PDA

View Full Version : $1000 to fix a light on my dashboard so my SUV is legal?

Tycho
02-01-2006, 01:06 AM
I failed my California smog test today - not because my Cherokee is a gross-polluter, but because everything has to be perfect I guess. An engine operating indicator light is not working on my dash board and tomorrow I'll be taking taxi cabs or renting a car for the day while service removes my entire dashboard to get to the one little light. The actual pollution caused by my truck was well below CA emission standards, but this is some stupid excuse to inconvenience me. Anyway, like usual I waited until the last minute to renew my registration. The good 'ol forum seems the perfect place to vent.

Anyway, if I need to drive to see ya, you'll probably not see me - until Thursday. (groan)

JimJamBonds
02-01-2006, 10:22 AM
The actual pollution caused by my truck was well below CA emission standards, but this is some stupid excuse to inconvenience me.

And a good way to lighten you in the wallet 1K.

Captain Spoon
02-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Damn the Man Tycho, .... Damn the Man!

El Chuxter
02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I will make it legal.

C'mon, no one else thought that? lol

Kidhuman
02-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Nope, not really chux.

JediTricks
02-02-2006, 06:52 PM
That's one advantage of having older cars, these silly regulations don't apply. $1000 sounds about $950 excessive though, is it possible the light is representing a real engine problem? I would suggest looking into this before plunking down that much coin, it's real easy to get ripped off, so at least look it up on the internet but more likely ask other mechanics.

Sith Lord 0498
02-02-2006, 06:56 PM
That's one advantage of having older cars, these silly regulations don't apply. $1000 sounds about $950 excessive though, is it possible the light is representing a real engine problem? I would suggest looking into this before plunking down that much coin, it's real easy to get ripped off, so at least look it up on the internet but more likely ask other mechanics.

It's been my experience that you should ask mechanics who run their own small garages rather than mechanics at Wal-Mart, Pep Boys, etc. The larger chains (at least in my area) have a greater tendency to tell you about all the "necessary" expensive repairs you need whereas the "mom and pop" mechanics will give you a more accurate appraisal. After all, most of their business comes from word-of-mouth, so they have every reason to do right by you.

Tycho
02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Update: It was less than $150! Shhheewwwww!

I went to the Jeep dealer and they handled it very professionally and even called my Smog Test place to confer with them.

I'm factory specs and quite satisfied.

JediTricks
02-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Tycho, is there anything you won't overreact to? ;)

Val Da Car
02-06-2006, 08:48 PM
I agree with Tycho.

ORANGE Honda Element 2004 + 35 yr old parking structure at work + salt/calcium chloride in winter = Frickin LIME on the hood of my Clearcoat paint job.

c'mon.....3 Stories tall for Parking in Downtown Milwaukee (Summerfest).

Tear it down and build something 7 stories and whammo!!!! It's paid for and they can figure the water issue out.

Frickin' Morons!

darthvyn
02-10-2006, 10:11 AM
I failed my California smog test today - not because my Cherokee is a gross-polluter, but because everything has to be perfect I guess. An engine operating indicator light is not working on my dash board and tomorrow I'll be taking taxi cabs or renting a car for the day while service removes my entire dashboard to get to the one little light.

this is like, the opposite story to what happened to my mother-in-law (who i affectionately refer to as "mom2")

mercury sable (meh... but it gets her around) has a continuing problem with the check engine light coming on. as it is under warranty, she keeps bringing it to the dealership, they do something, it goes off, and a couple hundred miles later it comes on again... until they finally bring it in and they actually figure out what's causing it to come on, and it never does again!

or so the germans would have us believe...

they move to upstate NY, and need to get it inspected to register it in the new town. according to the computer it won't pass inspection. they check EVERYTHING they can think of, and it still won't pass. the guy goes "it can't be this... but i'll check it out anyway." takes apart the dashboard, and lo-and-behold, the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NO LONGER HOOKED UP TO THE DASH CLUSTER!!!!!!!

the guys at her dealership actually unplugged her check engine light because she kept coming in with a problem that could've been very serious! my in-laws have been in touch with ford corp. over it, but i haven't heard anything recently about any reparations or anything...

scary...

Tycho
02-10-2006, 11:35 AM
That is some story. I too think we should hold mechanics to higher standards because they enjoy public trust. Think of it if your CPA cheated on your taxes and you got in trouble for it?

JEDIpartner
02-14-2006, 10:23 AM
SUVs suck. The end.

2-1B
02-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Since when is a Cherokee a truck? :confused:

Tycho
02-14-2006, 02:37 PM
It's a truck whereas the manufacturer installed seats, carpeting, and a roof over the heads of the passengers who would ordinarily be sitting in the flat-bed. That makes it a False-Truck. :D

JediTricks
02-14-2006, 08:42 PM
The modern Jeep Cherokee body is not derived from a truck, taking out the back seats, rear walls, and ceiling would make it no more a truck than doing the same on a Dodge Caravan or a Volvo 240 DL wagon; the Cherokee is a unibody, basically a large car.