PDA

View Full Version : Outbound Flight

mastermatt24
02-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Im going to get mine this weekend... Heres a handy coupon for anyone who wants to get it: http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/book_020206.htm
Its gonna be a long while before I read this one; Im still on the Swarm War :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-04-2006, 09:51 AM
As I have read 199 SW books (not comics, magazines, or source books), I am waiting for this one to be my 200th one. But, I have a couple others I'm in the middle of, so this will have to wait a little to get it checked out from the library.

El Chuxter
02-04-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm a few chapters in, and it's spectacular! C'Baoth is nothing like I expected, but I'll say no more.

Zahn is back on top of his game after the "only pretty good" Survivor's Quest.

mastermatt24
02-04-2006, 08:18 PM
As I have read 199 SW books (not comics, magazines, or source books),
How...? (or are you just being sarcastic?)

Bel-Cam Jos
02-04-2006, 09:30 PM
How...? (or are you just being sarcastic?)Well, if you add them up:

5 Timothy Zahn books
5 Kevin J. Anderson books
3 Han Solo trilogies
1 Lando trilogy
1 Black Fleet trilogy
1 Mandalorian trilogy
3 Tales Of/From... books
6 film novelizations
11 Young Jedi Knights books
6 Glove of... books
12 Galaxy of Fear books
18 Jedi Apprentice books
12 Jedi Quest books
3 Last of Jedi books
25 New Jedi Order books
At least 20 single novels
etc. etc.

By my own list, I've read one less than 2 C-notes. Plus the Marvel Comics series (110 with Annuals), many Dark Horse comics, lots of magazines, the newspaper series... I try to keep up on almost all SW EU, and so far, I've been pretty close.

mastermatt24
02-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Ohhhhhh.. Ok I apologize. I wasnt even thinkin the "kids" novels. :)

Darth Jax
02-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Ohhhhhh.. Ok I apologize. I wasnt even thinkin the "kids" novels. :)

most of the kids books are better than the adult ones.

as for outbound flight, i'm about half-way through. i'll want to finish before commenting.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-05-2006, 08:42 AM
most of the kids books are better than the adult ones.

as for outbound flight, i'm about half-way through. i'll want to finish before commenting.I agree on both comments. I have my request placed at my library, so in about 10 days I can start on this one, and share my findings after. Zahn's one of my favorite SW authors, so I expect this to maintain his great style.

p.s. Plus...

10 X-Wing books
3 Choose Your Own Adventure books
6 young Boba Fett books
6 Junior Jedi Knight books
1 Kyle Katarn trilogy
1 Dark Swarm trilogy
1 Medstar duology
etc. etc. ;)

Darth Jax
02-05-2006, 10:11 AM
do you own most of those that you've read, or just get them at the library?

dr_evazan22
02-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Finished this morning. I of course had to stop reading yesterday to go to work, with only about 30 pages left.

It feels like its been so long since Survivor's Quest, I need to dig that out and reread it. Though after the Swarm War.

Darth Jax
02-05-2006, 07:32 PM
i'm done as well. stayed up til 2 this morning to get it done. with the build-up to get there, it ended pretty quickly.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-06-2006, 09:58 PM
do you own most of those that you've read, or just get them at the library?I only check out new hardcovers from the library, but then I buy the paperback versions when they come out (and seldom read them, since I've already done so, but many include e-books or short stories in the back that are cool additions).

I own all the Marvel Comics series, many Dark Horse trade paperbacks, virtually every fiction (adult and young adult) novel, and most of the source and encyclopedic books or behind-the-scenes ones. It's the one SW collectible genre I've tried to keep up on, which hasn't been easy (or cheap).

OC47150
02-09-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm a few chapters in, and it's spectacular! C'Baoth is nothing like I expected, but I'll say no more.

Zahn is back on top of his game after the "only pretty good" Survivor's Quest.

That's a good enough recommendation for me! I will have to pick it up! :thumbsup:

mastermatt24
02-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Heres an even better coupon for you: http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/book0209.htm :pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-23-2006, 07:44 AM
After Survivor's Quest, as Chuxter said, an "only pretty good" story, I am reminded why Timothy Zahn still holds a place as one of the top SW writers ever. The build up was unsual for an EU novel, in that we know for the most part how it'll end, just a question of how (like ROTS, of course). Not surpisingly, Zahn excels when he gets to play with his own creations.

I'm not gonna tip-toe around; here's some spoilers:

... I was shocked that C'Boath is "killed." I figured somehow he'd survive, since cloned "Joruus" is active in Heir to the Empire. Dang it, Mr. Zahn! Now you've got me drooling for the stories how Thrawn enters Republic space, gets access to cloning tubes, becomes a Grand Admiral, apparently finds genetic material from C'Boath, discovers ysalamiri and what they can do, meets Vader and adds to the destruction of the Noghri homeworld. You were supposed to answer EVERY ONE OF THOSE in this book! Now I have to buy another of your superbly-crafted, well-characterized, suspenseful and intricately-designed surprises in a smooth-flowing story. Thanks a lot! (Really, thank you very much).

... So the Yhuzan (sp?) Vong have been around for quite some time. Maybe the Emperor was so concerned with them that it wasn't "strange that [he had] not" sensed Vader's personal struggles. This novel's set 5 years after TPM, and Palaptine sees their invasion 30-40 years later? Hmm. Sounded like a cheap way to make the NJO series so important. Yawn. :o

... Anakin's future is hinted at quite a few times. Seeing the powerful C'Boath had an effect on him, obviously.

Overall, I give it an 8.5. I read the last 200+ pages in one setting, as I just had to finish it.

El Chuxter
02-23-2006, 09:06 AM
I thought Palpatine created Joruus? Maybe I need to re-read the Thrawn Trilogy. There is a brief mention that all Jedi have to have blood samples drawn, and the only way it could have gotten off the ship would have been to have left with Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, or Jorj. One of these things is not like the other. One of these things does not belong.

I like how Zahn turned what we expected on its head. Thrawn is the good guy, Jorus a crazed fallen Jedi. And the reports of Thrawn intercepting and destroying Outbound Flight were a tad exaggerated. I didn't see that coming.

Mixed feelings on the Yuuzhan Vong thing. On the one hand, it ties things together well. On the other hand, tossing them into everything seems to cheapen what came before.

dr_evazan22
02-24-2006, 10:52 PM
From the Thrawn trilogy it was implied that there was this whole FLEET of ships that thrawn found and recovered, thus tipping the scales back towards the Empire. But there were only 6 ships! And they're smaller then star destroyers, even the cruisers that they had then.

El Chuxter
02-24-2006, 11:39 PM
I think you're thinking of the Katana Fleet (AKA the Dark Force), which is a massive fleet of Republic Dreadnaughts equipped with slave-circuits so that they require a minimal crew. They were lost prior to the Clone Wars (I don't believe the story has been told yet) when a hive virus made the crew go mad and send the fleet into deep space. Thrawn found them while mapping the Unknown Regions (sometime between the Galaxy of Fear series & TIE Fighter PC game and the Thrawn Trilogy).

The six Dreadnaughts of Outbound Flight were completely lost, since there were no survivors who could actually make it back to either the Chiss or Republic civilization, until a Chiss expedition re-discovered their resting place shortly after the Hand of Thrawn duology and before Survivor's Quest.

dr_evazan22
02-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Ah, OK. Had forgotten that part of history. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

DarthQuack
02-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Read this in about 3 days, really enjoyed it, and I haven't read Survivor's Quest so I'm kinda looking forward to reading that when I read everything else i need to.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Read this in about 3 days, really enjoyed it, and I haven't read Survivor's Quest so I'm kinda looking forward to reading that when I read everything else i need to.I wonder if that'll make SQ easier to understand. I read it before OF, of course, and was in the dark about some of the details because the back story hadn't been told yet.

I guess I need to add the finding of the Katana Fleet story to what Zahn owes us, but actually I seem to recall that in the Thrawn trilogy he uses the fleet that he had hidden, right? So the story may not be all that interesting if if was just found floating in space.

As for other Outbound Flight SPOILERS...

I also liked how Thrawn learns to speak Basic, and how those who heard him were shocked to hear it. However, the Unknown Regions sounds too much like the Invisible Barrier in Time Bandits, where it's just there, but no one goes beyond it. I expected a sign on a asteroid that said "Now Entering the Unknown Regions, Not Responsible For Lost or Stolen Items." That was a little weak, I thought.

The agent (I've forgotten his name already, sorry :( ) seemed to know a lot about both Palpatine and Sidious, so it makes me wonder how Dooku/Tyrannus could duplicate that plot device; the "Dooku turns from the Force" would make a cool story, too.

I wonder how much longer after this story Thrawn was introduced to Republic/Imperial officials and went through the Moff-ing process. Not until post-ROTS?

OC47150
02-27-2006, 07:15 AM
The library had a copy of Outbound Flight, and I'm now on page 175. So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Nice to see him taking a stab at earlier SW events.

mastermatt24
02-28-2006, 01:43 AM
Ok. Ive had a hard time not reading this thread because I have a horrible little secret..
Matt's big seceret: Ive never read a Zahn book :cry: :whip:

All horrible secrets aside, I have a question. Should I read this book first? (in this case I guess Im like a person who has never seen SW and can watch em' all in order kinda deal)

OC47150
02-28-2006, 06:58 AM
And you shall burn in the fiery pits of Mustafar for your admission, Mastermatt!!

Just joking.

I'm halfway through the book now, and finding it hard to put it down. Blasted work and sleep gets in the way.

But I've wondered that question, too, Matt. It's a great lead-in to the Thrawn trilogy (HTTE), but there's characters and elements from the Thrawn duology (Hand of Thrawn) and Survivor's Quest that might have you scratching your head and going huh, who's that?

Reading Outbound makes me want to reread Heir. It's been a good 10 years since I've read it.

Banthaholic
06-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Just finished this one. Started on Sunday, and it flew buy. It was hard to put down. I've read The thrawn Trilogy had haven't gotten tot eh duology yet, so you can guess what my next two reads will be.

This book was great. It left a few cliffhangers, but that makes for another good read another day. Zahn like Thrawn has a crafty was of deducing a story.

Phantom-like Menace
02-17-2007, 09:47 PM
I really enjoyed this book. The Thrawn Trilogy is magnificent and the three books in that series were so good I had to read The Hand of Thrawn duology as soon as possible. I wasn't impressed with those. Too much about Thrawn was answered and a lot of it was just plain boring.

But Outbound Flight was Zahn back in form. It didn't have as many ingenious tactical scenarios like his original Thrawn works, and it only briefly mentioned his study of art, but like El Chuxter mentioned, Thrawn was completely different than I expected. His fall to the darkside--if one is inclined to describe it in such dramatic language--is far more convincing than that of Anakin. You really get the feeling that had Thrawn felt it was strategically better not to join the Empire that he could have just as easily been a good guy.

Bel-Cam Jos, I don't know if it's only in the paperback version, but Zahn wrote a short story about Thrawn's being offered the opportunity to join the Imperial Navy. Without giving away any spoilers, and to answer your question, the short story is set five years after RotS, so it would be shortly after that time that Thrawn becomes an Imperial officer.

I thought Palpatine created Joruus?

Yep, he got the DNA sample from before Outbound Flight left.

Thrawn found them while mapping the Unknown Regions (sometime between the Galaxy of Fear series & TIE Fighter PC game and the Thrawn Trilogy).

Is that a contradiction of previously established events? In The Thrawn Trilogy, Thrawn wasn't certain where the Katana fleet dreadnaughts were and had to find the guy who did know to beat the Republic to the prize.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Bel-Cam Jos, I don't know if it's only in the paperback version, but Zahn wrote a short story about Thrawn's being offered the opportunity to join the Imperial Navy. Without giving away any spoilers, and to answer your question, the short story is set five years after RotS, so it would be shortly after that time that Thrawn becomes an Imperial officer.
It was called "Mist Story," or something, where Thrawn defeats an Imperial landing party by himself, and is taken back to Imperial Center (aka Coruscant) when a commander recognizes his abilities. And yeah, it's in the back of the PB version.

Phantom-like Menace
02-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I figured since it had been so long since this thread had been active (I only just read the book), that you probably would have already seen that short story. I was a little annoyed with the short story. On one hand, the tactical tricks he pulled on the landing party were more inspired and creative than the tactical tricks he pulled throughout the actual Outbound Flight novel, but on the other hand, it's being a short story made the whole thing seem a little too pat for me. "Hi, you just handed my landing party its own rear end, what say you join the Imperial Navy." All Zahn would have had to do to make me happy on this point, though, was maybe have Parck comment that Doriana had returned to Coruscant and told Palpatine about Thrawn and that Palpatine had expressed interest in possibly recruiting him.