PDA

View Full Version : Legacy: The timeline increases by a whole century

El Chuxter
02-01-2006, 03:08 PM
I saw something on another site that pointed me to this very intriguing tidbit at darkhorse.com (http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8732&sid=2ec230d7dc4ef49be9a030e15049bb9e):

There have been lots of wild theories bandied about regarding the "secret" project that John Ostrander and Jan Duursema (and Dan Parsons and Brad Anderson) have been cooking up. Rumors have ranged from a new series set in the immediate aftermath of Revenge of the Sith to the miniseries focusing on Quermian society and just what those long-necked aliens are doing with that shorter second set of arms under their robes all the time. (Okay, I admit I started that second rumor. Just now.)

Well, it's time for all of the rumors to end and for all of the wild, unsupported speculation to begin, Below is a peek at what's coming your direction this summer. You'll be reading about it shortly in Diamond Previews, and by tomorrow on many of the fan and retailer websites. But, for once, we wanted to be the first to announce one of our own projects (it seems fair, right?). So, without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, I give you Star Wars Legacy....

Legacy #0 (25, shipping in May) will serve as a primer of sorts for the characters and settings in the Legacy ongoing series (which begins the following month). Rather than an actual comics story, #0 will be your handbook for a wider, wilder new galaxy.

Note that in all likelihood, the actual interior pages of #0 will be typeset in a more traditional book-style typeface.

There. That's about as much as I'm willing to tell you at this point.

Holy crap! There's some really interesting dirt there, including a pic of a scantilly-clad Twi'lek Sith Lady and some info on Cade Skywalker, the great(?)-grandson of Luke.

If done right, this could be really, really good. (If done wrong, it could suck hard, but I've got confidence in them for now.)

Rocketboy
02-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Interesting. May have to give it a look.

wedge1968
02-02-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm surprised that nobody is talking about this. Myself, I don't know how I feel about it. I think I'll pick up the first few issues, but I have mixed feelings. We'll see how it turns out.

mastermatt24
02-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Im surprised too..
Anyways, I was shocked when I first saw the pics. One hundred years ahead?? Thats crazy!! Im surprised they didnt think of a new fraction besides jedi/sith. It will be interesting to see what happens this line- Im looking forward to it. :yes:
(does ben's grandson look like that guy from waterworld to anyone? :crazed: )

Rocketboy
02-03-2006, 12:56 AM
I wonder if a certain droid duo are still active and might make an appearance?

mastermatt24
02-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Maybe they are gonna have "kids" too..
wait...
that would be kinda creepy :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Weird . . . I think it's stupid for the Sith to make another return. It kind of makes ROTJ seem like it was all for nothing.

Yet another reason why EU sucks. :D

InsaneJediGirl
02-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Should be interesting if done right :) I'm looking forward to reading it,so long as everything is done in good fashion. There are only so many times Luke can save the galaxy from bugs,aliens,hideous fashion sense ;)

El Chuxter
02-03-2006, 09:03 PM
I know this may sound insane, but I would really like to see Jedi representatives from the Ewoks, Gungans, and Yuuzhan Vong (assuming they're back in the Force by this time).

jedibear
02-04-2006, 10:27 PM
...I don't know. As much as I love Jan Duursema's work and Ostrander's writing, the stated concept of this has me a little concerned. I agree with JabbaJohn's observation...if that Tw'lek is indeed a Sith, what was the point of the whole (movie) saga...the prophecy, Anakin's final deed of destroying the Sith?

And about that striking young lady...I don't know. She kinda looks a bit too much like a combination of "what worked before". Hmmm, they liked Secura..check. They liked Maul...check. They liked Assaj and Sing...check. Okay...mix it up and viola'! Here's your bad-girl-tw'lek-sith character!

The new Skywalker character sounds...well, let's just say I hope there's some interesting writing behind the whole "deny the family heritage" thing.

Like I said...I loved the ongoing "Republic" series when it featured the Duursema/Ostrander stories and I'm glad to see that they aren't disappearing from the SW comics scene...if anyone's earned the benefit of the doubt from this fan, it's these two...

One other thing....anyone else notice that all of the new comic series are avoiding the post-ROTS area of the timeline? "KOTOR" is way before it, "Rebellion" is post ESB and now "Legacy" is way after...hmmmm, makes you think....

Is Lucasfilm asking them to avoid this timeline to avoid conflicting with the forthcoming TV properties? I hope that's the reason (if there is one) because I really am going to miss that era being covered in the comics....

We'll see....

El Chuxter
02-04-2006, 11:32 PM
You raise an interesting point, one I haven't thought of before. In the post-ROTS world, we have:

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Last of the Jedi (currently slated for 10 books)
Purge
One 2-part storyline in Republic
the as-yet untitled Death Star novel

Aside from (possibly) the Death Star novel, everything seems to be within the first year post-ROTS. There's a lot of time there for the show to cover.

Let's just hope it doesn't suck like most sci-fi TV shows. (Yeah, I'll get lots of flak for that, but they all look so cheap!)

Rocketboy
02-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Found some more info on Legacy at newsarama (http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=58816):

MORE ON DARK HORSE'S STAR WARS: LEGACY http://www.newsarama.com/DarkHorsenew/StarWars/Legacy/legacyzeroad-.jpg (http://www.newsarama.com/DarkHorsenew/StarWars/Legacy/legacyzeroad.jpg)by Benjamin Ong Pang Kean

Anakin Skywalker. Luke Skywalker. Leia Organa-Solo (Luke's twin sister). Ben Skywalker.

For those who're familiar with George Lucas' universal blockbuster epic, Star Wars, and especially the Expanded Universe line of comics, novels and more, those names are not unknown to the legions of Star Wars fans all over the globe.

But first, a word of caution to those who're not up to speed on all things EU: The following paragraphs contain spoilers.

In the EU, Han and Leia are married and they both have three children, twins Jaina and Jacen, and Anakin Solo (who debuted in the Dark Horse comic series, Dark Empire and is now deceased).

Jacen and Tenel Ka have a daughter named Allana.

Ben, on the other hand, is Luke's son, from his marriage to Mara Jade.

This May, however, Dark Horse Comics will be introducing a new Skywalker in the 25-cent Star Wars: Legacy #0.

The Force has definitely been strong with Dark Horse these days. The recent Star Wars one-shot, Purge, by Ostrander and artist Doug Wheatley, with an out of this world cover by fan favorite illustrator Adam Hughes, was well received by fans. Some die-hard fans even considered it a direct sequel to last year's Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. The new Knights of the Old Republic (http://www.newsarama.com/DarkHorsenew/StarWars/Knights/MillerKotOR.htm) series by writer Jackson Miller, interior artist Brian Ching and cover artist Travis Charest has received the thumbs up from fans of the popular games series on which it was based on, as well as Tales of the Jedi fans. And the April-debuting Star Wars: Rebellion (http://www.newsarama.com/DarkHorsenew/StarWars/Rebellion/StarWarsRebell.htm) by writer Rob Williams and artists Brandon Badeaux and Wil Glass looks set to add new chapters in the lives of the Original Trilogy cast of characters.

So, what's the story with Star Wars: Legacy then? Legacy is set in teh Legacy Era, approximately 140 ABY (ie After teh Battle of Yavin, a major battle of the Galactic Civil War that lead to the destruction of the first Death Star in 1977's Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. " Mainly we wanted to find a place in the Star Wars universe where we weren't mired in existing continuity, and where we could get out of the shadow of mighty Del Rey," Vice President of Publishing Randy Stradley said, referring to Del Rey's upcoming series of nine Legacy of the Force novels by Troy Denning, Aaron Allston and Karen Traviss. "They're so much larger than we are that they inevitably become the moving force in continuity, and we bob along in their wake. We thought, if we could get out in front of them, whatever footprints we might make in the continuity landscape would be obscured by their larger presence when they (eventually) reach the same spot.

"But, by jumping so far out in front of them, we've created a buffer zone that protects our story from the day-to-day continuity events in theirs."

http://www.newsarama.com/DarkHorsenew/StarWars/Legacy/legacyzerocov-.jpg (http://www.newsarama.com/DarkHorsenew/StarWars/Legacy/legacyzerocov.jpg)http://www.newsarama.com/DarkHorsenew/StarWars/Legacy/legacyzeropg-.jpg (http://www.newsarama.com/DarkHorsenew/StarWars/Legacy/legacyzeropg.jpg)

For the record, Legacy will be set " 100 Years Beyond Everything You Know About Star Wars."

Stradley elaborated that while the two series are not tied together "in the sense that we don't have to wait for Del Rey to establish something before we move on, and none of their original plans for the era are contradicted by what we're establishing. They are, obviously, connected by the threads of continuity common throughout the Star Wars universe.

"To assuage fearful readers, let me assure everyone that we're working with LucasFilm and the Del Rey editors and authors to make sure we don't contradict their continuity, nor create events in our time period that will force them to change course unexpectedly," Stradley said.

After the Yuuzhan Vong invasion and the Swarm War, Legacy will be set in an all new era with an all new Sith Order and an all new empire. The menace? "Oh, the usual stuff -- power-hungry despots, bounty hunters, and the aforementioned new Sith order," Stradley added. "But there's also a great deal of in-fighting -- different arms of the same organization working toward different ends. It's a big, bustling galaxy, and our heroes will be discovering that yesterday's enemy can be today's ally... and vice versa."

As mentioned, Legacy features a new Skywalker in the form of a former jedi and a pirate who bears a Bloody Bones tattoo named Cade? While Stradley preferred not to reveal more about this new Skywalker and other characters such as Rav, the pirate who once took Cade as his apprentice, and the bikini-wearing Twi'lek with Darth Maul tattoos, we tracked down series artist Jan Duursema for more info [Note: Writer John Ostrander is currently away in Ireland]. "First, let me say I am very excited about this new series," the veteran artist said. "One of the things we talked about when developing Legacy was setting Star Wars in an era unfamiliar to the fans. We knew going in that we wanted to recapture the excitement we all had felt the first time we saw Star Wars: A New Hope. With that first film, Lucas took us to a place that was totally unfamiliar and unexpected, with characters we knew nothing about. The future was unknown, the fates of the characters were unknown and we wanted to know more--so we kept going back to find out! Setting Legacy way ahead of what has been done so far, gives us the opportunity to create characters who we know nothing about and can learn about as the series goes on. It is also set far enough ahead of Return of the Jedi that we can leave the fates of characters presented in New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force untold.

"I think, at first, I was the most skeptical," she admitted. "On the message boards, I likened creating this era to standing at the edge of that very deep chasm in Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade--you know, the one with the invisible bridge? Could Star Wars be Star Wars without the Big 3? That chasm seemed awfully wide and deep, but as Randy, John and I explored what could be done with this era, I started to have faith that the bridge between eras did exist. And I began to become intrigued with the idea of a future Skywalker and future Jedi... I think there is always a fascination with 'what comes next'--and what comes next is where we are going.

"Within the series you can look for references to names and characters from comics, novels and movies--Skywalker is not the only one with a legacy--but for the most part the characters will be new characters dealing with what they have been given in a very dark galaxy."

Also, on TheForce.net forums, Duursema posted (http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/23037764/p22) the following info about the Twi'lek: "When designing the Twi'lek I was attempting to call to mind a sci-fantasy version of a female Pict warrior--tattooed and fierce in appearance. Perhaps she is someone who uses their tribal markings as their armor--as if through some 'magic' she does not need actual armor. I think clarity about this character will come when she is seen in the series and we know more about her, but for now I just needed to clear up the issue of why she is dressed the way she is. Covering the tattoos (which I did think about, but rejected) would have removed the primitive quality I wanted to instill in her."

On the new Sith Order, "We spent long hours discussing the return of the Sith Order," she posted (http://%20http//www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=118741&highlight=#118741) on the Dark Horse boards. "We analysed the problem in great detail, and it is not conflict with George Lucas' vision of Star Wars. Even Lucas approved the basics of the story and he still thinks that the Expanded Universe isn't just an alternative universe which is different from his own. The Legacy series will not ruin the significance of the Prophecy and Anakin Skywalker's redemption. You really think that we didn't think about this and we missed it???"

Randy (http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=118774&highlight=#118774): "I've been thinking about this whole "restore balance to the Force" thing and, aside from my joke from last year about Anakin restoring the balance by killing all of the Jedi so that there were only two Sith and two Jedi, I think that I have a workable theory. Tell me what you think:

"The "balance" that Anakin restored was in breaking down the impermeable borders between the light and the dark sides of the Force. Anakin was the first to ever cross completely (and seemingly iredeemably) into the dark side and return to the light side. It was Anakin's redemption that restored the balance. It wasn't that he destroyed the Sith, but that he "broke" the inescapable power of the lure of the dark side.

"Then again, we're dealing with an fuzzy, ancient prophecy that even some of the greatest Jedi Masters weren't too clear on."

For whatever it's worth, Duursema posted (http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=118732&highlight=#118732) that " A hero is forever a hero. It is the legacy of these heroes that inspires us all."

Star Wars: Legacy #0, a handbook-style primer priced at 25 cents, is scheduled to be in stores in May, followed by issue #1 of the new ongoing series a month later.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Hmm. This has the potential of turning into Star Trek fiction; so many stories out there that the concept of continuity is worthless. Or Rocky V-esque, where some characters keep it grounded in the story, but the feel and plot don't seem to fit. I'm a bit skeptical, if you can't tell, but I'll withold my true judgment until I've read some.

El Chuxter
02-12-2006, 02:50 PM
To be honest, I've always felt the Tales of the Jedi comics were SW in name only. This wouldn't be much different.

jedibear
02-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Hmm. This has the potential of turning into Star Trek fiction; so many stories out there that the concept of continuity is worthless....

Boy, you hit a major concern of mine on the spot. Look at what's happened to ST books...heck, some of those characters would have to live several lifetimes to manage all the events they supposedly go through in those stacks of books...I gave up on that years ago.

I don't want to see that happen to SW. Part of that for me stems from the enjoyment of the "fill in the blanks" approach the comics and books have used during the prequel era. For the most part, it's been effective, informative storytelling in the SW universe.

I like and appreciate Duursema's comments in the newsrama piece...I'm looking forward to what they come up with...I understand it's going to be a delicate balance between presenting something that feels/looks/reads like SW, yet doesn't veer too far off what makes SW what it is. (Sorry, but the recent bug trilogy from DelRay, which I admit I couldn't even finish reading, went too far off for me and doesn't bode well for the "Legacy" series of books).

I wish Duursema, Ostrander & DH all the best and look forward to their efforts...sounds like they care enough to make it good...