PDA

View Full Version : What are the most accurate versions of the OT's main characters?

WhereIsTheDefel
02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm still getting started on collecting and I wanted to know your opinions on which are the most accurate versions of the major characters of the OT (the figures with a sculpt and coloring scheme closest to how the character actually appeared in the films).

I'm particularly interested in Vader, C-3PO and Chewbacca, but I would love to hear your opinions on any of the major characters. Thanks!

El Chuxter
02-03-2006, 03:09 PM
There's a lot of argument on some of these characters, but I think most everyone agrees that the ROTS C-3PO is the best.

The ROTS Royal Guard is easily the best Royal Guard by miles and miles.

VOTC Stormtrooper is the best Stormie, though the CommTech version isn't too far behind.

For Vader, I'd go with the Evolutions figure.

VOTC Lando is best, though the POTJ version is a really close second.

I still like the oft-reissued Cantina Han Solo.

I've not opened a lot of the figures I've picked up in the past year, since I'm running short on space, so I'm not able to give a well-informed opinion on most others.

JediTricks
02-03-2006, 03:35 PM
If you don't mind that ROTS C-3PO doesn't have his silver leg, that's the most accurate figure.

I suppose VOTC Chewie is the best version of the character. The best Basic version is Saga Chewie Cloud City ('02/38), this figure is often overlooked and does have permanently-bent elbows, but his look is top-notch.

IMO, there's still no definitive Luke figure, there are a few "least bad" ones but they still have yet to get it totally right.

I think POTJ Bespin Leia is the best version, but the VOTC is a close second (the face takes a while to grow on you).

Cantina Han is good, but POTJ Bespin Han is a little better IMO. There is something to be said for VOTC Han, but his likeness is cartoony in my book.

Ben Kenobi... well, I don't know of any I really love, the VOTC has a lot of issues, but his facial sculpt is "the most accurate".

El Chuxter
02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I totally forgot that Bespin Han. Yeah, he's a good deal better than Cantina Han.

JEDIpartner
02-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I still say Threepio ROTS is the best. We just need a version with the silver leg.

Han VOTC is the best Han.

Early Bird Chewie/VOTC Chewie is the best Chewie.

Evolutions Vader is the best Vader... even if he doesn't have the OT look about him. I really don't give a toss.

VOTC/Saga2 Artoo is the best Artoo.

There still isn't a Luke that completely pleases me but OTC Jedi Luke is pretty good, facially.

I thought Saga Lando, despite the limited articulation, was the best Lando.

JediTricks
02-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Saga Lando? You mean Lando General? Or are you thinking of POTJ Lando? POTJ Lando is my choice over the VOTC one, though the Saga Skiff Lando is pretty decent too it's likely not "main character" enough since it's a disguise outfit.

For dome shape, Episode I R2 is the most accurate, but he's got those jets and just isn't everybody's cup of tea. I haven't been all that happy with any of the R2-D2s, the chrome on the VOTC/Early Bird/TSC Hoth versions are all kinda meh, and the body colors don't look right at all. In my opinion, R2 is second only to Luke in terms of inaccurate figures.

There's really no good OT Emperor figure, the Saga version has some good sculpting but the hood design and the super-long arms kill it.

Devo
02-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Ooh I love these threads!!

Well, I'm not sure about accuracy to be honest as I've never actually took a figure in hand and compared it with the film. Mostly I compare the figure with previous attempts by Hasbro and see how much more realistic and detailed the new one is. And the faces of the actors are ingrained in our minds so anyone can tell right away if its a good facial likeness without having to refer to the films.

Chewbacca - VOTC/Walmart Early bird/POTJ 25th Anniversary 2 pack - the first 2 offer Chewie with his split fringe and slicked back fringe respectively. He's in proportion to the other figures and his articulation is as good as one could reasonably expect - it fits in well with how they sculpted his hair and still provides tonnes of movement. (if you were to go for the early bird set you'd also be getting pretty good Leia and R2 figures, not so much the Luke figure though) The 25 anniversary Chewie is a superb preposed figure with my favourite facial likeness. He looks like he came right off the screen when posed with a stormtrooper's long blaster rifle.

C-3P0 - ROTS/POTF2 Detachable limbs&cargo net/POTF2 Purchase of droids - Best facial likeness goes to the ROTS figure. He's very gold and very clean so he'd work well with a very white and very clean R2 figure. The Detachable limbs 3PO has an excellent, if slightly overdone, rust effect. Stick him in the cargo net on a VOTC Chewbacca's back and you've got something really cool looking, direct from Empire Strikes Back. The Purchase of the droids figure is a good Tatooine 3PO - he has a bit of wear&tear but not too much and I think he has the restraining bolt on.

Vader - Evolutions/500th figure meditation Chamber/Saga Bespin duel/POTF2 commtech/OTC-34 Death star - we're spoilt for choice with Darth Vader. I like Evolutions as an all-purpose Vader but you'll be getting 2 PT figures if you buy this. Bespin duel is a good scene specific figure from Empire Strikes Back - it has an action feature but its fairly unintrusive. Commtech has a classic Vader pose with hands on belt (or at least looking like they are). The OTC one is worth it for the packaging alone. The figure itself has a good lightsaber pose.

Han Solo - POTF2 commtech/POTJ Bespin capture get both of these. one for ANH and one for ESB. Theres no great ROTJ Han just yet. VOTC Han (based on ANH) is good but I'm not fond of the head - I think the hair is too short and too dark and the likeness is better on the 2 figures I do recommend

Luke - Saga or OTC-06 Jabba's palace/saga or OTC-26 Bespin duel - The jabba's palace one has the best facial likeness even if it isn't perfect. I really think it will never get better though, not in this scale. The bespin figure is a hugely important Luke outfit and I'm hoping it gets done again by Hasbro but until then this is the best. Sadly there is still no Death star II duel Luke from ROTJ which is even remotely adequate.

Leia - POTJ Bespin escape/VOTC/Walmart Early Bird/OTC-33 slave outfit - The Bespin escape figure has only one flaw - her arms are pretty much in a fixed gun holding position - but she looks cool and the likeness is the best in this scale. Get this figure. I'm very fond of VOTC Leia despite her long neck and not particularly good likeness. The articulation works quite well. The Walmart one is good for Leia when she's on the Blockade Runner as she's got her hood up. It seems an imperative that you have a gold bikini Leia in your collection (unless you happen to be a woman) and this is as good as we've got so far.

Lando - POTJ Bespin Escape/Saga or OTC-32 skiff disguise - I personally thing the POTJ Lando is better than the VOTC figure. He has a fixed gun holding pose but he works very well with the Bespin Leia figure and also the Chewie/3PO combo I mentioned earlier. The Skiff figure is a recogniseable ROTJ outfit, very detailed and the likeness isn't bad.

R2 - POTF2 Commtech/Saga Jabba's palace/TSC Hoth/OTC-04 Dagobah The Dagobah one is very planetary specific (covered in mud) but if you're into that this one is done brilliantly - Sound effects as well. Commtech is a good Tatooine R2 - hes got a restraining bolt, a bit of wear&tear, his 3 legs work well and theres a nifty Holographic Leia accessory. The latest Hoth one has drawn some complaints because of the chrome dome - it may not be accurate but I like it. The rest of the paint job is nice and I love those accessories - they're good for the Dagobah scenes.

WhereIsTheDefel
02-04-2006, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the input, everybody!

By the way, did C-3PO have a silver leg throughout the OT or were both legs gold by the time of ROTJ?

Do most people here not really like the VOTC Vader? It does seem like the helmet is a bit off on that figure.

Slicker
02-04-2006, 05:36 AM
By the way, did C-3PO have a silver leg throughout the OT or were both legs gold by the time of ROTJ?Both legs were silver in ROTJ as well.

Devo
02-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the input, everybody!

By the way, did C-3PO have a silver leg throughout the OT or were both legs gold by the time of ROTJ?

Do most people here not really like the VOTC Vader? It does seem like the helmet is a bit off on that figure.

I think it is. It might be the face or the dome part of the helmet sticks up too much or something...or both. The VOTC is good for the Emperor's arrival scene in Jedi - you can kneel him (aided by a stand) and bow his head. I have mine permanently in this position with the cape glued over the ball-joint which is otherwise exposed when the head is bowed. For helmets my faves are Evolutions, 500th Vader and commtech/OTC-Death star (which I think utilise the same head sculpt). Evo and 500th have bulkier domes - I'm not sure if this is more accurate but I think it looks better.

Oh and for the stormtrooper its VOTC hands down. Though I imagine this one would be hard to find at a reasonable price right now. The commtech/OTC one is anorexic and hasn't got much of any poseability, certainly no decent gun firing positions - though its the one you'd discover is easier to find.

For OT emperor figures I suppose you'd have to get the POTF2 one from '97. The Saga figure is a rarity - a resculpt that is worse than the original.

Y'know if theres something this thread has highlighted for me it is the lack of any definitive Luke figures from any film and the over-focusing on ANH for Han Solo:

ANH - all tatooine Luke figures - the best is probably commtech. However these are all too tall. The Walmart one was totally crap. Whoever thought it was a good idea to give him that stupid 2-in-1 arm/lightsaber needs to be sacked, never to work in the toy industry again. Likewise for the repeat offence of giving Luke a chipmunk face - enough with the exposed teeth on Luke figures! It looks brutal.

- X-wing Luke - POTJ/OTC is the best but he pales in comparison to how they do pilot figures now. He's got a really feminine pose and of course this is the original sin - the original chipmunk face.

- stormtrooper Luke - Saga death star trash compactor is the more realistic sculpt but its totally scene specific. We must demand a new one with a VOTC stormtrooper body

- Luke ceremonial - heres hoping the one from the 06 Yavin wave, if indeed it is no mere rumour, is a resculpt and in proper proportion to the other characters.

ESB - Hoth Luke - POTF2 wasn't bad but is a bit outdated now. Saga is nicely detailed but its too tall and I don't like the lack of elbow articulation which means his 'reaching for sabre' arm is too rigid when held by his side. Also his face is permanently post-wampa attack.

- snowspeeder luke - the figure that came with the POTJ snowspeeder is best as it has the high collar. But the whole figure could be done much better now.

- Dagobah Luke - I guess the OTC one is alright. The head is a bit iffy but I've just come to accept that they're never going to get Mark Hamill right.

- Bespin Luke - POTF2 isn't bad for a neutral pose but he's far too tall. Saga/OTC can't do neutral but are good for the duel. Heres hoping Hasbro have an SA (minus ball-joint neck) Bespin Luke on their to-do list.

- still no Pyjama Luke...ever

ROTJ- Saga/OTC Jabbas palace - not a bad figure but I really would like one who can hold sabre in two hands in attacking and defensive positions.

- Endor poncho - I think this is rumoured for this year, some kind of kitbash though. We'll see how it turns out

- DSII duel - :cry: nothing. The one from the POTF2 cinema scene is the best but that isn't saying much. The Saga one doesn't bear thinking about.

ANH - Han solo - we've got commtech, VOTC, POTJ death star escape. The commtech has had numerous rereleases. Decent figures

Han Stormtrooper - Saga trash compactor is good but scene specific. As with Luke we must demand a new one.

ESB - Han Hoth - the Saga one is good for the outdoor Hoth scenes only. We still need an echo base one, with hood down and neutral pose.

- Bespin Han - his primary outfit in the film and we have only one figure worth mentioning - POTJ Bespin capture - Versus the 3 ANH sculpts.

ROTJ - Carbonite Han - the latest TSC one is acceptable if unexceptional and cursed with a neanderthal stare and balljoint neck

- regular Han/brown pants - Saga Endor raid - pegwarmed for quite some time. This figure is OK if too scene-specific and blighted by an action feature. Could do with an SA sculpt (again minus balljoint neck)

- endor trenchcoat - I think this is another one rumoured this year. Remains to be seen if its a new sculpt. If its a cloth coat they could kill two birds with one stone by making him SA underneath. Doubt it though.

mikey1974
02-04-2006, 01:31 PM
my favs:

Luke: the OTC jabba's palace luke....has decent articulation and a good likeness...

Han: VOTC version....sam points as above...

Leia:i like the POTJ version that cam out,the alliance outfit from the end of ROTJ...got an old camo-poncho from the speeder bike version,put it on her,and it looks great.....

Chewie: VOTC all the way.....

Kenobi: flashback one from POTF.....

Vader: Evolutions....

Threepio: i like the ROTS one the best...

Artoo: VOTC....

Stormtrooper: VOTC

Lando: the OTC general version....

Yoda: VOTC...

jedibear
02-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Great thread!

I'm kinda in line with alot of the other opinions...here goes:

Luke The Saga Jedi Luke, the POTF2 Bespin Luke
The Saga Jedi Luke has a decent, correctly proportioned sculpt and good articulation for a variety of poses. The old POTF2 Bespin Luke may be a little bulky in the body-sculpt department, but it still looks good...better than the subsequent versions.

Princess Leia POTF2 Slave Leia, POTJ Bespin Leia
The old POTF2 Slave Leia is a semtimental favorite for me...here was a version of the Princess we had been waiting for...it looks great and it actually still holds up as a good figure. I didn't care for the Saga reissue ...that cloth just didnn't work. The Bespin (Red Dress) version feature a good sculpt and decent scale...and looks great posed with that Bespin Capture Han.

Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi "Flashback" figure, POTJ version
I liked this "hood-up" version of the character cast in one of his iconic poses from ANH. The POTJ "robe-less" version has an excellent likeness.

Darth Vader POTF2 "Removable Helmet", VOTC
That POTF2 version is another old favorite while not perfect, presented a well-posed (if little too beefy) version with a great feature that was often repeated with subsequent versions but without the panche' of that first release.
VOTC gets a good scale and good sculpt...only niggles are that blinding silver string holding on the cape and a helmet that won't stay on.

Han Solo VOTC Han, POTJ Bespin Capture Han
The VOTC version is just about perfect in my book (sorry JT..that head sculpt looks just fine) and it's got the best unobtrusive articulation seen on a standard "human" (ie: no armor) figure. Bespin Capture gets it right too.

Chewbacca VOTC, 25th Anniversary
VOTC strikes again with the best rendition of this character (which made the cartoony huge step backward featured in the ROTS line even more bewildering). Great sculpt, great scale...only niggle is that clunkey bowcaster...how about making it thinner and adding a fabric strap next time Hasbro? The 25th Anniversary one may be little more than a statue, but it looks great and has a fantastic, fun action pose & good likeness compared to most other versions.

C-3PO ROTS version, "Purchase of the Droids" version
I agree that getting a "classic"(ie: silver leg) version of Goldenrod based on the superior ROTS version would be great. The POTD version features an apt dirty deco job that looks good.

R2D2 VOTC, Saga "Dagobah" version
VOTC with it's good sculpt and decent (if not cast a bit too thick) appendages is one of the better representations of the astromech. They still haven't given us a really great dome though. The cool muddy deco version is a great scene-specific figure of R2.

Lando Calrissian VOTC, Saga "Skiff Guard Disguise"
VOTC keeps it up with a properly proportioned and detailed version of our favorite gambling scoundrel. However, it's the Saga Skiff Guard version that is the best rendition of this character...

That's my take....

DARKLORD_67
02-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Everyone!!

THIS is a GREAT topic for a thread, and here are my two cents!

Before I give my BEST figure picks, I will say that those of you that know ME, know that I will be UNABLE to respond to something like this WITHOUT bringing in my sensibility as an action figure customizer into it. So my sincerest (advance) apologies.

Also, I want to re-emphasize that despite some of the colorful language that I may use during my discourse, I actually LOVE and respect most of the work that Hasbro has done with the STAR WARS licence. I wish them MANY, MANY years of continued success.

Now without further ado, here are my picks for Best Versions of Main OT Characters:

1) C-3P0: For the longest time, I was quite happy with the POTF II Millennium Minted C-3PO (he even had a silver leg!!). I still think it’s a GREAT figure with some GREAT detail. However, he WAS a bit wide-stanced, which always bugged me seeing as this character was essentially a stiff droid “butler”. Plus, when scaled to the other characters, he was actually too tall. Threepio is really not supposed to be very tall at all. Remember when Han covered his mouth in ESB? Solo was REALLY looking down on him…

Anyhow, along came ROTS C-3PO. There’s a great figure in a great neutral pose that really fits the character!! And his height is PERFECT. The silver leg would have been nice. I’m not too thrilled that all his limbs are removable (he won’t sit in Luke’s Landspeeder without coming apart!) And his surface details are a bit “soft” when compared to the crisper details on Millennium Threepio. But he gets my vote as the best (most accurate) C-3P0… so far.

2) GRAND MOFF WILHUFF TARKIN: Yikes!!! We’ve had two versions of this character so far. But I can’t really consider the ROTS version, because it’s a younger version of the man, and the uniform is wrong when considering the OT. So that leaves us with just the hulking, pea- headed POTF II version (ugghhh!). Man did I HATE that figure when it first came out!!

Funny thing about the POTF II Tarkin, though: I quickly realized that my issue with the figure was definitely limited to the pinchy-waisted body sculpt. The amused arrogance in the face sculpt is actually quite strong, and I like it a lot.

So… What’s my vote for best (most accurate) Grand Moff Tarkin? Sorry, guys, but I gotta cheat here and go with a kit-bash (if Hasbro ever creates it): I’ll go with POTF II Tarkin (head sculpt only) on an Admiral Ozzel body. I tried it myself some time ago:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/GrandMoffTarkin.jpg

3) HAN SOLO: Corellian Starpilot: So far, I’m not 100% happy with ANY OT Han Solo that’s been produced. I don’t really acknowledge any Han Solo’s before the POTJ line, so my vote for best Harrison Ford (Han Solo) face sculpt goes to POTJ Death Star Escape Han Solo. I just love that crooked grin, the intensity in the eyes and the flawless paint work (which we have not really seen since). The rest of the figure is fine, but I just don’t care for scene-specific posing. I don’t care for Comm Tech Han or VOTC Han, because both are kinda overly-thin and flimsy. I’m still waiting for ANH Han Solo that I actually like.

HAN SOLO: Bespin Outfit: Of course, the POTJ “Bespin Capture” Han Solo was great, but he was pre-posed and I just don’t care for that stuff (even his jacket is pre-posed). I actually like the stance and general shape (believe it or not) of the Vintage Kenner Han Solo Bespin Outfit (especially the jacket sculpt). My feeling is that a figure like that with a “modern” treatment (separate gun belt and holster, better paint, etc) would be outrageous!! When I gave it a go as my own custom figure, using my favorite parts, I was pretty satisfied:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/HanSoloBespinOutfit.jpg

4) CHEWBACCA: It’s hard to top the Super Articulated VOTC Chewie. So he gets my vote for best (most accurate). But I LOVE the head sculpt of Cloud City Capture Chewbacca from Saga I as well. I am currently finishing up a custom figure that combines these two…

5) PRINCESS LEIA ORGANA: For me, hands down, NO OTHER LEIA beats VOTC Leia. But I dislike her face sculpt and her ball jointed neck. To me the best Leia head sculpt was found on the POTJ 25th Anniversarry Swing to Freedom set. So, once again, my vote for best (most accurate) Princess Leia goes to a kit-bash (if Hasbro is ever interested in creating it): VOTC Leia (body) with a POTJ 25th Anniversarry STF (head sculpt). I created a custom action figure of her last year using that recipe, and she looks like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/PrincessLeiaOrgana.jpg

6) LUKE SKYWALKER: Tatooine Farmboy: I thought Hasbro came pretty close to a perfect Tatooine Luke when I saw the early photos of the VOTC Luke. Sadly, the production figure disappointed a bit. (Ill-fitting cloth shirt, legs too short, face sculpt not quite there) Still, I don’t think they’ve come up with a better one yet. My vote for a best (most accurate) Luke Skywalker would probably go to another kit-bash. I suggest the POTJ 25th Anniversarry Swing To Freedon Luke Head Sculpt (ball-jointed) on a VOTC Luke body (with a properly tailored farmboy shirt for a better fit), and the slightly longer legs from a Saga Landspeeder Luke. When I tried that combo, I came up with this guy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/LukeSkywalkerTato11F68B.jpg

7) R2-D2: My vote for best (most accurate) R2-D2 goes to the ROTS electronic beeping R2!! I know his third leg does not retract, and his dome does not turn (a shame) but at least it’s NOT chrome. And he’s just so darn cute.

8) DARTH VADER: Dark Lord of the Sith I know everyone is in love with the (admittedly) excellent Evolutions Vader figure. But he just doesn’t quite do it for ME… especially NOT when considering the best (most accurate) action figure version of the OT character. While I LOVE the bending knees, I think his legs are too wide-stanced. Vader simply does NOT stand this way. Also, the soft-goods are poorly executed and of bad quality. The mask / helmet sculpt is STILL not right, and the overall figure looks more like ROTS Vader than the Dark lord from the OT.

My vote for best (most accurate) Darth Vader Action Figure would have to be a kit-bash of several of Kenner/ Hasbro’s previous offerings: I suggest: The head of a Kenner vintage Lobot slightly re-sculpted to be disfigured Anakin. The torso of POTJ Dagobah Darth Vader. A pair of nice neutral straight arms and legs like on the POTJ "Masters of the Dark Side" Vader, and a FULL soft goods robe and outer cape made from the superior black fabric found on Comm Tech chip Darth Vader. A nice, 3-stage mask-and helmet combo (OT-styled sculpt) would be nice. Here is my attempt at all this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/Impressive.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/DarthVaderrevealed.jpg

9) IMPERIAL STORMTROOPER: My vote for best (most accurate) must go to the VOTC Stormie just on the strength of his excellent articulation. But Comm Tech Stormie for me is only a hair behind. I actually prefer the height of Comm Tech Stormtrooper. I love how beautifully they mix together without contradictions.

10) BEN OBI-WAN KENOBI: According to the early advanced photos, it looked as though Hasbro might actually come up with something pretty accurate for the VOTC Kenobi. They re-used the excellent soft-goods Jedi robe from SAGA Episode II Pilot Obi-Wan, AND they made his skirt soft-goods (which allowed for better mobility of his legs). But then the actual production figure was released… and my heart sank. It looked to me like old Obi-Wan had gone anorexic!

My vote for best (most accurate) Kenobi? How about the POTJ Jedi Training (old) Ben Kenobi (great face sculpt) combined with a soft-goods jedi robe (from Episode II pilot Obi) and a nice soft goods skirt (with neutral, articulated LEGS underneath). Here is my own custom version:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/BenObi-WanKenobi.jpg

11) BOBA FETT: Best (most accurate) version so far is the VOTC Fett. Although he is a bit short, his upper body is a tad bulky, AND I would have liked to have seen the ESB costume colors.

12) THE EMPEROR: Sadly, the POTF II “salt-shaker” is still the overall most accurate figure of this character. However the SAGA Throne Room Emperor had a much better face sculpt (even though he TOO was a “salt-shaker”).

I got to thinking that if SAGA Emperor’s head sculpt were placed on top of an actual articulated body and then covered smartly with the cloth (sith) robes of, say, a Darth Maul, that it might make the most accurate Emperor. So I tried it myself with a custom figure:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/TheEmperorPalpatine.jpg

Devo
02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Excellent customs DARKLORD - particularly Obi-wan and Han - I'd never seen those before. And you photograph them well. How did you get Obi-wans robes to hang so naturally? And from where did you get the softgoods for the skirt - another figure? And you're right about that POTJ Han head sculpt. Unfortunately I don't have that figure. The other one I've agreed with you before on is the 25th anniversary Leia head sculpt - definitely the best facial likeness and as good as its likely to get IMO- they really ought to use that head again - I'm amazed they haven't. Must they really be so insistent on ball joint necks? They're the ruination of otherwise great figures.

By the way I think it might be worthwhile for you to repost your General Veers custom now that Hasbro have done a proper one. I'd like to compare and also hear your opinion on Hasbro's one.

jedibear
02-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Wow...Darklord, you are amazing! Those "kit-bashes" as you call them are impressive...most impressive. I really like the old Ben.
You do great work...

JEDIpartner
02-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Saga Lando? You mean Lando General? Or are you thinking of POTJ Lando? POTJ Lando is my choice over the VOTC one, though the Saga Skiff Lando is pretty decent too it's likely not "main character" enough since it's a disguise outfit.

Yes, yes... POTJ- That's the one. Gosh!!! Has it been that long ago already???!!!

DARKLORD_67
02-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Wow...Darklord, you are amazing! Those "kit-bashes" as you call them are impressive...most impressive. I really like the old Ben.
You do great work...

Thanks a million for that wonderful compliment Jedibear. It is most appreciated and really makes my day!!! You're a pal !!

I wanted to repeat that I think Hasbro is doing GREAT work (most of the time). My customs would NOT be possible at all without their awesome products.

Also, I realize that the posting of my customs here in this thread seems a bit self-serving. I sincerely do apologize for that. It is (as I said at the beginning of my initial post) the only way that I can make the point about what I consider to be Hasbro's most "accurate" work. Most of the time, Hasbro's best (most accurate) stuff for a single character can be found in different action figure renditions of that character.

As a customizer, it is my natural inclination to want to compile the best (most accurate) parts of all of Hasbro's efforts (from a single character) into a single "super" action figure of that character.

WhereIsTheDefel
02-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Question for Boba Fett experts out there...

Is his uniform slightly different in ROTJ and in ESB? If the uniform is different, is the VOTC Boba Fett considered the definitive version of his ROTJ likeness or his ESB likenes?

Slicker
02-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Fett's armor is indeed different between the movies. In ROTJ Fett's backpack is alot more colorful than in ESB having the blues, yellows, and reds. There also is a difference with his gloves but I'm not quite sure what the difference is.

DARKLORD_67
02-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Excellent customs DARKLORD - particularly Obi-wan and Han - I'd never seen those before. And you photograph them well. How did you get Obi-wans robes to hang so naturally? And from where did you get the softgoods for the skirt - another figure?

Thank so much for the compliments DEVO! You're always so kind whenever I have visited here at Sirsteve's guide message boards, and I thank you sincerely!!

To answer your questions about my custom Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: Basically, I gently press ALL of the soft-goods on EVERY custom action figure I create with a steam iron set on a cool setting and through a white paper blotter (to avoid direct contact between the garment and the iron). Pressing the soft-goods allows you to manually control the drape and hang of the garment upon the figure... even in this scale. Also, a neatly pressed garment eliminates the annoying "poofiness" often associated with soft goods.

The kind of garment "poofiness" I'm referring to can be clearly seen in the Evolutions Darth Vader figure. Compare photos of how Evo Vader wears his robes and cape versus how my own pressed robes and cape drape upon my custom Vader in the photo above. You'll see what I mean.

The soft-goods for Obi-Wan Kenobi's skirt were created with raw tan fabric that I purchased. I created the skirt as a simple "wrap-around" with a finished, "hemmed" bottom edge (to avoid fraying of the fabric). But going a step further than Hasbro's VOTC Kenobi, I also added the three vestment strips that hang free below his belt-line. These were created separately as finished edge pieces to avoid fraying of the fabric. They were glued to the inside of the cloth waist band (also made from the same fabric). When the waist band is worn by the figure, the vestment strips hang free and have full mobility.

Underneath the skirt are the legs and pelvis of SAGA I Lando Calrissian: Jabba's Palace, and the boots of SAGA I Captain Antilles.

Must they really be so insistent on ball joint necks? They're the ruination of otherwise great figures.

When it comes to women, I certainly agree with you WHOLEHEARTEDLY!! For some of the male characters I tolerate the ball-jointed heads if they are attractively sculpted.

By the way I think it might be worthwhile for you to repost your General Veers custom now that Hasbro have done a proper one. I'd like to compare and also hear your opinion on Hasbro's one.

Boy-oh-boy. Hasbro's General Veers... Man, have I gotten some SERIOUS FLAK over my opinion of that figure:

Okay, in a nutshell, I think that Hasbro's General Veers figure is generally nice looking, and (in my opinion) it contains a sufficient amount of articulation... especially for a guy that did nothing but stand in the cabin of an AT-AT in the film.

However, in my opinion, there are some mis-steps with this hotly anticipated action figure that (for me) disqualify it as one that I would ever buy:

Firstly, I do not care for the "Quentin Tarantino-esque" face sculpt. There is just no arrogance or malice in that sculpt that I can see. General Veers (as played by Julian Glover) had a bit of a sneer about him that was... nasty.. icy... ruthless. It's totally absent here (in my opinion).

Secondly, the AT-AT Command Battle helmet on this figure looks somewhat warped and ill-fitting. So I'm less than thrilled with that. What gives? The OTC Han Solo: AT-ST Driver helmet was nice and sturdy and it kept it's shape perfectly. There was no need for this.

Thirdly, if this action figure was intended to be one with interchangeable outfits, then it should have done so WITHOUT "cheats"! Otherwise, release two separate figures in the two different outfits!!

What "cheats" am I refering to? Well...

The imperial officer's cap on this figure is NOT removable. Why? I doubt sincerely that Veers wore his cap under his AT-AT Command battle helmet!! The action figure should NOT have either! Making the cap removable would have been simple enough, and Hasbro has done it before (see POTJ Bespin Guard). To me, that's unacceptable.

Then there's his AT-AT Command Battle Armor: The attached belt armor portion I could almost forgive (even though it SHOULD be a separate piece). But the thing that I simply cannot believe is Veer's armor was made WITH NO BACK HALF??????? Are you friggin' kidding me???!!! For an action figure this eagerly anticipated, I find that insulting. I mean, what did the Hasbro designers do? Did they just throw up their hands at the design meeting for this figure and say, "Ah this figure does not NEED a back for his armor. The collector geeks won't care." Come on. That's not fair.

Then there's the overly bulky holster that sits strangely under his arm. There was really no need to have a bulky, working side-holster with this figure. Veers is never seen carrying a side-arm in the movie, so this figure really didn't need one, much less a holster to carry it in.

I know that for some folks these are "minor" points. In the grander scheme of things... ther are. However, I believe in encouraging Hasbro to IMPROVE their products, and in not letting them off the hook when they worsen.

Yes, this version of Veers is (generally) an improvement over the POTF II Veers from 1997. No doubt about that. BUT, he is NOT as much of an improvement as he could and SHOULD be. This figure really should have been better!! Just look at what AWESOME stuff Hasbro is capable of (See AT-AT Driver)!

Anyway, that's my Veers rant. Me? I guess I'll just stick to my custom General Maximillian Veers figure from last year. His base body is (obviously) an Admiral Ozzel, but I made him taller by performing some surgery on his legs to make them longer:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/GeneralMaximillianVeers.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/GeneralVeersArmor.jpg

DARKLORD_67
02-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Fett's armor is indeed different between the movies. In ROTJ Fett's backpack is alot more colorful than in ESB having the blues, yellows, and reds. There also is a difference with his gloves but I'm not quite sure what the difference is.

Aside from the backpack difference mentioned by slicker, there is:

The Armor COLOR: The green of Boba Fett's chest plates and crotch armor are a dark olive drab in TEBS. In ROTJ The green is closer to a dingy emerald green.

The Weapon Gauntlets: In TESB, the wrist weapons were BOTH dark olive drab. In ROTJ, the wrist weapons are BOTH dull, dingy crimson. The "prototype" Boba Fett costume (the first Boba image seen on the vintage Kenner cardback) had wrist weapon gauntlets that were dingy crimson (right), and yellow (left).

The Utility Belt: The belt seen in TESB was a leather belt with some ammunition pouches along the sides. Also, a series of loosely bunched-up brown ropes were worn around his waist and hung diagonally in front of his cod piece. The ROTJ belt is a leather belt with several ammunition pouches fully along the front. The loose brown ropes were once again present .

The Side Pouches: The large side pouches on either side of Boba Fett's belt were a dingy pale greyish blue (like his flight suit). In ROTJ, these side pouches were tan.

Side Holster Barely seen at all, Boba Fett carried a side holster (with a concussion grenade launcher) on his right hip in TESB. In ROTJ, there was no such holster.

Gloves In both Empire and Jedi, Boba Fett wore pale bluish grey gloves with white trim on each finger, and a white pad on the back of the hand. But the "prototype" Boba Fett costume had brown gloves with tan trim for each finger and a tan pad with a black circle on the back of the hand.

Side Cape Boba's side cape in TESB was a dingy tan with brown stripes. In ROTJ, Fett wore a tattered dark olive green Cape.

Firearms *The gun that Boba Fett uses in BOTH films (presumably a BlasTech EE-3 Short Barreled blaster rifle) is in actuality a modified Webley & Scott No.1 Mark 1 Flare Gun, built for British paratroopers during WWI. The prop makers added a rifle scope, some detail parts to the stock and a Heiland Synchronar flash unit protruding from the end of the barrel.

In ROTJ, the Webley & Scott base gun was used again. The difference was that more detail was added to the barrel.

The Heiland flash unit was removed and ribbed hand grips were built over the existing flare gun barrel. The same scope was used, but it was mounted pointing in the opposite direction from the ESB version (!). The scope was also mounted farther back on the gun and slightly lower.

WhereIsTheDefel
02-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Wow, Darklord, that's some great info on Fett!

So are the two best Fetts the 300th one and the VOTC one?

CaptainSolo1138
02-06-2006, 02:57 PM
So are the two best Fetts the 300th one and the VOTC one?
I believe that's the general consensus in these parts, though some mention the "Pit of Carkoon" version as well. But the debate about which is the best rages on.:p

I dig the 300th, mostly because of the drab ESB colors.

JediTricks
02-06-2006, 05:01 PM
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=30125

I guess you could call that a consensus. Keep in mind that this was 2 months before the TSC version of the Carkoon Fett came out, but I don't think it'd sway the votes *that* much.

DarkArtist
02-06-2006, 05:21 PM
I'd have to say

VOTC Han, Evolutions Vader,Jabba's Palace Luke, ROTS C-3PO, VOTC R2-D2, comm-tech Leia, POTJ Obi Wan, VOTC Chewie.

Devo
02-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I can't get over that Obi-wan. I'd buy multiples of that if it were at retail. It looks like a sideshow 3 3/4" figure. I really noticed and was let down badly by the skirt on the VOTC figure - bland material and where were the vestment strips? (thanks by the way - I didn't have a clue what to call them) The POTJ head sculpt looks fantastic under that hood.The VOTCer's head wasn't up to scratch, an oddly elongated pea. And on my first one it was a bright pink. I bought a second VOTCer after a botched custom attempt to address the puffiness of the soft goods robe and an effort to create a neutral pose, hood-down Kenobi which Hasbro haven't done since POTF2 (I don't count the OTC ghost although I'm fond of that).

Question: when you interchange parts from various figures how do you

A) do so without breaking or marking the figures - for example when I've tried customs I've found boil&pop to be not quite as clear cut as it sounds - I've had to wedge torsos&pelvises apart at the seams with blades in order to get limbs out - this leaves marks

and B) are you able to keep mobility whilst also preserving 'tightness'? The one successful head change I've ever pulled off was between Saga pilot Obi-wan and Acklay Battle Obi-wan - however the pilot figures socket was slightly too big for the neck of Acklay battle and it therefore spins rather too easily.

CaptainSolo1138
02-06-2006, 06:45 PM
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=30125

I guess you could call that a consensus. Keep in mind that this was 2 months before the TSC version of the Carkoon Fett came out, but I don't think it'd sway the votes *that* much.
Thanks, JT. I knew that poll existed, I just didn't feel like looking for it.:D

DARKLORD_67
02-06-2006, 08:56 PM
I can't get over that Obi-wan. I'd buy multiples of that if it were at retail. The POTJ head sculpt looks fantastic under that hood. It looks like a sideshow 3 3/4" figure.

You're makin' me blush. I'm so humbled. That is a VERY flattering comparison. Thank you so much !!

I really noticed and was let down badly by the skirt on the VOTC figure - bland material and where were the vestment strips?

You and I both !! That let down was what prompted me to create my little customized old Jedi hermit friend. See, I don't create customs just to be some great heralded artist or something. I create them when Hasbro has left me no other choice. I'd prefer not to, believe me. The cut fingers, the added expense of "fodder" figures, the expense of constuction materials, the paint fumes... not exactly fun.

The VOTCer's head wasn't up to scratch, an oddly elongated pea. And on my first one it was a bright pink. I bought a second VOTCer after a botched custom attempt to address the puffiness of the soft goods robe and an effort to create a neutral pose, hood-down Kenobi which Hasbro haven't done since POTF2 (I don't count the OTC ghost although I'm fond of that).

Yeah, VOTC Obi-Wan's head DEFINITELY was elongated. It made him look completely emaciated. I mean, the man looked like he needed to have a sandwich or somethin'! I never bothered to get the OTC ghost Obi because he does not resemble the healthy looking Kenobi that I created. He too looks far too thin. Check out Kenobi in his house scenes from ANH. He was a beefy man. Not at all frail.

Question: when you interchange parts from various figures how do you

A) do so without breaking or marking the figures - for example when I've tried customs I've found boil&pop to be not quite as clear cut as it sounds - I've had to wedge torsos&pelvises apart at the seams with blades in order to get limbs out - this leaves marks

and B) are you able to keep mobility whilst also preserving 'tightness'? The one successful head change I've ever pulled off was between Saga pilot Obi-wan and Acklay Battle Obi-wan - however the pilot figures socket was slightly too big for the neck of Acklay battle and it therefore spins rather too easily.

A) Whenever I create a custom action figure, and have determined that I need a specific body part for that character from a donor action figure, it is ONLY that body part that I worry about preserving. I consider the whole rest of the donor figure EXPENDIBLE.

THIS is what makes customizing an expensive hobby.

I've heard of boil and pop, but frankly I don't see how that works without seriously weakening the fastening pin that holds the donated limb in place.

B) I am indeed able to keep mobility and preserve tightnes of donated limbs on my custom figures. If the fastening pin of the donated limb does NOT fit neatly and snugly into the torso of the intended custom figure, then I use the fastening pins of that torso's ORIGINAL limbs instead. I simply slice the fastening pins off of the original limbs (with a razor blade) and super-glue them to the donated limbs

To illustrate this point, let's look at the example of body part swapping you provided:

You wanted Ackalay Battle Obi-Wan Kenobi's head on the body of Pilot Obi-Wan. The trouble was that the Pilot Obi-Wan's neck socket was a bit big and the Ackalay Obi-Wan's head ended up with a loose fit.

MY way of dealing with this issue would have been to purchase two (2) Pilot Obi-Wan Kenobi's and one (1) Ackalay Battle Obi-Wan.

1) Using a hammer, I would smash the torso of Ackalay Obi-Wan to cleanly obtain the head.

I'm sorry, but I just don't trust "boil and pop" with plastic!

2) Next, I would smash the torso of one of the Pilot Obi Wans so that I could obtain ALL OFF HIS LIMBS (head, arms and legs) cleanly with their fastening pin stems intact. Put these limbs aside.

3) Then, using a razor or X-acto blade, I would slice off ALL of the limbs (at the fastening pin stems) on the second Pilot Obi-Wan Kenobi.

At this stage I should have

A) An Ackaly Obi-Wan Kenobi head intact with its fastening pin.
B) The arms legs and head of a Pilot Obi-Wan (all with their fastening pins intact)
C) The clean torso of a Pilot Obi-Wan Kenobi (with the fastening pins from it's sliced-off limbs rattling around loose inside)

4) Now, using a BRAND NEW sharp single-edge razor blade, I begin slicing apart the two halves of the Pilot Obi-Wan torso RIGHT ALONG THE SEAM.

I work slowly and follow the seam carefully. I start at the area under the crotch, and work my blade along the sides. I come up to one shoulder, slice across to the other, and then down the other side of the torso. When I arrive back to the crotch again, the two halves of the torso should pull apart pretty easily.

When they do, the sliced fastening pin stems from the five limbs can now be discarded.

5) Now I take the Ackaly Obi-Wan head and slice off the full fastening pin stem under it's neck. Discard. Using a rotary tool (Dremel, etc) I drill a small indentation under the neck where the fastening pin stem used to be.

6) Then I slice off the fastening pin stem from under the Pilot Obi Wan's head. I super-glue this stem to the underside of the Ackaly Obi-Wan's head (right into the indentation that I drilled there)

7) Now I replace ALL of these limbs into the 2 Pilot Obi-Wan torso halves: (the intact Pilot Obi-Wan arms and Legs AND the Ackaly Obi-Wan head with a transplanted Pilot Obi-Wan head fastening pin stem. Test the fit of these limbs in the torso.)

All the limbs should be tight and moveable.

8) Using a combination of super-glue and model cement, I carefully glue the two hlaves of the torso back together with the new limbs in place. I AM ALWAYS SURE TO AVOID GETTING ANY GLUE ON THE FASTENING PIN STEMS OF THE FIVE LIMBS. I clamp the torso halves tightly together and allow the glue to set. I use one of those LARGE paper document clips as a clamp. To avoid the clamp marring the torso sculpt details or paint, I always wrap the figure with some sort of barrier (a paper towel triple folded works well).

The finished result of all of this work should be a Pilot Obi-Wan Kenobi figure with an Ackaly Battle Obi-Wan Kenobi head. The figure will feature tight, fully articulated limbs!

I hope that helps.
:thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-07-2006, 05:38 PM
You guys are wrong about Obi-Wan's head, look at the photos on the Jedi Force File that comes with the POTJ figure, even that shows how squat and round that figure's head is compared to the real mccoy:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/potj/POTJbenkenobiff1.jpg
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/potj/POTJbenkenobiff2.jpg
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/toys/potjoldobiwankenobifront.jpg

Look at the chin, the cheeks, the eyes, the nose... that POTJ head is way off in all those areas and those are the central shapes that make up the face, so the whole shape is off. By comparison, the only things the VOTC head got wrong are the long neck and the lack of subtlty in the paint:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/OTC/VOTCbenfront.jpg

DARKLORD_67
02-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't think EITHER head nails Alec Guinness's likeness 100%

But at least the POTJ head (in my view) is FAR more flattering a likeness than the "crack-addicted" version that we got with the VOTC.

About the only thing that I see that the POTJ head could use to make it resemble Alec some more is a slightly more pointed beard.

Kenobi had one of those strange faces that NEVER stayed consistent throughout the three original trilogy films.

Just go back through the archives and look at stills of Kenobi. You'll see what I mean. Notice the different hairstyles and whatnot. Each one makes him look SO different.

There's a GREAT demonstration about this very thing on the Episode III DVD. I think it's on the supplementary disc on one of the Web documentaries. Ewan McGreggor is studying different photos of Alec Guinness along with his hair / make-up stylist.

They are both marveling at how DIFFERENT he looks with all the varying hairsyles he seems to sport throuought the three films.

Now I DID notice that Guinness was CONSIDERABLY thinner when he filmed his scenes for The Empire Strikes Back. His face is definitely more gaunt than it was in A New Hope or Return of the Jedi. Guinness WAS ill during the filming of those scenes, possibly explaining his somewhat "spent" appearence.

Perhaps the VOTC likeness is meant to depict Kenobi's look from Empire
:thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-07-2006, 07:32 PM
No, it's clearly meant to represent his face in ANH, look at those POTJ JFF pictures, they're both from ANH yet have a face longer and thinner than the figure they came with. No matter how fat or thin you get, the distance between your eyes doesn't change, and from the eyes to the mouth doesn't change, stuff like that stays consistant because of bone structure, usually the cheeks, upper nose, and chin are the same too (without cosmetic surgery of course), and I think the VOTC is by far the closest to this whereas the POTJ was an improvement over the POTF2 head but really doesn't look like him.

DARKLORD_67
02-08-2006, 08:24 AM
This is one of the things that makes collecting Hasbro's STAR WARS action figures so much fun!! Don't you think?

I mean, these differing perceptions of what makes a better "likeness" are fodder for such great conversations!

While one person may look at the new General Veers action figure and see a nice likeness of actor Julian Veers, another person looks at it and clearly sees Quentin Tarantino.

Show one person the Hasbro likeness of General Riekaan and they see a dead-on likeness of actor Bruce Boa. But others look at it and see politician John Kerry!

If you get ten people to tell you which Hasbro Han Solo likeness looks the MOST like Harrison Ford, you'll likely get 7-8 different answers.

And how about Lando Calrissian? His Kenner / Hasbro liknesses have ranged from Billy Dee Williams to Richard Pryor to Clevant Derricks (the actor from the 90's TV show "Sliders") to Coffee guru Juan Valdez!

In the end, some questions of "accuracy" are in the eye of ther beholder.:thumbsup:

Devo
02-08-2006, 09:12 PM
eye of the beholder indeed. I for one still don't see how the VOTC head is more accurate. Setting aside the likeness issue, that head is too small in relation to other figures - like I said earlier its an elongated pea. Whatever Alec's face looked like in any given film, whether he was more or less gaunt, his head should still be roughly the same size as that of other human figures and the VOTC was miniscule. Smaller than any Luke figure I can think of - perhaps beaten only by that abominable Carbonite Han from the Jabba's palace diorama. I may be wrong on that last one as I don't have the figures in hand. (everythings in the attic till I get my shelves built)

DARKLORD thanks for those tips. I'll be sure to bear them in mind if I ever again decide some figure needs changing. It may happen, for example, if Hasbro don't give us a decent DSII duel Luke really soon. Besides that it may be fun to experiment with all the 'spare' figures I will no doubt continue to accumulate. Like you it is my hope to have definitive versions of all core characters in their various outfits. Even the prequel trilogy - I want proper Obi-wan's and Anakin's from each film.

And since you bring up people's differing perceptions of likenesses on figures like Veers, Rieekan, Han and Lando Ill give mine:

Veers - Glover or Tarantino - I'm somewhere in the middle

Rieekan - Boa or Kerry - I think he looks identical to both in fact

Han - POTF - y'know what if they were to use this head now I wouldn't throw a fit. I think it has his facial 'character' down if not being identical to Ford's face in all its dimensions.

Han - Commtech/POTJ - arguably better judgement of the dimensions of harrison's face and I think it has some of his character as well. Again I wouldn't mind if they used it again

Han - SAGA trash compactor - Nah. I don't see Harrison in the face and the hair is a little too long. I appreciate that they tried to get the length of his hair more accurate than previous figures but think they overestimated just a tad.

Han - VOTC - not abysmal by any means but nevertheless my least favourite Han head sculpt. The ball-joint neck is a big handicap because the hair has to be cut too short. And I don't see Harrison in the face.

Han TSC - Again nah. Another ball joint neck. And an unflattering upward neanderthal gaze.

Han - 25th anniversary - Going for the promotion photo short hair rather than anything in the films so I can accept that. It has a similar face to the trash compactor Han which isn't a good thing. Something about the eyes and/or the nose throw it off.

I don't have the POTJ Death star escape Han but I think it looks like a decent approximation.

Lando - POTF2 - It was great then. But I think it lacks realism now. Not enough fine detail.

Lando - POTJ - I like. Can't think of anything that might have been changed to make him more accurate and yet I think it could look more like him.

Lando - SAGA/OTC General - nope. I wish they'd just stuck with the POTJ head. This one is too long.

Lando - SAGA/OTC Skiff - One figure where I excuse the ball-joint neck. Decent likeness by me.

JediTricks
02-09-2006, 04:24 AM
POTJ one has a big bulbous nose, large eyes, a fat mouth, more pronounced cheeks, and a wide square face - it looks like Santa. The VOTC one has smaller eyes, the nose is the right shape, it has a thinner mouth, the cheeks are more subtle, and the head is more oval-shaped... granted, the VOTC one is a narrow head and not perfect, but it's closer to Ben Kenobi than Santa.