you guys, but it seems a lot less then the PL.

I would agree with that, if the PL has a bad day the rest of the building is behind the 8 ball and the drivers are likely to have a bad day as is the local sort. You guys set the stage on how things are going to go, we just clean up the mess at night. ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-30-2006, 06:05 PM
During my college days, I worked as a shipper for my uncle's business. We shipped goods all across the country and the rule of thumb was if it's going east of the Mississippi, use FedEx while those going out west had to be exclusively UPS. I don't remember the reasons (speed being one of them?) but we had to follow that rule implemented by the company.

Either carrier, FedEx or UPS, would come to our loading dock and take the boxes and basically punt them into their truck. My favorite part was when the truck was full, they would find creative ways to make room. They were only careful with boxes marked "Fragile." Everything else was fair game for being squashed.

dr_evazan22
01-31-2006, 02:28 PM
The problem is that I don't have any reliable alternate addys and my neighboors are not always there. If I had controll what time they could come during the day, that would be different. Can I call UPS and arrange before the package gets to me?

See PM

Either carrier, FedEx or UPS, would come to our loading dock and take the boxes and basically punt them into their truck. My favorite part was when the truck was full, they would find creative ways to make room. They were only careful with boxes marked "Fragile." Everything else was fair game for being squashed.

I don't want to touch that one with a ten foot pole (or my steel toed boot!).

Slicker
02-01-2006, 08:23 AM
This is strange. Here's a thread from another forum I'm on dealing with FedEx having crappy service.

Link (http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58032&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

There is some swearing so if you deem it necessary delete the link terror squad moderators.

dr_evazan22
02-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Well, my order from SWShop.com arrived yesterday without a problem. They rang my bell and left the package.

Val Da Car
02-06-2006, 08:44 PM
USPS - I just moved into the neighborhood that my wife's parents have lived in for 30+ years. The mailman knows that we are in-laws. Good service, Ding Dong Ditch is the average but the one time I was looking forward to a package (Jedi Council scenes) I walked out to greet him and he says "Go Deep"...nice job from Mr Montana.

Fed Ex (Home) - Is how my SWS packages come. They work Tues through Sat. Decent delivery and sofar all items arrived entact. But the crazy U turns on my street and backing into my driveway is a little bothersome.

UPS - Ding Dong Ditch and always between 12pm and 2pm but he never pulls into the driveway....so far so good.

Darth Instigator
02-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I was home waiting for a nextel phone to be delivered, had my door open and able to hear the bell if rung. I thought I heard a truck drive away the familiar sound of a UPS or FEDEX truck, so I go look and its a fedex truck driving away but no box nor ticket, so I run to the car and I am in hot pursuit except I dont know where he turned in my neighborhood, so I go down each block finally finding him and he says no one was home I said did you check the house numbers? the house you went to it number 205 and mine is clearly marked 203. Its messed up cause I knew I wouldn't be home the next day and already invested time in that day. THey are liars.

JimJamBonds
02-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Although I probably shouldn't say this since I'm a UPSer but FedEx had one of the best commercials during the Super Bowl imho. :yes:

Kidhuman
02-07-2006, 01:48 PM
That they did...

JimJamBonds
02-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Hey dr_evazan22 I don't know about you but the handfull of times that I've been at my center in the morning when the drivers leave I've always thought of Vaders line from ESB "Deploy the fleet!" :D Ever get that feeling?

Turbowars
02-07-2006, 11:49 PM
UPS and FedEx aren't very good at what they do. I had a 20" truck wheel lost and was delivered to another address that didn't have any relationship to my address and FedEx dented another one of my wheels and didn't do anything about it. So far UPS and FedEx = ZERO and the US Post = 100%

I wonder is DHL is any good?

Oh and FedEx delivered a item from SWShop.com at 11:45 PM and they dropped it over my gate onto the lawn and the sprinklers went on. I was lucky the water didn't get all the way through.

Ji'dai
02-08-2006, 11:58 AM
I've never had any problem with UPS, FedEx, or the USPS. Nothing lost or damaged yet. I did have UPS leave my first PC I bought outside on the back porch. It was a Gateway so it came in several large, inconspicous cow-print boxes. Fortunately my folks lived in a rural area so theft wasn't an issue. My brother was there to take it the house but they could have just as easily put it on the enclosed patio.

DHL is damn fast. I bought a LEGO set from an Italian seller; he shipped it on a Friday and I had it Monday afternoon. Italy to Indiana over the weekend.

I hope you guys don't have packages on this UPS plane that burst into flame after an emergency landing in Philly:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/08/ups.plane.fire/index.html

dr_evazan22
02-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey dr_evazan22 I don't know about you but the handfull of times that I've been at my center in the morning when the drivers leave I've always thought of Vaders line from ESB "Deploy the fleet!" :D Ever get that feeling?

My thought's on this have been a combination of the scene from ESB where Leia is giving the pep talk to the pilots, and the scene that says "get the crews to their fighters".

Yeah, I was able to get a couple of extra hours out of that plane fire. Some of those were destined for my area. There were some good sized holes in the fuesalage after it was extinguished.

JimJamBonds
02-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Even here in Wisconsin we had a few packages that were lost on that flight, and a couple that made it and got to my center at around 1:30 p.m. although I haven't heard much about it since it happened.