PDA

View Full Version : Are You Going to The Midnight Madness Sale???

GNT
08-16-2001, 02:20 AM
You would be pretty mad not to go!

I am and I'm going to have a really good time! I'll try and get as much as I can,like most people!

Thoughts :) ?

Darth Cruel
08-16-2001, 02:35 AM
This is all going to depend on whether there are figures that I want really badly or not. I won't compete with a bunch of rude people for cheese figures.

GNT
08-16-2001, 02:47 AM
True but with real Scan they should be really good with really good detail,just can't wait!

Rollo Tomassi
08-16-2001, 03:34 AM
Has there been an announcement that it will take place?
I think places like TRU would be foolish to not open at midnight.
If so, I'm there!

TheJedi
08-16-2001, 05:26 AM
I will most definately be going. Even though I know all those figures will be clearenced out 6 months down the line. The whole experience is what makes me have no regrets about doing it last time, so I will do it again next time. Only I wont go to TRU. The line was out to the street. We had people coming from over 50 miles away as if my city had the only TRU in southern California. My friend and I weren't waiting in that line. So I told him we would hit the 24 hour Walmart about 5 minutes away. Only about 20 people and there were more than enough figs to go around. And the route we took home took us straight by about 7 CHP's trying to talk some idiot out of jumping off of a freeway overpass.(This overpass was only about 15-20 feet from the ground.) If I'd only had my Van Halen CD. lol

hairless chewie
08-16-2001, 05:29 AM
I'm stationed in Germany and I would take leave to come back to the states just to go to MM! I loved the first one!

the master jedi
08-16-2001, 03:11 PM
I can't wait until the next midnight madness sale assuming they will have one for episode 2.

The first one was great and I hope the next one will be just as good.

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 04:50 PM
I was the first in line at my TRU here in Pittsburgh and we had a group of about 250-300 people. I was able to get nearly everyone to agrre that there would be no pushing or fighting over figs and besides the MGR (who is now a friend of mine) said at the time that there was enough for everyone.

The experience was great.

I got there at 6pm and we ended up playing trivia and naughty lines form the Classic trilogy (YOU know the line sthat have a double meaning ie Princess Leia to Han when she first sees the Millenium Falcon "You came in that thing, your braver than I thought"

Sorry just couldn't help myself

Apologies if anyone was offended!

12inch Lando
08-16-2001, 07:09 PM
I'll probablly do what I did the last time which is to show up at TRU at around 1:30am. It was cool and nobody was there. I got all the figures and tons of donuts and coffee with no fighting. Pretty cool.

evenflow
08-16-2001, 07:54 PM
I was there for Episode I and I will be there again. :)

jedibear
08-17-2001, 12:19 AM
Absolutley! That night was a blast! I'll even admit I had more fun that night than on the movie's actual opening day!
The energy with people was much more fun-oriented...without the expectations the movie had.

I still keep in touch with some of the folks I met that night...keeping each other informed as to what's where....

I just hope that if the retailers DO the MM again, they don't go crazy over-ordering in subsequent weeks and ending up with another glut.....

GNT
08-17-2001, 03:50 AM
To check out the old version of this thread at the old SSG just click here (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=18&PID=1387)

Rollo Tomasi
08-18-2001, 05:10 AM
Concrete evidence of GNT's post padding! Gah!

Starfig873
08-18-2001, 09:26 AM
Of course! I had such great fun with the first one! I can't honestly wait to go out again. :)
Being able to see the Episode I figures locked behind plastic wrap and Wal-Mart employees scurrying to get things set up. It was so cool.

Plus it adds to my memories of Star Wars related events in my lifetime.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 06:28 PM
Midnight Madness was so much fun I'd definitely do it again. People at the TRU I went to were relatively cordial, and except for the first ten minutes there was very little pushing and shoving.

Of course, the fact that there was an armed policeman there probably kept everyone in line. At first, I thought that TRU had called for one in anticipation of a riot, but he was grabbing figures and filling up his cart just as fervently as everyone else.:D

the master jedi
08-18-2001, 09:43 PM
He probably showed up armed so he could get in easier and get the stuff he wanted.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 09:48 PM
Either that or he was on his way to provide back-up for a hostage situation, and decided to make a quick little detour.:D

Obi-Don
08-19-2001, 07:02 AM
Yes I will go! The last one here was a KB Toys and not too many people where there.Our Wal-Mart wouldn't even let you buy any untill 7AM.I guess the Manager wanted first pick:mad:

JEDIpartner
08-20-2001, 12:59 PM
No way! I've got plenty of work to keep me busy. I'll probably go the following day to see what's left. I did pretty well the day after the midnight sale... so I'll just leave it at that!

JediCole
08-23-2001, 03:43 PM
I will be at Midnight Madness when it happens (I don't say if because I have previously contended that Toys R Us would be absolute idiots not to repeat the success of this event). I went to the E1 Midnight Madness, leaving a party to attend and had a great time, though there were no Darth Mauls to be had. But not to worry, the Target next door was well stocked (over 50 Mauls alone) later that morning when they opened their doors. Target had shrewdly perched a huge display close to the entrance, but had missed the boat. The real E1 sales happened hours earlier next door. In the first HOUR at that ONE store, the regiserer tape was over $12,000 dollars!
In the end I spent way too much on future peg warmers and will be a little more reserved in my spending this outing, but I cannot wait for the new Midnight Madness. It was an incredible sight and I would not have missed it for the world. I will probably buy afew key figures there and go to the Target later to purchase them at my leisure. Despite the toy glut from Episode I, retailers will still stock well for the initial Episode II release, just not with the reckless abandon they displayed with Episode I.

GNT
08-24-2001, 03:37 AM
I think I'll go,why not? Talk about a complete rush,swearing and talking to fellow scalpers collectors and be part of the action,I'll be there!

master jedi
08-24-2001, 11:01 PM
Here's a new question: "What scalper collector and/or Star Wars fan won't be there?

Lobito
09-04-2001, 08:15 PM
That surely has to be THE experience!! I read all of the MM in Toyfare and thought it was very cool the fact that every fan could get what they wanted that night.

If they ever make a MM here i would definitely go, but for now i'll have to hear your stories.

JediCole
09-05-2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Lobito
That surely has to be THE experience!! I read all of the MM in Toyfare and thought it was very cool the fact that every fan could get what they wanted that night.

If they ever make a MM here i would definitely go, but for now i'll have to hear your stories.

I woulnd't go so far as to say every fan got everything they wanted (there were no Darth Mauls of any size available after the first three minutes), but we walked out with at least one of all but three characters' figures on the card that morning. Of course Target was hip deep in everything (excecept the 12" Maul which took me a year to obtain, just in time for many stores to suddenly get them in stock at a markdown). But the bottom line is that it was too much fun to pass up.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-06-2001, 04:52 PM
I didn't go last time and I won't go this time if they do it again. From what my friends told me it was a waste of time. They went to the Cerritos, CA TRU where they waited in line for hours, then once they got in they didn't get DM, Anakin, the BDs,or any C3 figure. Plus they paid top dollar for stuff which was cheaper everywhere else.

I went to W-M at 8 am that morning, waited 5 minutes, walked over to the aisle, was able to get two of every figure, including all four BDs, and paid about 50 cents less per figure. There were also plenty of stuff for all who were there.

That, coupled with the fact that everything eventually could be found at clearance prices months later, convinces me that it is insanity to put up with MM.

However, the more of you that go to MM the better it is for us who wait.

GNT
09-07-2001, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
Here's a new question: "What scalper collector and/or Star Wars fan won't be there?

Many scalpers collectors will be there no matter what :)

Tatooine_Rebel
09-20-2001, 05:56 PM
Do any Canadians know when the Midnight madness sale will be in Canada? Like, what day? Thanks :)

Lobito
09-20-2001, 06:07 PM
Depends if there are TRU in Canada, i stayed in Montreal for some time and i dont remember seeing TRU there, but maybe in Toronto or Vancouver??

Tatooine_Rebel
09-20-2001, 07:33 PM
Yes there are TRU's in Canada......

Lobito
09-20-2001, 08:02 PM
Then there's a good chance that you will have MM in there.:D

Sith Apprentice
09-27-2001, 04:38 PM
I'm actually pretty sure that we wont have MM over here in good ol' England this time around. I went to TRU for the Ep 1 MM and there was a pretty good turnout with the press there etc. However, no Mauls and very few decent toys and everyone was quickly disillusioned (not that I'm suggesting that the good people at TRU purposely didn't put any Maul stuff out for Scalping purposes!) In fact the best thing there was the Star Wars Store card getting you point and offers on SW stuff - seen it? Got myself three of them and they didn't cost squat!

However, my reasoning for doubting MM in the UK is that stores got badly stung by buying HUGE volumes of Ep1 stuff that they couldn't shift. This is why we have the VERY frustrating situation of not having any stores sellin POTJ at all. TRU have absolutely NO Star Wars stuff on the pegs at all, except for a couple of stale EP1 products like Yo-Yos. This means that all new POTJ stuff has to be brought from scalpers. Ooops, I mean dealers. Same thing. I just think that no-one over here will take chances with Ep2 and there will be nowhere near as much stuff out on the pegs, or as much store promotion.

GNT
10-25-2001, 02:52 AM
Whos going to get Obi?

sith_killer_99
10-25-2001, 07:38 AM
I'm not sure if I will be there or not. It all depends on how much I spend at STAR WARS CELEBRATION II.

OR, if C2 comes AFTER the EP2 toy release.

I have to pick up some of the Exclusive stuff at Celebration 2!

I've never been to ANY kind of convention.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-25-2001, 11:59 AM
Well, I wasn't planning on going before and now with the release of the packaging by Hasbro I probably won't even go that day. I'm really turned off by the garbage their pushing on us so I feel like doing a one-man boycott of the line.

sith_killer_99
10-25-2001, 05:58 PM
Boycott a line of Star Wars figures?!?!?!?!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Well, I guess that would leave you time and money to work on finishing off anything your missing from the other lines.

Nevertheless, it will most likely BE a 1 MAN boycott.;)

GNT
01-18-2002, 08:58 PM
Anybody going anymore after seeing the figures we'll be getting?

CrossWizard
01-18-2002, 09:04 PM
Nope, I didnt plan to anyways, last time I just went to TRU around 7AM before going to college and got the bare essentials(Obi, Maul, Mace, Qui Gon) then I felt tempted to go back and cut 2 classes so I could get the remaining figures.

derek
01-18-2002, 09:04 PM
i'll go to wal-mart, but i'm not gonna wait in any line. i'm still holding out hope that the 12 inch figures will be cool. you know jango is gonna be in the first wave and i'll never see it at retail, just like the first darth maul 12 incher.

GNT
01-18-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by derek
i'll go to wal-mart, but i'm not gonna wait in any line. i'm still holding out hope that the 12 inch figures will be cool. you know jango is gonna be in the first wave and i'll never see it at retail, just like the first darth maul 12 incher.

you'll see him,He'll probably become a shelfwarmer at some point just like the 12" Maul did :)

Jargo
01-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Sith Apprentice
I'm actually pretty sure that we wont have MM over here in good ol' England this time around. I went to TRU for the Ep 1 MM and there was a pretty good turnout with the press there etc. However, no Mauls and very few decent toys and everyone was quickly disillusioned (not that I'm suggesting that the good people at TRU purposely didn't put any Maul stuff out for Scalping purposes!) In fact the best thing there was the Star Wars Store card getting you point and offers on SW stuff - seen it? Got myself three of them and they didn't cost squat!

However, my reasoning for doubting MM in the UK is that stores got badly stung by buying HUGE volumes of Ep1 stuff that they couldn't shift. This is why we have the VERY frustrating situation of not having any stores sellin POTJ at all. TRU have absolutely NO Star Wars stuff on the pegs at all, except for a couple of stale EP1 products like Yo-Yos. This means that all new POTJ stuff has to be brought from scalpers. Ooops, I mean dealers. Same thing. I just think that no-one over here will take chances with Ep2 and there will be nowhere near as much stuff out on the pegs, or as much store promotion.

Don't recall anything of this nature (midnight madness) happening at all oop North. can't see anyone from TRU staying up that late round here. it's all old ladies and spotty twelve year old sensitive boys who are good with their hands..... can't see any of them ever staying up past nine let alone midnight. And it's not like the TRU's in the North ever get any stock anyway. It's going to be easier to find stuff online to be honest. probably cost less too.

derek
01-18-2002, 10:33 PM
the original 12 inch maul went fast here in the states. i never saw one in a retail store, only in a "scalper" shop. the speeder maul was plenty-ful though.

jango will be a fast seller also. hopefully the initial wave won't have a stinker like jar jar.

GNT
01-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by derek
the original 12 inch maul went fast here in the states. i never saw one in a retail store, only in a "scalper" shop. the speeder maul was plenty-ful though.

jango will be a fast seller also. hopefully the initial wave won't have a stinker like jar jar.

He was a major Shelfwarmer here even on the first day and he STILL is a major Shelfwarmer nearly 3 years after the film came out :( So I guess I'll have no trouble what so ever getting any of the AOTC products :)

jedi-cpa
01-19-2002, 08:31 AM
But the last time I dropped over $400 this time, I'll go for the experience but I am not going to pay full price for figs that will be $2 eight months later.

Control control, I must learn control.

PloKoon2385
01-19-2002, 02:54 PM
I am going! I don't care how crazy I may seem, but if they do it, then I'll be there. April 22 is the day before my Birthday and I am going to be there! HA! Happy Birthday to me!

Wooooof
01-19-2002, 04:54 PM
I tempted to go just to hear the collective gasp of disgust as people flood the stores with checkbooks and Visa's in hand only to see shelf upon shelf of hideous abominations before them. Then I'll quietly grap my Slave 1 and move on to the register.:)

SithDroid
01-19-2002, 06:45 PM
I probably won't be going. I don't like the huge crowds and people pushing and fighting to get the stuff they need. I'll do what I did last year. Sleep in and go to K-Mart when I wake up. I did the same thing last year and I was the only person in there. I was the first person to take a look at their stuff, so I took my time, plus I got one of everything I needed. TRU is a waste of time here, they never get anything anymore and I don't plan on it this time either. Perhaps I'll check Target, they always had a great selection.

InsaneJediGirl
01-19-2002, 07:18 PM
I probably wont be going either.I'll just wake up early..go over
to the local Wal-Mart and see whats there. It isnt like the figures would be gone anyways,not many people area are SW fans..or
at least I havent seen them.