PDA

View Full Version : Tony Kornheiser joins Monday Night Football team.

CaptainSolo1138
02-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Tony Kornheiser joins Monday Night Football team. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/08/AR2006020800590.html?nav=hcmodule)

I'm not a fan of him or his PTI counterpart Micheal Wilbon and think it's a poor choice.

Discuss.

Rogue II
02-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I haven't seen PTI recently, but he wasn't that bad. Joe Thiesman is the poor choice of that group.

Shadow Knight
02-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Kornheiser will be a colorful character to the 3 man team. I do not think he will last very long since he hates flying. Personally, I despise the entire MNF change from ABC to ESPN anyway..but that is another topic. Tony will be good, better than tHEISMAN.

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Might as well bring back Dennis Miller too.

Darth Jax
02-08-2006, 07:49 PM
dennis miller gets my vote anyday over rush limbaugh. face it MNF leaving ABC and heading to cable is gonna be a major disappointment. that fact alone will keep me from watching. but with the commentators they have signed up, i'm just as glad that i don't get cable.

too bad madden's moving to NBC. i realize he was a great coach, but i've always thought he was a horrible commentator.

CaptainSolo1138
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
It's not gonna be the same. For me, Monday nites during the fall have always been defined by Al Michaels' voice.

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling it won't do as well on ESPN. I think alot of "purists" will stay away from it. Most of the time I watched MNF just because "that's the thing to do on Monday nites", not because there's a good game on (because let's face it: they usually aren't). But now that it's gonna be different, I'm not sure it'll mean as much to me. At least hockey season starts in October :ermm:

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 09:17 PM
With ABC and ESPN both owned by the same company they figured what the hell, lets do it, either way they are still making the money. I most likely wont watch it. They also did it for the High Definition reason. With alot of cable and Sat companies not offering HD locals in all markets, this is the best way for them to get it to them in HD.

JetsAndHeels
02-08-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't think Kornheiser is too bad, although I was a bit shocked to hear that he was going to be one of the announcers. I am sure he can add more to the program than Madden's incoherant babbling. :yes:

Oh, and if you guys don't have NFL Network you need to get it asap. I just realized that not only will they start broadcasting nfl games this fall, but during the spring and summer they air the nfl combines, draft synopsis, summer practices, and even management meetings. Man, what a great channel. I've only had it for about 4 months now but I already know I couldn't live without it!!

figrin bran
02-08-2006, 09:41 PM
i don't have cable and so i'll be listening to Marv Albert and Boomer's radio coverage. there were too many games where Madden and Michaels just mailed it in (ravens/packers towards the end of the season) and so i won't really miss them. raise your hand if you're tired of Mr. Hall of Fame's "brett favre is such a warrior" blah blah...turducken...blah blah

btw, dr. z of SI has a great column in which he critiques all the football commentators out there. i'll try to find a link

Captain Spoon
02-09-2006, 06:18 AM
I have no problem with Kornheizer, My biggest problem with MNF is that they kept Joe Theisman. Listening to that guy makes me want to swallow my own tongue

JetsAndHeels
02-09-2006, 10:23 AM
My biggest problem with MNF is that they kept Joe Theisman. Listening to that guy makes me want to swallow my own tongue

Not sure what is worse, listening to Theisman commentate or watching that infamous play where LT broke his leg.
And at least they did not bring Mike Patrick over to MNF. Its enough that I have to listen to that guy every big college bball game. I swear that guy drives me nuts...everything is exceptional, fantastic, out of this world. Get a grip dude...even Dick Vitale says you need to cool it down.

JimJamBonds
02-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I love it that Mr. Tony is joining MNF, should be good. :thumbsup: I wish he was still on ESPN radio.

UKWildcat
02-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Tony K. doesn't really bother me. I used to watch PTI all the time but I haven't looked at that show in months. I'm not extremely thrilled that he is going to be joining the cast but I'm going to be optimistic and hope for the best.

I will definitely miss Michaels and Madden though... Yes, I will miss Madden... :(

figrin bran
02-10-2006, 01:04 AM
no need to miss Madden and Michaels as they've been reunited for NBC's sunday night football. apparently Al got "traded" to NBC in exchange for the rights to some Walt Disney cartoon rabbit from the 20's.

Fluke Skywalker
02-10-2006, 05:16 AM
I like Kornheiser & PTI (Though ESPN has cloned the show to death) but I'm not too sure about this. The show is first and foremost about football. This just seems like a gimmick that's bound to get in the way.

Plus, we all know Theisman is an egomaniac who loves nothing more than the sound of his own voice. They're gonna have to pump air into that booth because these guys will use it all up before the coin toss.

Mike Tirico is OK. I don't know if he has a strong enough personality to herd the other two though. He'll be like that substitue teacher that the rowdy kids walk all over.

The biggets fallout from the move over to ESPN is that "NFL Primetime" will now air on Monday. That is just a horrible idea IMO.

Kidhuman
02-10-2006, 06:05 AM
no need to miss Madden and Michaels as they've been reunited for NBC's sunday night football. apparently Al got "traded" to NBC in exchange for the rights to some Walt Disney cartoon rabbit from the 20's.

Also extended highlights of the olympics until 2012, Also ads for Monday night football to run on NBC Sunday night football and a few other things.

CaptainSolo1138
02-10-2006, 06:44 AM
The biggets fallout from the move over to ESPN is that "NFL Primetime" will now air on Monday. That is just a horrible idea IMO.You can't be serious! That makes no sense, especially since they currently replay Sunday's all week.

Fluke Skywalker
02-10-2006, 07:44 AM
^ Unfortunately it's true. It was announced right after ESPN traded Sunday night football for Mondays. Tom Jackson and Chris Berman are none too happy about it you can tell. I have no idea what time it will air, maybe at 7 right after Sporscenter but before the "Monday night countdown" show.

UKWildcat
12-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Tony K. doesn't really bother me.

I take that back. I now find him to be rather annoying.

JetsAndHeels
12-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Remember all the smart comments and criticism he was giving Chad on Christmas night (by the way where the jets won)? Well I just read a new article that Chad was sick out there yet he still played.

NY TIMES

Even when ill, Pennington is still the Jets cure

By KAREN CROUSE

During the Jets rainy victory in Miami on Monday night, quarterback Chad Pennington was battling the physical elements, a very physical Dolphins defense and a physical ailment.

Pennington had a virus that made him sick to his stomach. He was feeling so ill, he left the field at Dolphin Stadium before the end of warm-ups. The peak of his misery came during the scoreless first half, which was memorable mostly for Pennington throwing some passes, then coming off the field and throwing up.

His first four passes fell incomplete, some of them fluttering like an upset stomach. Pennington, who does not discuss illnesses or injuries, lest they become excuse not to succeed, tried to act as if everything was O.K. He succeeded to the point where some of his teammates did not know he was feeling poorly.

But it was clear that something was wrong. As Pennington labored, so did the Jets. The high-tempo offense, after all, is not for the peaked. As Pennington noted Wednesday, it is at its best “when we play fast, when we play sharp. Even if we’re wrong in a decision or wrong in an assignment, when we play fast, when we play with excitement and energy, normally good things happen.”

In the first half, the Jets had one sustained drive, which covered 67 yards in 12 plays. Pennington filled his body with liquids at halftime, and he came out for the second half feeling better.

He would need two IVs after the game.

But in the final 15 minutes, with the game and the season on the line, Pennington was terrific. He played as if he was determined not to let his illness be the thing that derailed the team after it had overcome so much adversity — a 4-12 record last year, a coaching change, a grueling training camp — to compete for a playoff spot.

“Chad knows that the players feed off him on offense,” Coach Eric Mangini said. “You could see as he started to feel better, the whole offense picked up.”

In the fourth quarter, Pennington threw a 32-yard touchdown pass to Jerricho Cotchery as he was taking a hit and set up Mike Nugent’s game-winning 30-yard field goal by managing the two-minute drill with the clearest of heads.

On the first play of that final possession, Pennington read the blitz beautifully and threw a screen pass to the running back Leon Washington, who ran 64 yards. While deftly managing the clock, Pennington maneuvered the Jets into better field-goal position with three handoffs to Kevan Barlow.

He completed 9 of 15 passes, with no turnovers, in the second half of the Jets’ 13-10 victory. Mangini, who was well aware of how poorly Pennington was feeling, was not surprised that Pennington succeeded despite his distress.

“Knowing Chad, I guess I really didn’t expect anything else,” Mangini said. “I think it’s just who he is.”

Nobody has questioned Pennington’s heart. His arm strength, on the other hand, is an ongoing topic for his critics. Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser of ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” crew were the latest to pile on.

“That’s fine,” Pennington said Wednesday, referring to the criticism. He added, “I don’t take anything from it.”

It is not as if the Jets’ offense is vertically challenged. The Jets have had 37 pass plays this season that have gained at least 20 yards and 9 that have gained at least 40.

“Chad’s a little bit more well-rounded than sometimes people give him credit for,” receiver Justin McCareins said. “I just think his main strengths are just his ability to read defenses and finding the open man, and coaches do a good job of putting him in the best positions to do that.”

Pennington’s brain power is what sets him apart. He is so cerebral that it is like having an assistant under center. Brian Schottenheimer, the Jets’ first-year offensive coordinator, has tailored the offense to suit him.

Schottenheimer has incorporated the no-huddle and a kaleidoscope of formations and shifts and motions and personnel because he can count on Pennington to make sense of it all. The timing passes that are the bread-and-butter of the offense make the most of Pennington’s accuracy and the running-after-the-catch talents of the team’s two best receivers, Laveranues Coles and Cotchery.

“I have enjoyed this offense,” Pennington said. “I’ve enjoyed working with Brian and learning all the details of this offense and trying to explore all the different avenues.”

Expanding on Schottenheimer’s influence, Pennington said, “We feel like he’s done a great job of putting us in positions to be successful and really exploiting our strengths and making sure that we get the playmakers the ball.”

After working his way back from two career-threatening shoulder surgeries, Pennington is on the verge of posting the first 16-start season of his seven-year career. The last time he appeared in every regular-season game was in 2002.

“No matter how many games I play, my primary focus is always winning and making sure that I’m doing everything I can to put our team in a successful position,” Pennington said.

“But to be able to make it through a season and persevere through a lot of difficult challenges does mean a lot.”

2-1B
01-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I hate Kornheiser, he is TERRIBLE. Mike Patrick was way better but Theisman and Maguire really bogged him down.

My favorite commentators are Dennis Miller, Al Michaels, Dan Fouts, and Cris Collinsworth. :)

JimJamBonds
01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
I hate Kornheiser, he is TERRIBLE.

Yeah I'm rather disapointed in Mr. Tony, I loved him on ESPN Radio and I would have liked to listem to him on 980 in D.C. but from what I've watched of MNF he has been really bad. Ohh well a year from now we will be bashing Tiki Barber.