PDA

View Full Version : AIM Triton: Too Good to be True?

CaptainSolo1138
02-10-2006, 03:01 PM
After getting a new computer at work, I went to reinstall AIM and, without paying any real attention, downloaded a version of it called "Triton". I was less than impressed with it at first, but I soon got used to it (even though conversations with different buddies are in tabs instead of different windows).

Then yesterday I was playing around with it and looking at all the different stuff that's bundled with it (which isn't much) and I discovered that you get free XM Radio. And it's not some sh**ty trial version with a dozen or so channels (which I expected at first).

My question: Does anyone else have this? What's the catch? It says "free", but "free" usually means "until you start to like it".

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Sounds like AIM now has AOL Radio with it. Or something very similar to AOL Radio.

Rocketboy
02-10-2006, 05:40 PM
I've been using Triton since around Christmas when I got my new computer. I hated it at first, but I'm accepting it.
I've never tried the radio though (at least not yet).

Sith Lord 0498
02-10-2006, 07:21 PM
After getting a new computer at work, I went to reinstall AIM and, without paying any real attention, downloaded a version of it called "Triton". I was less than impressed with it at first, but I soon got used to it (even though conversations with different buddies are in tabs instead of different windows).

Then yesterday I was playing around with it and looking at all the different stuff that's bundled with it (which isn't much) and I discovered that you get free XM Radio. And it's not some sh**ty trial version with a dozen or so channels (which I expected at first).

My question: Does anyone else have this? What's the catch? It says "free", but "free" usually means "until you start to like it".

So far it's still free. I just think AOL has increased the features available to IM users. What's probably likely is that AOL has partnered with XM Satellite Radio. XM probably provides the channels with the hopes that Triton users will like it so much that they'll subscribe to XM so they can use it elsewhere.

I really think that's why DirecTV offers several dozen XM stations now as well (up in the 800s channels).

Kidhuman
02-10-2006, 07:24 PM
I dont have any version of AIM right now. I got my cable modem and it AIM started to conflict with it. WhileI am still running Win98, I dont have the 2k version to dl Triton. Shouild be getting Win2k in a few weeks though.

El Chuxter
02-11-2006, 10:25 AM
AOL is THE DEVIL!!!!!!

Slicker
02-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I just downloaded it yesterday and it's alright. Not too much different from the old (about 3 upgrades ago. I hate change) version except asthetics pretty much. I do however like the tabbed windows.

JediTricks
02-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I just use Trillian chat program when I need to use messengers, it's free and has Yahoo Messenger, AIM, ICQ, and MSN Messenger.

CaptainSolo1138
02-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I just use Trillian chat program when I need to use messengers, it's free and has Yahoo Messenger, AIM, ICQ, and MSN Messenger.
Ick.

I used that for the better part of the summer and then uninstalled it. It seemed clunky to me. I did like having all of my buddy lists merged, though.

JediTricks
02-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Well, I don't use messengers for more than messenging, so it works fine for my needs.

DarthQuack
02-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Yea, I got this one of the first days it came out and I like it a lot, especially with the tabs for IM's makes it easier than having 5 or 6 different windows open all at once.