PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fighting Championship!

bigbarada
01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Just seeing if there are any other fans of this sport here.

This is not the fake stuff that you see on WWE or TNA, this is the real thing.

I've been following the career of Welterweight (170 lb) Champion Matt Hughes for about three years now and that has paid off recently as I've been put in charge of and recently redesigned his entire website. Click on the link in my sig line if you're interested in seeing the site.

Well, in any case, Matt is set to fight UFC legend Royce Gracie in May, which should be a great fight (although I don't think Gracie has much of a chance, the sport has evolved way beyond his outdated skills).

Of course, this weekend is the third meeting of Light Heavyweights Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture. I really want to see Liddell win and keep the championship title, this way he can work on shutting up Tito Ortiz next.

Well, I'm just testing the waters here in hopes of finding a closet-UFC fan on these boards.

:bandit:

DarthBrandon
01-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Yeah, been a real fan of the sport since it all began way back in the day & I'm looking forward to the upcoming fights. I'm a big fan of Matt Hughes:thumbsup: , if you could get me an auto it would be super (To Pete & my son Brandon), just kidding of course.:D Not sure on who I'm going for this weekend (Liddell or Couture) I like them both, if Randy wins it's good for him (payback), if Liddell wins then it's bad for Tito, if things go down that road which it would be nice to see.:D BTW nice website, looks well done.

bigbarada
01-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Tito has been talking so much trash, I would love to see either Liddell or Couture take him down a couple of pegs.

So what was your initial reaction to the announcement about Hughes fighting Graci? I think the UFC overhyped the announcement. Sure it's a big deal, but it's not really going to "change the UFC forever."

I'm thinking that Matt is going to KO Gracie within the first round. His standup has really improved and he's fully capable of winning a fight without it ever going to the ground. A lot of people don't realize just how well rounded Matt really is, they see him as just a wrestler. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Then of course, he gets to get ready for his rematch with either Georges St. Pierre or BJ Penn. As talented as St. Pierre is and as much as I would like to see him have another title shot, I really want to see Matt avenge that loss against BJ.

But I don't see BJ getting past St. Pierre.

DarthBrandon
01-30-2006, 05:22 AM
Tito has been talking so much trash, I would love to see either Liddell or Couture take him down a couple of pegs.

So what was your initial reaction to the announcement about Hughes fighting Graci? I think the UFC overhyped the announcement. Sure it's a big deal, but it's not really going to "change the UFC forever."

I'm thinking that Matt is going to KO Gracie within the first round. His standup has really improved and he's fully capable of winning a fight without it ever going to the ground. A lot of people don't realize just how well rounded Matt really is, they see him as just a wrestler. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Then of course, he gets to get ready for his rematch with either Georges St. Pierre or BJ Penn. As talented as St. Pierre is and as much as I would like to see him have another title shot, I really want to see Matt avenge that loss against BJ.

But I don't see BJ getting past St. Pierre.

It would be nice to see either one of them lay Tito out cold, so I'm not picky on who does the deed, either way I'd be happy. (I hate trash talkers)

Gracie & Matt should be a good match as long as Matt doesn't make a mistake, if he does Gracie will make him pay. I'm going for Matt myself, good stand-up, good on the ground & pound etc. (True Champ) As for Penn or St Pierre, I'd rather see Penn just for redemption as well. Hopefully it will be a good year for Matt & the rest of us fans.:D

CaptainSolo1138
01-30-2006, 06:41 AM
Holy crap! A Big B sighting! ;) :beard:

I wouldn't say I follow UFC, but I enjoy watching it on Spike TV (usually on Friday nites after Mrs. CaptainSolo has gone to bed). I think it gets a bum rap from people for being some ultraviolent bloodfest, which it's not.

BountyHunterScum
02-01-2006, 05:23 AM
I saw some of it on Spike and my god they can't fight worth a damn. Thier first mistake is getting all buddy buddy with the competition, nobody wanted to beat the hell out of rashad it seemed. I would have, I would have messed him up real bad. No free rides, get in there and break every bone in their body if necessary to win. Dislocate arms and legs, break the neck. When he's showboat dancing nail him square in the face knock his sorry *** out right there, bend the kneecaps the wrong way.

kool-aid killer
02-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I know they are pro fighters and all, but it looks so much like two average joes going at it when i watch on the tube. Guys throwing haymakers and missing, slipping, wrestling on the ground. I could go to a bar and watch that kind of stuff. UFC makes me sleep.

bigbarada
02-09-2006, 02:28 PM
I know they are pro fighters and all, but it looks so much like two average joes going at it when i watch on the tube. Guys throwing haymakers and missing, slipping, wrestling on the ground. I could go to a bar and watch that kind of stuff. UFC makes me sleep.

If you are used to watching the choreographed and rehearsed fighting that you see in movies or the fake acrobatics that are displayed in "professional wrestling;" then I can understand how you would think that real fighting would be a little slow and clumsy.

However, if you watch the fights and try to understand the strategy and techniques (and not just watch it to see somebody get hurt), then you will really begin to appreciate the skill and athleticism involved. These are truly some of the most skilled and well-rounded athletes competing today.

DarthBrandon
02-09-2006, 10:37 PM
I watched the UFC last weekend (Couture & Liddell III) & made a bet with a friend that Liddell would take it in the first or early second & then Randy would retire. I won on both accounts, which made me happy & my wallet a little heavier, good fight but way too short. I was suprised that Mir got his butt whooped, didn't see that one coming, hopefully he just needs time to adjust after his accident. Can't wait for UFC III on spike, it should be interesting with Tito & Sham coaching, like I said, can't wait.

jaxx
02-10-2006, 11:16 AM
My girlfriend and I are huge fans. We watch it every chance we get on Spike TV.

kool-aid killer
02-10-2006, 02:15 PM
If you are used to watching the choreographed and rehearsed fighting that you see in movies or the fake acrobatics that are displayed in "professional wrestling;" then I can understand how you would think that real fighting would be a little slow and clumsy.

However, if you watch the fights and try to understand the strategy and techniques (and not just watch it to see somebody get hurt), then you will really begin to appreciate the skill and athleticism involved. These are truly some of the most skilled and well-rounded athletes competing today.

Oh, i realize that movie fights and wrestling are all choreographed, i just dont think UFC is exciting compared to a boxing match. Could it be that the reason its not so exciting to me is the fighting disciplines of the people cancel each other out to an extent, making it look like a regular fight to the untrained eye?

bigbarada
02-11-2006, 02:15 PM
I have to admit, there were a lot of lackluster fights on the second season of the TV show; but it seems that those mostly came from the heavyweights. IIRC, all of the welterweight fights were pretty good.

You have to expect the 265 pound class to be a little slow and cumbersome though (with the exception of Andrei Arlovski - that guy's a machine!). It probably wasn't the best choice of weight class for the TV show.

So, if that's all you've seen of the UFC so far, kool-aid killer, then I can understand how you would think that the fighting is a little boring.

I would say to check out UFC 52, that event had some great fights on it: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Chuck Liddell vs. Randy Couture 2, and my personal favorite Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg 2 (one of the greatest fights in the history of the UFC).

Brandon, I pretty much picked Liddell to win also. Randy Couture is a classy guy and a great champion, but Chuck is too dangerous right now and I think Randy's age finally started to catch up with him (the guy is 42!).

bigbarada
02-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Just wanted to show these off. Matt sent me these around Christmas time last year. These are the gloves he wore in his second fight with Frank Trigg. He signed them, dated them and everthing!:cool:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/gloves52.jpg

bigbarada
07-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Well, Matt made short work of Royce Gracie. I talked to him the day after the fight and he said that he felt it wasn't even a challenge once it got to the ground (which was where everyone expected Gracie to shine).

A lot of people played up Gracie's age and we got several emails after the fight claiming that Matt was just a thug who was beating up on a man who "could have been his father."

There was only a 7 year age difference between Royce (39) and Matt (32) and Gracie was still younger than Randy Couture when Couture retired at 43. So the Gracie fans are just making excuses for their legend.

Anyways, it looks like Georges St. Pierre is next on the list. So Matt will get a chance to destroy his championship dreams once again. :D Matt beat him once before, at UFC 50, so I believe that will give Matt the mental advantage.

Also, I hope Matt will get to avenge his loss against BJ Penn before the end of the year (he needs to get two more fights in before December 31st to fulfill his contract).

bigbarada
08-25-2006, 02:11 AM
It looks like St. Pierre is out of the fight with Matt now because of a groin injury. Sooooo, BJ Penn is the replacement. I sent Matt a text message when I heard the news, asking if he was excited about getting a chance to avenge his loss against Penn, and he just responded with "I like it.":thumbsup:

Looking forward to this one. Matt already admits that he took BJ lightly the first time they fought, so you can be sure that won't happen again.

2-1B
08-25-2006, 03:58 AM
Oddly enough, I'll be watching it this weekend with JimJam at our future roommate's place...UFC isn't my thing, I never got into it but I'll give it a chance this weekend, bigB. :)

Good luck to your friend Hughes. :)

bigbarada
08-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Well, hopefully, watching Chuck Liddell KO Babalu will make you a fan.:thumbsup:

bigbarada
08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Funny thing, Matt's 7-year-old son has recently developed a very sudden and intense interest in Star Wars.

It's kind of interesting seeing the perspective of a kid who didn't discover Star Wars until after all six movies were on DVD. He has no idea of what order the movies were actually released in and just takes them in "chronological" 1-6 order.

ROTJ is his favorite of the films.

Matt's a good dad, even though he doesn't really understand the interest, he still accepts it and got his son a whole bunch of the cardboard cutouts for his room and whatever other Star Wars stuff that he wants.:)

JimJamBonds
08-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Oddly enough, I'll be watching it this weekend with JimJam at our future roommate's place...

I thought it was flatmates????

DarthBrandon
11-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Funny thing, Matt's 7-year-old son has recently developed a very sudden and intense interest in Star Wars.

It's kind of interesting seeing the perspective of a kid who didn't discover Star Wars until after all six movies were on DVD. He has no idea of what order the movies were actually released in and just takes them in "chronological" 1-6 order.

ROTJ is his favorite of the films.

Matt's a good dad, even though he doesn't really understand the interest, he still accepts it and got his son a whole bunch of the cardboard cutouts for his room and whatever other Star Wars stuff that he wants.:)

Excellent, maybe he'll even get Matt into it.:D

On another note I'd just like to say it was really sad to see Matt loose to JSP last night but I was also happy that JSP won the belt if that make sense. (Being Canadian & all) It was a good loss IMHO to a better fighter that night.

Hopefully Matt & Rich Franklin can both come back from their losses & find their way back on top. (Might be a while though). I say JSP should retain the title for a some time & hopefully if any luck would have it, Matt & JSP will fight for the third time. (I will have a hard time deciding who to root for, won't care much as I like both these fighters):thumbsup:

UFC 66 should be interesting with Liddell & Ortiz, I'm going for Ortiz when I know I shouldn't go against the Iceman, but hey; I like the underdogs sometimes.:D

P.S. If your talking to Hughes, tell him to keep his chin up & I hope to see him back soon for a title shot. (ground & pound next time) Also tell him I want that Army shirt of his.lol

bigbarada
12-10-2006, 02:31 AM
Excellent, maybe he'll even get Matt into it.:D

On another note I'd just like to say it was really sad to see Matt loose to JSP last night but I was also happy that JSP won the belt if that make sense. (Being Canadian & all) It was a good loss IMHO to a better fighter that night.

Hopefully Matt & Rich Franklin can both come back from their losses & find their way back on top. (Might be a while though). I say JSP should retain the title for a some time & hopefully if any luck would have it, Matt & JSP will fight for the third time. (I will have a hard time deciding who to root for, won't care much as I like both these fighters):thumbsup:

UFC 66 should be interesting with Liddell & Ortiz, I'm going for Ortiz when I know I shouldn't go against the Iceman, but hey; I like the underdogs sometimes.:D

P.S. If your talking to Hughes, tell him to keep his chin up & I hope to see him back soon for a title shot. (ground & pound next time) Also tell him I want that Army shirt of his.lol

Matt's not letting the loss get to him at all. He just went in there without a clear game plan and got beat by a guy who wanted it more. No biggie.

After the fight, we went back to the hotel and stayed up until about 4 AM drinking beers and playing gin rummy. Not to mention eating, Matt was finally off his diet so he wanted to take full advantage of the room service. :)

Just FYI, he'll be on 60 Minutes tomorrow evening, so you might want to check that out (Sunday, December 10th). I sat in on the interview at the farm because i wanted to see the entire interview and not just the edited version. Matt's so open about his faith that I'm worried that they will try to make him look bad considering that he is a Christian who beats people up for a living.

As for that shirt, we sell replicas in our store (click on the Official Gear link on the website or any of the banner ads) and you can have them autographed for an extra charge (the money goes to benefit Matt's charity, the Rancho3M Orphanage in Mexico). The autographs are personalized to prevent people reselling them on ebay. We actually have two versions now, you'll see Matt's twin brother modelling the other one in the store; but Matt is going to start wearing the new version from now on.

I'm not going to post a link, because I'm pretty sure that is breaking the rules here.

Not trying to turn this into a religious topic, but just so you know, it's actually a Christian shirt not an Army shirt. Look closely and it reads "Army of THE One," and has a Bible verse on the front and a Bible passage on the back. If you do decide to buy one, I just want to be sure that you know what you're getting.

DarthBrandon
12-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Not trying to turn this into a religious topic, but just so you know, it's actually a Christian shirt not an Army shirt. Look closely and it reads "Army of THE One," and has a Bible verse on the front and a Bible passage on the back. If you do decide to buy one, I just want to be sure that you know what you're getting.

Yeah, I knew the first time I saw it, & I have to have one, no worries here, love GOD etc.:thumbsup:

P.S. if you could grab me a size Medium after X-mas & I'll pay you for it. (he can make it out to Peter from SSG) It would be much appreciated, I've done many deals around here so you don't have to worry about anything. I'd rather you get it from the man himself than online if you know what I mean.

TC & Peace

bigbarada
12-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I knew the first time I saw it, & I have to have one, no worries here, love GOD etc.:thumbsup:

P.S. if you could grab me a size Medium after X-mas & I'll pay you for it. (he can make it out to Peter from SSG) It would be much appreciated, I've done many deals around here so you don't have to worry about anything. I'd rather you get it from the man himself than online if you know what I mean.

TC & Peace

You got it, buddy! :thumbsup:

Just PM me your information. We're sold out of medium (and larges and x-larges) at the moment, but should be restocked by the end of the week. Even after all this time, it's still our best-selling shirt. I'll be sure to set one medium aside when they come in and I'll get Matt to sign it just as soon as possible.

bigbarada
03-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Well it's going to be another big Saturday. Randy Couture is coming out of retirement to face current Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia. Randy, along with many fans, feel that Tim has been playing it safe the last couple of fights. Trying to defend his title by simply keeping his opponent out of reach, which has made for some lackluster fights (although I believe that his last fight was underrated).

Randy is hoping to do a better job of taking the fight to Tim than Jeff Monson and Andrei Arlovski did. We'll see what happens.

Also, Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin begin their climb back up to regain their titles.

Matt fights Chris Lytle, in what many believe will be a cake-walk for Matt. However, Lytle is a very accomplished pro-boxer, so Matt has to get the fight on the ground and do it quickly. Matt plans to go back to his strengths and get the fight to the ground and just pound Lytle out or submit him

Rich Franklin fights Jason McDonald. While I like Franklin, I'm kind of hoping to not see him regain the Middleweight belt. Becuase I know that Matt will never move up in weight and go for the Middleweight Title while Franklin is the Champion. They're friends so they are not going to fight each other. But anyways, "Go Rich!"

This is one of the most loaded fight cards that the UFC has ever had, so it will be an exciting night!

bigbarada
03-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Oh yeah.....

WAR MATT!!!!

WAR TIM!!!!

:thumbsup: