PDA

View Full Version : "Veronica Mars"... anyone?

JEDIpartner
02-06-2006, 01:27 PM
I have to say that this is probably one of the most clever and funny shows on television at the moment. VERY smart stories and ringing endorsements from Stephen King and Joss Whedon. Thank "God" for DVR!!! I can record this and watch "Lost".

Anyone? Anyone?

UKWildcat
02-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I've only heard good things about VM. I was able to catch a few episodes on DVD from the first season and I have to admit, they were pretty darn good. I can see how a show like this could become addicting because after I watched one episode, I wanted more and more. I still have access to the First Season dvd set and I definitely plan on finishing it. The only reason I'm not watching the second season on the air is because I want to finish the first season before hand. It seems like the episdoes run together and I didn't want to be lost.

On a side note, Kristen Bell is hot too! :love:

And yes, you are very much correct... God bless the DVR! It is a life saver.

JediTricks
02-06-2006, 03:26 PM
This is one of the better shows on the tube, it doesn't treat its audience like idiots as much as most of the fare out there, and it tries to avoid being "Beverly Hills 90210". This season has seen too many big cases for Veronica rather than interesting little ones, but it's still fairly engrossing. The casting work is pretty tight too, most shows can really sink a show with poor casting or focusing on the wrong things, but VM seems to aim for talent instead of flavors of the moment or something. Plus, it's nice to actually have a detective show on the air that isn't a Law & Order clone - not that I don't like L&O and clones, but the cop thing is getting so played out, PIs are where it's at.

JEDIpartner
02-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Fantastic!!! I'm glad that there are a few others out there who are watching the show!

I agree. I am SO over flipping channels and seeing CSI/L&O clones clogging up the airwaves. It's kinda refreshing to see something out there for a younger demographic that doesn't totally alienate people like me, who are in their late 30s. I love the bizarre relationship between Veronica and Sheriff Lamb. It tickles me every time she has to set foot in that office. I also dig the pop culture references. It's SO like my everyday life in that regard. :)

JEDIpartner
02-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Another great episode this week! It's funny that this episode made High School look even more hellish than Joss Whedon did on Buffy! The best moment came when Veronica got Ms Hauser to eat crow... and then discovered that, not only did she cast blame on the wrong person, she was also the one hiding the missing money! BUSTED!!!!

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 01:54 PM
It was a pretty good ep, Jackie in the dunk tank was messed up but Wallace was a good guy. The stuff with Logan and that girl was a little forced, but didn't come off that way so it gets a free pass.

Actually, Ms Hauser wasn't hiding the missing money, she was hiding $3000 more that she skimmed. It was Weevil who actually stole the money and framed Thumper -- for good reason. I like that Veronica's morality meter is all shades of gray, she doesn't turn in Weevil for it, yet down the road she may use it to blackmail him.

JEDIpartner
02-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Yes, yes... that's right.

Our Veronica will manage to get a payback out of it at some point. I was really surprised to see Weevil looking so different. No punk-o goatee and his hair growing out a little bit. I think the "shades of grey" thing is what really attracts me to this show. It's one of those things where, despite the fictional events, it's kinda real. Sometimes it DOES take a little bad to amount to a lot of good. Well, depending on which side of the line you stand.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Weevil's biggest change is the lack of the 'stache, first thing I noticed. The hair growing out did start becoming really obvious after a while. It makes sense to me, now that he's been jumped out of the gang it's a subtle change that makes the character feel different without being blatant.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-21-2006, 10:48 PM
I have to say that this is probably one of the most clever and funny shows on television at the moment. VERY smart stories and ringing endorsements from Stephen King and Joss Whedon. Thank "God" for DVR!!! I can record this and watch "Lost".

Anyone? Anyone?

The Seattle UPN channel shows it again on Saturday, so I don't have to record it.

Indeed a good show.

2-1B
02-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Kristin Bell rocks, she was great in her episodes of Deadwood.

I haven't seen this show yet, but I will get it on Netflix down the road.

Daz
03-02-2006, 01:28 PM
I have only recently got into the show and I have to say it had just about one of the best debut seasons of any show I've ever watched, there wasn't one duff episode in the entire run.

Caesar Kristin Bell rocks, she was great in her episodes of Deadwood.

She most certainly does, she could be reading names out of a phone book and I'd watch her

JediTricks
03-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I wish they wouldn't pepper the season with reruns, commit to a block of reruns if you have to but don't go all random like they have been. So, having just jumped in, would you say that the episodes stand alone pretty well even when they're part of a story arc? I have heard from some folks who won't jump in because of that.

Daz
03-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that Jason Dohring(Logan) is either Brent Spiners illegitimate lovechild or just watched way to much TNG when he was a nipper , his mannerisms and line delivery are pure Spiner.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I wish they wouldn't pepper the season with reruns, commit to a block of reruns if you have to but don't go all random like they have been. So, having just jumped in, would you say that the episodes stand alone pretty well even when they're part of a story arc? I have heard from some folks who won't jump in because of that.I'm the same way about such things. There are a lot of series I never watched because I missed the first episode. With Veronica Mars, some episodes are pretty good stand alone episodes. They also have "previously on Veronica Mars" at the beginning of most episodes, so that can help clue you in on some of the main points that might occur in the episode. Still, it would probably be helpful to find a series FAQ someplace, or find a friend who watches the show to help you get caught up on who all the characters are and how they relate to each other.

JediTricks
03-17-2006, 01:48 PM
A pretty good ep, not much was learned and the ending just added to what I already suspected, that Woody Goodman is the bomber. Logan's story arc seems to be picking up again, though he's still too "nice" lately, and using the daughter to get to the father is either great coincidence or fantastic maneuvering - perhaps Logan himself put the coke in the dad's medicine cabinet!

Veronica seemed to solve the case at hand alright, it was a bit of a stretch how it played out and that MTV chick was no good, but interesting none the less, plus she solved a second crime too.

JEDIpartner
10-04-2006, 10:02 AM
New network. New opening credits. New remix of "We Used to Be Friends". New characters. New locale.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the season opener. The banter was still fresh and it was nice to see that Mac's role has been increased. It will be interesting to see how the Wallace-Piz friendship develops. I really enjoyed the scene where they were ogling the female sunbathers on campus. It was nice to see that they are having Veronica attending a classe that would relate to her interests. One, it makes sense and two, it's an easy class for her and, after-all, she's a pseudoslacker at times. That was a nice "real" quality for her character.

Not sure that they should have messed Dick Casablancas so quickly. It would have been better to watch him sink a little more each week before coming to Logan for help. I'm glad to see that they are addressing Beaver's death and actions and how they are impacting Mac, Dick and some of the other characters.

JediTricks
10-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Hated the new credits sequence, the original one was dynamic where this felt slow and subdued. I saw Weevil listed in the credits, but not in the show - maybe VM will become his mentor.

I thought the show felt off for the first 20 minutes or so, the characters and situations felt like a "soft" imitation of the previous seasons, but then it picked up and fell right into VM territory. I knew that Mac's roommate was going to be next in line for the rape-headshaving. The thing with Piz's guitar was lame, if they had found that piece of evidence the cops would have taken it from the guy as evidence so he couldn't risk selling it out from under them - that was either bad writing or an intentional bad call on VM's part. Still, the end result was pretty good.

I'm not so sure of this timeslot, but now that I think about it, none of the other networks are bringing their A-game at 9 Tuesday anyway.

JEDIpartner
10-04-2006, 02:14 PM
I agree that the first 20 minutes had an odd ryhthm to it. I think part of that was intentional since they might be luring in new viewers. I think they gave bits of the VM formula to them throughout and then let them have it.

That's a truthful comment about the guitar... but I think that Piz would have gotten it back-- eventually.

JediTricks
10-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Naturally he has to tell the guy the 1 thing that makes it unique then walk away so the guy can just throw those out. :p

JediTricks
10-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Last night's ep was pretty good, a little too obvious getting Veronica back on everybody's bad side though. The stuff with Keith seemed like it ended quickly, I was just glad the local cops weren't owned by one of the gangs, or didn't think Keith was the killer.

JEDIpartner
10-25-2006, 11:57 AM
The show's finding its footing again. Yes, you're correct that Veronica is getting on everyone's bad side. It's pretty true to life, though. As she stated in this past week's episode, she's there to find the truth and put it out there. Those campus girls just wanna hang someone out to dry and just so they can have a name to blame. People are like that. I've experienced it and people eventually do come around once they get their puny heads around the concept.

JediTricks
10-25-2006, 03:06 PM
I had a big problem with the reporter pretending to be Logan's long lost brother, how would he know to tap the real Charlie Stone's phone as he claimed, and how would his editor allow this at all since it opens them up to an unbelievable amount of lawsuits? Still, that aside it was an interesting episode and Laura San Giacomo playing it up with her former Just Shoot Me costar was pretty good.

JEDIpartner
10-25-2006, 03:32 PM
It's fiction. *shrug* Then again, the climate in the United States is such that I wouldn't put it past a magazine to do such a thing.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-25-2006, 07:20 PM
I had a big problem with the reporter pretending to be Logan's long lost brotherIt was just an opportunity to attract some of the Gilmore Girls audience with the pretty boy from that show.

JediTricks
10-26-2006, 01:52 PM
:blink blink: uhhhhhhhhhh.... what?

Mad Slanted Powers
10-26-2006, 08:23 PM
The guy that played the reporter posing as Logan's brother is on Gilmore Girls, which is on right before Veronica Mars. Coincidentally, his character's name on Gilmore Girls is Logan. The actor's name is Matt Czuchry.

JEDIpartner
11-29-2006, 10:51 AM
That was some serious episode there!!! Okay... here's me: Sad about Veronica and Logan splitting; I think Piz is kinda cute now; glad that we had the return of the Mac (I love her!!!); loved the reference to Veronica killing off the sheriff in her "Perfect Murder" paper; totally knew that the dorm facilitator was in on the rapes when he was on the phone at the end; cheered Keith on when he broke into the room and told the rapists their ride back to Neptune was there; loved how Logan bashed in the windscreen of the police car just to get into the clink and bust heads!! Whew... great episode!!! Up next: Who shot the dean?!!!

figrin bran
11-29-2006, 11:11 AM
no kidding, it really was serious! i never liked logan and so i'm not sad at all about him and veronica splitting.

as for who shot Dean O'Dell? the easy answer would be one of the girls that was egging his car and his office window but maybe it was his wife?

JediTricks
11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Piz is annoying in a way because of how much they're foisting him on us, but at the same time he's not a bad character, he's just a thin character.

This ep was a little annoying because Veronica didn't do much work to actually discover who the rapist was, she just let stuff happen to her - that seems to be a common thread to these "end of the big story" eps, though I'll argue this was the least detecting she's ever done, and just downright stupid behavior. Still, a lot of interesting stuff happened and the acting felt fairly tight. I bet anything it'll be Veronica's perfect murder paper that is the basis for Dean O'Dell's murder, and it'll end up being someone who isn't the wife or the professor.

Ronnie's hair sure changed drastically in the middle of the ep, only to change back at the end. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
11-29-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm uncertain as to who shot the dean. I'd guess it wasn't his wife or the guy she was with, because it wouldn't make sense since he had just gone to see them. However, I'm wondering if that really happened. We see him grab a gun and show up at their hotel room and then nothing happened. Then he is back sleeping on the couch. If he just dreamt going there, then maybe it could be the wife's lover. However, if he didn't actually go there, then they wouldn't know that he knows and I'm wondering about the motive. It's all so confusing. My guess is that it is someone upset about reinstating the Greek system.

I really liked the episode before this one as well. I was cracking up at a lot of the references she was throwing out, like the "sorry, park's closed" line, and the theme to Gilmore Girls. However, Entertainment Weekly gave that episode a D rating and are really down on the series they used to praise. I'm still enjoying the show just fine.

JEDIpartner
11-30-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm enjoying it as well. I think that, like Buffy before it, the network is forcing the creator to give into certain demands. Joss Whedon had a lot of trouble with WB because they were telling him how to write the story to fit their agenda. I see plot decisions and character traits that seem to have been forced by people outside of the VM camp. It's still not a bad show. Heck-- even a bad episode of VM is better than 70% of what's on television anyhow!

I'm thinking that I'll get on-board with JT's suggestion that the murder is based on a scenario that Veronica created herself. Good job!

JediTricks
11-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Dang, they gave the Patty Hearst episode a "D"? I know it wasn't their finest hour, and the whole thing was a tad too cut-and-dried, but it was still interesting.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-30-2006, 07:28 PM
It's still not a bad show. Heck-- even a bad episode of VM is better than 70% of what's on television anyhow!That's my thought as well.

Dang, they gave the Patty Hearst episode a "D"? I know it wasn't their finest hour, and the whole thing was a tad too cut-and-dried, but it was still interesting.Agreed. I was cracking up at some of the things she was saying. The Patty Hearst angle was interesting in that her character almost seemed to be referring to Patty in real life with a line about spending her life trying to make up for a mistake.

JEDIpartner
12-01-2006, 09:46 AM
I know...!! I really enjoyed seeing her on the show. It was clever. :)

JediTricks
01-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Tonight is supposed to be the first new episode of the next run, however some markets may not carry it due to the president's speech so check local listings carefully.

Sad news for the show, the CW has optioned it a handful more episodes after this next run but not a full season's worth and they'll be stand-alones with no story arc, and even though "Everybody Hates Chris" just got picked up for next season, still no word on VM which looks pretty much like the end.

JEDIpartner
02-02-2007, 01:06 PM
I know... this really sucks. I just got season 2 on DVD for under $25 at Target a couple weeks ago. The CW is seriously messing up their chances of surviving as a network.

JediTricks
02-04-2007, 01:10 AM
The last episode aired on Wed and I found it a mixed bag, Keith's investigation didn't really take off enough for the first episode in a new arc, Veronica's new job had her making some pretty poor decisions, and the ending seemed a little sentimental for such a stark statement. Also, I felt like Veronica & Logan was a bit too rushed and stilted, but it is better than watching them pine constantly.

JEDIpartner
02-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Well, Rob Thomas was told NOT to write a long story arc and make it the focus for the second half of the season. Apparently, the CW wants to try to lure more viewers (good luck with the failing "Gilmore Girls" as a lead-in) and they think it might help to have more stand-alone episodes. There's also the possiblilty of the season being the last, so the CW is really tinkering with the formula to see if they can get people to tune in. What's bad about that is that they are forcing Rob to write these half-baked stories that let down the faithful core audience. This sort of thing happened with Joss Whedon and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and WB.

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah, this last episode really felt like they were forcing story issues and character issues, but at least the writers keep fairly consistent with our core characters and how they react - except for whiny-*** emo-Logan, that was just too damn much. The end of this one came about suddenly and didn't entirely make sense, but I called it the minute we met the roommate.

JEDIpartner
02-13-2007, 10:01 AM
I officially hate the CW.

JediTricks
02-14-2007, 08:44 PM
What brought that to mind, specifically?

Last night's episode I thought looked like it'd be schmaltzy with Logan being such a total b**ch, but truthfully I think the whole thing was handled far better than most any other show out there. The case Veronica took on felt a little too similar to the dean's death storyline, but within its own confines that too worked well. In fact, I'd say this was a pretty good episode in terms of character interaction and such, and not too bad in the plot department either.

I'm betting the coach's jailed son is allergic to peanuts which is how the cookies got VM in trouble at the end, he used them to escape.

JEDIpartner
02-15-2007, 12:41 PM
CW announced that they told Rob Thomas to end the Dean's murder storyline ASAP and just give the last three episodes stand-alone cases as they don't like multi-episode story arcs.

I really enjoyed Logan's interaction with the kid sister of Dick's future ex-wife. LOL I'm kinda glad that there was no resolution to that whole situation and applaud them for not giving in to the tried and true formula.

I agree with the story being seemingly familiar. I was still good as there was a slightly different angle on it. Perhaps that whole thing was a way for Rob Thomas and his writers to use some of the ideas they won't be able to use in the Dean O'Dell story now that the CW put the kibbosh on it.

JediTricks
02-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Geez, CW really needs to burn in hell, they have so few shows that work right now, of course they have to tamper with one of them.

JediTricks
02-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Wow, this was a crazy episode! I really liked the character interplay, though I felt there could have been more on the Logan C-plot, but that ending... what a switcheroo! This felt so much like a tacked-on ending that they reshot for to wrap up a bunch of stuff, but ultimately nothing can compare to the sheriff...

I really hope CW doesn't can this show, Veronica Mars - Girl Detective is among the bestest shows on the tube right now (and they should call it that, their marketing for the show sucks anyway).

JEDIpartner
02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Well... it doesn't help they are partnering this show with that stupid Aerie Girls or whatever it's called crap!

Yeah, the CW-- well, ANY network, doesn't seem to understand the loyalty of a cult show's audience. These people will tune into a show every week without fail and their ratings will be consistant. Tinkering with the formula to try to lure new viewers into a show like this is hazardous. They should re-think their position when it comes to cult shows like this and even Supernatural and whatnot.

Anyhow, back to the show. I was waiting for this episode to roll around. Michael e-mailed me a couple months ago and casually mentioned the story arc of Lamb for the season. So, I knew that "it" was going to happen but I didn't know how. Awwww... I'm gonna miss his silly face on the show but he's currently yapping with the Galactica folks at the mo. Did you know he was considered for Apollo at one point? Anyhow, he's hoping to fall into a couple episodes next season if they can make it happen. I hope they can.

JediTricks
02-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Him going out like a punk was kinda lamb... I mean "lame". ;) I was expecting at least some pretense of heroics or something besides sloppy police work getting him bopped on the bean.

I didn't know he was considered for BSG, that would have been a good fit, he even looks the part.

JEDIpartner
02-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Yeah... Mikey's been chatting with BSG's Mike and they are trying to get something together for him. Actually, he was also up for the part that Kyle Chandler played in King Kong.

I'm kinda glad that Rob and his team didn't try to make Lamb all heroic or likeable before getting taken out. He was his character up until the very end. Actually, he posted a really funny recap on the "Rack of Lamb" site. Let me go find it...

Here it is:

RECAP BY MUHNEY

WELL HOBBITS, TO QUOTE JIM MORRISON, "THIS IS THE END...MY ONLY FRIEND, THE END."

I asked to do this recap myself, I owed it to you guys, it's only fitting. Personal comments and thoughts from me will be coming soon...until then, enjoy the recap:

Previouslies...

Ahhh. Sheriff Lamb arrests Veronica one last time. Anybody notice he was holding her hand near his "sexy" region? (okay, c'mon, let's be professionals here)

Opening scene, Lamb (oh how he makes me swoon) interrogates Veronica (while day-dreaming of doing other things to her) and stares her down with those icy-blue eyes of his. Can I just say I have a crush on him? Anyway, he lets Veronica know she helped Josh escape jail via peanut butter cookies. Why didn't Lamb eat them? Oh, he was watching his girlish figure, that's right.

Next scene...Lamb is pretty sure Keith is trying to call him a dumba$$. Why Keith? Oh, why? Just admit you have a crush on him, it'll feel better to just get it out there. Keith wanted Lamb to know the dean's death wasn't a suicide. He's convincing enough to Lamb so the Sheriff has Sacks get some of the dean's office belongings for prints, AND Mindy O'Dell. I think Lamb wanted to meet with Mindy because he's hoping she's still single. Just a guess.

Gah, the scene with Mindy and Lamb. Sexy shadowy lighting. What a handsome chap. I was referring to Sacks standing in the corner. Oh yeah, and Lamb looked good too. I'm sorry, was there exposition in the scene? Oh, something about pills and sweating down Mindy.

Next scene, if you watch closely, it was a choice of Cliff and Lamb to enter the scene with Cliff's arm on Lamb's shoulder, because truthfully (and I'm serious) the two actors thought that Lamb and Cliff might be the kind of guys to have fun at strip clubs together. So, with that little moment we learn that they've got a past. Unfortunately, they no longer have a future together. Whoa! In this scene as Lamb lets Veronica out of jail he asks Wallace if he's seen him before and there is a reference back to the pilot regarding the Wizard. Ahhh, nostalgia. (That said, the implication of the comment regarding Dorothy was in awful taste, I don't believe anyone should ever get away with calling someone a BLANK for the sake of a cheap laugh. But hey, that's not Wallace's fault, it's not P.D.'s fault, he was only saying the lines given to him.)

Sheriff's department. Lamb snarks about the Marses and the Camelot. Ahhh, more pilot fun. Veronica says Lamb is a jerk. Lamb refers to the Marses as Neptunes favorite amateur crimefighting duo. Duo maybe. Amateur? Not for long. Can anyone say...SHERIFF MARS?

With the strength of a thousand men, Lamb slams Bitondo down with one arm. Can anyone say "manhandler?" Bitondo lawyers up, but not before Lamb gets close enough to kiss him. I thought they were gonna make out. Damn. I would love to make out with Muhney. Is that even possible?

Lamb, Cliff, and who cares? Cuz hey, Lamb and Cliff!! That sheriff is one. handsome. devil. A fantastic actor I might add. Not a very good Sheriff. C'mon, arresting Bitondo out of your jurisdiction. Can the writers do nothing for you? Have no fear, the writers are doing something for you after the next commercial break. Just watch.

Sheriff's department. Lamb is racing out the door to pursue Bitondo. Keith asks if he should come. Lamb, being consistent with his actions in season 2 (saving Keith's life by ordering him off Woody's plane) once again, is looking out for Keith's best interests and doesn't want him to get hurt. Lamb goes it alone. *sidenote* during every take that Enrico said "unhinged" Muhney could not stop laughing, then Rico would laugh. Vicious cycle. To my knowledge that was the only usable take without Keith and Lamb laughing. (Ahh, my final good memory from the show.) That was the last scene I ever shot for them.*

Lamb is looking out for Sacks, too, cuz deep down he likes him and doesn't want to see him get hurt. So Sacks stays outside. Damn, Lamb looks sexy with a gun. So sexy he has to shoot his reflection. He is promptly given a love-tap to the head with a bat and before he slips off to dreamy-land he gets in one last bit of snark and says "I smell bread." Bread? Money? No doubt snarking about how he's gonna sue Bitondo for his convertible Porsche...

Lamb. You've made an impression on so many people. You won't be forgotten. So say we all.

How Are Ewe?: sad

JediTricks
02-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Wow, he's a loon! :D

JEDIpartner
02-23-2007, 09:02 AM
He's pretty funny in the e-mails we exchange as well. :D

JEDIpartner
02-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Okay... so they managed to wrap that up in one episode. It think they did a good job with it considering all the loose ends they needed to tie up. The whole thing was a mess, but it was a mess in the way that I enjoyed it. Lots of personal motives and players in the game. I commend them for doing such a good job finishing up this arc considering the CW didn't give them an opportunity to play it out properly. It seemed a bit choppy and rushed but-- hey, what can you do? When the boss says to get it done-- you've gotta get it done!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-28-2007, 09:11 AM
I had a feeling that the T.A. might have been involved somehow. I just didn't completely trust him.

figrin bran
02-28-2007, 10:32 AM
I had a feeling that the T.A. might have been involved somehow. I just didn't completely trust him.

and he would've gotten away with it if not for that meddling veronica ;)

no new episodes until May????

JEDIpartner
02-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah... it's going to be a while 'cos that Sl*ttycat Skanks show is coming. Whee.

JEDIpartner
02-28-2007, 02:56 PM
"This is Crockett and her partner Tubbs..."

I forgot about that line!!!! :D

JediTricks
02-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Okay... so they managed to wrap that up in one episode. It think they did a good job with it considering all the loose ends they needed to tie up. The whole thing was a mess, but it was a mess in the way that I enjoyed it. Lots of personal motives and players in the game. I commend them for doing such a good job finishing up this arc considering the CW didn't give them an opportunity to play it out properly. It seemed a bit choppy and rushed but-- hey, what can you do? When the boss says to get it done-- you've gotta get it done!
Right on the money. I suspected early on that it'd be the TA, but the writers went a different direction and it started to feel less likely. Then in this episode he's the one doing all the finding of stuff and that usually means it's that guy in detective novels - the overly helpful guy - but then they cheated by showing us only part of what was going on with Mrs. O'Dell and Prof Landry on the boat. Still, a good episode, and I'm glad that this time Veronica caught the real killer without the killer trying to murder her or her dad.

I wrote the network in support of the show.

JEDIpartner
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I Did Too!!!!!!

figrin bran
02-28-2007, 09:57 PM
i'll write the CW as well in support of the show.

"This is Crockett and her partner Tubbs..."

I forgot about that line!!!! :D

thanks for reminding me about that line! that one was a real gem on the snark meter

JEDIpartner
03-01-2007, 10:07 AM
i'll write the CW as well in support of the show.

thanks for reminding me about that line! that one was a real gem on the snark meter

They constantly do that. She and her father said they were "Carson Drew and (my) daughter Nancy" a couple episodes back.

JediTricks
03-01-2007, 05:55 PM
The nancy drew ref was my all-time favorite, I think.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
They do that sort of thing on Supernatural as well. I was trying to think of a good one they did recently, but I think I was remembering the Nancy Drew one from Veronica Mars. I was looking at Supernatural episode descriptions on wiki and saw that they used FBI badges with the names Han Solo and Jack Ryan on a recent episode.

JEDIpartner
03-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Niiiiiiiiiice!

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Often they use rock and roll aliases. I found one that I had forgotten about. They posed as U.S. Marshalls named Frank Beard and Billy Gibbons.

JEDIpartner
03-04-2007, 06:28 PM
I remember that!!!!

JEDIpartner
03-16-2007, 08:38 AM
CLICK HERE (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/blog/index.jsp?uuid=6bcc5753-bc66-41f4-8283-131667132231)

I hate American television viewers for another reason now. :whip:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-16-2007, 08:51 AM
CLICK HERE (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/blog/index.jsp?uuid=6bcc5753-bc66-41f4-8283-131667132231)

I hate American television viewers for another reason now. :whip:

I don't watch this show, but I felt a need to chime in: the show has NOT been officially cancelled, but it's definately on the bubble.

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/blog/index.jsp?uuid=75a31622-f0e6-4166-be21-798de6671716

Hope this helps and gives you VM fans hope. :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
03-16-2007, 08:56 AM
The fact that it's not just flat out renewed stinks. It's not like this network actually has many shows with any merit.

JediTricks
03-16-2007, 05:08 PM
That's too bad, nothing there sounds like it'll work for the show if they even decide to keep it.

JEDIpartner
03-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Save Veronica?

CLICK HERE (http://www.eonline.com/polls/full_page_poll.jsp?pollID=6084)

JediTricks
03-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Dang, there's a few shows I would want to save. I voted VM anyway though because it's got so little support out there.

figrin bran
03-24-2007, 12:17 AM
i voted for VM too!

JEDIpartner
03-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Yea!!!!!! :)

figrin bran
05-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Don't forget there's a new episode tonight!

possibly one of the last few we'll ever see :cry:

JEDIpartner
05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I know... and Paul Rudd is in it, I believe! :love:

JediTricks
05-01-2007, 02:06 PM
I'll be watching, though there's WAY too much competition on Tuesdays now.

JEDIpartner
05-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Like... what? :confused:

Mad Slanted Powers
05-01-2007, 09:57 PM
House is on the same time as Veronica Mars, but I haven't watched it. I did like the few episodes I saw on USA last year though, and the previews always look interesting.

JEDIpartner
05-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Oh. "House" is so off my radar.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Last night's episode was good. I liked how Keith told those deputies to walk. He set them up good.

JediTricks
05-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Like... what? :confused:House, The Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, and most importantly, Dancing with the Stars - which is a ratings juggernaut. House and Dancing are 2 heavy hitters, and L&O:CI and The Unit don't do too badly either, so VM is bound to get lost in the shuffle - and stupid CW isn't doing weekend repeats anymore so you HAVE to choose.

I liked last night's episode, I don't mind the lack of story arc here, but I felt like the mystery got wrapped up a little early so they could get to the emotional drama which felt a little cheaper than before.

figrin bran
05-02-2007, 09:45 PM
just a "little cheaper"??? i started losing interest during the birthday party scenes. then again, this is the CW we must remember...

JediTricks
05-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Sadly, just a little cheaper because they had been slipping bad down that teen soap path the last 2 seasons.

JEDIpartner
05-03-2007, 08:30 AM
I liked the hate crime angle. As far as a single episode sleuther, I thought it was fine. I liked the way they handled it. Given the current climate and educational level of our country, it was a rather daring subject to tackle. I'll save that for a Rancor Pit topic sometime.

JediTricks
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM
I would not expect them to be shy about politics, VM just doesn't seem like the kind of character who could hold her tongue when such issues arose.

JediTricks
05-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Stupid KTLA channel 5 here preempted programming for coverage of the Griffith Park fire, so I missed it! Hell, I'm only a mile from the fire and I didn't need to see that much info!

Luckily, it's being rebroadcast this Saturday at 9pm, there was a banner on the KTLA website about that.

figrin bran
05-09-2007, 09:35 PM
well if it makes you feel any better, i missed it as well, JT. it's one time that i'm glad i live in los feliz adjacent :p

JEDIpartner
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
It's on my DVR waiting to be seen!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-10-2007, 02:34 PM
saw this and figured it might interest you folks:

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-veronicamarsseason4goodprospects,0,7417680.story?c oll=zap-tv-headlines

cheers! :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
05-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks!!!

Okay... for stand alone mysteries, that wasn't too bad. I'm really enjoying the inclusion of Mac in the last couple episodes. I'm rather happy that the entire group has actually been featured more in the last couple episodes. I enjoy them.

figrin bran
05-12-2007, 11:30 PM
i just read about this in Toyfare today

Veronica Mars collectibles:http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/toyfare/004370095.cfm

they're not very good likenesses if you ask me

JEDIpartner
05-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Oh, my... the "regular" version of Veronica looks like Maureen McCormick!!! :eek:

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Tonight's ep was an interesting one. VM taking her PI exam was a surprise, left-field, and then her first case and she breaks half the important rules. The main story was very good and a nice twist at the end. The secondary story was alright, but it was really amazing to see Dick actually do some real character-building for a scene (and a half if you count the choice he makes at the end).

Next week is the season finale, a 2-hour episode, but I didn't notice what it'd be about. I just hope Keith stays the sheriff.

well if it makes you feel any better, i missed it as well, JT. it's one time that i'm glad i live in los feliz adjacent :pThat little "adjacent" makes you feel safe until you realize who your neighbors are in that area south of Hollywood blvd. :D

saw this and figured it might interest you folks:

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-veronicamarsseason4goodprospects,0,7417680.story?c oll=zap-tv-headlines

cheers! :thumbsup:Wow, I hope that comes to pass, I love the character and want the series to continue. Maybe they're figuring out that the teen soap opera stuff isn't drawing audiences anymore but fanboys are still digging the girl detective stuff. Go CW!

i just read about this in Toyfare today

Veronica Mars collectibles:http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/toyfare/004370095.cfm

they're not very good likenesses if you ask meYikes! The face on Logan isn't entirely awful, but VM is totally unrecognizable. I call a do-over!

JEDIpartner
05-16-2007, 08:26 AM
I enjoyed last night's episode quite a bit. I was really surprised to see that they were actually bringing a real cause to light and not a fictional one. Very cool. Wallace signing up for the Invisible Children programme was a way to spin him out of the storyline should the show continue 4 years forward.

Anyhow, the episode proved that this is not a teen drama and CW really needs to figure out what they are going to do as a network. Those vapid CWH spots they recently started running are so annoying and it brings the intelligence level way down for me. I mean, VM is a smart show. That is not what you advertise during a quality hour of television.

It seems that VM is neither renewed nor cancelled at this point. I'm crossing my fingers...

figrin bran
05-16-2007, 11:00 AM
I enjoyed last night's episode quite a bit. I was really surprised to see that they were actually bringing a real cause to light and not a fictional one. Very cool. Wallace signing up for the Invisible Children programme was a way to spin him out of the storyline should the show continue 4 years forward.

Anyhow, the episode proved that this is not a teen drama and CW really needs to figure out what they are going to do as a network. Those vapid CWH spots they recently started running are so annoying and it brings the intelligence level way down for me. I mean, VM is a smart show. That is not what you advertise during a quality hour of television.

It seems that VM is neither renewed nor cancelled at this point. I'm crossing my fingers...

similarly, Veronica getting into the FBI Internship program should be a way for them to spring the show ahead a few years. and i thought BSG jumping ahead a year was a lot...then again, how many more frat house rape episodes can we possibly watch

JT, you just HAD to mention that South of Hollywood Blvd. area, didn't you? ;)

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Anyhow, the episode proved that this is not a teen drama and CW really needs to figure out what they are going to do as a network. Those vapid CWH spots they recently started running are so annoying and it brings the intelligence level way down for me. I mean, VM is a smart show. That is not what you advertise during a quality hour of television.Oh man, I walked out of the room just as that CWH thing started and came back just as it ended and was stunned how stupid it was. They did they a similar thing a few months back with Erie or something like that. I guess they figured since VM and Gilmore Girls both had women in the starring roles, they should advertise in the sloppiest way to women.

similarly, Veronica getting into the FBI Internship program should be a way for them to spring the show ahead a few years. and i thought BSG jumping ahead a year was a lot...then again, how many more frat house rape episodes can we possibly watchTo be honest, I think we could all look at VM's current show and see what 3 more years of college life would be like for her, it'd be all the same girl-detective stuff, and jumping ahead doesn't feel unnatural to me, we've seen her as a high school kid and then a little more grown up as a college kid, we can extrapolate from that what life for her is like. Up next will be an FBI student always getting in trouble for taking cases outside of FBI school, but the cases will be more gritty.

JT, you just HAD to mention that South of Hollywood Blvd. area, didn't you? ;)Heh heh, I totally did. :p

figrin bran
05-17-2007, 02:05 AM
To be honest, I think we could all look at VM's current show and see what 3 more years of college life would be like for her, it'd be all the same girl-detective stuff, and jumping ahead doesn't feel unnatural to me, we've seen her as a high school kid and then a little more grown up as a college kid, we can extrapolate from that what life for her is like. Up next will be an FBI student always getting in trouble for taking cases outside of FBI school, but the cases will be more gritty.

i know it didn't really come across as such but i'm actually in favor of seeing VM in the FBI academy. she didn't really fit in in high school or college and will probably be one of the younger FBI students so that sort of outsider/maverick dynamic will stay intact.

i imagine that one plot point of the finale will revolve around exposing Van Low's conflict of interest connection to the security company

and as for Los Feliz adjacent, when you've lived here as long as i have, you learn to identify the invisible force field barriers that warn you from entering areas that perhaps you shouldn't ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-17-2007, 11:43 PM
http://www.tv.com/story/9560.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=news&tag=headlines;title;1

Show was NOT on the CW fall schedule.

From the article:

Kristen Bell fans shouldn't storm the CW's corporate office yet. Though Veronica Mars isn't on the schedule, The Hollywood Reporter says a final decision on the show may not happen until next month

Sorry folks. :(

JEDIpartner
05-18-2007, 09:14 AM
GAHHHHHH!!!! They're killing me!!

JediTricks
05-18-2007, 10:29 PM
i know it didn't really come across as such but i'm actually in favor of seeing VM in the FBI academy. she didn't really fit in in high school or college and will probably be one of the younger FBI students so that sort of outsider/maverick dynamic will stay intact.

i imagine that one plot point of the finale will revolve around exposing Van Low's conflict of interest connection to the security companyIt all sounds good to me!

and as for Los Feliz adjacent, when you've lived here as long as i have, you learn to identify the invisible force field barriers that warn you from entering areas that perhaps you shouldn't ;)Says the man living near the freaky Silver Lake. :p

http://www.tv.com/story/9560.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=news&tag=headlines;title;1

Show was NOT on the CW fall schedule.
MUCHO SUCKO!!! I hate this network more and more.

figrin bran
05-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Says the man living near the freaky Silver Lake. :p

ya have somethin' against reservoirs??? it's only freaky if you jog along there at night. and for the record, i'm silver lake adjacent as well :p

JediTricks
05-19-2007, 04:19 PM
I was speaking of the neighborhood, not the water-hole with the dog poopery.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Okay... it's officially over. :(

JediTricks
05-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Damn, that sucks, way to blow it CW.

JEDIpartner
05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah. Did you see the piece of crap that is filling its time-slot? It's some stupid show about marrying a farmer. I think it's another "reality" programme. Lovely.

JEDIpartner
05-23-2007, 07:17 AM
It pretty much ended the way it started. The Mars family was in an iffy place and the Keith's future was iffy. I guess I'm satisfied with how they had to wrap it up. I'm glad the ending wasn't wholly upbeat. I was glad to see the return of Jake Kane in some fashion. It would've been nice to see Backup one last time. It's like they only had that dog every now and then. LOL

JediTricks
05-24-2007, 01:56 AM
I tend to ignore everything the CW does, but marrying a Farmer? How did they know exactly what I was looking for? I'm THERE! :rolleyes:

I didn't really care for the season finale eps, they weren't bad exactly and they had some strong moments, but they were way too mean to the main characters and general people we've grown to like, and that ending was a real downer. Jake Kane was a good surprise, I thought VM could have used it against him a lot more effectively though.

JEDIpartner
05-26-2007, 08:33 AM
I'll get season three on DVD. I only hope that the 10 minute VM2.0 pitch that they filmed for the CW is included as an extra!

JediTricks
06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah, that'd be good. Keep us informed on the dvd front.

JEDIpartner
06-05-2007, 08:22 AM
It appears that the 10-minute pitch will be included on the season 3 DVD!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

JEDIpartner
06-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Help save Veronica Mars!
Date : June 9, 2007 Posted By : Clint Morris

You all know how I feel about "Veronica Mars (http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070609_help_save_veronica_mars.html#)"... and I'm sure at least half of you feel the same. So time to put our fondness for the show to good use... and save it!

Veronica Mars isn't dead ... at least not quite yet.

Fans from around the world have been campaigning for weeks and our newest campaign is to buy and send as many mars bars to the head of the CW (http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070609_help_save_veronica_mars.html#) (Dawn Ostroff) as possible!

After some poor soul selling imported mars bars on Amazon woke up to discover that Veronica Mars fans had bought over 600 bars in just over 3 hours, he decided to jump on our bandwagon and is now offering free shipping to the CW building, as well as keeping us actively updated on our campaign. At the time of writing this email, 2204 mars bars have been purchased and and over $500 has been raised to put towards buying even more.

June 15th is the cut off date as we were told this is the date that a "final decision" will be made, so we're doing everything we can until then. A few people that live near the CW building will also be waiting for the delivery vans with cameras (http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070609_help_save_veronica_mars.html#) in hand to capture the moment for Veronica Mars fans from all over the world that have been active in the campaign.

The place where we're buying the mars bars from is - http://theindianfoodstore.com/search.htm?keyword=mars+bar

They have been amazing throughout the whole process.

Their blog (http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070609_help_save_veronica_mars.html#) where they've been keeping us updated with the numbers is - http://www.theindianfoodstore.blogspot.com/

Can you please try to mention this campaign in some way?

Thanks

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070609_hel...onica_mars.html (http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070609_help_save_veronica_mars.html)

JEDIpartner
02-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I LOVE disc six in the season 3 set! Fantastic bits of info about the pitch reel and how it came about!

The script was written in 48 hours. The actors were hired, locations were picked and it was shot within a entire two week period. It looks like it could've been amazing!!! *sigh* Of course the show that replaced VM on the CW has been reported to have gotten lower numbers than VM. That's great old short-sighted America working for you again!

JediTricks
02-07-2008, 09:33 PM
When has the CW ever done anything right?

JEDIpartner
02-11-2008, 11:34 AM
True. I can't believe they are still operating. Yeesh!!

JEDIpartner
01-19-2009, 09:48 AM
I thought I'd gone through my Kristen Bell withdrawal just fine. After Veronica Mars was unceremoniously dumped from the CW line-up, I was pretty much curled up in a fetal position on the floor. Then, I found out she was going to be featured as a recurring character on Heroes. Well, that was until the writers literally lost the plot over the last two seasons. Because of this, I so desperately wanted her to get off that stinker known as Heroes since the start of the current season so she could move on to something better and more worthy of her time. Well, it seems that my prayers have been answered in two ways. One, she's off Heroes and, Two, there's a pretty good possibility that there will be a Veronica Mars film made!

:love:

Rob Thomas Confirms 'Veronica Mars' Movie

THE SKINNY: At the tail end of this winter’s television critic’s event, Rob Thomas, who has resurrected his 1998 TV series CUPID for another go-around on ABC, announced that he’s currently working on a VERONICA MARS feature film (based on his short-lived UPN/CW show), now that his new series order has been reduced from thirteen episodes to eight episodes.

"That means I have time to write the VERONICA MARS movie," he says. "But my writing the movie is half the battle. Someone else has to pay for it. Joel Silver does have a certain pile of money. He called on me saying ‘Can we do this now?’ Kristen wants to do it. Joel wants to do it and I want to do it. For me, that’s the next project."

Although he wouldn’t reveal exactly what the story would be, he did tell iF, "it’s 70 percent broken in my head."

"I’ve been struggling with this one plot point and I’m hopeful to figure that out," he adds. "I watched the final episode of the series a few weeks ago and there were a lot of gaps and the plotting for the original came to me. I mean for the movie, I’m feeling like I’m on the right track now. But I don’t want to give that away yet.

In terms of cast, Thomas says he’s talked with Jason Dohring, Enrico Colantoni and Kristen Bell.

"Obviously," he says with a smile.

And while there were always talks of the character of Veronica Mars ending up at the F.B.I., he says that’s not where the movie will be heading.

"The one thing that I will say is where it will pick up," says Thomas. "I know we did that F.B.I. ‘what if’ thing, but we would not go to that place. I think it would open just days before the Hearst College Graduation. So Veronica would be sort of at the end of her college career.

Rocketboy
01-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Back in early December Rob Thomas said he was stuck with the plot for a VM movie.

Entertainment Weekly has a bit of bad news on the Veronica Mars movie front. Series creator Rob Thomas tells Michael Ausiello that he “hasn’t gotten far” on the movie outline.
“I thought I had the idea broken, but I’ve hit a wall in the final act that I haven’t quite figured out. And with Cupid and Party Down occupying 80 hours a week, and a new baby boy occupying the remaining hours, I haven’t nailed it down. I’m hopeful that I can find the time to figure it out over the Christmas holidays.”
So it sounds like things have changed since then - Thank God!
The canceling of Veronica Mars is one of the biggest tragedies in television. I still get mad when I watch seasons 1-3 because I want more and there isn't any.

Now if we can get some movement on the proposed comic series (ala Dark Horse's Buffy Season 8), I'll be a little happier.

We should be in the middle of Season 5 right now. *sigh*

JEDIpartner
01-19-2009, 10:43 AM
I know!!! I really hope the get this movie and the proposed comic going. This was seriously one of the smartest shows on television!

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I read the news earlier about a movie, and for the life of me, I cannot imagine how a movie would work for it. But I'm down for a continuation of this universe.

JEDIpartner
01-22-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm sure there isn't much of a market for the movie, but I don't care. I'm such a ***** for VM that it isn't even funny!!!

Rocketboy
03-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Ah, dammit!

Is the Veronica Mars Movie Dead? (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/25/is-the-veronica-mars-movie-dead/#more-23248)

Last we heard, Rob Thomas was preparing to pitch his treatment for a Veronica Mars big screen movie to executive producer Joel Silver and Warner Bros. So what’s the update? Do you really want to know? It doesn’t sound good… Thomas tells the New York Post that “while the pitch went well and I don’t think the movie’s dead, right now it’s looking depressing.”

“I think honestly if we would have had the pitch ready a year earlier, it would be a go project. The hope that we would get a quick greenlight didn’t materialize. This is the least optimistic I’ve felt in a while.”

And worse yet, Thomas is already talking about the project in past tense while describing what we might have seen.

"If we were going to do a movie, I would want to put Wallace and Logan and Mac and Weevil in it. We would have picked up just prior to Veronica’s graduation, it would have been the college years.”

I have a feeling that we haven’t heard the last of this project, and eventually things will come together … but will it be too late? How old could Veronica be before the concept just turns into your typical detective mystery? Part of the appeal of the show to me was the unique spin of setting the detective story in the world of High School and College. And as much as fans are craving for another fix, I’m not sure the story of a 30-year-old Veronica Mars might be all that interesting.:frus:

JediTricks
04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
My faith in Rob Thomas is shaken what with his reboot of his '98 dramedy "Cupid". What, he wants to be the first person in history to get a show canceled twice?

JEDIpartner
04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
*sigh* So sad...