PDA

View Full Version : Collector's Editions: Worth buying?

Sith Lord 0498
02-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Now that we've seen both the specifications and pricepoint of the CE lightsabers, who thinks they're worth buying??

Personally, I'd just as soon stick with the scaled replicas if I want the hilt and the Force FX if I want a full-scale version. The hilt of the Darth Vader ESB Force FX saber I had looked just as good if not better than the old Icons ANH saber I owned. For $120 (and less in many places), you get a hilt that is accurate, looks just as realistic as a LE or CE, comes with an illuminated blade, and is still at best $40 cheaper than the CEs.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-10-2006, 02:44 AM
I love the FX versions and it would be something if you could remove the blade and just have the hilt at times. Maybe some day :thumbsup:

I know there are people who retool them and sell 'em on ebay that way and they look really good.

Anyhoo, I can't justify paying 3 to 4 hundred dollars for a hilt I can have with a blade attached. I know they are more detailed and made out of better materials and all, but it's just too expensive for my taste at the moment. I'd rather drop 60k on the orginal ones used in the movies lol lol lol Yeah, right :whip:

CooLJoE
02-10-2006, 02:57 AM
I'll gladly buy the CEs for $150 over the LEs for $350.

Force FX are nice also, but only the Vader/Anakin/Luke ones look any good since the others require thinner areas which can't be done since it has electronics (like the Obi-Wan FX). Besides, the blades just aren't that bright or well colored compared to what I can put together on my own.

Sith Lord 0498
02-10-2006, 06:33 AM
I'll gladly buy the CEs for $150 over the LEs for $350.

Force FX are nice also, but only the Vader/Anakin/Luke ones look any good since the others require thinner areas which can't be done since it has electronics (like the Obi-Wan FX). Besides, the blades just aren't that bright or well colored compared to what I can put together on my own.

True...there are some FX sabers that MR had to fudge the proportions on to get them accurate. In those cases, a CE would make sense if you wanted the full-scale hilt (me...I'd take the scaled hilt). But Qui-Gon for example wouldn't be disproportionate in the FX line, so I can't see paying for the CE.

jedi master sal
02-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I love the FX versions and it would be something if you could remove the blade and just have the hilt at times. Maybe some day :thumbsup:

I know there are people who retool them and sell 'em on ebay that way and they look really good.

Anyhoo, I can't justify paying 3 to 4 hundred dollars for a hilt I can have with a blade attached. I know they are more detailed and made out of better materials and all, but it's just too expensive for my taste at the moment. I'd rather drop 60k on the orginal ones used in the movies lol lol lol Yeah, right :whip:

When I talked with MR at the "After-C3" party, one of their folks mentioned that they didn't intend on making the FX sabers with removable blades. It was for this very reason that Deoxyribonucleic mentions above. They KNOW people would then just buy the much cheaper version, thereby killing two birds with one stone. Many people can accept the loss of quality compared to the versatility of a detachable blade. So, no dice. Bear in mind this was what they said as of C3 last year. It could change, but they seemed VERY adamant about not doing this.

-Sal

Jayspawn
02-10-2006, 10:48 AM
See, I like a quality product. I think the price is good on the CEs but I'm an LE and EE Collector, I have NO problem dropping $300-$500 on a replica. Its not so much the price, I like the product. It just looks better.

The way I see it, if you're going to drop any kind of money on a good replica, then you might as well get the best. Why settle for anything less.

Sith Lord 0498
02-10-2006, 02:25 PM
The way I see it, if you're going to drop any kind of money on a good replica, then you might as well get the best. Why settle for anything less.

Because with some of these price/product levels, sometimes settling for a little bit less equals a whole lotta extra $$$$ :thumbsup:

Jayspawn
02-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Screw it, I'd rather have something nice.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Where is this confirmation of the pricepoint on the CEs? Is it actually $150? Seems like that's the price that's gonna make the biggest impact to me, it's right above my threshhold which I've been known to breach before.

dr_evazan22
02-10-2006, 04:18 PM
... Its not so much the price, I like the product. It just looks better.

I agree with ya there. While I think the CE looks good, I like the look and feel of the fully metal versions, and I would presume that the LE's 'feel' more realistic then the CE's. Also, if I wanted a resin prop, I'd just go to eBay.

Sith Lord 0498
02-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Where is this confirmation of the pricepoint on the CEs? Is it actually $150? Seems like that's the price that's gonna make the biggest impact to me, it's right above my threshhold which I've been known to breach before.

The $150 pricepoint is the lowest price I've seen on-line so far (I think it was razorsedgecollectibles.com), but most places are $175-200.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Oh, that's too bad, very disappointing. I can now only hope that they're incorrect and MR is revealing a lower pricepoint soon.

nash
02-10-2006, 09:27 PM
See, I like a quality product. I think the price is good on the CEs but I'm an LE and EE Collector, I have NO problem dropping $300-$500 on a replica. Its not so much the price, I like the product. It just looks better.

Im in total agreeance with Jay here. CE pricepoint is "cheaper" than the LE, thats obvious, but come on, it is still a benjamin and a half!! And you're paying for mostly resin and no display case with acrylic cover, no limited edition size, nothing. Id rather work my butt off a few extra hours at work and save some money on the side to drop another $150 to get a LIMITED and High quality replica. lets face it $150 is cheaper, but for what you are getting compared to a $320 saber, to me its pretty obvious which way to go.

If the CEs were $100 or less, then maybe my argument wouldnt be as valid. However, im a LE and EE collector at heart so i dont see myself buying any CEs unless its to have a saber that I really like on display for handling and such.

Funny how the minis are atleast made of metal but the CEs are resin.

By the way, Is it just Jayspawn and I who are die hard LE and EE collectors? Jay's collection is pretty impressive, you all should check it out!

JediTricks
02-11-2006, 07:08 PM
The minis are plastic, I thought.

I like how the CE box looks, if it came with an acrylic over-box for the vertical stand I'd want that for the LEs too.

Sith Lord 0498
02-11-2006, 07:27 PM
The minis are plastic, I thought.

I like how the CE box looks, if it came with an acrylic over-box for the vertical stand I'd want that for the LEs too.

If that's true, then they have metal plating because they are most definitely not plastic on the outside.

An acrylic cover would look good on the CE stand. I prefer this stand as well over the traditional display case. This one seems both more elegant and more practical in terms of saving space.

JediTricks
02-12-2006, 03:35 AM
If that's true, then they have metal plating because they are most definitely not plastic on the outside.No, I was wrong, just checked the site, they are metal with plastic. I totally blew it, I wish I had been in on this line since the beginning, but I thought they were all-plastic and held back! :(

Sith Lord 0498
02-12-2006, 09:42 AM
No, I was wrong, just checked the site, they are metal with plastic. I totally blew it, I wish I had been in on this line since the beginning, but I thought they were all-plastic and held back! :(

Yeah, if they were plastic, this line would've bombed right out of the gate. Most of us (including myself) would've avoid them like the plague. The good news is that most of the older mini sabers are still easily available and roughly at retail price, so it's not too late to jump on this bandwagon!! :thumbsup:

BEW
02-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Buy it from this site...this guy is my buddy and I buy all my stuff from him...he always has the best prices!

razorsedgecollectibles.com

Sith Lord 0498
02-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Buy it from this site...this guy is my buddy and I buy all my stuff from him...he always has the best prices!

razorsedgecollectibles.com

Yes, that is a good on-line store to order from. I first dealt with him through the site administrator of yodasnews.com, and I was amazed at the customer service, prices, and quick/cheap delivery.

I plan to order quite a few 2006 high-end items from them this year.

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 02:16 AM
If I had the scratch, I would, but part of the problem with jumping in late is buying all this stuff at once. I can barely stitch together a five dollar bill right now. ;)

If I could track down the Luke ROTJ and Obi-Wan AOTC, the rest of the ones I want are at MR anyway or aren't out yet:

luke rotj
mace
ep 2 obi-wan
tyranus or dooku
maul (prefer maul double but apparently I'm too late)
vader (no rots or rotj, hate both of those)
anh obi-wan
luke anh or esb

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, I picked up Luke's ROTJ and Maul's half-saber on ebay today, so my collecting is underway. MR's site has nearly all the ones left on my list except Maul's full saber and Obi-Wan's Ep 2 saber. I'm kinda hoping they do an Obi-Wan Ep 1 saber so it won't be chrome (Ep 2 was chrome, Ep 1 was brushed metal), so I'm gonna wait for that. At $25 a piece off the aftermarket for the remaining ones I want:
- mace
- tyranus / dooku
- vader ESB
- obi-wan ANH
- luke ANH / ESB

I'm actually still paying LESS than a single CE saber, which is too bad. I'm sure I'll probably get maybe 1 or 2 CEs, but I think as the "cheapskate collector" item it's too expensive for those who can't afford LEs and not worth getting for those who do collect the LEs, the Force FX are better for cheapskate collectors and the .45s are way easier to collect.

Maxu3x
02-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I totally agree about the CE's. They seem to be too expensive for the scaled and even fx market. They are not wanted by the LE market because they're inferor. It's gonna be a tough market to reach.

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 07:32 PM
And it's too bad too because if they were $100, they'd be SOOOO popular, they might have soldl enough units at that hypothetical price to actually lower the cost of the LEs, but alas that appears to not be happening which is too bad. Then again, I suppose the higher price is both a reflection of the cost of manufacturing/materials AND to protect the LE brand.