PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Carkoon Wave

Sith Lord 0498
02-01-2006, 08:49 PM
This is the inaugural wave of the Saga Collection, and I'd have to say it has its highs and lows. I only own four of the figures, so I won't comment on the others.

First off, love the new movie-specific, name-bearing bases. They look very classy.

Han Solo (Carbonite chamber)

New carbonite block looks much more accurate and detailed than previous versions. It would've been nice if the "melting" piece was interchangeable with a "frozen" piece, but big deal. The block looks fantastic!! Good sculpt on Han's face as well as the shirt.

Princess Leia (Boushh disguise)

Excellent articulation on the figure. Great idea with allowing the thermal detonator to "peg" into the hand and belt. I would've hated having to keep one of those rubber bands on it. Please utilize that "pegging" feature in future figures!!! Great sculpt and paint deco on the helmet!

Boba Fett

Unfortunately, this is my personal dud. It would've worked much better to repack the VOTC Fett and use the flame base jetpack. It's just that the legs on mine are very stiff, and the pack can't support the flames too well.

Bib Fortuna

For such a limited motion background character, this figure is top-notch. Better sculpt and paint than its POTF2 predecessor. I particularly like the ability to sheath the dagger in his belt.

jedi master sal
02-02-2006, 12:20 PM
I think Hasbro did a pretty good job of this wave. Sure we already have these characters in plastic form, but some of these new ones a vast improvements over their predeccessors. Most notably Leia.

Barada was a clunker IMO. Didn't get the Chewie, yet...

I like the Han/Carbonite. As far as a glowing and solid version goes, if you really want a solid version and not one from a previous incarnation of this character, then you can always buy a second one and paint it solid.

I'm pleased enough with this wave. Character choices were okay except Barada.

We still need to see more from this scene. Especially those characters not yet made, cough Yarna cough, but it's a good start.

Thanks Hasbro,
-Sal

Devo
02-02-2006, 03:09 PM
I've always maintained that the POTF2 Bib Fortuna was second only to R5-D4 in the 'definitely in need of a resculpt' stakes. I'm perfectly happy with this one from TSC. Its a statue...so what. The most he ever did in the film was lean over. If I can't recreate that leaning over action in my Jabbas palace diorama I'm not going to stick with that POTF2 monstrocity just because he can. As for the face? Bib was always pulling funny faces so this is accurate far as I'm concerned.

Leia Boushh is great 2 or 3 niggles aside - another needless ball joint neck, the shortness of same, and a likeness which isn't as good as that from Leia figures past - Bespin Escape and 25th Anniversary. Everything else is as good as we could expect. She's now in proportion to the other figures which is a major plus for me and her cape is part of the bandolier, as someone pointed out in the review thread, so it doesn't fall off.

Han is less impressive. The greatest strongpoint of this figure is the carbonite block accessory - I like the glow effect - however it is marred slightly by stopping short of his legs, it looks wierd. He's better than the 2 previous Carbonite Hans in the modern line. The POTF2 basic figure had an innaccurate shirt and was too tall (though I'm still fond of that facial likeness), while the other one from the Palace diorama was a shortarse. So the new one corrects those mistakes. However theres yet another ball joint neck which, for me, ruins the head sculpt, and no articulation where there ideally should be. So this ones a bit of a missed opportunity for me.

Chewie is likewise unexceptional. That particular mould is notable for being the first basic figure of Chewbacca to be the correct height...but thats about all. There have been far better ones since (VOTC) which would have been good choices to stick a chain on. I don't like the fixed leg pose and the perma-bent arms of this one as they're not good for the scene supposedly being represented here - not disastrous - but not ideal.

Barada is a figure I liked first time round and this repaint is alright. Fine if you missed both previous opportunities to get him. But nothing many of us can get excited about.

Boba Fett - didn't need another one, not even if it was an entirely new sculpt. I really think his place should have been taken by a new character - a new skiff guard would have been nice. Maybe Doallyn, a weequay or one of the humans with a similar helmet to Lando.

Sith Lord 0498
02-02-2006, 06:51 PM
As far as a glowing and solid version goes, if you really want a solid version and not one from a previous incarnation of this character, then you can always buy a second one and paint it solid.

I'd considered that, but I think it'd be difficult to find the exact shade of gray paint. I can see it ending up sticking out like a sore thumb.

jedi master sal
02-03-2006, 03:07 AM
I'd considered that, but I think it'd be difficult to find the exact shade of gray paint. I can see it ending up sticking out like a sore thumb.

Just paint the whole thing grey. That's what I was thinking.

Sith Lord 0498
02-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Just paint the whole thing grey. That's what I was thinking.

D'oh!!!!! :cross-eye