PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow Bespin Han Solo 12"!!!!!!!!!

decadentdave
02-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Behold!!!!

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=020206han&source=020206news

JediTricks
02-02-2006, 10:19 PM
What an unusual choice to start with. Not that I have a problem with Han or anything, he's awesome, but as a long-term collector of the Hasbro 12" line, it felt like they kinda did Han to death, so I'm surprised to see this coming out so soon after Hasbro's reign of terror ended. Hopefully the likeness is spot-on, it's amazingly difficult to capture Harrison Ford's likeness in a toy for some reason, and if they get the face and hair right it'll be probably their biggest coup yet.

My personal opinion based solely on this mask-wearing teaser photo is that the eyes and eyebrows don't look right, the eyes seem too close together and too big, the eyebrows seem too thick, as compared to these photos: http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Han_Solo/The_Empire_Strikes_Back&image=trustme.jpg&img=&tt=
http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Han_Solo/The_Empire_Strikes_Back&image=esb05.jpg&img=&tt=
http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Han_Solo/The_Empire_Strikes_Back&image=hanhoth2.jpg&img=16&tt=
http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Han_Solo/The_Empire_Strikes_Back&image=Han_pic.jpg&img=16&tt=
But it's entirely possible that the full face, or possibly even just an angle change, will change the way all this looks. Still, it's Han, if he's got his gun strapped to his leg, that's a good start.

decadentdave
02-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah, Ford's likeness is gonna be tough. They did a tremendous job on the Premium Format figure but I agree it doesn't look quite like him. I wonder if the gas mask will be exclusive to the Sideshow Exclusive Edition? It's not like he used another accessory besides his blaster. Maybe Hydrospanners?

Personally, I was hoping for Hoth Han Solo but oh well...

Vaderrules
02-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Yeah, Ford's likeness is gonna be tough. They did a tremendous job on the Premium Format figure but I agree it doesn't look quite like him. I wonder if the gas mask will be exclusive to the Sideshow Exclusive Edition? It's not like he used another accessory besides his blaster. Maybe Hydrospanners?

I think this figure is gonna rock, it looks pretty awesome

Jayspawn
02-02-2006, 11:02 PM
I cant wait to see the whole thing. I'll have more of an oppinion then.

The think the Bespin is an interesting choice for Han. I thought they would have started with a Classic. But thats ok! I wonder which Leia they will start with? Could be anything at this point.

decadentdave
02-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Considering the fact that they did Classic in Premium Format and SS's podcast said there would be a considerable length of time before these would be made in 1:6 scale, chances are good that for Heroes of the Rebellion we will be getting Bespin versions of Luke, Leia and Lando.

Vaderrules
02-02-2006, 11:23 PM
I think this figure is gonna rock, it looks pretty awesome "I find your lack of faith disturbing"

Slicker
02-02-2006, 11:31 PM
This is indeed an odd choice. Not the fact that it's Han but the fact that they're making him in his Bespin outfit. It looks great and I may have to look into this one.

Turbowars
02-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Looks promising so far. I just hope when Leia comes out she wont be in a dress. Bespin Luke will be pretty cool with copped off hand and what not. It sure would be cool if he came with the whether vain thingy.

decadentdave
02-03-2006, 12:08 AM
My prediction is that Bespin Luke Sideshow Edition will come with exclusive Bacta Tourniquet and Bespin Leia will be in the white jumpsuit but the SS exclusive will include the gown similar to the cloak that was included with SS exclusive Aragorn.

plasticfetish
02-03-2006, 12:23 AM
For some reason, the image that they're using kind of reminds me Dr. Satan. (I dunno why.)

Tycho
02-03-2006, 01:48 AM
I definitely want this Han. This is the Hasbro-re-do I've been waiting for! I also want Bespin Leia IN THE DRESS.

So - something positive to say from Tycho. :thumbsup:

CooLJoE
02-03-2006, 05:30 AM
I would have rather had the ANH version of Han Solo, but oh well.

Can't wait to see Lando. That one I will definetely be getting.

Sith Lord 0498
02-03-2006, 06:47 AM

There's something about the eyes as well that doesn't look quite right. I wish they'd chosen to reveal the full face sculpt. That way, we'd be able to tell if the whole package so to speak was up to par.

As for the exclusive, I'm thinking it'll be a mynock.

zakkattakk
02-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Yeah, it's a really cool fig, but I'll probably pass, but i'm somewhat tempted to get the regular. But i'm not going through the hassle for the exclusive.

Harrison's eyes are brown...maybe they'll change that in the finished fig. They have plenty of time to.

JEDIpartner
02-03-2006, 09:34 AM
I thought there have been a few good Han likenesses. The UNLEASHED Han and the VOTC were nearly perfect. This one, however, looks more like Martin Landau from Space:1999 days. I'd have to see it without the mask on. They really should have shown it without the mask and with it. Unless they are hiding something...?

;)

IG65
02-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I also want Bespin Leia IN THE DRESS.

I'm with you Tycho. Leia didn't have that many different costumes (compared to Padme, anyway) so I'd like to get her in the Bespin dress. The white jumpsuit would be good too, but a little further down the road.

Tycho
02-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm with you Tycho. Leia didn't have that many different costumes (compared to Padme, anyway) so I'd like to get her in the Bespin dress. The white jumpsuit would be good too, but a little further down the road.

Yeah, most of her white outfits and now Boussh as of late (plus who could forget the bikini?) have been done to death. (except I'd buy a Hasbro 3 3/4" of her from the end of ESB, hair up, Senator dress).

But for 12", Bespin Dress is seriously needed and a good sculpt that looks like Carrie Fisher in Endor (Speederbike) Gear (and doesn't look like Brunette Barbie) would also be a top choice for me (doesn't need to come with a freaking huge speederbike either).

AmanaMatt
02-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Good choice for the good guys....I agree with JT in that the eyes/eyebrow look off, but it could be an angle thing - I will wait to see actual pics before really thinking about it.

As for an exclusive, since it is Bespin Han with the mask, a Mynock would seem like the perfect item....I am trying to think of any other ESB items Han alone would have had to make an alternate exclusive?

Darth Cruel
02-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Another great figure that I will be anxiously stressing to get the exclusive of. I am just curious as to what accessories could come with him. I hope it is not the mynock. There is no imagination in that. I would go for "dirty hands". That would allow for a cool tie-in with Leia, who could also come with "dirty hands".

JEDIpartner
02-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Dannii Minogue: "Dirty hands... I demand. Put the needle on it. I'll tell you where I want it. Come on and spin me on it... all my freaks say-- "

Darth Cruel
02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Dannii Minogue: "Dirty hands... I demand. Put the needle on it. I'll tell you where I want it. Come on and spin me on it... all my freaks say-- "

LOL - Thanks for taking all the romance out of the "dirty hands" scene.

And speaking of romance...if I am going to pull my disco fog machine out of mothballs to re-create the space slug mouth scene...Chewbacca better have an oxygen mask as well!

JediTricks
02-03-2006, 03:19 PM
I figured the hydrospanners and the tool drawer they were in would be likely accessories, they fell on Han's head during the beginning of the asteroid chase. I suppose it'd be asking too much for a carbonite block tho'. ;)

maatu
02-03-2006, 06:55 PM
i think it looks good. but i don't think were going to see a bespin luke and pilot luke. i hope they just pick certain characters wearing certain outfits and not kill it like hasbro did with the 12 inch line.we don' t need 10 different lukes or leia or hans. But then again i would like to see a tatooine luke skywalker. maybe they can sell outfits for the characters that would be interesting.i am going to get this one and i am waiting to see when they show us chewbacca.i wonder what the toyfair exclusive is?but then again i am not complaining. i am just happy to get a chance to get such a cool figure. did you guys check out the custom of han solo that the anakin skywalker designer did...it was cool.

JediTricks
02-03-2006, 08:54 PM
I'd rather have Bespin Luke or Pilot Luke than karate-practice Luke any day though, so I think it's gonna be hard for them to accomodate everybody's tastes on main characters who have multiple looks (not just costumes but faces and hairstyles).

decadentdave
02-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Aw c'mon. JT... what do you mean you don't want Hi-Karate Luke? He'd go with my Matrix Kung Fu Neo and Morpheus and you could pose him for a some three-way Matrix jujitsu action! (that sounds sick, I know!) lol

Hellboy
02-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Interesting choice, I definitely wasn't expecting this to be the first figure but I like it. :thumbsup:

Exhaust Port
02-03-2006, 10:26 PM
I suppose it'd be asking too much for a carbonite block tho'. ;)

They'll just include a package of plaster. Add water and toss your $100 figure in and *poof* Han in Plas....err, Carbonite. ;)

maatu
02-03-2006, 11:11 PM
well my question was answered . this is the toyfair exclusive.:thumbsup:

Turbowars
02-03-2006, 11:16 PM
well my question was answered . this is the toyfair exclusive.:thumbsup:What? How can that be? We can order it next Friday.

Tycho
02-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Has anyone been charged or shipped any of SS's figures yet? Luke ROTJ maybe?

I ordered Obi-Wan and Kit, and wished I could find a 2nd Obi-Wan and now probably regret not ordering Anakin.

I plan on ordering Han Bespin. He's the only Han I would order unless they made a seriously cool carbonite one.

Anyway, I just don't want all this stuff to be charged and shipped to me at once. What's the word "Luke purchasers?"

decadentdave
02-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Don't worry. They won't charge your card until it is ready to ship.

Turbowars
02-03-2006, 11:43 PM
From what I understand SS e-mails you a week or something like that before they charge your card so you can get funds ready and what not. So to answer your question, No they have not started to charge our cards yet.

Tycho
02-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys.

I appreciate the info.

Darth Cruel
02-04-2006, 09:05 AM
What? How can that be? We can order it next Friday.

Sideshow did say on their last podcast that the TF exclusive would be available on the website for pre-order (not in so many words, but the inference was intentionally unmistakeable). And I am glad considering that only people who have a business interest in the industry can go to TF.

Battle Droid
02-04-2006, 11:40 AM
The exclusive accessory is a mynock, they said during the chat.

Darth Instigator
02-04-2006, 03:01 PM
How much is it projected to be?

JEDIpartner
02-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Probably right around $50 like the other ones...

Darth Instigator
02-04-2006, 05:12 PM
oh ok, this is my first time seeing these. I am new to most of this stuff

Tycho
02-04-2006, 06:26 PM
I wonder what the Mynock will smell like? I can't wait until Sideshow starts shipping their figures so I can make recommendations regarding snorting them.

IG65
02-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I wonder what the Mynock will smell like?

Let's hope they don't try for a realistic olfactory experience. I'm guessing Mynocks probably don't smell all that good. :D

Turbowars
02-04-2006, 08:44 PM
If that mynock is to scale, it's gona be pretty big. It's a cool idea, but what will we do with it? I guess we will have to wait until SS makes a 1/6 scale Falcon to put them on.:yes:

IG65
02-05-2006, 09:33 PM
I guess we will have to wait until SS makes a 1/6 scale Falcon to put them on.

Now THAT would be cool. I don't want to even think about how much I would be willing to spend on it. I saw one that was close once. I think it was in the FAO Schwartz in San Fransisco. :thumbsup:

jedibear
02-05-2006, 11:04 PM
My thoughts so far...

What's with the light-colored eyes?
I like it that we're getting this version. They can hold off on the Hoth version awhile...that's actually one of my favorite 12" figures in the Hasbro collection (the Han/Tauntaun set)
Yeah, that mynock is going to have to be pretty big if it's to scale. I think a set of Hydrospanners would be a good choice...
I agree with Tycho...if & when Leia comes along, I hope it's the Bespin Gown version...something that hasn't been done before.
I hope we get a little more of a preview before friday on what this one looks like...the airmask is nice, but I'd like to see that face full-on before bangin' on the keyboard friday morning...

SS is sure keeping us hoppin' (not that it's a bad thing...just an expensive one....)

Darth Cruel
02-07-2006, 05:05 PM
I wonder what the Mynock will smell like? I can't wait until Sideshow starts shipping their figures so I can make recommendations regarding snorting them.

Probably not very good. You know, when you eat a diet of power from the power cables it tends to leave you with unpleasant odiferous eminations.

Sith Lord 0498
02-08-2006, 07:07 AM
My thoughts so far...

What's with the light-colored eyes?
I like it that we're getting this version. They can hold off on the Hoth version awhile...that's actually one of my favorite 12" figures in the Hasbro collection (the Han/Tauntaun set)
Yeah, that mynock is going to have to be pretty big if it's to scale. I think a set of Hydrospanners would be a good choice...
I agree with Tycho...if & when Leia comes along, I hope it's the Bespin Gown version...something that hasn't been done before.
I hope we get a little more of a preview before friday on what this one looks like...the airmask is nice, but I'd like to see that face full-on before bangin' on the keyboard friday morning...

SS is sure keeping us hoppin' (not that it's a bad thing...just an expensive one....)

Sideshow posted an unpainted shot of the head sculpt in their production blog. Without the mask, it definitely looks like Han. And they've acknowledged the error with the eye color...updated version will be seen Friday.

http://sideshow.directtrack.com/z/10140/pwise/&l=43343

plasticfetish
02-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Yeah, that's a nice sculpt. If they can nail the paint on his face and hair a little better, then they've really done it right. Can't wait to see more...

Darth Cruel
02-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Two things that stand out to me about this figure:

1) The portrait appears to be his expression when he says "It's me" (wrong movie, I know). I am particularly glad about that because I have always thought that expression best exemplified his personality.

and 2) A small detail no doubt, but I am an avid accessories buff. And the weapons are my favorite accessories (95% of the time), and, with Sideshow's reputation, we are certain to finally, after nearly 30 years, get an accurate sculpt of Han Solo's blaster as opposed to those atrocious excuses for blasters that Hasbro did.

Sith Lord 0498
02-08-2006, 08:23 PM
After seeing the maskless face (unpainted as it is), I will definitely be going online to pre-order this one on Friday. If I'm home at the time, I'll try for the exclusive, but I'll be happy enough with the regular edition. I'm just glad to see that Sideshow has improved their servers.

This'll bring my pre-orders to 4 out of 5 (sorry...Kit Fisto just doesn't do it for me...)

Battle Droid
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
The Mynock,

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/img/20060208_2_bg.jpg

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/misc/news20060208.html

Darth Cruel
02-09-2006, 09:11 AM
If that mynock is to scale, it's gona be pretty big. It's a cool idea, but what will we do with it? I guess we will have to wait until SS makes a 1/6 scale Falcon to put them on.:yes:

Judging buy the picture linked to on news article from the SSG home page (um, and above apparently. I wonder why I didn't see that post until after I posted this one), it looks to be scaled close if not correctly. The shot shows it on an open refrigerator door with a guy getting something out of the fridge. It looks like it could be as large as 4" - 6" at the wingspan. And being magnetic, gives it some latitude for uses.

Tycho
02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
This exclusive is going to make it even harder to order it. Joy.

K M Toydarian
02-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Got my order in, email confirmation by 10:04. Not bad. 54.99 for exclusive w/ Mynock, 49.99 for reg. version.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Still waiting to log in. They greeted me with the whole face's likeness though and I was really turned off, the mouth looks downright bad, hopefully it's just that 1 angle, but it looks like he's got the mumps or something.

BlueSnags
02-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Just ordered the Exclusive. The Mynock looks sweet. This is gonna be one of the best figures yet, IMHO.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Ok, my order just placed. I figure if it comes looking like that, I can still trade or sell it and not lose any cash. I also used that coupon code which came with the newsletter finally for $5 off.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 01:19 PM
The edition size for this exclusive is the largest yet, 2000 units, and I kinda have a feeling that this is the one that will actually make it out of priority preorder, there are fewer accessories, the facial likeness is a little off, the jacket is blue, and the exclusive is $5 more than the regular. Still, I don't think it'll fail, just that it'll last an extra hour or so.

Tycho
02-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I am having a lot of server difficulty getting this one. Part of it is that I'm not logged in from my personal home computer (long story). Anyway, I'm getting very frustrated here.

Darth Cruel
02-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Got it! And Kudos to Sideshow for bumping the edition size! I hope they keep it up. Everybody head to the Star Wars General section for an expose' on Target! To be done sometime today.

Tycho
02-10-2006, 01:42 PM
OK, I got it. It took enough effort and retrieving my password, remembering what my user name was, etc. I forget whether I'm Tycho or Josh on various websites...I'm SSGsTycho on some even. I don't care at the moment. I'm a future Happy Han Solo Owner at the moment.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Congrats on finally getting it Tycho. A word of advice for the next time, try to get your Username/Password stuff worked out through their site the day before, I was nearly in the same boat on Obi-Wan because I hadn't used it in a month or so, but luckily pulled it out of my memory banks (it was rough though, it really felt like it was being RIPPED out of my mind).

JEDIpartner
02-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Oh, boy... this is a stinker!

sithseeker
02-10-2006, 01:55 PM
After some delays and pages not loading I got the exclusive. I think this one is pretty nice. The Kit Fisto exclusive wasn't as hard to order, but Han is a classic so I guess he draws a much larger crowd. Good luck.

JEDIpartner
02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
I logged on to order it and then passed 'cos it looked bad.

Tycho
02-10-2006, 02:02 PM
That explains why I was having trouble ordering - because JP was congesting the bandwidth at Sideshow's server looking at pictures! :whip:

J/K lol

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Heh heh, Tim Matheson, that's a good one!

So, with 57 minutes to go in Priority Preorder, the SE page has the graphic up for 30 more left, which I guess shoots my "it'll make it out" theory down in flames faster than a mynock dropping off the Falcon after being blasted. Now I'm extra glad I didn't mention my theory in the news article I posted.

BlueSnags
02-10-2006, 02:18 PM
They are now officially...GONE.

So they sold 2000 units in an hour and 20 min. Impressive, most impressive.

Sith Lord 0498
02-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I waited for the order page to load for nearly 20 minutes before I saw the pics on Rebelscum's forums. Suddenly, I didn't feel so irritated that Sideshow's servers seemed to go back to their ways. I closed that window and pictured an extra $55 dollars in my pocket.

That face sculpt is AWFUL!!! He looks like a cherub with a bad wig. Not a very good likeness of Harrison Ford at all, which is surprising considering how well the Premium Format version looked. Yeah, the mynock is cool, but that's all. Not even a lot of accessories or interchangeable hands.

Sideshow dropped the ball on this one, artistically and logistically (site slowdown).

Although, the Mace Windu figure looks pretty good. Not dead-on for SLJ, but close enough.

JEDIpartner
02-10-2006, 04:24 PM
I was expecting more because they did a fair job on the Premium version. I mean, even THAT one wasn't perfect but it was a lot closer than the Tim Matheson as Han Solo version they are selling.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 05:18 PM
The head was sculpted by Mat Falls, he co-founded SSC and is one of their main sculptors according to the bio on their site. As I look through his portfolio I see some good work but I also see some faces that suggest he has a heavy blind spot for eyes and mouths/cheeks - his Frank Black is dead on but his Fox Molder is off; Pierce Brosnan is very accurate but his Christopher Lee as Scaramanga is vague. Of SW, he did Luke ROTJ 12" which has had both detractors as well as proponents; and he did premium 1/4 ANH Obi-Wan which looks accurate from the front but not as much from the side and has haunted eyes.

Turbowars
02-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Once again having the wife not worked paid off. Though she did say it took an hour to order it. Looks good. Not perfect, but good. Kit is the only one that looks perfect. Humans are a pain, so I'll give SS some slack. Oh and I was able to get the Exclusive for the regular price with the Coupon that I forgot about for awhile. Thanks Crunchy!

Warstar
02-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Got my Solo...2 minutes into the sale.

Couldn't check anything from there because the site CRAWLED for over an hour afterward- SO! Got my confirmation e-mail and ran! :D

I LOVE THE MYNOCK!

I'm keeping this one ;)

AmanaMatt
02-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I scored the SS exclusive version....it took a solid 20 minutes of nonstop attempts...at work, that is kinda messed up.

The Han face is not perfect, but for me, it is mostly the paint - way to orangeish

plasticfetish
02-10-2006, 08:07 PM
My thoughts on this...

First, I had no problem getting through to order the exclusive. As a matter of fact, I nearly forgot about the whole thing, and kind of zipped over thinking I'd probably missed out -- but I was able to log in and place my order really quickly.

(A nice fast broadband connection is really worth the money.)

Second, I liked the sculpt enough from what I'm seeing to give it a chance. I'm going to bet that the final version -- not this prototype version where they quickly fixed the paint job on the eyes -- is a bit better.

Turbowars
02-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Having broadband connection didn't help me out. I wonder why?

AmanaMatt
02-10-2006, 09:13 PM
I was on the equivalent of a T1 line, and it took 20 min...I don't get it. I like the look of this fig enough....SS seems to paint their faces a bit too orange-ish for me, but I have major hope this is not done tweaking.

Still way, way better than Hasbro's quality level, by a mile. I love that accessory - favorite yet, I just hope they hide the magnet in its mouth a bit somehow, but if not, that is still sweet - and big.

Darth Cruel
02-11-2006, 12:34 AM
I was on a 56k dial-up and got it ordered in about 15 minutes. I am not convinced that the conection speed is the sole consideration for efficiency. I am glad I got the Han ordered. Now I have to go over to ebay and see how many are already listed and for how much.

Just got back. 1 for a starting bid of 60.00 and three with bin's of 135 to 160 dollars.

plasticfetish
02-11-2006, 03:31 AM
I was on a 56k dial-up and got it ordered in about 15 minutes.Well... what took you 15 minutes took me 1.5 minutes. ;) (Just teasing.) But yeah, you're probably right, it's more than likely just a matter of hitting it at the right moment.

I wonder though... I waited a bit before I logged in, so I wonder if those that jump in right away tend to get bottlenecked a bit until things smooth out at SS's end. (Hmmm.)

Darth Cruel
02-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Well... what took you 15 minutes took me 1.5 minutes. ;) (Just teasing.) But yeah, you're probably right, it's more than likely just a matter of hitting it at the right moment.

I wonder though... I waited a bit before I logged in, so I wonder if those that jump in right away tend to get bottlenecked a bit until things smooth out at SS's end. (Hmmm.)

I should clarify that the 15 minutes included about ten to get a hit and about 5 of loading through the pages.

I can't tell everyone how important it is to be patient and let the page load. DO NOT REFRESH UNLESS YOU GET AN ERROR MESSAGE OR WAIT FIVE MINUTES. It sometimes takes what seems like forever to get the page loaded. I was thinking that I was about to loose out (I was expecting a sell-out in 30-45 minutes), and when I finally loaded through the first page, it was only 10:12. I thought I was waiting 5 minutes between refreshing and refreshed a total of 5 times before I got in (I was panicking and I shouldn't have been). When I ordered Kit Fisto, I was patient and got an error message on my first try, but I got the hit on the second and didn't know I got a hit until the page had loaded for about 2 full minutes, (and that seemed like an hour).

The connection speed matters in that by the time you load through on a 56K dial-up there could be 4 or 5 people with speed connections that order around you, but you are not helping yourself by continuously refreshing. You could be wiping out a slow-loading hit. I usually keep to this advice and fortunately it didn't cost me to ignore it this time.

Oh, yeah. And PF - I do believe that there is a severe bottle-neck for the first twenty minutes or so. But I chose to fight it because ya just never know what will happen.

Does anybody know how long it took to sell through the exclusive edition?

JediTricks
02-11-2006, 08:25 PM
It sold out at 11:12am and didn't go live until 10:02, that's an hour and 10 minutes to sell 2000 units of a figure a lot of folks think the likeness is shaky on (hey, I bought one too). :D

Sith Lord 0498
02-11-2006, 09:59 PM
It sold out at 11:12am and didn't go live until 10:02, that's an hour and 10 minutes to sell 2000 units of a figure a lot of folks think the likeness is shaky on (hey, I bought one too). :D

This apparently seems to be a case where Sideshow's pictures actually show the figure in a poorer light. I stopped trying to get an order in when I saw the likeness, but after seeing today's pictures from Rebelscum, I placed an order for the regular edition. Yeah, the likeness is still shaky in certain angles, but it looks much better than the Sideshow pics let on.

JEDIpartner
02-13-2006, 11:07 AM
The head was sculpted by Mat Falls, he co-founded SSC and is one of their main sculptors according to the bio on their site. As I look through his portfolio I see some good work but I also see some faces that suggest he has a heavy blind spot for eyes and mouths/cheeks - his Frank Black is dead on but his Fox Molder is off; Pierce Brosnan is very accurate but his Christopher Lee as Scaramanga is vague. Of SW, he did Luke ROTJ 12" which has had both detractors as well as proponents; and he did premium 1/4 ANH Obi-Wan which looks accurate from the front but not as much from the side and has haunted eyes.

Yes, I argee. I think it's one of those cases where you have someone who is a good artist but, for some reason, cannot "do hands". LOL Matt seems to have an issue with feature placement. Again, it's not completely horrid but... I am not willing to pay $50 for a half-baked version of one of my all-time favourite movie heroes. You know?

Although... not only does it sorta look like Tim Matheson-- but it looks a bit like Jedi Drew with a full head of hair!!! :eek:

Darth Cruel
08-02-2006, 11:41 AM
I just got my 15 day notice for Han from Sideshow...apparently he has been moved in front of Obi-Wan as well. Man, this will make some people mad!

Edit - Could it be that I will (seemingly) be the first person on Earth to get Han like I (seemingly) was with Anakin?

BlueSnags
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Just got mine as well. Sweet!

K M Toydarian
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Got mine this morning also. And here in So. Cal. they arrive in a day after shipping, so he'll be here soon!
Han was one I was rethinking too, after ordering the Jabba gang. I really want that Mynock though. But since he is shipping soon, I guess I will bite the bullet.

tagmac
08-02-2006, 02:40 PM
I put myself on the wait list for the regular version of this figure last week. My fingers are crossed, but I'm not expecting to get lucky on this one.

JediTricks
08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I also got the notice this morning, came on to put up a story, saw DC's in the queue and posted it (with a few modifications).

After the disappointment on SDCC AniVader, I was rethinking my interest in Han Bespin, but this notice has me rethinking my rethinking (it's the gun, simple as that).

Tycho
08-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm getting the Mynock with my Han :D

I was just in my storage units. If I'd known, I'd have pulled my 15" Chewie (or whatever the OTC KB Exclusive measures, my boxed Hasbro Lando (have no intentions at present to order a Bespin Lando should they make him - I want the General from Endor version), and of course that great MPE C-3PO from the book series. I want SideShow to make a Bespin Gown Leia and then my little scene will be complete:

L: "Having trouble with your droid?"

H: "No. There's no problem. Why?"

I'm doing it for several reasons:

1) I can have a 12" C-3PO disassembled.

2) I can display a decent Han Solo Bespin figure at long last.

3) If they make a Leia Bespin figure at long last, I can display her too.

4) I would like Chewie to carry C-3PO in the net, but that's not how the scene goes. I think giving him half and egg carton for the droid parts will work fine.

5) If SideShow makes a really good Bespin Lando, it might give me pause, but I really don't want to purchase one. However****

*** Once I have Han, aside from 2 Obi-Wans I ordered - Murphy's Law being this is the single piece from SideShow that I wanted the most - I am done with all SideShow purchases for the foreseeable future until Jabba ships.
Theoretically, they could tempt me with Lando, but again I prefer the Endor-General version as I have a "scene" in mind that's all-ready for that (Wedge, Ackbar, R2-A6, and as soon as SideShow's military line makes them - a pair of Rebel Fleet Troopers and possibly other Rebel Pilots).

Darth Cruel
08-02-2006, 05:15 PM
I also got the notice this morning, came on to put up a story, saw DC's in the queue and posted it (with a few modifications).

I'll say! Just to set the record straight. The opinions expressed in that news post were the unanimous opinions of all forum members of Sir Steve's Guide. I'm just the messenger.:D

JediTricks
08-02-2006, 05:43 PM
And here I thought KH was our most favored forumite. ;)

Turbowars
08-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah got my notice as well. SSC must be having issues with Obi.

Slicker
08-02-2006, 08:09 PM
And here I thought KH was our most favored forumite. ;)Nah. KH is just the "Must Have"

JediTricks
08-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Well, here it is the first day Sideshow might charge cards for Han and it doesn't look like it. No surprise really, it's Saturday after all.

Hellboy
08-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Looks like Han is getting closer. I just received the UPS shipping information for mine.

BlueSnags
08-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Looks like Han is getting closer. I just received the UPS shipping information for mine.

Same here. Won't be long now.

Turbowars
08-21-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't get it. Mine still says Order Placed. I got my order in fast. Seems to happen every time. I wonder if it has something to do with e-mail address, being that it's starts with a T and not an A. Although I do like T&A!:pleased:

Darth Cruel
08-22-2006, 03:00 PM
UPS' tracking page shows Han to be on the truck for delivery to my house as I compose this post. I should have him by the time I get home from work at 4:00 this afternoon.

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't get it. Mine still says Order Placed. I got my order in fast. Seems to happen every time. I wonder if it has something to do with e-mail address, being that it's starts with a T and not an A. Although I do like T&A!:pleased:
It has nothing to do with email address order, they say it's in order of when you preordered it. Mine says "Item Shipping Soon", I still have not received billing for mine yet I ordered at 10:14am, so their system is a tad screwy. But you always seem to have more trouble with their orders than anybody else before it even gets to the credit card stage (if it was at the credit card stage when there was a problem, that'd tell us that it was related to your name, address, card number, personal data like that, but it's not), I really think you should talk to a supervisor about your account if you don't see your figures shipping around the same time as everybody else.

I'm really cheesed off at Sideshow right now, the extra week delay on Han puts his charge right on top of the ROTS Obi-Wan charge due on the 24th.

Darth Cruel
08-22-2006, 03:34 PM
It has nothing to do with email address order, they say it's in order of when you preordered it. HOWEVER, I still have not been billed for mine and I ordered at 10:14am.

I'm really cheesed off at Sideshow right now, the extra week delay on Han puts his charge right on top of the ROTS Obi-Wan charge due on the 24th.

There are some places that it is written that they are done in order of order placed. I don't remember where I saw it. But I actually called them and asked them and they didn't tell me where they pick the next one to be processed from, but they told me that it was completely random.

The reason I called to find out is because there has been no rhyme or reason to how mine are delivered. I get exclusive and regular of each and I have had the exclusive make it to me seemingly before most other people got their's and then I have also had to call about an exclusive weeks after I got the regular (which I didn't nor couldn't order before the exclusive).

Turbowars
08-22-2006, 05:52 PM
It has nothing to do with email address order, they say it's in order of when you preordered it. Mine says "Item Shipping Soon", I still have not received billing for mine yet I ordered at 10:14am, so their system is a tad screwy. But you always seem to have more trouble with their orders than anybody else before it even gets to the credit card stage (if it was at the credit card stage when there was a problem, that'd tell us that it was related to your name, address, card number, personal data like that, but it's not), I really think you should talk to a supervisor about your account if you don't see your figures shipping around the same time as everybody else.

Well I just talked to them and they said it will ship in about 2 days. The card went though and it's ready to go. They said that they have are benind and there wasn't a problem will my info.

Darth Cruel
08-22-2006, 06:19 PM
UPS' tracking page shows Han to be on the truck for delivery to my house as I compose this post. I should have him by the time I get home from work at 4:00 this afternoon.

And so it came to pass. I found what is now a very distinguishable box at my front door as I got home a little while ago.

Edit...I just noticed that SSG's clock is srewy. I posted this at 4:09 and the time stamp said 3:19.

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah, the SSG forums clock has been an hour off for a month or more, and is slowly speeding up like it always does. I set my time to an earlier time zone and now it's only 10 mins off. :p

Anyway, I just got an email from UPS saying my Han is in their system... wouldn't it have been great if Sideshow had emailed me first telling me they charged me? :rolleyes:

Glad to hear everything is ok with your order so far Turbo, hopefully it turns out ok.

JediTricks
08-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, I got Han yesterday, and I'm still a little conflicted about this one. The likeness does capture Han better than any other US 12" figure, but it's still off and kinda fat in the lower face (not as bad as the proto, but still noticable like he's getting over the mumps) - I hate when they put a picture of the actor on the box next to their dubious sculpting job - I would buy this sculpt more as Han from ROTJ, after he put on a little more weight and age, and his eyes sunk in a little (the ESB eyes aren't as deeply set as this); this is a sculpt that looks better in profile and from odd angles, I wish it looked better from the front though. Also, the paint for the eyebrows and hair is not to my liking, the hair is too dark while the eyebrows are too thick and unsubtle; at least his lip paint isn't like Anakin's.

Another issue, the head seems too big while the body seems too small, not as bad as Hasbro's tapered designs but still it feels like it's a problem. The arms are too long on the body, they go down halfway to his knees, it's only noticable in relaxed poses but it is noticable. The joints on mine aren't as loose as Anakin, that's good. He doesn't come with extra hands, so hope you like the open left hand and gun-grip right. :ermm: I'm really not digging how thin his arms are, it looks weird, and it doesn't help that the jacket is very tight on them. And the body still has those ridiculously small, wimpy wrist pegs - SSC needs to redesign this element STAT!

The jacket is another issue, it's blue instead of black - this may be accurate to the actual costume, but only because a lot of filmmakers use dark purple or blue to convey black in the camera because true black's details get too easily lost (the '89 and '05 Batmobiles are like this, for example). Also, the jacket is a bit too short, and they did a cheap job with the pockets. Finally, the gunbelt is nice but seems a tiny bit too tight,and the strap that holds the gun in place pegs onto a peg that's hard to work with because it's loose.

All that said, there is plenty to like about this figure, it looks good holding the gun and he can even hold it 2-handed (probably why his left hand is so open), the gun is amazing quality, the gunbelt is nifty piece of work with the handful of little dealies it really has and the holster and the cool buckle designs, the droid caller while plain fits onto the belt nicely thanks to the belt's clip being rubbery, the double-breasted tunic has a wire in the top portion so it can be folded over, and the breather mask looks good (the figure actually looks better with the mask on as it's covering up the mumps-mouth) and has a clip on the canister part to hold it on the jacket.

Jayspawn
08-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Awesome review JT. Mine should be arriving soon -cant wait to get it.

Agreed about the heavy face build. Its an incredible likenss but his face is a little heavy-set. Han's jacket in ESB was blue. Its often mistaken for black (hence the POTF2 Bespin Han action figure) because of the darkly lit Hoth, space, and Bespin scenes.

I would like it if Sideshow beefed up some of the skinny-wrists. I hate those!

JediTricks
08-24-2006, 06:17 PM
It's not really a review since I haven't decided what kind of grade I'd give it, but thanks.

I'm not buying his jacket being blue in ESB either, even on DVD it's black. :p

So there's 2 arm problems, arms are too skinny and wrists are problematic, seems to me now is the time for them to get started on a new base body.

Turbowars
08-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Got Han today and tore him out. I have to say I really like him. Why is it that SSC figures look better in person? Anyways, his belt is awesome, love the detail. His Black belt loop came off. I figured it would when I saw I had to slide the belt a bit to center it. I think after a Water treatment he will look better. Anyone that has an issue about the face can display him with the Air mask. It look very cool with it on. To me he's so much more interesting than the Jedi. I'm pretty sure Mace will disappoint, but I still would like him. I will try to pull it off, but there's just too much stuff with not enough funds. OBi is a must.

JediTricks
08-25-2006, 02:25 AM
You mean the little tiny black loop that holds the excess regular belt in place? How did that come off?

Turbowars
08-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Yeah that's the one. It just kind of fell off when I gave the belt a tug. Apparently It was barely glued in place.

JediTricks
08-25-2006, 02:01 PM
That's weird, I thought it looped around the actual belt and was a solid piece, oh what a fool I've been! :p On mine, I've had to readjust the belt twice (it gets out of alignment from handling and putting the gunbelt on just under it), and so far no probs; gonna ask SSC for a replacement? It's not like it's an exciting part after all, they have no reason to not believe you.

Darth Cruel
08-25-2006, 03:43 PM
I got a replacement Jedi Luke Exclusive for minor things like this...of course there were a few minor things like this...

Tycho
08-25-2006, 09:46 PM
I got mine and I'm afraid I'll have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Mind you: I do not regret I bought Han at all. I just don't think he's worth the $66 I paid after tax, s&h. He's much better than Hasbro's though.

The best thing was the Mynock from the SSE version. That's a big and nice piece and is going on my refrigerator! Next, Han has pockets in his pants. That's an unexpected detail that's pretty cool if you ask me.

Now for the bad:

- his jacket is too small and fits too tight. I do like the blue however. I'm "Kennerized" on that one.

- mine has a chip in the paint app to his hair on one side. It's very minor, but for his price, I expected perfection.

- Harrison does look older the way they've represented him. Is this supposed to be Han Solo with Mid-Life Crisis action?

- Han looks too skinny. Perhaps it's because his clothes are too tight. He's standing next to my in-action posed SS Anakin right now, but if it's the same body, for some reason Anakin looks much better.

-Oh and though it easily snapped back on, Han's left hand fell off right away when I tried posing him. Cheap...

I've opened the figure but I haven't accessorized him yet - the gun and holster gear etc are still in the package. I may not be keeping Han out of the box for a while so I didn't see the point of opening all that stuff. I want a Bespin Gown Leia to go with him - and that has never happened yet.

Turbowars
08-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I got mine and I'm afraid I'll have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Mind you: I do not regret I bought Han at all. I just don't think he's worth the $66 I paid after tax, s&h. He's much better than Hasbro's though.

The best thing was the Mynock from the SSE version. That's a big and nice piece and is going on my refrigerator! Next, Han has pockets in his pants. That's an unexpected detail that's pretty cool if you ask me.

Now for the bad:

- his jacket is too small and fits too tight. I do like the blue however. I'm "Kennerized" on that one.

- mine has a chip in the paint app to his hair on one side. It's very minor, but for his price, I expected perfection.

- Harrison does look older the way they've represented him. Is this supposed to be Han Solo with Mid-Life Crisis action?

- Han looks too skinny. Perhaps it's because his clothes are too tight. He's standing next to my in-action posed SS Anakin right now, but if it's the same body, for some reason Anakin looks much better.

-Oh and though it easily snapped back on, Han's left hand fell off right away when I tried posing him. Cheap...

I've opened the figure but I haven't accessorized him yet - the gun and holster gear etc are still in the package. I may not be keeping Han out of the box for a while so I didn't see the point of opening all that stuff. I want a Bespin Gown Leia to go with him - and that has never happened yet.
You really need to put the belt on and play around with the outfit. He looks much better all made up.

JT, I can fix the belt. Doing it myself is much easier than dealing with all the BS that goes along with returning it.

Darth Cruel
08-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Ater what happened with my Jedi Luke. I will return a figure for the smallest quality gaff.

maatu
08-27-2006, 11:42 AM
i have not got mine yet. i love all this. It actually gives an idea of what iam suppose to get .so iam not so let down. well actually the only company to have got harrison fords likeness correct is a company shown at comic con kaching brands, there just waiting approval to make indiana jones and han solo storm trooper.

Turbowars
08-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Ater what happened with my Jedi Luke. I will return a figure for the smallest quality gaff.I guess you like headaches then. I will only return a figure if it is broken and I can't fix it. I'm not going to set myself up for a lost package.

AmanaMatt
08-28-2006, 07:50 PM
I rec my Han today - the SS website still shows as 'Items shipping soon' so not too accurate.

Out of the 5 or so now, two have arrived in mint condition - this one had dinged up boxes, so anything nonmint goes back or SS sends me a new box - Aimee has been cool, but we'll see for how long. I am always willing to send photpgraphic proof, but they are cool.

The pic on the box of Han is painful - way worse than the actual product - how many of you regret not getting the exclusive version?

decadentdave
08-29-2006, 02:14 PM
My Han arrived in a mint condition box and the paint aps were perfect, not a scratch, however I must agree with Tycho's assessment as well. The jacket is too tight which makes posing his arms a little strenuous. The waistline is too small and this also annoyed me on the X-Files Walter Skinner figure. The problem is the body they use has no "butt" on it. These guys deserve a little more meat in the thigh and cheeks. The belt was a little difficult to fasten but it looks like the leather strap could easily come unglued from the buckle. The head sculpt isn't the best interpretation of Ford. The eyebrows are too "bushy" and the facial sculpt is too round. Mat Falls isn't my favorite sculptor at SS. I think Oluf Hartvigson and Andy Bergholtz do a much better job on facial sculpts, just take a look at the Premium Format figures. I know it's being nitpicky but for $65 I expect near-perfection and when it comes to Harrison Ford, I am even more picky about detail and accuracy. At least I can finally get rid of my embarrassing Hasbro 12" that looks like he's retarded. I'll probably end up donating that one to Goodwill.

BTW - Maatu, that Indiana Jones and Han Trooper from Kaching Brands that were on display at Comic Con were custom one-offs only and were designed to attract business to showcase their company's talent. They will not be producing these to the mass market. I read this on the Indyfan site so it's a bit of a disappointment as I thought their likeness of Ford as Indy was superior to Toys McCoy's.

maatu
08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
i got mine today. i was really impressed .... besides the jacket looking like it stayed in the dryer to long. the figure is alsome.

plasticfetish
08-30-2006, 05:23 AM
Sideshow Exclusive Han turned up on my doorstep today. Here are my initial thoughts after having opened it up just a while ago.

First of all, my box was slightly dented at the bottom corners. Sideshow needs to reevaluate how they're shipping these things.

I like the head sculpt. It isn't perfectly accurate, but it's a very good caricature. That's the best way to approach these head sculpts as far as I'm concerned, especially for characters as iconic and nearly impossible to nail as Han Solo. (Let's face it, Harrison Ford has a cartoonish looking face. It's what makes him great, but he is a little odd looking... in a good way.) The paint turned out better than I thought it would, and like the Anakin figure, it all seems to work in spite of not being spot on perfect.

I hadn't intended to open this thing up at this point, but the clothing was on so poorly, (and as a boxed display piece it looked terrible), so I broke the tape to make some adjustments before I packed him back up. I don't like the weird plastic halo that they have around his head -- if you're gonna keep him packaged, it looks bad. The stand that's jammed in between and behind Han's legs doesn't fit very well or securely. If you're going to charge $55+ for a 12-inch figure, then everything should look perfect behind the bubble.

I noticed that Han's jacket was very crooked, and that his belt was twisted around to where the buckle was nearly on the side, so I removed him to adjust his clothes a bit. (bye bye MISB bye bye.) The Mynock (why I made sure that I'd be at my computer at the right time six months ago, and why I popped for the extra $5) is great. Han's clothing on the other hand is not great. As a matter of fact, the quality that I expect from Sideshow is not there. The jacket is a mixed up mess with uneven seams and edges. The pockets are crazy, and the whole thing is too tight. It doesn't help that the shirt underneath isn't adjusted properly either, making the jacket's fit even worse. When I pulled Han free, I noticed that the snap on the back of his pants was undone. I figured out that the pants are too tight, which is why the snap will not stay fastened.

I pulled and pinched and forced the pants to button. I noticed that the lower button on the shirt wasn't sewn properly on my shirt (held by thread on only two corners, which is pretty half-assed as far as I'm concerned), but I decided to snap it up, tuck it in, and ignore the problem. I adjusted the belt, tried to hide a little of the excess fabric around the belt loops. Put the jacket back on, struggling to pull the shirt sleeves down through the jacket sleeves with a pair of (clean) needle nose pliers. I fluffed and folded the whole thing, making it look as nice as possible, and then packed it all back in the box for the time being until I'm ready to deal with it later.

Final thoughts... this is a nice product, and I'd never dispute the fact that Sideshow puts a great deal of thought into the design of a figure like this, but just the same, I don't come away feeling that I got something amazing for my money. To me, it feels as though I paid $50 for something that's worth $45. Now, I don't want anyone to think that's a complaint about the price of the figure -- I'll pay $50 for one of these things, but I want to open it up and think, "Wow! What an awesome little treasure." I don't want to find this thing on my doorstep, only to have my first thoughts be, "Is the box going to be dented because it isn't packed very well?"

These Star Wars figures are a little more expensive than many of Sideshow's other figures, and they should really be making an effort ($10-$15 more effort) to see that they look great when they show up. I shouldn't have to tolerate dented box corners, or pull the figure out to redress it to make it look good in the package. I recently canceled my Obi-Wan order, (largely because I couldn't handle a hit to my card for two figures so close together), and as much as I'm very disappointed with needing to do that (I wanted Obi-Wan more than any other I think), I'm honestly just a little gun-shy about these Sideshow figures now.

It's not that the idea of doing a Star Wars line is too ambitious for Sideshow, because they've shown that they can make a good (or even great) 12-inch figure, it's just that given the history of the franchise, they really need to focus on a final product that is genuinely twice as good as what's come before. At this point, I'm seeing something only a little better than the best that Hasbro (or Kenner) could do.

decadentdave
08-30-2006, 10:27 AM
To me, it feels as though I paid $50 for something that's worth $45. Now, I don't want anyone to think that's a complaint about the price of the figure --

lol PF, that is one of the most hilarious quotes I've read on these boards. Oh boy, five bucks!!!! You sprang for the extra $5 to pay for that goofy looking Mynock and in my opinion it was worth it. It gives the figure added value. I have complaints about the figure too and I thought I was being nitpicky... Yes, the jacket is too small, the waist is too small, the head sculpt isn't perfect... etc etc. In the final analysis, was it worth it? Yes. Why? Just compare it to Hasbro's and that is all I need say.

If you're going to charge $55+ for a 12-inch figure, then everything should look perfect behind the bubble.

For the $65+ I paid with shipping, the box had better not be dinged up when it arrives and I've had a few arrive that way, c'est la vie. For all you MIMB collector's, yes it's a bugger and I initially wanted to keep mine in the box (I cannot afford 2 of each) but then I realized that I'm never going to sell mine and I opened all of my Sideshow figures up (including all of the Bonds and X-Files I've had in storage for 5 years) and it was one of the happiest days of my life. It was the day I overcame my MIMB sickness and it gave me the freedom to just collect what I want and enjoy what I have and not care what the value is of these things. How can you put a dollar amount on something you enjoy and makes you feel happy? You can't. Life is too short. Enjoy it now before you're a tired old man looking back at all the fun you missed because you kept all of your MIMB toys locked away in storage somewhere.:)

plasticfetish
08-30-2006, 03:05 PM
I've gotta repeat, those are my initial feelings about the figure. Call it my first impression...

lol PF, that is one of the most hilarious quotes I've read on these boards. Oh boy, five bucks!Knew when I wrote that, that someone would say what you said... and maybe I didn't voice what I was thinking very well. My thought was less about cost and more about value. After all of the hype that this line of figures has gotten, every single one of them should be well worth the money, with no questions about whether or not these have lived up to the hype.

I suppose my point was that there are some problems with the Han figure that could (should) have been avoided if Sidehow had gone and put a little extra care into the final product. As is... like I said, it only feels like $45 worth of effort for a $50 figure.

...and, uh... my point about everything looking "perfect behind the bubble" had nothing to do with resale value, and everything to do with getting what you payed for. We payed for a top notch collectible -- something we (I) know that Sideshow is capable of, but I really feel that we got something just little "above average" instead. I expected an "A" but got a "B", which is maybe my own fault. Maybe I shouldn't expect more than a "B" from this line and just be happy with it. (Fat chance.)

I dunno. Perhaps Hasbro managed to drag everyone's standards so far down over time, that no one cares about details like properly cut and sewn clothes.

decadentdave
08-30-2006, 03:16 PM
I agree with you PF. I give it a B myself. The pants don't have the finely stitched Corellian stripes that are on the Premium Format figure. I guess that's why they are several hundred dollars and a larger scale versus a 12" "action figure" but I collect action figures not statues. I like the poseability. I was hoping they would get the Indiana Jones license but considering the Han sculpt makes me wonder how Indy will turn out. I STILL haven't taken my Toys MCoy Indy out of the box after 6 years but I'm really beginning to consider opening it up, it just looks so cool in the box along with all of his accessories. I think I'm gonna break down and open him but I was waiting to see what Sideshow could come up with first. I'm going to see Temple of Doom tonight on the big screen so I might be so excited that I'll give in. I'd love to see a 12" Mola Ram and Belloq.

plasticfetish
08-30-2006, 03:25 PM
I like the poseability.Me too, and I'm fully willing to amend my opinion later when I've had a chance to take him out again, and dress him up in all of his gear. When I get a chance to "play" with him a little more. ;)

(They've gotta end up doing Indiana Jones at some point. I'd be willing to bet on it happening.)

Tycho
09-02-2006, 05:54 AM
I've got 2 Obi-Wans coming (the SSE and regular versions) and then I'm done with SideShow for a while. Like others mentioned, ROTS Obi-Wan was the 12" I wanted the most.

I won't be ordering any more (save for Jabba) for the near future until stuff comes off my wish list:

Leia Bespin
Leia Endor
Palpatine TPM Senator
Palpatine Sith vs Jedi duel (ROTS)
Palpatine Emperor (ROTJ / Mustafar "Vader's Rescue" ROTS)
Nute Gunray
Rune Haako
Captain Panaka
Padme Black Leather (AOTC)
Padme Yellow Dress (AOTC)
Padme Senator (AOTC)
Padme Mustafar (ROTS)
Eeth Koth / Agen Kolar (one or the other)
SaeSee Tiin
Lando General (ROTJ)

You get the idea.

Jayspawn
09-04-2006, 12:37 PM
I finallly got my Bespin Han opened up and put together.

I love it! The head sculpt is much better than the SS website and box looks. I think the Premium Format Han looks better in likeness -but this one works.

His outfit looks good, well cut. The accessories are awesome but I'm a little skpetical about his gunbelt. It feels fragile -the holster seems a little tender so I'm hesitant to lock his blaster up. However the blaster is the best accessory in the set so I'll leave it in his hand. The mask is cool, I dont have much use for it. I'd still rather have it than not.

So I'm happy with it.

Turbowars
09-04-2006, 12:54 PM
I finallly got my Bespin Han opened up and put together.

I love it! The head sculpt is much better than the SS website and box looks. I think the Premium Format Han looks better in likeness -but this one works.

His outfit looks good, well cut. The accessories are awesome but I'm a little skpetical about his gunbelt. It feels fragile -the holster seems a little tender so I'm hesitant to lock his blaster up. However the blaster is the best accessory in the set so I'll leave it in his hand. The mask is cool, I dont have much use for it. I'd still rather have it than not.

So I'm happy with it.The gun and the mask are awesome. I have the mask on him now. His belt is fragile, but the loop that holds his gun will release. Just take your time. Just don't pull to much on his black belt. The loop came off mine. An easy fix, but I'd rather it didn't happen.

tagmac
09-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I put myself on the wait list, but also ordered one from entertainment Earth just in case. Well, my EE order shipped, so I should get it within a few days. Hopefully the package won't be damaged, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the figure itself looks. Once it's here, I'll be removing myself from the wait list.

Darth Cruel
09-12-2006, 09:49 PM
This is a huge disappointment. I like the figure...but now I will have to wait longer as mine has to go back. Half of the blaster pistol grip is missing from mine. I would have just crazy glued it...but it is just not there. I really like the figure, though.

JediTricks
09-13-2006, 08:55 PM
That's a really weird one! Is it possibly rattling around in the package somewhere?

Darth Cruel
09-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Yeah...it sucks to be sure. But I scrutinized the box and around where I opened it...nothing. I hope Sideshow will just send me a new gun in a swap...but we will see.

tagmac
09-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Just got mine in from EE! I agree the picture on the box looks horrid - for a second I thought "I didn't order a Tim Allen figure." :D But when I opened the box, the figure looks really great, packaged. Gonna be a little while before I actually take it out.

Tycho
09-15-2006, 05:25 PM
You're talking about Bespin Han Solo?

I actually like the picture on the box so much better than how the actual figure turned out. I wish mine looked like the packaging!

JediTricks
09-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Really Tycho? I think the pic of the head looks totally wrong on the box, it's got that fat chipmunk cheek thing going which looks lousy and very un-Han, and he doesn't even have the right eye color, it looks more like Tim Mattheson than Harrison Ford. The figure looks better than the box IMO.

Darth Cruel
09-16-2006, 07:52 PM
I like it because it looks exactly like Han. It doesn't look anything like Harrison Ford...but it looks just like Han (to me).

Tycho
09-16-2006, 10:40 PM
I thought Han looked like Harrison Ford?

- no seriously.

decadentdave
09-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Here are some pics of my Solo 2.0. Han needed some customizing right out of the box. First, the jacket was too snug and too purplish blue so I cannibalized the jacket from Hasbro's Bespin Han which, ironically, was an improvement. I dyed it in rit dye to give it a more bluish tint. Next, I painted his hair a lighter shade. The factory color was too dark so I made it a lighter shade of dark brown and drybrushed some highlights. I also applied a "wash" on his face to bring out the highlights of his features to make him look a little more like Harrison. I also painted the "broom handle" of his gun brown. I think it turned out better than the factory model. I only wish that Sideshow could be a little more critical on Quality Control when these roll off the assembly line so I wouldn't have to repaint/fix/customize them.

Tycho
09-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Looks good Dave. I'd almost wished you had before / after comparison pictures. That'd be interesting.

Anyway, you do sweet work. Good job.

decadentdave
09-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks. I'm learning. I only hope that my Obi-Wan can look something like the San Diego Obi-Wan prototype:

Tycho
09-17-2006, 12:09 AM
The Obi-Wan on the left resembles Ewan McGreggor. The one on the right reminded me of Steve Sansweet (that's not good).

JediTricks
09-17-2006, 04:09 AM
Nice custom work. I think you may want to back off the paint wash around the corners of the mouth, it's bringing back fat-face, but that's the sculpt's fault. I sorta see in those photos why SSC thinks it looks like Harrison, it does but the nose and mouth are at a later age and slightly bigger scale. Think you could do something about that pudding over his eyes they're calling eyebrows?

The jacket looks pretty good, the stitching is a bit much thanks to cheap Hasbro, and because GI Joe bodies are tapered it looks like it's too wide in the shoulders and thus his wasp waist look is intensified. Is there a lot of room in the shoulders? I may have to try this, you've inspired that one in a lot of folks I suspect.

Man, that proto-to-produ shot of Obi-Wan is a sad state of affairs, I didn't realize how much sculpted detail was lost as well as the paint. And the paint itself is a shocking change, I'm beginning to feel like we're getting Hasbroed with this line.

decadentdave
09-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah, the eyebrows are a problem. I tried painting over the ugly cross-hatched eyebrows on the factory paint so they were too thick to begin with. I think I am going to completely repaint the face with a new fleshtone base coat and then paint in thinner eyebrows. I'm still new at this so painting isn't exactly my forte but just the small changes I made was already a substantial improvement over what came out of the factory box. I was depressed when I got it and decided to do something about it rather than send it back to Sideshow because all they will do is offer a refund. They will not do anything about paint details. I really think they need to re-evaluate their production process. Their artist protypes are being used to sell the figures to customers who receive an inferior factory painted product that look almost as bad as Hasbros. Granted the sculpts are superior but the paint just as bad. That is really dubious on Sideshow's part and my faith in them just took a nosedive. Welcome to the wonderful world of do-it-yourself customizing.

Jayspawn
09-17-2006, 11:55 AM
My only real beef w/ Sideshow's Bespin Han is the sortness of the jacket. I watched Empire last night -and its definatly too short.

JediTricks
09-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Dave, sounds like a large undertaking to completely repaint the face, could be more work than necessary, perhaps you may want to start just by stripping the eyebrows of all paint then hand-painting them back in, see if that works out. I suspect repainting the whole face could end up too thick and uneven for your tastes. Either way though, good luck. :)

decadentdave
09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
I hear what you are saying, JT and I would agree with you but I just don't like the fleshtone on Sideshow's factory paint. It looks too pasty. It definitely needs more natural colors and shading. It looks too yellow, like he's got jaundice or something. I'm gonna attempt to repaint the face and then I'll do the eyebrows.

JediTricks
09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Oh, I didn't realize you had an issue with the skintone itself, that's a totally different matter, I thought you were just stripping it out of general frustration with smaller elements.

JEDIpartner
09-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I just think the face on this is WAY not even close to Harrison Ford. It looks more like Beau Bridges or something.

Tycho
11-21-2008, 03:23 PM
I decided to open Han Bespin and display him - as he's the figure I loathe the most.

The tie-down leg strap for his holster ripped right off. It was only glued, so I'll re-glue it. But it's not even looped wide enough to go over his thigh like it's supposed to. So I'll have to re-attach it to the holster, but not have Han be able to wear it. :rolleyes:

His pants are still too saggy, or his butt is too small.

His shoulders are too narrow or his jacket is too small.

The worst is that his hair sculpt and his face (somewhat) look nothing like Harrison Ford - or even nothing like the picture of the product on SideShow's box.

I thought that maybe 2 years or more later I would give this figure some slack. It's not going to happen.

I'm also afraid to put Han's gun in his holster, as I fear that might rip or become un-glued.

The exclusive came with the Mynock, which was the only good part of getting this figure for me.

2.5 years later - still unhappy with Han.

BlueSnags
11-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Hence the name "Baby Jacket Han" was born.

-Snags

jedibear
11-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Sometimes it's fun reading through these older threads and seeing what people's views on some of the older figures were...

I still like this figure...but yes, the outfit's too tight and the jacket's too small and the hair's too dark. But slap the mask on him and strike an appropriate action pose with him and he's pretty cool...

Out of the two versions of han that Sideshow has presented thus far, i like the ANH version better. I'm still hoping Sideshow renders a ESB Hoth version of him someday...

Meanwhile, here he is hunting Mynocks...

AmanaMatt
11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Bespin Han is pretty terrible....I hope they redo this one some time...it deserves to be redone...

Tycho
11-23-2008, 01:59 AM
Notice how in JediBear's pictures, the figures always look good? (Good job JediBear!)

But that's it. I'm going to have JediBear place my SideShow figure orders for me from now on. They send him better figures. That has to be it!

SideShow already knows I order my figures while on drugs (Aayla Secura ;) ). So they must figure I won't notice if they send me the worst out of every batch!

JediTricks
11-23-2008, 05:22 AM
IMO, this figure will be the benchmark for suck in the SSC line hopefully for a long time to come.

Jayspawn
11-26-2008, 01:07 PM
If the jacket were a bit bigger the whole figure would be so much better. The likeness is a tad off too.

They seem to be getting better likeness on sculpts though. The Captain Antilles sculpt looks just like Peter Geddis.