PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom Edit

stardog24
01-22-2002, 10:45 PM
Has anyone here seen the Phantom Edit? I've seen some of it (at least I think it is). I've seen the beginning up until Jar Jar says "Exsqueeeze Me". I turned it off then.
So, my question is, what exactly is different? The beginning scroll says Jar Jar's supidity is cut out, but "Exsqueeeeze Me" was a terrible downer for me the first time I saw it in the theater. I remember thinking, "Oh no, this is gonna blow!"

GNT
01-23-2002, 01:30 AM
I believe all the scenes with Jar Jar were cut (or just the really annoying ones at least).I haven't seen it Because I have a remote so I have the power to press the "fast-forward" button and skip all those scenes :)

SithDroid
01-25-2002, 12:10 AM
Where is this so called Phantom edit? If it has less of Jar Jar I'm all for it.

derek
01-25-2002, 12:41 AM
sith droid,

the phantom edit is an edited version of episode 1 that reduced jar jar's role in the film, removed the fart noises and stepping in feces. it also attempted to remove the yippees and other childish mannerisms from anakin's character by making him more decisive and mature as a future sith lord should be.

this version of the film was done "illegally" by an aspiring filmmaker last year and circulated through un-official channels. lucas film has since put the smack down on this project. for a time you could find a copy of it on ebay.

SithDroid
01-25-2002, 12:59 AM
Thanks. Sorry, I never heard of it. But why doesn't Lucas take a hint and do a Special Edition of TPM? I don't think the fans would be upset about seeing less Jar Jar and no mention of midiclorians. I've talked about my solution to this in the "GL say midi were idea all along" thread.