PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta

JediTricks
02-08-2006, 03:30 PM
During the Super Bowl, they aired this trailer:

http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/trailer_super_bowl.html

I never read the Alan Moore graphic novel, so I was pretty in-the-dark about the project, knowing only that it had Natalie Portman, Hugo "Agent Smith" Weaving, and the director was the Assistant Director on Episode II, the Matrix trilogy, and Dark City (which means he's likely either talented or Australian ;)).

But that trailer during the SuperBowl knocked my socks off, I only hope the movie is as good as the trailer suggests. It was a short ad but made an outstand impact, John Hurt has only a few seconds of airtime yet seemed to be doing an amazing job with it, "... Governments should be afraid of their people" floored me, and then a bunch of explosions. In a way, I'm glad they held this back from its original release date last year because it deserves more exposure than it was going to get.

El Chuxter
02-08-2006, 04:39 PM
No one's started a thread on this yet? :eek:

I saw a different trailer at Comic Con, and got the graphic novel shortly afterward. It's an interesting read. It's not bad, but it's no Watchmen. And Moore admits that it took nearly a decade to complete the entire story, and at times he didn't know where it was going.

However, I can see how a good script based on the graphic novel and edited to a normal length (1.5-3 hours) could be an incredible movie.

This movie is going to cause more political controversy than Revenge of the Sith and its veiled criticisms of the current administration. But it's an important cautionary fable, and from what I've seen (the Super Bowl trailer was a high point in an otherwise unremarkable batch of Super Bowl commercials), it should be incredible.

PS: Dark City = the movie The Matrix was ripped off from. :p

JediTricks
02-09-2006, 02:53 AM
I find it funny that some pundits are already labelling the movie as politically pointed towards the current administration when the comic was written over 20 years ago - maybe if one sees parallels between the administration and the film's "cautionary" tale about a fascist British government, they should look at the administration's behaviorinstead of the 2-decade-old story.

The movie itself looks like a great time at the theater, I rarely see movies anymore but this is definitely one I wanna see.

Dark City was awesome, I missed it in theaters and had to find out how good it was on basic cable. Dark City and The Matrix were filmed at the same Australian studios and even share a few sets.

Jayspawn
02-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I dont know much about this movie either JT, but I'm REALLY excited to see it! I'll try to keep from crying when they shave Natalie's head. :(

JediTricks
02-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Supposedly, that was one of the things Nat wanted to do most about this movie, so I don't mind. To be honest, I think it works better for her in what we've seen of the movie than it did for Sigorney Weaver in Alien3.

I'm really surprised there aren't more people interested in this film.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I saw this trailer for the first time the other day at the movies watching Hostel. It was the ONLY thing worthwhile that entire trip to the movies! It looks fantastic! I also have never read the comix but it sure looks good and maybe I'll read them after? Anyway, I'm excited about the DC movies coming out this year.

Rocketboy
02-09-2006, 10:00 PM
I've been interested for quite a while and even more so since I saw the original trailer.
I was bummed it was bumped from last November to March, but it may get better exposure this way.
The reviews I've read have been, for the most part, extremely positive.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Apparently the Superbowl trailers for Pirates of the Carribean 2 and Mission Impossible 3 scored more interest than this one, which is too bad. I mean, POTC2 should be good as the first film was good, but I thought it wasn't much of a trailer, and we've been seeing it for weeks already. And how can anybody be excited by the MI:3 trailer? Weren't you burned enough by MI:2???

LusiferSam
03-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Gezse I thought there might be more of a thread for this movie. I'm totally psyched for this movie. I won't go see it tomorrow (I never see movie opening night), but maybe on Sunday. This movie looks like it will totally rock.

JediTricks
03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm either gonna see it tomorrow or Saturday at my local moviehouse, I am so psyched! But yeah, the buzz seems to be a low murmur at this point, and a March release date seems very odd, so I'm just hoping this one does catch people's attention and turn out to be very good.

Rocketboy
03-16-2006, 09:00 PM
I just finished the comic the other day and now I'm really psyched to see it.

JetsAndHeels
03-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow night, and I am pretty excited about it. I never really read the comics, but I may after seeing the film.
Anyone know how long it is? I want to make sure I get out in time to see Carolina play in the tournament. :D

Blackened88
03-16-2006, 09:33 PM
anyone have a clue what this is about, no spoilers though?

Rocketboy
03-16-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow night, and I am pretty excited about it. I never really read the comics, but I may after seeing the film.
Anyone know how long it is? I want to make sure I get out in time to see Carolina play in the tournament. :D132 minutes

anyone have a clue what this is about, no spoilers though?Here is the briefest plot summary I could find:

In a story where Germany won a future World War and Great Britain is now a fascist state, a masked vigilante known only as "V" conducts guerrilla warfare against the government. When he rescues a normal young woman (Portman), she joins his struggle against the forces of oppression...

JetsAndHeels
03-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks Rocketboy!!

According to yahoo movies here is another description:

Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante known only as "V." Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V urges his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself--and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption.

El Chuxter
03-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Germany won a world war? I take it that's a detail they added for the film.

Rocketboy
03-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Germany won a world war? I take it that's a detail they added for the film.Wow, I didn't even realize it said that. That's the only place I've seen it like that so it could be a typo on their part.

Blackened88
03-17-2006, 10:15 AM
sounds interesting, yea ill see it

Scackmgack
03-17-2006, 07:24 PM
It has nothing to do with Germany winning a World War in either the book OR the film.

A war does factor into the story, but you'll have to see how for yourself. :)

Beast
03-17-2006, 09:02 PM
*Jar Jar arrives wearing a Guy Fawkes mask*

Never read the original Graphic Novel, but that movie was surprisingly good. :)

JetsAndHeels
03-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Saw it last night, really enjoyed it.
Great movie that made you think and follow all the different plotlines.
May see it again to catch some things I may have missed.

Rocketboy
03-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Really, really well done. I don't want to go into specifics since many still haven't seen it but I thought they did a great job tweaking things/characters and condensing other things without it seeming mashed and forced.

It made me want to reread the comic.

The cast was excellent. One of Natalie Portman's finest works, but I don't get why some said her accent was hit and miss - she sounded fine to me.
Hugo Weaving did a fantastic job as V, having to rely only on his body movements and voice.

It's really too bad Alan Moore didn't let them attach his name to it. They didn't screw it up like they did with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

JetsAndHeels
03-18-2006, 09:32 PM
It made me want to reread the comic.

It made me want to read the comic for the first time. Is it just a comic series or a graphic novel? I am pretty sure I can find this at my comic shop, just want to make sure I know what I am looking for.

Rocketboy
03-18-2006, 09:52 PM
It made me want to read the comic for the first time. Is it just a comic series or a graphic novel? I am pretty sure I can find this at my comic shop, just want to make sure I know what I am looking for.$20 graphic novel. Worth every penny, IMO.

I forgot to add - Now I want a V figure (Evey too)!

JetsAndHeels
03-18-2006, 10:45 PM
$20 graphic novel. Worth every penny, IMO.

I forgot to add - Now I want a V figure (Evey too)!

Thanks for all the info Rocketboy. I second the figures as well!!

2-1B
03-19-2006, 01:45 AM
I think Hugo Weaving only did half (or so?) of the scenes of V, as James Purefoy (from HBO's Rome, he was/is Marc Antony) was the first guy who played him and it is my understanding that some of his footage is still in the film. Well, I'm sure they reshot a bunch of it with Hugo, so it's probably more than half.

the director was the Assistant Director on Episode II

No surprise there, since that scene where NatPo pops up in bed looks like it was taken right outta AOTC. lol I was waiting for the kouhouns to make an appearance followed by Ani or V to the rescue. lol

I thought it was a cool movie, enjoyable overall. :) But what was up with the goofy 4th dimensional blade scenes toward the end, was there a reason I needed to see the entire path of the blade as it was already in slow motion ? :confused:

I almost started laughing at that in light of the Wachowskis being attached. lol At least with The Matrix, it was relevant to the idea of warping a computer program....or something. :crazed:

But overall it was cool, I enjoyed it. John Hurt is crusty. Very, very crusty.

Rocketboy
03-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I think Hugo Weaving only did half (or so?) of the scenes of V, as James Purefoy (from HBO's Rome, he was/is Marc Antony) was the first guy who played him and it is my understanding that some of his footage is still in the film. Well, I'm sure they reshot a bunch of it with Hugo, so it's probably more than half.I thought he dropped out pretty early during filming and there was only a very few scenes (maybe even a single scene) of him as V.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/vforvendettanews.php?id=3958
Well, it diesn't say exactly how much was reshot or how much of Purefoy is stiull there:

SHH: What about the change in actors who played V? Did you end up keeping any of the scenes shot with James Purefoy behind the mask?
McTeigue: I did a bit of reshooting, but the thing with James is that you spend 20 years or more learning how to use your face. That's your ultimate tool as an actor, and then when that's taken away from you, and you're put in something that can be very confining or very limiting, we just made a decision because it wasn't working out. I think he recognized it was well. We decided to move on and go with Hugo because he became available when another film he was doing didn't work out.

JEDIpartner
03-20-2006, 09:18 AM
I thought it was an amazing film and very relevant to today's political climate in the States. The last scene faded and just before the credits rolled... someone yelled "Do it to the White House" and the theatre errupted in cheers. :) That's as political as I'm gonna get here.

JimJamBonds
03-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Like Caesar I wasn't sure what was up with that final fight scene, there was nothing 'Matrixey' in the film up to that point but then that silly blade business.......

Other then that small bit I enjoyed the film very much. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
03-21-2006, 12:59 PM
One more comment about V (Caesar actually thought of this one...), what was up with a Rolling Stones song being played over the credits? I don't think of them as being 'anti-establishment' now perhaps 40 YEARS AGO but not now.

JEDIpartner
03-22-2006, 09:01 AM
I think it was just for the lyrical content of the song and nothing more.

JediTricks
03-24-2006, 10:47 PM
That was pretty damn good. The pacing got a bit sticky in the middle, and Natalie Portman's accent was attrocious IMO, but I thought it was a really good movie. The "matrix" final fight was a bit much, but if they had shown all that action in real-time speed it would have looked like the Matrix as well, so there was just no way to win, this way at least we got to enjoy it rather than watch it blast by.

2-1B
03-25-2006, 01:09 AM
I enjoyed the fight, I just would have enjoyed it more without the blurred lines of the blades. The slow motion itself didn't bother me as much. lol

JetsAndHeels
03-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Two of the best quotes from the film:

"If the police are going to raid my house, you are the least of my concerns."
:D

"V, did you have anything to do with his death?"

"Yes, I killed him."

JediTricks
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
I enjoyed the fight, I just would have enjoyed it more without the blurred lines of the blades. I felt the same way, that was just FX guys showing off or something, not necessary.

JF96, those are good lines, I dug how frank V was about that killing. I also liked this one:

- Who are you?
[/URL]- Who? Who is but the form following the function of what... and what I am is a man in a mask.
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0915989/)- I can see that.
[URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0915989/"]- Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking on the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.
And I loved that bit starting the end fight:

- We've swept this place. All you've got are your knives and your karate gimmicks. We've got guns.
- No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty I am no longer standing, because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded.

I have a question for you who saw it, do you think that the visage of Sutler, the country's chancellor, was intentionally meant to be similar to V's Guy Fawkes mask? I got the impression that was the case, especially during Gordon's show parodying the leader's struggle with V.

scruffziller
03-25-2006, 04:34 PM
"Do it to the White House" and the theatre errupted in cheers. :) That's as political as I'm gonna get here.

Weird, because I was imagining that too.:D

But I was also imagining, "yes the people take back the government, but the people will eventually create another one like it.":ermm: ala [South Park episode SOMETHING WALL MART THIS WAY COMES] History will repeat itself.

JimJamBonds
03-26-2006, 02:51 PM
I have a question for you who saw it, do you think that the visage of Sutler, the country's chancellor, was intentionally meant to be similar to V's Guy Fawkes mask? I got the impression that was the case, especially during Gordon's show parodying the leader's struggle with V.

No not really, I didn't really see the connection myself.

Turbowars
03-26-2006, 03:53 PM
This film bored the hell out of me. I wanted to leave, but the wife looked like she was into it. Turns out she wanted to leave too. Glad I didn't pay for it.

Sith Lord 0498
03-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Like Caesar I wasn't sure what was up with that final fight scene, there was nothing 'Matrixey' in the film up to that point but then that silly blade business.......

Other then that small bit I enjoyed the film very much. :thumbsup:

Same here. Personally, that fight sequence seemed very out of place for two reasons...

1) Too "Matrixey"

2) Too bloody...I mean the rest of the movie managed with very little blood. Why did they have to insert those slo-mo glamour shots of gushing blood????

2-1B
11-05-2007, 11:06 PM
JimJam saw fit to text me at work today with "Remember remember the 5th of November"...not sure why he didn't see fit to do so in 2006 but I guess 2007 was his year.

plasticfetish
11-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Oh damn! I totally forgot what today was. ;)