PDA

View Full Version : What professions are you in?

Sith Lord 0498
02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
It occurred to me that by and large we don't know much about the professional lives of our fellow forumites. Obviously, we need to pay for all this s**t somehow!!! So I'm curious...what kind of job do you have?

I'll start (obviously...) :)

While I have a secondary Social Studies teaching certificate, I'm currently working as a TSS (therapeutic staff support) for a children's mental health agency in my home area. Basically, I provide one-on-one interventions for kids with developmental delays, psychological disorders, and learning disabilities. I recently transferred to the Autism/PDD department, so I don't deal with bipolar, schizoaffective, etc. disorders anymore. Actually, the kid I have now is a developmentally delayed six-year-old kindergartener who's obsessed with Herbie: Fully Loaded. :)

So who's next??? :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2006, 06:24 PM
I'll get back to you when I graduate college in four months.

Sith Lord 0498
02-02-2006, 06:40 PM
I'll get back to you when I graduate college in four months.

Ahhh...the good ol' days... (yeah right...this coming from a 24 year old) :)

I miss those days. I had less responsibility!!! :p

Slicker
02-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm in the Navy working as an avionics tech in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The title sounds high and mighty but basically it amounts to the F-18's flying, the pilot reporting an error with a piece of electronic equipment in the plane, the ground crew takes it out of the plane, sends it to my shop where it's run up on several bays of computers to determine what's wrong with it. My job is to repair the computers that fix the gear. It takes time to get the hang of it but once you do and you actually apply yourself it's a piece of cake. And now I know where all of our tax dollars go too. That stuff is expensive and I've probably spent several millions dollars in broken parts in about a year.

maatu
02-02-2006, 08:38 PM
right now i am working for the federal gov. but i want to finish my college career and probably go into radiology or stick to writing and maybe getting my butt into film school.But everybody has pretty cool career's.

Jargo
02-02-2006, 08:52 PM
I am a mime. my body is my tool.

Bobby Fett
02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Happily retired, thanks!

Rocketboy
02-02-2006, 09:01 PM
I still classify myself as "student."

Kidhuman
02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Looking foward to disability.

CaptainSolo1138
02-02-2006, 09:53 PM
I work in the Information Technology department here at CMU. By "work" I mean sit online all day and build up my number of posts on SSG. I would also put myself in the "student" catagory I suppose.

My night job? Pop sensation.

bobafrett
02-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Lets see, I wouldn't call what I do a proffesion, otherwise I'd be making enough money to only have to work one job, 40 to 50 hours a week, and make more then I do working three jobs and working 72 to 75 hours a week.

Main "job" - Assembler for Wal-Mart. I build the bikes, grills and furniture, plus anything else the store might need, like display racks, or today we had an old lady who needed a vaccum cleaner assembled. It was simple, but she wouldn't have had a clue, or so she said.

Second source of income- I deliver Pizza's and work for tips plus delivery fees.

Job I do, just because the only benefit is free membership, I work at the Y.M.C.A. teaching begginers how to work on the equiptment properly. I also spend a lot of time cleaning sweat and dust off of the machines like the treadmills.

CaptainSolo1138
02-02-2006, 10:07 PM
I also spend a lot of time cleaning sweat and dust off of the machines like the treadmills.
I hope they both don't come from the same place.

Unless we're still talking about the old lady. Then I might understand.

bobafrett
02-02-2006, 10:14 PM
I hope they both don't come from the same place.

Unless we're still talking about the old lady. Then I might understand.

ROTFLMAO! lol

stillakid
02-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Currently working as a freelance cameraman. Primarily shooting behind the scenes footage as well as other DVD and entertainment content in Los Angeles.

Also completing work on a book with hopes of going pro in the writing world sooner than later.

For some extra cash, I go to retail stores early in the mornings and take the best toys to resell them later to frazzeled 30-something year old goons. :love:

Blue2th
02-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Automobile Cosmotologist, uh a car painter. Been doing this for many years as a pro. It has gotten quite complex colorwise with new colors, systems that change every year: Clearcoats, Tri-coats, Candies, Chamaleons, etc. People like to trick out their Bling-Bling rides, as well as a lot of accidents in this the booming Southwest. Toxic (I wear protection)but good money. Gets better every year, as there are not enough Padwans to train that are coming up through the ranks, or rather have the gift for it. You can't teach a rock how to swim sometimes. Though I have one Apprentice who might take my place someday. Part-time pro musician at night/weekends: Lead guitar, Bass in another band, backing and some lead vocals.

LusiferSam
02-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Right now I'm a grad student. This semester I'm not being paid. When my advisor has money (and can pay me) I'm a Research Assistant. Income is lumpy.

A couples a year I work for my parents at their flower shop as a delivery drive. It's a pretty crappy job, but I'm really good at so I'm brought in on the major holidays to pound.

CooLJoE
02-03-2006, 04:40 AM
I work and 8 hours shift on a tech support phone line for my work's Point Of Sale system. The bonus of it is that the calls come right to my cell phone, so all I need is my cell phone and internet access (sometimes I don't even need the internet access). The pay isn't incredible though.

I did have a 2nd job working as IT Admin for another company (contracted from my main work to this other company) for 2 days a week, which paid well considering it was only 2 days a week for like 4 hours each day. They recently decided to switch to an on-call service that is located near all 3 of their locations (east and west side of the state, and in the state below mine). Sucks to be losing this job, but it was a 1 hour drive each way, so the bonus is less mileage and gas required for my car. I'll end up going back to my main work and working their while doing the tech line (2 seperate pay rates done at the same time). If that doesn't work, I'll be finding a new job.

Shadow Knight
02-03-2006, 05:39 AM
I am a vehicle inspector, I basically inspect off-lease units, and repossessions at various auto auctions, and also do these inspections at peoples homes or business locations. I have been doing this about 5 years, and plan to stay with it another 25-30 years. Inspecting repos can be quite exciting or gross. You never know what sort of items someone might leave behind in their car before it is taken away from them.

vader68
02-03-2006, 07:33 AM
I was in the restaurant industry for 15 years. The last 10 of which I was a manager. Now I am a stay at home Dad, with 3 kids. My wife carries the benefits, so when we found out we were having twins, we decided I would stay home.

arctangent
02-03-2006, 08:00 AM
i'm a graphic/website designer.

and i'm starting to hate computers:upset: !

Lazer Brain
02-03-2006, 08:49 AM
I am a CAD Operator, I have Been Drafting for over 20 years now. The past 4 years I have become an independant contractor working for who ever will pay me the most , but that it starting to pan out, so i am hoping to get a permanent gig again somewhere, it won't pay as much but it should be stable.I have designed pipelines to theatrical props, and has for the most part been fun to do.i guess i'm lucky that i enjoy the work so much. On the side I am a artist and avid collector.
later

Rogue II
02-03-2006, 09:32 AM
I work for an international engineering firm as an engineering technician, which involves being a CAD operator, some project management, a little land surveying, a bit of soil identification, and whatever else they tell me to do. And, until October 2005, I did the same thing for the Air Force for 12 years, but I decided to turn down a promotion and get out. Besides, I'm making more money now. cha-ching!

I have an associates degree, but I'm going back this summer or fall to finish my bachelors.

jedi master sal
02-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I work in the Information Technology department here at CMU. By "work" I mean sit online all day and build up my number of posts on SSG. I would also put myself in the "student" catagory I suppose.

My night job? Pop sensation.

By CMU you meean Carnegie Mellon University? If so I'm right down the road from you.

I work for the University of Pittsburgh as the senior pre-press operator/graphic designer in our Marketing/Communications department. Wholly 40% of everything that is Pitt printed materials comes through my office in some capacity or another. That's wheterh I design it myself, or "preflight" it for the printing presses.

-Sal

CaptainSolo1138
02-03-2006, 11:21 AM
By CMU you mean Carnegie Mellon University? If so I'm right down the road from you.Actually, it's Central Michigan University. You aren't the first person to think Carnegie-Mellon though. I guess it's alot like someone who goes to University of Maryland saying they go to U of M and everyone thinking they got to Michigan.

Besides, I'm a sworn Red Wings fan. I couldn't put up with you Penguins guys. ;)

Captain Spoon
02-03-2006, 12:29 PM
I am a Network Server Admin which means I sit around watching movies on my laptop and playing Nintendo all day untill someth'n breaks.
I also have a degree from the Fred Garvin School of Male Prostitution, it comes in handy on a rainy day :thumbsup:

Battle Droid
02-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Couch Potatoing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm a drug smuggler/part time gunrunner.

Sentinel18725
02-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I am a paramedic for the Chicago Fire Department and am a Hazardous Materials/Terrorism Instructor. Not too many people in my job have an affinity for Star Wars....alot of sports and drinking for their past time hobbies.

jedi master sal
02-04-2006, 05:51 AM
I am a paramedic for the Chicago Fire Department and am a Hazardous Materials/Terrorism Instructor. Not too many people in my job have an affinity for Star Wars....alot of sports and drinking for their past time hobbies.

Drinkin's good, heh heh.

So you instruct Terrorism? j/k

Serious stuff there man. I was a paramedic in the Navy, 15 years ago.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Besides, I'm a sworn Red Wings fan. I couldn't put up with you Penguins guys. ;)Why? We're good for 2+ wins for you each season... along with the rest of the NHL it seems. :(

As some of you may recall from previous posts, I am a high school teacher. I have freshmen and sophomore English, plus I have been the yearbook advisor the last 2 1/2 years. I have credentials in English, Social Science, and Business Administration, and I've in the past worked as...

Newspaper carrier (6 1/2 yrs)
Drive-thru dairy clerk (1 1/2 yrs)
Hotel clerk/manager (4 yrs)
Substitute teacher/tutor (2 yrs)
Various food jobs (about 1 yr)
"Professional student" (about 5 to 6 yrs)
"Lifelong learner" (** yrs) :p

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-05-2006, 11:30 AM
(smiling as he looks over his classroom :pleased: ) I teach the future of America.

(After staring a few seconds the smile disappears) :neutral:

(After a few seconds LBC bangs his head against the desk). :cry:

Darth Instigator
02-05-2006, 05:45 PM

Paramedic in New York and I don't drink or care for sports other than playing them when I can.

Tycho
02-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I am the leader of a terrorist organization.

I am also the President of the Mouse Droid Sniffers' Association.

In my off-time I'm a financial planner with my B.A. degree in economics and insurance, securities, and retirement planning licenses.

I've also started part-time acting and I'm currently developing a novel that I'll get together with a screen play writer on at some point when I can settle it with myself that I've revised my work as far as I'm going to get with it.

I used to hold elected office in the community of San Diego, but was forced to resign due to health concerns and relocation out of my council district. I may also be forced to give up financial planning, as I am fiscally secure, but need to concentrate on just getting enough rest and a lot less stress in my life right now.

I like writing a lot because I can do it at all hours, day or night, and in between a lot of naps I've found I have to take since returning from the hospital.

arctangent
02-06-2006, 06:27 AM
I am a Network Server Admin which means I sit around watching movies on my laptop and playing Nintendo all day untill someth'n breaks.

this is for captain spoon and all the other boffins and tech-heads here:

http://www.weakendproductions.co.uk/movs/jebsjobs.html