PDA

View Full Version : The Rumors Of My Death...

Beast
02-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Greetings and Salutations...

It's been quite a long time since I've been around. General apathy for all things Star Wars after Episode III pretty much took it's toll on me. That in addition to family problems, led to me retreating away from most of the people online who I enjoyed talking to, i.e. most of you guys. Perhaps not the wisest choice or direction, but what can I say... I'm only human. Or as previously believed, an actual Gungan. :D

I don't really know what it is... maybe it was the end of an era that sent me spiraling down into a river of depression. I know the dark and depressing tone of Episode III contributed to my mood. I had cared for those characters, and even though I knew the turn was coming, it's still an emotional event that sticks with you. Maybe I'm just more sensetive than most? Or I'm totally batcrap crazy in the head. ;)

As of late, there's been a number of developments in my life. My 85 year-old mother came down with congestive heart failure. So it's been a constant struggle trying to make sure she stays healthy and doesn't start gaining water on her lungs again and end up back in the hospital. She's the one person in my family who's sane, and she means a lot. No clue what I'll do when she dies, she's an emotional anchor in this insane world.

Basically I'm sort of feeling a dead-end, and trying to ponder where Star Wars fits into my life. I'll be 30 in just over a month, and Star Wars has always been a fairly major player in my life. But as of late, the interest in the latest news and toys, just isn't there. I just don't know what it is. Maybe it's a need go grow up, or to rediscover that love.

As of late I've been more intestesed in comics, even got back into X-Men comics majorly with re-loaded a short while ago. Every month I feel the same sort of excitement for the latest news that I used to feel for the new pictures of figures or the new news about Star Wars. It's been years since I've been a comic fiend, actually I'm more of one now than I was then. Strange how things work out, especially given my recent apathy.

I start to wonder if others like me have been feeling the same way? The general apathy and malaise about Star Wars. That other things are now subplanting that love in their hearts? And maybe that's why I'm touching base here, I'm curious to see if I'm the only one. Plus I miss you guys, after all we were all here together thru E1 to E3.

I really should see if JT or Steve will still change my name. I'll always being Jar Jar's biggest fan, but there is a time in every man's life that one must move on and embrace something else. We'll see. And don't worry, I won't be leaving again anytime soon. In fact, feel free to chatter with me here... I'd like to make my return to the forums a slow and gradual thing. Get my feet wet with a lil 'Meet and Greet' mixer between friends.

MTFBWY and HH!!

T.A.F.K.A.J.J.B

CaptainSolo1138
02-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Good to see you fully functional again.

Welcome "back", JJB!:thumbsup:

Beast
02-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Good to see you fully functional again.

Welcome "back", JJB!:thumbsup:
Thanks. I wouldn't say fully functional, more like C-3PO on Chewie's back. I need my R2-D2 to come along and get me fully fixed up. :)

JEDIpartner
02-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Sorry to hear that you had some many personal issues going on. I'm sad to hear about your mum. That's awful. I'm really taken aback that you took the end of Star Wars so hard. :(

Personal issues aside... I'm glad to see you back here. :love:

Beast
02-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Sorry to hear that you had some many personal issues going on. I'm sad to hear about your mum. That's awful. I'm really taken aback that you took the end of Star Wars so hard. :(

Personal issues aside... I'm glad to see you back here. :love:
Heh, Thanks JP... it's good to be back.

It sorta shocked me as well, cause I knew what we were in store for with Episode III. But it totally knocked me upside the head when I saw it. It's the only Star Wars film I only saw once in the theater. I saw Episode one around 15-20 times, Episode two about 10. But Episode III just left me emotionally dead. I couldn't even get the passion up to see it a second time. I have since watched it a couple times on DVD though. :)

El Chuxter
02-02-2006, 04:49 PM
"The Artist Formerly Known As JarJarBinks"? Cute. ;)

Sorry to hear about all that's going on, but it is nice to see that cartoony Beast avatar again.

Kidhuman
02-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Welcome back old friend you have been missed online as well. Sorry to hear about your family issues, will keep you and yours in thoughts and prayers. And yes, we can get you to rediscover the lost feelings of all things Star Wars.

Beast
02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
So what happned with Caesar? Did he leave the forums?

El Chuxter
02-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Long story. You ought to look elsewhere for the full details.

Beast
02-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Long story. You ought to look elsewhere for the full details.
Yeah, I found some of the info. Rather interesting. Hope the ole Pirate is doing ok. :)

JediTricks
02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
It sorta shocked me as well, cause I knew what we were in store for with Episode III. But it totally knocked me upside the head when I saw it. It's the only Star Wars film I only saw once in the theater. ... But Episode III just left me emotionally dead. I couldn't even get the passion up to see it a second time. I have since watched it a couple times on DVD though. :)Same exact situation with me, 1 time in theaters and I'm not sure I've watched it more than once on DVD. Weird how we are coming from such different places in our Ep 1 and 2 opinions though that we would arrive at such similar destinations.

I'm really sorry to hear about your mother, my friend Rick's mom was diagnosed with it last year and a month later she wanted to do something special with him so she ended up going to Celebration III (she was in a wheelchair most of the time, that much walking being hard on her), and she's doing better finally this very week (on Monday she got angioplasty, which Tycho went through last year and educated me about it, so I was able to calm my friend's fears about the surgery) - hopefully your mother will doing better soon as well.

I really should see if JT or Steve will still change my name.Steve is the only one who can, but at 10,000 posts under your belt, I can get him to do it. :p What name would you prefer? It'd be weird to have you as something other than JJB. :D

Beast
02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Same exact situation with me, 1 time in theaters and I'm not sure I've watched it more than once on DVD. Weird how we are coming from such different places in our Ep 1 and 2 opinions though that we would arrive at such similar destinations.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie. It's just... so dark and depressing. I almost would have preferred a bit of more lighthearted material just to soften the blow of the film. And see, we do see eye to eye from time to time. ;)

I'm really sorry to hear about your mother, my friend Rick's mom was diagnosed with it last year and a month later she wanted to do something special with him so she ended up going to Celebration III (she was in a wheelchair most of the time, that much walking being hard on her), and she's doing better finally this very week (on Monday she got angioplasty, which Tycho went through last year and educated me about it, so I was able to calm my friend's fears about the surgery) - hopefully your mother will doing better soon as well.
She's been doing a lot better, but it's a vigilant battle. Because she's so old, she doesn't qualify for any of the surgery solutions. So we have to watch her fluids, her salt, and treat it with medication. She's a stubborn old goat though, she'll be back to her top form in no time. Hell, she's already back to grocery shopping by herself. :)

Steve is the only one who can, but at 10,000 posts under your belt, I can get him to do it. :p What name would you prefer? It'd be weird to have you as something other than JJB. :D
I'm not sure yet. I've pretty much changed my online idenity over to Beast from the X-Men, but I'm not sure yet. Gimme some time to think and and maybe I'll even keep JJB. I love the gungan, but it's been what's defined me here since 1999, before that it was Muftak. And I'm not the same person I was back then. :)

Rocketboy
02-02-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure yet. I've pretty much changed my online idenity over to Beast from the X-Men, but I'm not sure yet. Gimme some time to think and and maybe I'll even keep JJB. I love the gungan, but it's been what's defined me here since 1999, before that it was Muftak. And I'm not the same person I was back then. :)How about abit of both - JarJarBeast? :D

Good to see you back.

Kidhuman
02-02-2006, 09:46 PM
How about Sir Binksalot?

JetsAndHeels
02-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey Binks, good to see you on here. I know you and I don't chat much but you've always been one of my favorite posters on here.
Don't feel bad about losing some interest in SW, I have also felt that way..in fact I feel that way now. I still love the saga and all but I don't really buy the toys anymore and if I see something new in the store most likely I just pass it by. Things change.
Sorry to hear about your mother's illness. I hope things go well for you both and you'll be in my thoughts.

bobafrett
02-02-2006, 10:13 PM
JJB, not sure how long you have been gone for, but I do know the pain of watching a parent suffer. Last year (2004 Christmas), I went to see my mom. I was shocked at how much weight she had lost. She was going through Chemo thearapy and all that and the meds she was on, plus fighting cancer just took their toll on her body. I went up to visit with her several times over the next few months, passed on going to CIII and was elated I did because my mom ended up passing in May of 2005. I still have my up and down times, but coming here I feel amongst friends. I'm glad to see your here, and will understand if you disappear again, after all it's family first, always!

Bobafrett

DarthBrandon
02-03-2006, 01:42 AM
Glad to see your not pushing up daisies.:thumbsup: I hope things are getting better along the family front, been through some of that myself. Kinda sucks sometimes but it is a part of life unfortunately. Good to see you around kid.

TC & Peace

B

El Chuxter
02-03-2006, 08:34 AM
If you're looking for a new name, might I suggest Bob Malooga-Looga-Looga-Looga-Looga? :D

InsaneJediGirl
02-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Welcome back JJB :)

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she is doing better :) I have been feeling a little less love for Star Wars,mainly just discouraged by the stuff coming out,not so much the series itself.

Dar' Argol
02-04-2006, 12:16 AM
BINKSY!!! You Cenobite loving blue Gungan!!!! Good to see you again!!!! Haven't typed to you in ages!!!

I understand how you feel about SW right now. I'm kinda in the same place. I'm very disinterested with the new lines coming out, really don't need the 500th version of the same Luke in my house right now. Tastes are changing too. I'm more interested in the busts and props, not that I can afford either . . . Don't really know what it is, but its still good to see you!!! Even if you are "blue" now . . he hehe

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-05-2006, 01:10 PM
It's great to see you here again! Post more often, if you can.

Beast
02-06-2006, 12:50 AM
It's great to see you here again! Post more often, if you can.
I'm going to try. Don't worry. :D

Patient Zero
02-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I guess the only thing we can do now, with the end of the Star Wars movies, is collect old episodes of Manimal. :thumbsup: :whip:

Tycho
02-06-2006, 07:25 PM
JarJarBinks, nice to see you again.

I relate well to what you wrote - except that I loved Episode 3 enough to see it a dozen times in the theater. I like it dark and gloriously bathed in shed and . It's fit my mood.

My mother died in April of 2003 from cancer, and I watched her wither under chemotherapy. I nearly faced myself this past summer.

Then I turned to the Dark Side which helps explain why I love Episode 3 so much. :twisted:

I hope everything in your life turns out alright. I feel as you do about (Hasbro) SW products this year, but I'm finding other things to enjoy in life besides standing outside of retail stores in the wee-hours of the morning while trying to fend off HotWheels collectors with crucifixes and garlic.

We all are unique here in our own special ways but you'll always have friends here as well. I know everyone's posts here helped me a great deal when I was in the hospital. I hope we can bring similar joy to you. I wish you my best to yourself and your family.

jjreason
02-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Welcome back Binks - and to Jonna as well! Long time no "read", guys. I'm actually getting a little misty over this, wondering when and if billfreemore might ever poke around these parts again......... :cry:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Welcome back Binks - and to Jonna as well! Long time no "read", guys. I'm actually getting a little misty over this, wondering when and if billfreemore might ever poke around these parts again......... :cry:

I dunno if his wifey-poo will release the slack on his leash that far.

Welcome back JJB, I look forward to reading your many informative posts.

QLD
02-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Good to se you back, though I am rarely around much myself. I know how you feel, but for different, yet similar reasons. My apathy towards Star Wars came from it being pummeled out of me by the mediocre prequels. But, that's another argument for another day.

I'd like to know what's up with my old pal Caesar, but I can't remember how to get tot he "other" place. If someone wants to point directions, I would be geratly obliged.

Slicker
02-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I can PM you the location of this mysterious "other" place if you want.

QLD
02-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Please do. I forgot the location, and the secret password.