PDA

View Full Version : 2006 VOTC w/ George Lucas Stormtrooper-LARGE Carded Pics!

Sith Lord 0498
02-06-2006, 08:11 PM
The much-rumored George Lucas Stormtrooper figure will be attached to the upcoming VOTC line this year.

Check out www.yodasnews.com for the info and HQ carded pics of the five VOTC figures.

Personally, I don't really like the look of them. Luke looks like it harkens back to old POTF2 "He-Man" days. The soft goods on the Tusken Raider and Han Solo Endor Trenchcoat look far too bulky. Greedo looks like the OTC version with a piece of cheap felt for a vest.

The only one that looks remotely decent is the Scout Trooper, and even that figure looks like he visited the local Imperial McDonalds too many times!!

I must say that these VOTC offerings are but a shadow of their former selves.

Devo
02-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Hmm. Based on those pics you're exactly right. I think the very same things you do. But then again - the original VOTC is widely loved and the figures with soft goods looked terrible on card as well. Its only when you take these or any figure from any line out of the boxes and manipulate the cloth that you realise they are actually quality figures (with some exceptions). I for one plan to try DARKLORD's recommendation on how to make soft goods hang more realistically - see the thread by whereisthedefel on the most accurate versions of the OT core characters.

Some observations: Luke's legs look quite widely spaced. His mouth is possibly again sculpted open!!! This could be another chipmunk figure. Han looks like he may have a good likeness. Greedo is as pointless as we all predicted. The Tusken appears to be wearing a miniaturised version of my bathrobe.

Kidhuman
02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I like the Tusken and the Biker scout, the others are meh, which will equal awesome in person.....

DarthBrandon
02-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I'll be buying them all unfortunately, love the cards, love the cards.:D

Devo
02-06-2006, 08:48 PM
I like the Tusken and the Biker scout, the others are meh, which will equal awesome in person.....

Not to say that the Tusken won't be good but how can you 'like' him based on that picture? The bathrobe hides the figure! :grin:

Turbowars
02-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Maybe Side Show should get the 3.75" License as well. I mean the Luke and Scout are the only ones that look pretty good. The coats can be fixed after I get them, but it sure would be nice not to bother. Why is there 3 Star Wars, 2 Jedi and ZERO ESB??

I wont say anything too negative because It might hurt someones feelings.:pleased:

The much-rumored George Lucas Stormtrooper figure will be attached to the upcoming VOTC line this year.

Check out www.yodasnews.com (http://www.yodasnews.com) for the info and HQ carded pics of the five VOTC figures.

Personally, I don't really like the look of them. Luke looks like it harkens back to old POTF2 "He-Man" days. The soft goods on the Tusken Raider and Han Solo Endor Trenchcoat look far too bulky. Greedo looks like the OTC version with a piece of cheap felt for a vest.

The only one that looks remotely decent is the Scout Trooper, and even that figure looks like he visited the local Imperial McDonalds too many times!!

I must say that these VOTC offerings are but a shadow of their former selves.Hey Sith Lord, you should edit the thread title that includes "Large Carded PIC's!!" So more of will see them.

Sith Lord 0498
02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey Sith Lord, you should edit the thread title that includes "Large Carded PIC's!!" So more of will see them.

A good suggestion, but I think only moderators can edit a thread title. Still, I think the George Lucas Stormtrooper mention will grab enough attention. :)

jjreason
02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't know, I must be getting sour in my old age. These all look like figures I've seen before - many times. Everything new is old again (or something like that).

TheDarthVader
02-06-2006, 10:24 PM
I love those cards! The only one I might pass on is Greedo.

B.
TDV

jaxx
02-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Is it just me, or does the VOTC Endor Han look like a repack of the first VOTC Han, but with a big bulky coat on?
Greedo is a waste, and his vest looks like an after thought.
You can't see the Tusken Raider's body.
I think that the only reason I'll get all of them is so I can get the mail away Lucas figure. It would be nice to see what THAT figure would look like!

Jayspawn
02-06-2006, 11:40 PM
I of course do not collect the figures anymore. But I am a Vintage collector still and I have the other 12. So I'll be getting them. And a George Lucas Stormtrooper figure? Hey why not!

Turbowars
02-06-2006, 11:42 PM
I think you are right about the Han rehash. It was one of the good figures in the 1st VOTC, so I can see why it would be the same. I probably will buy 2 sets of these like I did with the 1st series. It's just too bad we have to pay an axtra 5 bucks for some halfass done cloth. I guess the cards and the Lucas figure will be the main selling point for most of us.

jedi master sal
02-07-2006, 02:59 AM
A good suggestion, but I think only moderators can edit a thread title. Still, I think the George Lucas Stormtrooper mention will grab enough attention. :)

Thread title edited...

I think you are right about the Han rehash. It was one of the good figures in the 1st VOTC, so I can see why it would be the same. I probably will buy 2 sets of these like I did with the 1st series. It's just too bad we have to pay an axtra 5 bucks for some halfass done cloth. I guess the cards and the Lucas figure will be the main selling point for most of us.

I'm doing the same thing. Two of each, 1 to open and 1 carded. Once I see how teh Tusken looks under the soft cloth, I might decide to get more. I'll inspect the articulation of the Biker Scout to decie if I want more of this fig too.

Oh BTW, it's "Georgetrooper" for short.

Fluke Skywalker
02-07-2006, 04:23 AM
The picture links only open up about 1/4 of the way for me... All I could make out were the tops of the headers, except on the Greedo one, it went down to his head. I guess the 50 advertising flash movies plus my 56K connection were too much. :sad:

Based on what I saw, Greedo's head sculpt was nothing special... But seriously, who am I kidding, the cards are hook for me anyway.

pug205
02-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Why does Greedo have a cloth vest?! His vest is vinyl!

Bosskman
02-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Haven't seen the pics yet, but blubberlucas as a stormie makes me sick. The stupid toilet swirl hair of the bloated one that necesitates the sculpting of an oversized helmet to contain both it and the swollen head of the menace, that neck fat, oozing out of the top of the armor that gives form to the amorphous mass within.....

LTBasker
02-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Luke- Looks a little too beefy but not bad overall, the helmet looks pretty nice.

Han- Wasn't expecting much so it's not too bad. While paying $10 for the same Han with an extra accessory is disappointing it is at least one of the best VOTC from last time so it's worth it. (I wouldn't be surprised if they did this again with ESB by just giving Han jacketed arms)

Greedo- I think this is definitely the definitive Greedo as they actually got how the costume looked on screen. It wasn't like a wet suit or tight leather. The only thing wrong is the vest, as pointed out it was pointless to do the fabric vest because the vest was actually vinyl-ish. I'm sure we'll see this Greedo released in a year or two with a plastic vest.

Biker Scout- Almost perfect. What they're getting wrong is the head, not the body. The head is from the slimmer POTJ Biker Scout, which is smaller than it should've been and inaccurate. This creates messed up proportions and makes the body look too beefy. It's sad they're recycling the head instead of creating a more accurate helmet.

Tusken Raider- From what we can see it doesn't look too bad, just I'm definitely getting rid of the bath robe on any that I get to open.

I dunno about the idea of George in Stormtrooper armor, but hopefully it doesn't take alot of stuff to send in for it.

JEDIpartner
02-07-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't think the Han is the same. The collar looks different as does the hair. Greedo, as I had expected, is a disappointment. The Tusken Raider is not too bad but looks a bit bulky. Luke... Man-- he's been working out again!!

Here are some pics that should load up a little faster for you. If you hold the cursor over them, it will allow you to enlarge the picture. The Han figure is DEFINITELY NOT the same figure but with a coat accessory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/tushunt.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/tushunt.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/bikerhunt.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/bikerhunt.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/lukehunt.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/lukehunt.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/hanhunt.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/hanhunt.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/greedohunt. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/greedohunt.jpg)jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars%20Toys/greedohunt.jpg)

LTBasker
02-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Those two things could have been retooled one it, but I dunno. It was mentioned I think on Rebelscum's 411 that Han would be a reuse, so guess we'll just have to wait and see.

El Chuxter
02-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Greedo looks to be the best of the bunch, and he's still pretty meh.

AmanaMatt
02-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Overall, a very disappointing look to them...I agree with much of what has been said.

Luke and Scout Trooper are the standouts, and even they are not perfect...the recycling is getting old - the Biker Scout should have been all new, especially when these are double the price. Luke does seem a bit buff.

Biggest letdown: Tusken - what were they thinking with that cloth? Awful.

Darth Cruel
02-07-2006, 12:08 PM
The thing I dislike the most is Greedo's hands. But they never were very good for sculpting to hold weapons and still look good. I don't think anything better could have been done with them.

The Tusken Raider coming with both the Gaffi stick and the rifle is a nice little surprise.

They are all pretty nice to me. Definitely improvements over most of the regular line. I will be getting all of them and some to open to get the George figure. I like the "hidden George" figures and I hope they do one as a Jedi Knight like the one-of-a-kind 12" that Kenner did for him in the 70's. But I don't like these enough to have them loose in my display so my son will be benefitted these.

AmanaMatt
02-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I do hope that most of these will seem much nicer out of card when you can pose them, than in - especially that Tusken - I will probably darken the cloth a bit more the age it, and it should look cool.

The Greedo will definitely be getting the plastic vest from my current one -

I will wait to see Luke loose, but so far, he is my fav - the Biker Scout seems almost perfect, aside from the reused head.

Slicker
02-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I like 'em all mainly because of the vintage feel. It would've been neat if they had put Luke's helmet in a little bubble separate from the figure much like the POTF Luke Stormtrooper.

JediTricks
02-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Luke looks like it harkens back to old POTF2 "He-Man" days.I think Luke could be a positional issue, I'm going to "wait and see" on him.

The soft goods on the Tusken Raider and Han Solo Endor Trenchcoat look far too bulky.The Tusken Raider looks like he's wrapped in gauze, burn-victim Sand People. Han to me looks like it might fit him and the package is just causing it to ride up higher.

Greedo looks like the OTC version with a piece of cheap felt for a vest.I'm not sure about that, the hands appear to be identical, but I think the body is new and the head might be new or the '99 version, either way it looks too big and long-mouthed.

The only one that looks remotely decent is the Scout Trooper, and even that figure looks like he visited the local Imperial McDonalds too many times!!I think he looks ok, the last version was WAY too skinny. He could be iffy, the sculpting looks a little soft to me, but I think he'll work out.

I must say that these VOTC offerings are but a shadow of their former selves.I disagree, I think they're on par with the VOTC, the VOTC were overrated to begin with, they were good but not fantastic.

Is it just me, or does the VOTC Endor Han look like a repack of the first VOTC Han, but with a big bulky coat on?I think it's the same head with a new paintjob, not the same upper body though (can't judge the waist or legs yet).

And a George Lucas Stormtrooper figure? Hey why not!The question should be "why?!?" ;)

It's just too bad we have to pay an axtra 5 bucks for some halfass done cloth.I hope it's only $3 more now that the basics are $7, $10 was too much IMO for the original VOTC so these VTSC (which is much harder to type) better not be more than that.

Why does Greedo have a cloth vest?! His vest is vinyl!You are totally right! In the movie, his vest isn't even remotely cloth-like, this was a mega-odd choice on Hasbro's part.

I don't think the Han is the same. The collar looks different as does the hair.The Han head is the same I think, just a different paintjob but the same shape, but the body is definitely different, the shirt was open on the VOTC Han and the shirtsleeves were sculpted much higher up on that figure. BTW, thanks for mirroring the pics, Yodanews still gets their pictures out there this way even though their site is down, their logo is right there on the photos.

vadersvette
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
From these pics, I like the Scout the best. A little buff, but it may jusyt be the angle of the picture.
Luke may be nice, but the pic makes him look like a Galactic Hero or Attactix figure.
I'll definately get Han--since I have a carded original one--and they'll look nice together.
Tuskin-wait and see
and who else is there-what's his name-oh yeah Greedo:rolleyes:
to describe him in one word: "Meh."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, I'm a little disappointed with these. They don't even look good for basic figures, let alone VOTC.

It kind of looks like the Tusken has the POTJ/Saga with Massiff/OTC head. His robe is stupid as hell, and I bet he looks like junk under it too.

Luke's head is a reuse either the other VOTC, or something. His joints are way too big, but hopefully he'll be better out of the package.

Greedo's face is too long and his eyes are too close together. The Commtech one was much better.

Han's vest is a little big, but I'll wait and see. They better at least have painted his legs brown, though it does seem like it's at least somewhat new.

The Scout's head sucks ***, and I hate how some of him is white and some is yellow.

How much you wanna bet the Lucas will be Jorg Sacul's head on a POTF2 Luke Stormtrooper's body?

JediTricks
02-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Luke's head is a reuse either the other VOTC, or something.Yeah, absolutely it's the same VOTC Luke ANH head, just with darker paint. I still don't like the eyes or eyebrows or hair or jawline on it too much, but it does have the nose, mouth, and chin right.

BlueSnags
02-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I'll be buying these for the packaging and the Lucas figure, but I"m very disappointed in these figures. They all look much worse than I imagined. The price is going up as well, at least at Target it will be ($11.99 each in the Target computer system).

Rogue II
02-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Seeing the soft goods from this line has stopped me from asking for soft goods on further figures other than simple things like Vader's cape. On the good side, it appears as if the Tusken Raider comes with the stick and a rifle.

If they gave the Scout Trooper the right kind of articulation in his arms and legs, do you think he'd be able to fit on the existing speeder bike? The Scout, Luke, and maybe the Tusken Raider are the only 3 that really interest me. Greedo isn't much of an upgrade from past Greedos.

Would they have to mod the Stormtrooper helmet to contain George's beard?

maatu
02-07-2006, 06:26 PM
wow, i didn't know someone blew the pictures up better than what i saw earlier. luke looks pretty cool. han is a new figure .also luke. But the han face looks like he got hit with a book in the face and his nose is permanently smashed from the picture.i am pretty impressed. don't really care about george lucas storm trooper. could they make han solo and luke skywalker in storm trooper gear in votc style.

bobafrett
02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
$12 bucks for those? God do I hope I find them cheaper at Wal-Mart. Otherwise I will pass on these. I do like the line, but with the first group that had that cheap C-3PO in with it, I can see Hasbro pulling another cheap figure in the group. That 3PO almost made me give up on Hasbro I was so angry when I opened it up, and if they pull that crap again, I will no longer collect Hasbro toys.

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Meh, do what I did, stick em on lay-a-way over and over until they hit clearance, then get them for 3 bucks a pop.....

figrin bran
02-08-2006, 01:50 AM
me figrin a zombie

hasbro my master

me buy luke and greedo and han and biker scout and tusken

:p

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 01:57 AM
After the payday you got from winning the fantasy football league, you can afford them. :p :beard:

figrin bran
02-08-2006, 02:08 AM
hmmmm???? me not receive any money??? me want check! me want check!

me think kidhuman keep money for himself! kidhuman bad commissioner! :p

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 02:54 AM
I sent it to Turbo, he said he would give it to you, I swear!!!!!

JEDIpartner
02-08-2006, 09:57 AM
The Han head is the same I think, just a different paintjob but the same shape, but the body is definitely different, the shirt was open on the VOTC Han and the shirtsleeves were sculpted much higher up on that figure. BTW, thanks for mirroring the pics, Yodanews still gets their pictures out there this way even though their site is down, their logo is right there on the photos.

I could see them reusing the head. It was a good sculpt. I know that the torso and arms are different and agree with your observations.

I had a hard time pulling those pictures so I figured I would just throw them in my photobucket account and you guys could get to them that way.

Cheers!

LTBasker
02-08-2006, 10:26 AM
If they gave the Scout Trooper the right kind of articulation in his arms and legs, do you think he'd be able to fit on the existing speeder bike?

The 'right' articulation would have to be ball-jointed hips like the AT-TE Gunner unless his legs will have enough space between them to clear the sides of the speederbike, but it's unlikely. I can't see them really thinking to install ball-jointed hips since they haven't caught on to the fact they have a speederbike that is perfect for the OT with slight retooling. And stiffer plastics. :frus:

TheDarthVader
02-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Some observations: Luke's legs look quite widely spaced. His mouth is possibly again sculpted open.

No way. His mouth is closed this time. You can tell from the picture. Much better face sculpt on this one compared with the POTJ pilot luke.

I can't wait to see some pictures of that Lucas figure! :D I'll bet he'll have a removeable helmet!

B.
TDV

DarkArtist
02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Overall not bad, the only one I'm not too crazy about is the Tuskan Raider, but I also feel he was a poor decision for this line to begin with. Will defiantly be picking up about 5 of the Biker scot and the Luke. Always need extra's for customizing, and the scout trooper might make a great Barc Trooper Custom.

Bacta Beast
02-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Ohmygoawdohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd!!!!!!!!!:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Darth Cruel
02-08-2006, 04:16 PM
The Scout's head sucks ***, and I hate how some of him is white and some is yellow.

I thought the same thing of the color until I looked closely at the picture. They actually have it correct as the more white areas ar armor and the less white areas are cloth parts of his uniform and are thusly colored. It turns out to be very good attention to detail instead.

vadersvette
02-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Uh...Yeah...why is Luke carrying Darth Vader's saber on his belt? Take a look...

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Because Luke mugged him on Yavin 4.

Fluke Skywalker
02-09-2006, 04:49 AM
Many thanks for hosting those pics JEDIpartnr! They loaded up for me this time.

What is it with the VOTC line and soft goods? They're so... poofy. Is Cosmo Kramer working for Hasbro now?

Luke- Looks great! Bendable elbows... bendable elbows!

Biker scout - Has he been hanging out at the Endor BLACO?

Greedo - OK, save for the fabric swatch he calls a vest.

Han Endor - An odd choice here to begin with. The cloak does nothing for him, save make him look like he should be hanging around outside a XXX movie house.

Tusken raider - Is there a figure under all that cloth? Um, Mr. Tusken, Hugh Heffner called and he wants his robe back.

JEDIpartner
02-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Uh...Yeah...why is Luke carrying Darth Vader's saber on his belt? Take a look...

I'm going to guess it was the lightsaber that looked closest to the one that he used and they didn't feel like sculpting another handle with a peg OR... they just got stupid. Since POTJ Kenobi had the Luke saber with the peg, I'd go with "stupid".

vadersvette
02-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Because Luke mugged him on Yavin 4.
:D lol :D So that's what Lucas has in store for the Star Wars Trilogy Super Special Edition v.2.0:whip: Maybe he'll make a cameo appearance as the Stormtrooper as well. Only time will tell...:D

Darth Cruel
02-09-2006, 03:02 PM

Actually, Vader dropped it on Hoth, and Luke was just going to The Cloud City to return it to him when all Hell broke loose.

bigbarada
02-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I've always liked that POTJ Biker Scout with the exception of two things:

1. his silly pose that made him look like he was singing in an opera.

2. his lack of articulation

I'm a little disappointed that Hasbro decided to rehash the head (so does this mean no ball-joint for the neck? :sad: ); but I am still looking forward to getting this figure anyway.

LTBasker
02-09-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm guessing so Barada, unless they gutted out the head to give it a ball joint.

About the Biker Scout's body girth, heres the best reference I could find to show that the Scouts didn't exactly look like the string-bean vintage version.

http://multimedia.theforce.net/museum/images/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Imperial/Biker_Scouts/biker-5.jpg

While it's not a full body standing up shot, you can still tell he's got some large proportions, I'm thinking mostly due to the armor.

The helmet on the VOTC still sucks though. :p

Battle Droid
02-10-2006, 03:27 PM
George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise!

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/hasbro/img/20060210_lucastrooper_bg.jpg

BlueSnags
02-10-2006, 03:45 PM
George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise!

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/hasbro/img/20060210_lucastrooper_bg.jpg
That figure actually looks pretty darn cool.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
02-10-2006, 03:46 PM
That's actually a nice looking Lucas head. Doesn't look to be a rehash. Interesting.

jedi master sal
02-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Ah, finally the first picture of the famed "Georgetrooper"!

Same fig as VOTC Stormie, but with a different head and a hollow helmet. Okay, I'll bite. I as going to get 2 sets anyway. One to open and one carded.

Not exciting, but not bad either. Just Meh, IMO.
-Sal

Jayspawn
02-10-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm sold. And its an old-school George in Stormtrooper Disguise.

"Georgetrooper" - I like that!

Lord Malakite
02-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Ah, finally the first picture of the famed "Georgetrooper"!

Same fig as VOTC Stormie, but with a different head and a hollow helmet. Okay, I'll bite. I as going to get 2 sets anyway. One to open and one carded.

Not exciting, but not bad either. Just Meh, IMO.

At least its a new head. I would of guessed one of the old Stormtrooper bodies/arms/legs we already got (which the VOTC Stormie is) with the Jorg Sacul head and a hollow Stormie helmet (also possibly from one of the old Luke/Han Stormies-if those would have fit).

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 05:20 PM
I can't believe they're using the POTF2 CTC Stormtrooper body for this, I'm buying 5 VTSC figs to get a basic figure body? Yeah, the head is nice:
http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/news/starwars/87069.jpg
But it's not the only thing we're buying. Oh well, it's a mail-in, whatcha gonna do?

BTW Blue Snags, your quoted URL caused the page to stretch, so I edited your post.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-10-2006, 06:08 PM
I really like the look of this Lucas! I was expecing much less. The neck is a little skinny (even for a 70s-era George), but it's still cool.

Slicker
02-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I like how it looks like a young G.Lu. instead of his plump normal self.

BoShek
02-10-2006, 06:22 PM
So I have to buy all five of them to get George Lucas? That's sad.

BlueSnags
02-10-2006, 11:21 PM
The case is now up on EE. Just pre-ordered it.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS87129A

The case is evenly packed, with two of each figure (10 figures total).

It's also up at SWS.com for $114 + shipping.

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=104816;category_id=336;pcid 1=;pcid2

Slicker
02-10-2006, 11:23 PM
After looking at the EE pics one thing that I don't like about them is all of the stickers covering the front of it up. Couldn't they have put them on the back of the clamshell?

JediTricks
02-12-2006, 05:28 AM
That wouldn't have advertised the product to the customers that way, they want it to be in the potential casual customers' faces when they first see it on the peg (shoulda made it more colorful if that's the case though). The VOTC line had a similar thing with the warning stickers, luckily you could open the clamshell, easily peel off the warning sticker, replace it on the back if you wanted, and close it back up looking just as perfect.

vadersvette
02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Just wondering (a stupid question) Do you have to buy all five or any combo of five to get George. I'm thinking about passing on Greedo, and picking up an extra Scout. Anyone know?

Turbowars
02-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Just wondering (a stupid question) Do you have to buy all five or any combo of five to get George. I'm thinking about passing on Greedo, and picking up an extra Scout. Anyone know?Since the VOTC will have all the same UPC #'s, it will not matter if you buy one of each or all 5 Scouts.

bigbarada
02-12-2006, 11:18 PM
The wierdest thing about this assortment is that there is only five figures and not a single one from ESB. Couldn't they have rounded it up to six figures and made two from each film?

MInd you, I'm not complaining at all about the two ROTJ choices we got. I just think it would have been cool to have a couple of ESB figures as well (maybe a resculpted Hoth Leia and a "pristine" Bespin Luke- not the battle damaged ones we keep getting).

Of course, those aren't the most exciting of choices, but then again, neither is Greedo who's only been off the shelves for a little over a year.

Out of the 29 figures released for ESB in 1980-82, just about all have had a recent version made. The only figures that haven't had a new version in the last six years are: 2-1B, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, Ugnaught, Hoth Leia, and the black Bespin Guard (I know I'm forgetting somebody). Nobody that fans have really been clamoring for, so that could be why there aren't any ESB figures in the new assortment.

Maybe a soft-goods Snowtrooper?

Kidhuman
02-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Lando hasnt had an ESB figure since the POTJ version of him.

bigbarada
02-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Lando hasnt had an ESB figure since the POTJ version of him.

I think you've forgotten about the VOTC Lando.

Pretty good figure, even better pegwarmer (I think there are still about ten of them that have been sitting on the rack at the Las Cruces TRU for the last year and a half).

Kidhuman
02-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Yes I did, completely forgot about it. I dont have em warmong around here to remind me though. I believe the last of them were redone in the OTC wave(Leia,Lobot, CCP) I think you got em all in your post up there.

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 04:28 AM
Since the VOTC will have all the same UPC #'s, it will not matter if you buy one of each or all 5 Scouts.
What makes you think that? The VOTC had individual UPC #s and their names are printed right underneath, why wouldn't the VTSC?

Here's what Hasbro's info says about this so far:
"By sending in the proof-of-purchase stickers found inside each of these five different vintage figures, plus shipping and handling, fans will receive their very own George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise vintage-style figure."
Notice that it says "found inside EACH of these 5 different figs", I think that suggests you gotta get each figure to get Lucas.

A VOTC Snowtrooper would be nice, there really isn't a good one in the modern line, the POTF2 one is adequate I guess but not as nice as figures from even 7 years ago. And new Snowtrooper figs have been worse in some ways than the POTF2 version.

Devo
02-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Why didn't we all think of referring to it as VTSC (or VSC) sooner? Its obvious - Original Trilogy Collection/ Vintage Original Trilogy Collection - The Saga Collection - Vintage (The) Saga Collection

Or has everyone been calling it by this name for ages and I'm just not very observant...:sleeping:

Slicker
02-13-2006, 06:35 AM
That is very surprising about the ESB figs not being included. I've long thought that the vintage ESB figures had the best card backs amont all of the vintage lines.

As for figures from ESB that haven't been made of late I think they haven't done a Luke Hoth lately and as for Hoth Leia they made one in the POTJ line and I hope that wasn't 6 years ago or I've been doing this far too long.

Devo
02-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Slicker, there was a Basic carded Hoth Luke in 2003. Good sculpt but too scene specific to be 'definitive'. So we do need another. However since they were putting out an ANH X-wing Luke they would have more likely chosen to do an ESB Leia figure (since they aren't doing an ANH or ROTJ Leia). In which case an SA Hoth Leia would have been the choice. Also the POTJ Leia you might be thinking of was the Bespin Escape figure, not a Hoth one.

Overall the VTSC is a strange lineup considering what went before. VOTC had 4 figures from each film and no character repeated. VTSC has 3 figures from one film (ANH) and 2 from another film (ROTJ).

A) Why no ESB representatives?
B) Why are the numbers not equalised either with the number of figs produced in VOTC or with the numbers of figs being produced for each film this time?

If VTSC was to be consistent with VOTC I'd have had it like this:

ANH: Luke X-wing, Tusken Raider, Greedo (if they insist), Death Star Trooper (AKA Star Destroyer commander)
ESB: Leia Hoth, snowtrooper, black Bespin Security Guard* , 4-LOM
ROTJ: Han Endor, Scout Trooper, Weequay, The Emperor (partial soft goods)

*though my real preferance would be the Hoth rebel commander or Hoth soldier - I picked the bespin guard because that would otherwise be 3 hoth figures for ESB leaving only one figure place for other parts of the film.

Why? to be consistent with the apparent criteria of the VOTC choices without repeating certain figures from VOTC such as Vader, Chewbacca, R2, Threepio and Fett who would likely be mere repaints regardless of which film they would represent. There is at least one core character for each film, at least one troop builder for each film and at least one character from each film who is more obscure. Furthermore they were all previously made in the Vintage line and could do with SA updating.

Under one banner or another, be it Evolutions or Vintage ?? collection the following core characters cry out for better treatment.

TPM:

Obi-wan Kenobi
Qui-Gon Jinn

AOTC:

Obi-wan Kenobi
Mace Windu
Yoda
Jango fett
Padme Geonosis

ROTS:

Mace Windu
Yoda
Emperor Palpatine (senate duel)
General Grievous

ANH:

Ben Kenobi (I want hood down, plastic robes and a neutral pose)

ESB:

Han Hoth gear (hood down, neutral posing, SA)
Leia hoth
Luke hoth
Luke Bespin
Han Bespin
Leia Bespin escape (the POTJ one is brilliant, but this one needs SA)

ROTJ:

Luke Jabbas palace (ball joints please, all except head of course)
Luke death star duel (Likewise, my god Hasbro whats the hold-up??)
Luke Endor
Leia Endor
The Emperor (to forever expunge the saga POS from existence but please partial soft goods only)

As for non core characters from the vintage line:

Snowtrooper
Hoth Rebel soldier - why can't these two be done properly???

Jargo
02-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Is it me or does Luke look impossibly small? or is he correctly scaled and the other figures are 105% tooling samples? I mean i know Hamill is short but that Luke looks almost child sized. His head only reaches Han and Greedo's shoulders.

I like greedo's holster. I suppose i could take the vest off the cantina bar section greedo and shove it on this one instead of the cloth goods.

Actually thinking about greedo, considering that Wuher screamed at ben and Evazan "No blasters!" How come he failed to notice greedo's shooter pointed at Han? All the booths in the cantina face the bar and the central section of bar is just pipes and you can see through. there's no way Wuher would have missed that. In fact why didn't he have a leave your firearms at the door policy huh? makes no sense to me. Stoopid Lucas. lol

jedi master sal
02-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Is it me or does Luke look impossibly small? or is he correctly scaled and the other figures are 105% tooling samples? I mean i know Hamill is short but that Luke looks almost child sized. His head only reaches Han and Greedo's shoulders.

I like greedo's holster. I suppose i could take the vest off the cantina bar section greedo and shove it on this one instead of the cloth goods.

Actually thinking about greedo, considering that Wuher screamed at ben and Evazan "No blasters!" How come he failed to notice greedo's shooter pointed at Han? All the booths in the cantina face the bar and the central section of bar is just pipes and you can see through. there's no way Wuher would have missed that. In fact why didn't he have a leave your firearms at the door policy huh? makes no sense to me. Stoopid Lucas. lol

Ah this can be answered if you take EU into account.

Wuhrer knew Solo was a better shot and probably saw Han's blaster under the table. Knowing he could make a strong concoction of a drink from a Rodian body, he allowed Solo to blast him, then readily scooped up Greedo's body for the Rodian drink experiment.

Really, read it. The story is out there that he (Wuhrer) took greedo's body and made a drink of it for Jabba. (though I can't remember which book it is from, it's likely "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina")
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553564684/102-9205813-6521717?v=glance&n=283155

-Sal

Jargo
02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Sadly i've read that explanation before in the SW dictionary by Steve sansweet. But i refuse to accept the EU as far as is humanly possible. I'll grudgingly accept certain names because it's more convenient and gives us a universal descript rather than 'that guy in the cantina with the waistcoat third from left as so and so passes by'.
Also, another continuity error, you see the band playing in a booth yet when you get a general view of the cantina the band are nowhere to be seen. yet they're still playing. And as they fill the entire booth front you should be able to see them from the rest of the cantina.

mmm. anyway. I'd like a new cantina band member figure. with articulation galore in the arms. ball jointed neck, universal jointed waist, and knee joints. Ditch that stupid poncho thing the old figure had and give whichever one it is a proper sit down organ. Then pack em in a window box and sell em as an exclusive that anyone can get hold of. A proper rad set of band members who can really rock out. oh and give them painted accessories too. those green things with the mail in band member were pretty insulting really.
I do like the sculpt on the hands and head of that figure though. But the figure needs updating and releasing more generally.

I am the undisputed king or digression. Yay me!

jedi master sal
02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Ya know EJ, I hadn't thought of the band members in awhile, but you're right. These definitely could use an upgrade and I'd bet they'd sell well. especiallyas an exclusive WHOLE set.
Hopefully a place like TRU would get this before say WM or Target. IMO those two places are VERY undeserving of exclusives, epsecially Target seeing how they like to screw the customer over on price and their policy towards collectors.

-Sal

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 11:57 PM
It's the escalating violence that got Wuher's attention when he yelled "no blasters, no blasters!", there was no such precursor warning to the Greedo thing, they were just sitting quietly off to the side in the dark. Once Han shot Greedo, everybody looked in stunned silence.

vadersvette
02-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Rebelscum's (http://www.rebelscum.com/) got some nice-sized pics of the VTSC.
Luke's chestplate is on sideways. Go figure:rolleyes:

Slicker
02-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Those are definitely not the final sculpts but I really hope the production version of Han keeps the same looking face. I think they've finally gotten close to Harrison's likeness.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-27-2006, 05:58 PM
These look different from the other pics I've seen . . .

I wish the biker scout had articulated ankles, but it's still great.
Han's face is fantastic, and I like the torso articulation. The coat looks really good, but I know it won't in person.
Luke looks really good. His head looks like the Early Bird set one, not the first VOTC one, which is odd. His stupid chestplate is 90 degrees off; I hope they fix it when it comes out.
The Tusken's robe is still way too big, but it looks a little better.

JediTricks
02-27-2006, 07:14 PM
These are almost certainly Hasbro prototype photos, the kind sent out to retailers for advertising purposes, as well as catalog and cardback photos. And even still they can't get that Tusken to hold his gaffi stick without seriously bending it.

AmanaMatt
02-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Well, these pics are cool - under the Reviews section of rebelscum there is a pic of the final Han and his coat is correctly colored - not the solid look as pictured in the proto lineup.....that shot gives me hope that there is a good Tusken fig under that 'soft goods' mess and Greedo will be fantastic (once I do the cloth versus plastic vest switchero)....

figrin bran
02-27-2006, 11:21 PM
i'll definitely get all of them. the tusken's robe, i'll probably just dump it into my extra accessories bin. the soft goods skirt looks pretty good though.

bobafrett
02-28-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm digging the Tusken with the soft goods underneath the oversized bathrobe. What a curved Gaffi stick though.

Devo
02-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Why would they have Luke's chestplate the wrong way up? And it does look sculpted on. Would that be deliberate? If so why? If its a mistake how can it have been made? I don't get it. He looks good otherwise.

The Han likeness doesn't look quite so good in that shot as it did at the show. And once again the ball joint neck results in him looking like a Giraffe. But he's otherwise superb. Even the softgoods look good there, or at least a step up from the toy fair shots.

My opinion on Greedo remains the same. Crap softgoods. Otherwise good but unnecessary.

Scoutie looks cool!!

The Tusken looks a bit better. He might be salvagable after all.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-28-2006, 03:07 PM
And even still they can't get that Tusken to hold his gaffi stick without seriously bending it.

Ha! Didn't even notice...it didn't bend like that in movie!? ;) All I can look at when I look at the tusken is its soft goods, I mean they take up the entire picture and he's floating around in them somewhere heehee.

That han solo looks fantastic, actually all of them look fantastic minus the soft goods on the tusken but I really didn't need another greedo for sure! There are SO many other figures I would have done...but hasbro has it until 2018 so maybe, just maybe well get the entire vintage line like this :thumbsup: Wouldn't that be cool!?

JediTricks
03-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I saw all 5 of these yesterday at a collectors show, they wanted $20 each but I didn't have the scratch. Luke does indeed come with Vader's saber hilt on his hip which is odd. Greedo's vest looks darker and a bit woolier in person. Han looks better in person. The Biker Scout looked "ok" but honestly I don't see him being better than ROTS Clone #41, the sculpt and paint ain't that tight. The Tusken really looks like he's wrapped in gauze in person though, it's weird. All in all, these are on-par with the VOTC, but the VTSC probably won't make quite as much impact because they're "lesser" in a way.

plasticfetish
03-13-2006, 03:26 AM
but the VTSC probably won't make quite as much impact because they're "lesser" in a way.The VOTC were supposed to be a one time thing that "celebrated" the release of the classic trilogy DVD release. (At least that's what they told us.) I'm not sure how they're promoting these... probably something to do with pandering to our supposed obsession with "exclusive", "limited" or "special" release figures. :ermm:

Bacta Beast
03-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Maybe they're just "pandering" to what we want for a change! It's not about us wanting exclusives. It's about us wanting good sculpts, expanded articulation, and retro packaging! The first VOTC line had only these draw backs; 1.C3PO, 2.Obi-Wan, 3.No stands & 4.the higher price tag. This line looks like all the sculpts are good (no 3PO's or Obi-Wans here). The Last I read they're still going to be $9.99, wich isn't too bad considering the price increases on the regular line. So the only problem I have is; stands, Greedo's vest, and will there be enough Biker Scouts to go around!

JediTricks
03-13-2006, 10:09 PM
The VOTC were supposed to be a one time thing that "celebrated" the release of the classic trilogy DVD release. (At least that's what they told us.) I'm not sure how they're promoting these... probably something to do with pandering to our supposed obsession with "exclusive", "limited" or "special" release figures. :ermm:They're UGH baby: "keep collecting our crap and we'll send you a free figure as long as you buy these 5 basic-quality figures at double price AND send a check the cost of another basic to cover shipping! WOO!"

BB, if you think those were VOTC's only problems, you should dig this VTSC line. Personally, I thought there was a lot more problems than that, but I am not going to delve back into that.

Turbowars
03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Check this out guys!!!! At JD a guy bought some of the VOTC figures from E-Bay and has posted pics of them. They all look great. Scout can fit on a Speeder, Han looks great with the coat and his vest is removable! There's also pic's of where Hasbro packed the tabs. I see a problem brewing here. When you see the pic you will see what I'm talking about, can you say easy to steal. Check it out http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10852.msg209182#msg209182

Darth Cruel
03-18-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm not impressed. Well, at least I don't WANT to be impressed. But I am. I am impressed. Actually I am really impressed. I may just be very impressed. Yeah, I AM very impressed. In fact, these may just be the 3 3/4" equivelant of the Sideshow 12" line. I don't think the 3 3/4" figures will ever get much better than this.

As far as the Luke-us in Stormtrooper disguise goes, I'm not impressed. Well...

Turbowars
03-18-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm not impressed. Well, at least I don't WANT to be impressed. But I am. I am impressed. Actually I am really impressed. I may just be very impressed. Yeah, I AM very impressed. In fact, these may just be the 3 3/4" equivelant of the Sideshow 12" line. I don't think the 3 3/4" figures will ever get much better than this.

As far as the Luke-us in Stormtrooper disguise goes, I'm not impressed. Well...I'm impressed that you are not impressed with StormyLucas! It's a lame figures, but a great novelty item at best.

Slicker
03-18-2006, 03:53 PM
That Luke looks awesome and that's also great the the Biker Scout fits on the speeder bike. To be honest I really didn't expect that.

mtriv73
03-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Rebelscum just posted this confirming that we won't have to open the figs to get the stickers, order form, etc.:

UGH Offer: There is an order form in the Luke, and a sticker in EVERY figure. You have to send the order form with all 5 different stickers and a check/MO for $4.95 to recieve the Lucas. The figure will ship from June 30, 2006 - December 31, 2006. All entries must be postmarked by November 30, 2006. You do NOT have to send a reciept or any part of the cardback, like UPC. The order form/stickers are located on the back of the SAGA insert in the clamshell. You do not have to open the figure or cut the card for the offer. The order form and stickers will be easily stolen. :(

Kidhuman
03-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Stolen is an understatement.

Turbowars
03-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Rebelscum just posted this confirming that we won't have to open the figs to get the stickers, order form, etc.:

UGH Offer: There is an order form in the Luke, and a sticker in EVERY figure. You have to send the order form with all 5 different stickers and a check/MO for $4.95 to recieve the Lucas. The figure will ship from June 30, 2006 - December 31, 2006. All entries must be postmarked by November 30, 2006. You do NOT have to send a reciept or any part of the cardback, like UPC. The order form/stickers are located on the back of the SAGA insert in the clamshell. You do not have to open the figure or cut the card for the offer. The order form and stickers will be easily stolen. :(Yeap I posted the link above about this issue. It's good and bad that they have done it like this. It's good for the collector that doesn't want to open, but bad for people trying to find them at retail.