PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Hoth Wave

Sith Lord 0498
02-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Same deal as Carkoon. I don't have them all, so I'll only comment on the ones I bought. Hopefully, others will chime in with their own reviews.

General Veers

Hands down one of the best figures in a long time...a long time. The snap on armor fits snugly and integrates seamlessly as does the helmet. You can barely notice the notches on his sides. Face sculpt is excellent. Great detailing on the armor. Much better than the POTF2 AT-AT pack-in.

Only criticism...angle cut elbows. Ball-jointed works so much better in terms of poseability.

AT-AT Driver

Again, an excellent figure. The sculpting details, paint, and articulation are big pluses for this figure. I like how much range of motion the head has considering it's attached to the chest plate.

Snowtrooper

Great paint job, bad kitbash. This figure really could've benefitted from the same articulation given to the AT-AT Driver. Adding the cannon would've been nice as well.

Bacta Beast
02-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I have have to agree with all you've said. I really, really like the At-At driver, I bought three so far. I only wish he had ball joint elbows. I really wish Hasbro would institute a policy of giving all "troops" SA.

(Pause, waiting for the first person to come in and blast me for complaining about lack articulation "all you guys do is complain, blah blah blah . . . ):rolleyes:

Good review and right on the money!

By the way Sith Lord I checked out your collection photos. Nice setup!

Sith Lord 0498
02-01-2006, 09:34 PM
I have have to agree with all you've said. I really, really like the At-At driver, I bought three so far. I only wish he had ball joint elbows. I really wish Hasbro would institute a policy of giving all "troops" SA.

(Pause, waiting for the first person to come in and blast me for complaining about lack articulation "all you guys do is complain, blah blah blah . . . ):rolleyes:

Good review and right on the money!

By the way Sith Lord I checked out your collection photos. Nice setup!

Thanks for the compliments. I try to update those albums frequently. That's a good illustration of some of that collector's OCD that Jedi Master Sal started a thread about!! ;)

Yeah, it would be nice to have SA on all troops, but some of them don't lend themselves to it. I pointed out an issue with Cody in another thread. That antenna mounting on his one shoulder would probably limit the motion of a ball jointed shoulder. The upraised piece would keep hitting the torso!! :)

Hopefully, no one does come in and blast anyone for their opinions or heckle Hasbro in an extremely rude manner. I'm hoping these threads can stay civilized, constructive, and positively (even in the criticisms). Y'know...it's the whole attracting with honey not vinegar approach. :p

Hopefully, the mods could keep an eye on things, and we can police ourselves. I'd love to moderate it myself, but I wouldn't be able to handle it after spending entire work days modifying the behaviors of mentally disturbed and developmentally challenged kids!!! :D

Slicker
02-01-2006, 10:29 PM
I've got most of this Hoth Wave (except for Vader and R2) and although I keep them carded I like the looks of them. They sculpts are all pretty dead on and cardbacks are phenominal (the AT-AT Driver and Veers come to mind immediately). I also like how we did get a new figure in with the other repacks and even repacks look good and have been updated to stay with the times (the Gonk comes to mind here). All in all I really like this wave.

Kidhuman
02-01-2006, 11:09 PM
These are all sweet, especially Gonk. Riekaan is the same lame packin fromn the deluxe. Cliff Clavin is a nice add in to the mix. The only downfall is Riekaan should have been Torryn Farr.

Blue2th
02-01-2006, 11:34 PM
This is the one Wave I had to order a case of from EE. I like every figure in the Hoth wave. Even though Rieekan is a repack, He's still only one per case, and turns out that he will be the most limited so far. I would recommend getting at least one of him, as you may find you can't get him later in any future waves.

DarkArtist
02-02-2006, 10:06 AM
I actually loved this wave. With the exception of General Riekan, which I bought when the deluxe version was released. I picked up General Veers, the power Droid, and the AT-AT Driver. I passed on Derlin because he came with a hologram that I already had and now I'm kicking myself because I can't seem to finmd him. Overall I would give the wave an A.:thumbsup:

jedi master sal
02-02-2006, 12:47 PM
This was an unexpected wave a few months ago. I VERY happy with the majority of them. Derlin is AWESOME. Articulation is great for him, but for what he does, SA isn't warranted. Besides, by giving us this figure, you've opened up the door to have John Ratzenberger come to SW conventions for those of us who would like to have a signed figure.
The power droid is a nice update and thanks GREATLY for the added treadmill droid.
R2 was standard, however the accessories boosted this up to a must have for me.
The snowtrooper was okay. Better artculation would have been nice and making him a grunt instead of the officer would have been better, imo, but still a good enough fig.
I'm impressed by the AT-AT driver. The articulation is most excellent. ONly little nit-pick is the face plate of the helmet seems a little misformed, maybe to low or scrunched in. Still its an excellent fig.
I initially passed on Reikaan because I got him as the deluxe fig before. But I caved and got him for the packaging. Darn you Hasbro for doign such a GREAT job on the packaging. I'm a graphic designer by trade, so I couldn't pass it up for too long...

The only fig I didn't get from this wave is Vader. I understand wanting to have him on shelves, but we've been a bit inundated with him as of late. A little break from Vader would be nice.

Overall this was a GREAT wave. Someone else mentioned Toryn Farr. Please consider this character when deciding upon revisiting Hoth for more figures to produce.

Thank Hasbro and keep up the great work!
-Sal

Deoxyribonucleic
02-02-2006, 01:41 PM
The only downfall is Riekaan should have been Torryn Farr.

True enough!! She is in the background of his card though lol

I love these new saga figures, all of em. The only two I passed on were Chewbacca and Barada from the first wave as those were complete rehashes. I know Riekiaan is as well, but he looks cool carded I must admit.

The At-At driver, Veers and Derlin ROCK. I love that they have working holsters. I dunno, that's always a high point for me...working holsters!

The snow trooper is ok, I wish they would make an entirely new sculpt but I do like it nonetheless.

Vader, R2 and Gonk, although rehashes, are really cool. I didn't open my 500th vader so this gives me a chance to play with the figure and R2 is a great with all his lil' accessories. Gonk is cool with his paint job plus his little head accessories and a repainted treadwell. I've already bought 3 of these to play around with.

I'm real happy with hasbro, actually I've never had much of a problem with any of the figs and to me with newer and newer technology, the figures just keep getting better and better and look more and more like their real life counterparts!

This wave I give an A as a whole.

Devo
02-02-2006, 02:40 PM
A good selection of figures. Rieekan may be a repack but he's a repack of a lesser character who is nevertheless important for an echo base diorama. And its great if you passed on the Saga deluxe release or if you never found it. I was thrilled to get Rieekan at last back in 04. Its a pity they opted for a fixed pose with his legs spaced apart as they are and only basic articulation but the likeness is good as is the accuracy of the outfit.

The other repacks (Vader/R2-D2) and the kitbash (snowtrooper) were well enough presented on their cards that I had to buy them and I like to think that I'm not a completist. I personally like the 500th Vader sculpt and the R2 has been given a nice paintjob and those cool accessories I missed out on when I passed on the Dagobah X-wing. I also quite like his sensorscope feature. The new snowtrooper will keep me ticking over till they hopefully do an SA version.

On to the brand new figures and/or sculpts and/or characters. General Veers, Major Derlin, AT-AT driver and Power droid. When these were announced to be in the wave I was happy. When they were pictured lose I was happier still. When they were pictured carded I was happier again. Now that I have them I am crying out for more. Only Veers from the above has some flaws IMO. These being the presence of a ball joint neck, the lack of hair detail, the fact that the hair is the wrong colour and the lack of back plating on his armour. The swivel elbows don't bother me in this case nor does the inability to have his arms by his sides cause me to lose sleep. But I do think the hair colour issue should have been obvious, I've no idea how they made that mistake. The other figures are perfect and well chosen.

ESB is my favourite film, and echo base is my favourite set/location in the entirety of Star Wars so more figures, both new characters and certain resculpts will always be welcomed by me.