PDA

View Full Version : My first MR saber

Kidhuman
02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I just ordered the .45 Darth Vader saber from WM.com. I am so excited about getting one of these. It should arrive next week. Giggity, Giggity, Giggity.

Fwad
02-02-2006, 02:38 PM
You've taken your 1st step into a more expensive world.

jcoffman99
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I just got my .45 vader in the mail today. It's my first as well. I put it on my desk at school and the kids thought it was cool. (I have a vader candy dish, bobble head pen, and regular bobblehead on my desk.) I use the fear of the darkside to keep them in line. :)

Captain Spoon
02-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Ahhh Yes, Nothing is finer than putting the fear of god into small children :razz:

Kidhuman
02-02-2006, 04:53 PM
More of a sith lord than God. :beard:

Jayspawn
02-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Congratulations kidhuman! It starts with the scaled minis for some people....:twisted:

Kidhuman
02-02-2006, 05:39 PM
I know. I just hope I can keep it up.

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Well I just got my MR saber and wouldnt you know, they sent the wrong damn one. I ordered DV EP3 and I got DV A new hope. Not that it matters, I think it is fantastic. I love the little display case it comes in and all. I did call wm.com and tell them they sent the wrong one and the refunded my shipping and gave 10% off the total, a little compensation for their screw up.

nash
02-08-2006, 09:21 PM
sorry to hear about that , dont let it discourage you though.

The minis are all fantastic, but just know youve got alot of work to do hehehhe.

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Oh, I saw how many are out, I am not going ot get them all, just a few here and there. Its a nice addition to a collection, no doubt. I will not let it discourage me from getting more, but might think twice about using WM.com. There are lots of online stores that sell them, so the dont monopolize that corner of the market.

Sith Lord 0498
02-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Well I just got my MR saber and wouldnt you know, they sent the wrong damn one. I ordered DV EP3 and I got DV A new hope. Not that it matters, I think it is fantastic. I love the little display case it comes in and all. I did call wm.com and tell them they sent the wrong one and the refunded my shipping and gave 10% off the total, a little compensation for their screw up.

Wal-Mart.com did the same thing to me (actually my wife).

She wanted to order the Darth Vader ROTS mini for me for Christmas, and they sent her Darth MAUL!!! She called them, supposedly straightened it out, and waited for the saber to arrive. It did, but this time it was the Episode IV saber...still NOT what she ordered. You can imagine how PO'd and upset she was.

Fortunately, she decided to forgo the surprise and asked me if I wanted one of those two instead, and I ended up keeping the Episode IV version because of how good it looked.

Long story short...Wal-Mart doesn't know what the $%#@ they're doing with these sabers. :)

Kidhuman
02-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Damn goode thing I told them I was going to keep it and get compensation for their screw up.

Jayspawn
02-09-2006, 10:48 AM
You dont wanna mess with a P'Od wife.

nash
02-10-2006, 09:31 PM
any retail store or outlet who isnt into specifically selling collectibles will see a darth vader saber as a "darth vader" saber, no matter how many times you tell them which movie version you wanted. LoL it's sad but true.

Sith Lord 0498
02-10-2006, 09:42 PM
any retail store or outlet who isnt into specifically selling collectibles will see a darth vader saber as a "darth vader" saber, no matter how many times you tell them which movie version you wanted. LoL it's sad but true.

What makes it unexcuseable is that Walmart.com has two separate entries: one cleared labeled for ROTS and one labeled for ANH. Last time I checked though, they had the images backward. Still, that should result in factory mixups because they both have different item numbers and barcodes on the boxes. Even if Joe Schmo doesn't know the difference, it wouldn't be a problem if they had better inventory management skills.

JediTricks
03-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, thanks to some financial assistance, I was able to add 4 more .45 scaled minis to my collection (which only started in the last 2 weeks, I got Maul's damaged and Luke's ROTJ off ebay), these all came from Master Replicas themselves, here's my review...

Master Replicas .45 Scaled Replicas:
- Darth Tyranus' Lightsaber - MR has done a very nice job with this piece, the saber seems like it's a touch smaller scale than the others, likely so it will fit in the box (which it BARELY does), but it could have just been a thinner saber, Ep 2 was notorious for that. The shape seems dead-on including having the tine at the top actually intersect with where the blade would be. The chrome is perfect and deep, the black elements are textured rubber, another nice touch, and everything feels solid, even the mini-covertec belt button, and the translucent red switch at the bottom. The box is done in the same style as the others, except that the subtle gold elements like the borders and SW logo on the others are done ROTS-style orangey-red here.

- Mace Windu's AOTC Lightsaber - I have no idea if this one is different from his ROTS saber, but it definitely is from his TPM saber hilt. This is Mace's chrome silver & gold saber, and MR has done it justice. The black elements are rubber with a techy texture cut into it, except for the grip ribs which are a roughed plastic; the silver is all deep rich chrome again, and the gold is also deep and rich without looking garish (well, it looks appropriately garish ;)) although on mine the emitter has a small subtle flaw in the gold chrome but it's barely noticeable. The black fuzz of the display box has gotten all over this saber, into its activation buttons' nooks, it's just static so it does wipe off but you gotta get something real small to get in there. Mace's saber has lots going on in sculpted detail, and because the grip ribs are so big, the covertec belt button sticks out a little which I assume the real one would have to. This is another very nice piece.

- Luke Skywalker's ANH Lightsaber - holy crap this sucker is awesome! They got it all, EVERYTHING, the 7-bubble calculator display activation plate, the receiver for the flashbulbs, the little bulb on the underside, the lever on the activation box (glued so you can't move it), even the clamps for the flashbulbs and the red button which really work (the clamp springs a little and the button can be pushed in and springs back). They utterly nailed it on this one, if you weren't holding it in your hand you wouldn't know it was a mini-saber.

- Obi-Wan's ANH Lightsaber - this is the one I knew I had to get, and it does not dissapoint at all. Everything on it is gorgeous, they went to town with the weathered paintjob, even the weathering seems to be in-scale. There's faux rust in several places, a few well-placed dents and scratches and toolmarks, and all the parts really look dead-on accurate. The real prop was a sink drain, a replica of a WWI hand grenade, a faucet knob, and some other bits and pieces, and MR has recreated them all here just perfectly, there's so much to love about how they did this that I can't even start. The collar just below the emitter has the fins on the inside, the real one the fins were angled like a turbine, here they are straight but you'd have to be a real nitpicker to consider this a problem since it's a detail nobody could ever see on-screen.

Maxu3x
03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Nice reviews yet again jeditricks. Did Mace show his saber in TPM? I don't think he did. This one is the ROTS saber as well. Where is the button to turn this saber on?

The Luke saber seems interesting with the pushable red button and clamp springs? Does anyone know if anakins ROTS button can be pushed or anything else that can be moved with that one?

I saw the Obi wan saber and the fins are straight for the LE as well. Are you reffering to the actual movie prop having the angled turrbine fins? Is this saber turned on by the switches on the side?

The Tyranus/Dooku saber is great. I noticed that in the films the curved part of the hilt is mettalic and not like the grayish AOTC saber previously available too.

JediTricks
03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks. :)

Mace's TPM saber appears on his belt at the end of the movie, he never uses it though. In the original theatrical editions, the one on his belt was yet a 3rd saber, but they CGI'ed it into the one that they had put in the promotional stuff (the one that looks an awful lot like Maul's saber) after the initial theatrical release, it's on the DVD version for sure and I think on one of the later theatrical release versions as well (pretty sure the change didn't make it to the digital-projection editions tho', I saw 'em both and don't remember that).

Are you reffering to the actual movie prop having the angled turrbine fins? Is this saber turned on by the switches on the side?Yeah, the actual movie prop the fins are turbine-style, I think they're stabalization fins for the grenade, you can see the turbine angle on them from this page: http://www.partsofsw.com/bensab.htm
(they're saying now that the emitter may not be a sink drain after all, I think they're right too as that always seemed like an odd shape for a drain).

Is this saber turned on by the switches on the side?I don't think so, it has a classic "activation box" like Luke's and Vader's sabers, the one from the Graflex flashgun in fact.

The Tyranus/Dooku saber is great. I noticed that in the films the curved part of the hilt is mettalic and not like the grayish AOTC saber previously available too.Is that right? I've never seen close-ups of the mini Dooku version, only the Tyranus one I just got, any photos of the difference you can link us to?

nash
03-01-2006, 08:42 PM
I must say, all of those 4 sabers are absolutely amazing in full size form, but I just got a dooku full size LE and that baby is IMPRESSIVE! I cant believe that i've overlooked this saber for so long. when you hold it, it is very very heavy...much heavier than it looks. and it looks gorgeous on display. I love the dooku.

JediTricks
03-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Being done in metal gives them all a quality weight and overall feel, and most of Dooku's is either metal or dense rubber with a curved shape so it does take you off guard. Them having metal "substance" to them is what changed my mind about getting them, and I'm so glad that I did.

Now if they'd just make an Obi-Wan TPM and a Vader ESB, I'd be all set. :D

Maxu3x
03-02-2006, 05:48 PM
They should re release obi wan AOTC too.

JediTricks
03-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I'd prefer the TPM version because the chrome of the AOTC isn't my thing, but I'll take either version at this point. Have they actually re-released any of 'em yet? I know the Dooku one is different from the Tyranus one because of the gray above the pommel.

Maxu3x
03-02-2006, 09:52 PM
that gray above the pommel on the dooku is not in the films. I paused AOTC to get a clear shot at his saber and it looks like the tyranus one. It's also the same for ROTS.