PDA

View Full Version : What is the scariest video game that you have ever played?

UKWildcat
02-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Soooo... What is the scariest most creepiest video game that you have ever played? The kind that you are afraid to play with the lights out? The kind that makes you afraid to look around the corner? The kind that sends shivers up your spine? :twisted:

After much deliberation I would have to go with Doom 3. The whole game is just extremely dark; too dark some would argue. You can't see what is ahead of you, or behind you... until it is too late. The whole atmosphere is dark and eerie. You can have the scariest most evil monsters but if the atmosphere isn't there, it doesn't accomplish jack. The monsters are well crafted and designed and when strategically placed in the levels, they provide jumps, surprises and scares all the time. Sometimes you are almost hesitant to go forward. The graphics are top notch. Doom 3 also packs a really good soundtrack that compliments the atmosphere and the monsters really well. A 5.1 soundcard and speaker system on a game like this can make you wish you only had a built in pc speaker. The gameplay is excellent except for the fact that you can't have the flashlight drawn with a weapon at the same time. This caused a lot of frustration and anger among Doomers, but it definitely helped to establish it's eerie atmosphere. What you can't see and shoot at will usually scare the hell out of you... and it does!

There are several other games and parts of games that I would love to mention but lets see what you all can come up with.

James Boba Fettfield
02-04-2006, 01:08 AM
It was and still is the Resident Evil remake. There was a point where I would only play the game for a block of minutes at a time whereas I would normally sit and play a game for hours. It wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't playing it for my first time ever (that includes the original PS version) and if they hadn't made it that dead zombies could reanimate and come back as something with the speed of the infected from 28 Days Later.

I can still hear that one's quick steps as it chased me unseen through a long hall.

Kidhuman
02-04-2006, 01:45 AM
I would agree and say resident evil. There wa s point in the game where two hell hounds jumped thorugh a window. I knew it was coming, but yet still scare the crap outta me.

Slicker
02-04-2006, 04:37 AM
I'm gonna have to say Max Payne. Only for the part where you're it's all dark and you have to follow the narrow path and can hear the babies crying. Now that's freaky.

plasticfetish
02-04-2006, 06:45 AM
The first time I player Resident Evil 2, I remember sitting their in my living room in the middle of the night all freaked out. The game made me jump, which was really amazing, and it was the reason why I ended up buying a Playstation. It may have been the first PS game that I played also.

Each of the Resident Evil games has been fun, but that one was really scary at the time. Those dogs still freak me out.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-04-2006, 09:12 AM
yeah, the RE games do it for me. RE2 was CRAZY delicious because it was so vast and huge and you had no idea what was lurking around the corner.

However, the one game that scared the crap out of me was for PS1, a game known only as "D" and it was scary as HELL. It involved you as the main character who were searching a mental hospital for your crazy father doctor who had killed a bunch of folks. The game spanned 3 discs and to this day gets the title for the game that creeped me out.

Here is a link for those who don't remember it: http://www.psxa2z.com/gpgs/BT0249.html

Fantastic game!

decadentdave
02-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Without a doubt, Shadows of the Empire N64 IG-88 Ord Mantell. Just hearing his hydrolic legs stomping around got my heart pounding so hard I thought I was going into cardiac arrest. Definitely one of the hardest boss level majordomos to beat in any game I've ever played. When I beat him, I yelled so loud that I probably woke up everybody in my neighborhood.

JimJamBonds
02-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Rambo: me and a buddy once played for 12 hours and we weren't even close to finishing it. ;)

Lord Malakite
02-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Dealing with Bone Thieves while mentally insane in Eternal Darkness or fighting off Cerebus and Crimson Heads in the Resident Evil GCN Remake.

Kidhuman
02-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Rambo: me and a buddy once played for 12 hours and we weren't even close to finishing it. ;)

On the Commordore 64?

Mandalorian Candidat
02-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Mine is Quake. It lets you play audio CDs once the game is loaded off the CD. I'd put on Iron Maiden or Metallica and turn off the lights. When those chainsaw dudes would show up around a corner I'd have an MI.

DarkArtist
02-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I'd have to say The Sims. man that game is long, hard and frustrating, and the grandma dancing is just plain scary, not to mention the way they talk. Gives me chills just thinking about it. lol lol lol lol

El Chuxter
02-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu. Why? Because I got through most of the game relatively quickly, and have been stuck on the final boss, who is nigh immortal, for over a year. It's scary because it makes me want to break things in the room.

JimJamBonds
02-04-2006, 11:05 PM
On the Commordore 64?

Nope good ol NES.

mrmiller
02-05-2006, 12:18 AM
A timely post, as the scariest game had to be Silent Hill. That stinking game haunted me when I was done playing it. Doom 3 sure had it moments, and would get my heart racing, but Silent Hill left me chilled afterwords. I'm really looking forward to the movie as well. Condemned on 360 is pretty creepy too.

=MATT=

mabudonicus
02-05-2006, 05:41 AM
I don't recall which installment, but Dino Crisis on the PS1 had some damn freaky bits in it, and it did some tricky stuff with the "load screens" so that sometimes it would "secretly" get some shocking sequence loaded up then drop it on ya with no delays...

It didn't give me nightmares or anything, but I jumped outta my chair more times than I can count :beard:

Sentinel18725
02-05-2006, 07:49 AM
I agree with Silent Hill being really creepy. Can't wait to see what the movie does with it.

Kidhuman
02-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Silent Hill was a close second on my list. Eerire graphics on that game.

UKWildcat
02-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I never did play any of the Silent Hill games. Are you all just referring to the first one? are the sequels to Silent Hill just as scary?

Another game I'll mention is Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Not the entire game, just the part when you go down into the Tombs. That level really creeped me out and I couldn't wait to finish it.

CooLJoE
02-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Hard to pick one, but I'd say Silent Hill, Doom3, and FEAR are the winners. I've seen votes for Doom3 and Silent Hill, but not yet for FEAR. If you guys haven't tried that one, definetely do so. It's like a mix of Doom3 and FEAR in regards to how it scares you. It has the dark gloomy look (sometimes) of Doom3 as well as having things pop out at you, but it has an eerie, creepy feeling like Silent Hill through the environment, scenes, and storyline.

scruffziller
02-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Soooo... What is the scariest most creepiest video game that you have ever played? The kind that you are afraid to play with the lights out? The kind that makes you afraid to look around the corner? The kind that sends shivers up your spine? :twisted:

After much deliberation I would have to go with Doom 3. The whole game is just extremely dark; too dark some would argue. You can't see what is ahead of you, or behind you... until it is too late. The whole atmosphere is dark and eerie. You can have the scariest most evil monsters but if the atmosphere isn't there, it doesn't accomplish jack. The monsters are well crafted and designed and when strategically placed in the levels, they provide jumps, surprises and scares all the time. Sometimes you are almost hesitant to go forward. The graphics are top notch. Doom 3 also packs a really good soundtrack that compliments the atmosphere and the monsters really well. A 5.1 soundcard and speaker system on a game like this can make you wish you only had a built in pc speaker. The gameplay is excellent except for the fact that you can't have the flashlight drawn with a weapon at the same time. This caused a lot of frustration and anger among Doomers, but it definitely helped to establish it's eerie atmosphere. What you can't see and shoot at will usually scare the hell out of you... and it does!

There are several other games and parts of games that I would love to mention but lets see what you all can come up with.

Most definately Doom 3 for elemental scariness. Situational scariness , which simulated a real situation that had high anticipation and you were so scared you would fail so you believed you were really there. With heart pounding and hands shaking at the keyboard and mouse....Was Star Wars Galaxies. When I was doing the most difficult of the trials to become a Jedi.

I suppose another one was i think it was called Fangoria 2(?) A Tale of Flesh(that name for sure) came out in like 1996/97 made by Sierra. Where a guy is being haunted by these weird occurances. It turns out that he is a clone and his real self, the real self is in another dimension trapped by this organic apparatus and he had gone mad so he is trying to destroy his clone self through some type of interdimensional telekinetic powers.

Kidhuman
02-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Silent Hill is scary, very eerire, both 1 and 2, never played anything after it.

UKWildcat
02-05-2006, 11:33 PM
...but not yet for FEAR. If you guys haven't tried that one, definetely do so.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to pick up FEAR sometime in the near future. First I need to finish Quake 4 and while I have been doing that, FEAR has been dropping in price. I know it can be had for under $30 (regular version) now and hopefully it will continue to drop in price.

Silent Hill is scary, very eerire, both 1 and 2, never played anything after it.

Cool. I do plan on playing them sometime but I remember hearing a while back that one of them is pretty bad. Maybe it is the 3rd installment?!?!

Kidhuman
02-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Possibly the third one, never played it.

CaptainSolo1138
02-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Not any one game in particular, but the "Dude, someone saw you" sound on Metal Gear Solid always made me jump, especially when it was accompanied by someone shooting.

Also, when you get near an enemy in the SOCOM games, a certain music starts palying. The music itself isn't really scary or creepy, but it starts out of nowhere (and most of the boards are silent except for your team's chatter).

CooLJoE
02-07-2006, 02:06 AM
FarCry has its moments too. Especially in darker moments when you hear the enemies yelling "I think I heard something." "OVER HERE!" *gunfire* and they start chasing you. It makes it that much better because in FarCry the enemies actually use a sight/sound logic for spotting you and its damn good. I mean if you hide in a bush, they won't see you, but once they get close enough they sort of spot you can head closer. Or if you walk around close enough to them, they hear the sound and know where it came from and start inquiring with each other on whether they heard it. If the sound is loud enough, it triggers a few of them to start a search party in your direction.

Fluke Skywalker
02-07-2006, 03:46 AM
This one goes back a ways, but there was a 'Friday the 13th' game for NES that freaked me out at the time.

I can't remember a lot of specifics, but you played a camp councilor and you basically walked around the woods waiting for Jason to pop out, then you'd just throw rocks at him (You could get other weapons too)! It always gave me a jolt because it was so random. Then, you'd get this warning that one of the kids were in danger and you'd have to hoof it back to the cabins before Jason killed them. Once all the kids were dead, the game was over.... quite freaky for it's time, though it looks pretty cheesy now.

Here's a quick blurb on the game and a screen shot.

wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th_(video_game) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th_(video_game))

Lord Malakite
02-07-2006, 12:21 PM
This one goes back a ways, but there was a 'Friday the 13th' game for NES that freaked me out at the time.

I can't remember a lot of specifics, but you played a camp councilor and you basically walked around the woods waiting for Jason to pop out, then you'd just throw rocks at him (You could get other weapons too)! It always gave me a jolt because it was so random. Then, you'd get this warning that one of the kids were in danger and you'd have to hoof it back to the cabins before Jason killed them. Once all the kids were dead, the game was over.... quite freaky for it's time, though it looks pretty cheesy now.

Here's a quick blurb on the game and a screen shot.

wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th_(video_game) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th_(video_game))

JBF and I have this game.:p To win you have to kill Jason and his mother's severed head at least 3 times each (and Jason's final death had to be at the hands of the rare pitchfork weapon).

Slicker
02-07-2006, 12:29 PM
I so remember that game and only played it like once. It's one of those games that was probably tough for a 7 year old but would get DOMINATED! by a 24 year old. Kinda like RC Pro Am.

UKWildcat
02-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Friday the 13th was an awesome game. A little repetative at times but really fun. I haven't played it in years but I remember it being pretty difficult back in the day. Like Slick said, I'm sure it isn't that tough now. Not sure if I ever finished that one, I can't recall. However, I can still remember the theme music... good stuff!

Excellent choice Fluke... that's a game I completely forgot about. :thumbsup:

James Boba Fettfield
02-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't know, I think it still presents a decent challenge today. Besides the bore of jumping around and trying to make weapons and items appear, Jason is a bit of a challenge.

When you go to the cabin he is at and no matter how much you prepare for it, he still gives you a jump the moment you find him in there.

Fluke Skywalker
02-07-2006, 09:09 PM
UKWildcat said:
Excellent choice Fluke... that's a game I completely forgot about.

Thanks. Yeah, I never really advanced much beyond the 8 bit realm. :D

Lord Malakite said:
JBF and I have this game. To win you have to kill Jason and his mother's severed head at least 3 times each (and Jason's final death had to be at the hands of the rare pitchfork weapon).

I knew it was twisted! I never got that far myself, never advancing much past the throw rocks and run like h**l phase. :hurt:

UKWildcat
02-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I never really advanced much beyond the 8 bit realm. :D

Of course everyone knows about Castlevania, but hopefully you were able to play Ghosts 'n Goblins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_n_goblins). GnGs was one of my favorite games on nes. Obviously these aren't the scariest games but both of them are definitely worthy of receiving nods in the 8-bit world.

Fluke Skywalker
02-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Oh yeah... Castlevania is one of my all time faves... When the mer-men jump up out of the water, it always got me.

About a year ago, I pulled the old NES out and played Castlevania & MegaMan II & III. I beat MM II & III, but Frankenstien and his stupid monkey still proved to be too much (Though I had gotten to Dracula once as a kid).

Yep, G&G, Wizards & Warriors... I loved them all. G&G was great... An all time favorite.

UKWildcat
02-09-2006, 10:04 PM
There were a couple of levels in the game "Thief 2: The Metal Age" that were pretty darn scary. Basically the ones that involved the "undead". Pretty creepy stuff. I hear that "Thief 3: Deadly Shadows" has some very similar levels that are even more frightening. I just started Deadly Shadows a couple of weeks ago so I haven't advanced real far yet. Btw, the Thief series is one of my favorites.

A couple more games that have scary elements are "Clive Barker's Undying" and believe it or not, "American Mcgee's Alice (in Wonderland)."

Sith Lord 0498
02-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Silent Hill 2...without a doubt!!

I was immensely creeped out, anxious, and jumpy just from walking through the fog-shrouded hillside in the beginning. The atmosphere was just way too intense...especially the sound effects of wolves all around me. I was just waiting for something to happen...and nothing did.

Whoa...givin' myself shivers just thinking about it. :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
02-10-2006, 01:52 PM
About a year ago, I pulled the old NES out and played Castlevania & MegaMan II & III. I beat MM II & III, but Frankenstien and his stupid monkey still proved to be too much (Though I had gotten to Dracula once as a kid).
Monkey? That invincible monkey would be Igor.:D The normal ones that you can destroy while going through the stages are called hunchbacks.

DarkArtist
02-10-2006, 02:32 PM
come to think of it Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was pretty scary thinking that there is some 5 year old kid right now sitting down to play the game and will beat it on one person. My wife and I sat in front of this game one night for 8 hours and only finished day one. I think this might be the hardest game ever created.

Fluke Skywalker
02-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Lord Malakite said:
Monkey? That invincible monkey would be Igor. The normal ones that you can destroy while going through the stages are called hunchbacks.

lol I know I just always loved calling him a monkey. BTW, when did he learn Kung-Fu? :p

El Chuxter
04-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Slicker's Mom: The Game.

It's so scary that it has never been released. In fact, during testing, the volunteer who played it went insane and ate his own feet. The game is banned under the Geneva Convention.

2-1B
04-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Shadowgate

Mad Slanted Powers
04-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Without a doubt, Shadows of the Empire N64 IG-88 Ord Mantell. Just hearing his hydrolic legs stomping around got my heart pounding so hard I thought I was going into cardiac arrest. Definitely one of the hardest boss level majordomos to beat in any game I've ever played. When I beat him, I yelled so loud that I probably woke up everybody in my neighborhood.I thought that one was pretty freaky as well. I think part of the reason may have been that I had recently read the Tales of the Bounty Hunters story, but I can't recall for sure which I did first. I just know that he was a bit difficult to beat, and I was hiding behind stuff waiting to get a good shot at him and then run away again. I was able to defeat him after a few tries. Boba Fett on the other hand is one I have yet to defeat. Part of that is that it is such a long level that I think I have only got to him a couple times.

I don't think I've played too many scary games. I know that the Tomb Raider levels with the T-Rex always freaked me out. When I see that thing show up, I run for cover.

Splinter Cell isn't too scary, but it had a certain amount of realism that made it kind of nerve-racking. Since the object of much of the game is stealth, I'd be in a bit of a panic mode whenever I would get spotted. The CIA level was the worst, because you couldn't shoot your own people. I think that level wore me out so much that I didn't get far in the next level before I stopped playing.

UKWildcat
05-02-2007, 12:30 PM
I started Silent Hill 3 a month or so ago. I haven't advanced real far in it, but what I've seen thus far is pretty creepy. I haven't played any of the other Silent Hills so I don't know how this one compares.

UKWildcat
12-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely going to pick up FEAR sometime in the near future. First I need to finish Quake 4 and while I have been doing that, FEAR has been dropping in price. I know it can be had for under $30 (regular version) now and hopefully it will continue to drop in price.

Well I finally snagged FEAR Gold Edition (Game + Expansion Pack) for a mere $12 a Target a month or so ago. I've been playing it for about a week now. And YES, FEAR definitely deserves to be mentioned as one of the scariest video games out there. Much like Doom III it has a very eerie atmosphere, and the plot and undertones to the game are very scary as well, even more so than Doom III I am starting to realize. I haven't advanced really far in the game, but it has been damn good so far, and pretty damn freaky too. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
12-02-2007, 02:55 PM
For me it is Smurfs.

UKWildcat
12-06-2007, 12:01 AM
There is a Smurfs video game?

Kidhuman
12-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Yes it was for Colecovision. It was pretty cool

UKWildcat
05-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, 6 months later I finally finished F.E.A.R (yes, I took a serious break there for a while). Not only did I think the game was awesome, but it was pretty scary throughout. The atmosphere and story (with regards to Alma), especially several of the sequences, throughout the game were all very creepy, up until the very last frame of the epilogue (:eek:), which was awesome btw - I had to watch that again immediately! :thumbsup:

I have the F.E.A.R Extraction Point expansion pack (included in the Gold Edition version that I got) which I will probably start sometime today. :)

UKWildcat
05-22-2008, 07:21 PM
I have the F.E.A.R Extraction Point expansion pack (included in the Gold Edition version that I got) which I will probably start sometime today. :)

Just finished up Extraction Point and it was pretty damn scary as well. Very nice expansion pack and play off of the original F.E.A.R game. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
05-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Turok was the first scary bloody game I ever played. You never knew when or what creature you were going to get attacked by.
These days I'm sure there are better more tense ones, but I still haven't gotten anything farther than my original xbox yet.