PDA

View Full Version : Top All-Ttime SW Books (as of so far)

Bel-Cam Jos
02-12-2006, 03:29 PM
I know we've covered this several times before, but there's been quite a lot of Star Wars stories out lately (and they've been pretty good for a change, too). So, what would you list as your top ten (give or take) SW novels that've been written? Try to watch the spoliers if they're recent releases, if you choose to explain why you like 'em. I'll go first.

In no real order, and without explanantion right now:
- Tales from Jabba's Palace, Anderson (editor)
- Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina, Anderson (editor)
- Illustrated SW Universe, Anderson
- Dark Force Rising, Zahn
- Courtship of Princess Leia, Wolverton
- Dark Lord, Luceno
- Yoda: Dark Revendous, Stewart
- Rebel Dawn, Crispin
- Han Solo & Lost Legacy, Daley
- Lando Calrissian & Starcave of Thonbaka, Smith

My choices are a little older books, but that's because the recent ones have had some pretty strong stories to live up to, and most fall short. I may elaborate later; just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Slicker
02-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I haven't even read 10 SW books (outside of the OT and PT books) but here goes.

1. Shadows of the Empire. Best SW book ever.
2. Tales From Jabba's Palace
3. Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina
4. Tales of the Bounty Hunters (I think that's what it's called)

And that's the extent of my EU SW reading.

Kidhuman
02-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Zahn Trilogy
Tales of the Bounty Hunters.
The one about Maul right before EP1, Shadowhunter???

JimJamBonds
02-12-2006, 06:42 PM
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

El Chuxter
02-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Keeping in mind that any top ten list by El Chuxter can change at the drop of a hat, here's twelve:

Labyrinth of Evil
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Cloak of Deception
Medstar (I'll count 'em as one, because I don't recall one being remarkably better than the other)
Republic Commando: Hard Contact
Episode I Journal: Darth Maul
Dark Force Rising
Star by Star
I, Jedi
Dark Rendezvous
Darksaber (ignoring the appearance by that intergalactic cow Callista, of course)
Splinter of the Mind's Eye (ha, BCJ, get older than that! :D)

Rocketboy
02-12-2006, 11:14 PM
I'll assume we're talkin' Star Wars novel and not just Star Wars books.

1. Shadows of the Empire
2. Tales from Jabba Palace
3. Tales of the Bounty Hunters
4. Not really a novel, but I'm digging the Last of the Jedi series.
5 - 10. The movie adaptions.

JediTricks
02-12-2006, 11:52 PM
I was wondering if the Illustrated SW Universe was going to be allowed, I was gonna nominate it but it's really almost a reference book or collection, definitely not a novel. The Tales From... series are collections too though, but presented in novel form.

I'd also agree to the Zahn Trilogy and maybe even SOTE, though it was pretty contrived it also was a pretty good shoehorning of a new story into a short on-screen off-time.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Keeping in mind that any top ten list by El Chuxter can change at the drop of a hat, here's twelve:

Splinter of the Mind's Eye (ha, BCJ, get older than that! :D)Okay...

- Journal of the Whills, by Falso Nom de Plume, Dec. 1977 :p

There are many others that I like, but had to miss the cut due to the STRICT NO-EXCEPTIONS policy of ten, and ONLY ten books, of which I have never given a "give-or-take" option previously in this thread. :rolleyes:

Others that came up a tad short are:
Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Foster
Shadows of the Empire, Perry
Shatterpoint, uh, that author guy... ;)
Last of the Jedi #1, Watson
Labyrinth of Evil, Luceno
I, Jedi, Stackpole
Other 2 in the Lando series
Other 2 in the Crispin Han series
Other 2 in the Daley Han series
Many of the first 10 of the Jedi Apprentice series

I was wondering if the Illustrated SW Universe was going to be allowed, I was gonna nominate it but it's really almost a reference book or collection, definitely not a novel. The Tales From... series are collections too though, but presented in novel form.

I consider the Illustrated SW Univ. to be a "story book," rather than a reference book because it's written as a guide book for characters INSIDE the Star Wars galaxy.

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Really it's just words to sell a McQuarrie picture book. ;)

Tycho
02-14-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm glad to see James Luceno's work so well represented here. He's a great writer: Labrynth of Evil, Cloak of Deception, Dark Lord, etc.

Ann Crispin's Han Solo books are truly amongst my favorites still (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit, Rebel Dawn!)

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous was really good, too.

So was Republic Clone Commando: Hard Contact. I'm looking forward to its sequel.

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter was something too.

Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice series should be mentioned as well, especially Defenders of the Dead and its sequel (Book 5 and 6 I think).

wedge1968
02-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Rogue Squadron novels.

El Chuxter
02-14-2006, 09:02 AM
It would be really tough for me to pick a single JA, JQ, or LOTJ book. They all go together so well. But the Darth Maul Journal is a nice stand-alone by Ms Watson.... if you can find it.

Tycho
02-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I remember that and the speculation on who trained Maul in the book - Sidious or Dooku. It was finally settled when we saw Palpatine weild a lightsaber in ROTS. But to think that he could have beaten Lord Maul??? It makes Mace look even better. Of course we still don't know if Palpatine "let him win" to goad Anakin. What's cool about SW is that there is so much open to speculation.

Darth Jax
02-15-2006, 07:47 PM
my fave is typically whichever one i've just finished.

currently going back and reading the rogue squadron novels.