PDA

View Full Version : Brokeback Mountain for Dummies

2-1B
02-13-2006, 01:33 AM
First of all let me say this was the best movie I've seen this year (note I didn't say favorite, as that would be Revenge of the Sith). I've seen it twice and I love it for several reasons.

In my ignorance though, something didn't make sense to me. How exactly was the setup against the rules, as Jack F***in' Twist says? I understand the concept of having a herder and camp tender but why was it wrong to make the herder sleep out there with the woolies and without a fire? Was it something to do with the forest service? If anybody has any knowledge of how that operation was running, I'd be curious to hear because I'm not familiar with the whole ranching/herding way of life. Thanks.

A big tip of my cowboy hat to Heath Ledger, I thought he was awesome as was all of the cast. Hey Ang Lee, thanks for not making another Hulk movie and Anne Hathaway, thanks for growing up. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

darthvyn
02-13-2006, 11:58 AM
In my ignorance though, something didn't make sense to me. How exactly was the setup against the rules, as Jack F***in' Twist says? I understand the concept of having a herder and camp tender but why was it wrong to make the herder sleep out there with the woolies and without a fire? Was it something to do with the forest service? If anybody has any knowledge of how that operation was running, I'd be curious to hear because I'm not familiar with the whole ranching/herding way of life. Thanks.

so they wouldn't hop in the sack right away? no, you got it right - they're not supposed to be up there, probably to preserve the wilderness. he's not allowed up there with a fire, cuz then the rangers would know someone was up there.

that being said, i thought the movie was a bit slow and i thought heath ledger's jack palance impression left much to be desired.

Jargo
02-13-2006, 01:28 PM
I've not watched this yet. I'm waiting for someone to download it for me hehe. I don't like jake jill-an-hall but I've always liked Heath Ledger. Good old Aussie spunk. Ledger has the potential to be a first class actor as he matures but jill-an-hall is just another pretty boy favourite of the casting directors. I get the impression they're trying to tout him as some kind of Christian Bale a like but he'll never come close to even catching Bale's coat tails.
Ledger on the other hand could quite possibly go a long long way. be one of those actors who stays at the top quietly for his entire career. As long as he starts picking decent projects.

not so interestingly, Jack Palance scares the living crap out of me. just seeing his face brings me out in a cold sweat of fear. No idea why but there ya go.

JEDIpartner
02-13-2006, 04:06 PM
It was an amazing film and a proper classic. This is movie making for people with brains, hearts and oodles of feeling on a cross-human level. People were sobbing at the end of the movies... I'm not talking about the gay contingent but middle-aged and elderly breeder couples. If it can affect people on that sort of level, something must have been done properly!

darthvyn
02-13-2006, 05:04 PM
the movie was very good. i think it was just a bit too drawn out.

Aragornsfate
02-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Personally, I think the movie could have been made with straight characters.

James Boba Fettfield
02-13-2006, 06:39 PM
That would change the movie into something else entirely.

...and it would be a slap in the face to Proulx's short story.

Jargo
02-13-2006, 09:22 PM
So is there any like - nuditee in the movie? Or will I have to go watch some Ewan Mcgregor non star wars movie again afterwards...

2-1B
02-13-2006, 09:36 PM
There is some Jargo, but not much. A few bum shots of the male leads and a distant look at their fruit baskets as they jump off a ridge into the water. There seemed to be more female nudity with little Annie Hathaway all grown up and flashing her rack, ditto Michelle Williams (who joined up with Heath on this project and now they have a baby together).

Anyway, I'm going to disagree with the anti-Jake sentiment here because I'm a big fan of his. He sold me several years back with Donnie Darko and he was great in Jarhead last year...I think he's solid in Brokeback and worthy of his Oscar nomination.

I loved Heath's performance, it moved me. So much pain hidden behind that rough outer shell, just a powerful performance all around. I teared up a bit at the end of my first viewing, for most of the characters involved.

Thanks for the 'splaining Vyn, much appreciated. See, that's what I was kind of getting the impression of BUT I was thrown off by Jack F****in' Twist saying something about Randy Quaid making them do something against the rules...because as you pointed out, they were already breaking the rules!

Maybe I was just distracted from this info because I was too busy marvelling at Cousin Eddie in that role. lol lol lol

Hey JP, glad to hear you liked the movie. I applaud your summary up there. I was surprised to hear that many people in my area liked it too. You know what this movie isn't getting enough credit for? Humor. I thought it had some genuinely funny parts and that helped me cling on to these characters even more. :)

El Chuxter
02-13-2006, 11:13 PM
I've not seen it yet. I want to, but movies are so damned expensive. I have to ask, though, if they eat any pudding during the course of the film.

(Kewpie doll to the first person to identity the reference.)

James Boba Fettfield
02-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Is it South Park?

El Chuxter
02-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Ding ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

Jargo
02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
'fruit baskets'? oh man i'm grinning from ear to ear right now. hahahehe oooh lordy! :D

I just downloaded a 'logo' tv special on the movie and the behind the scenes stuff and interviews yadda yadda. Gotta say old Jake sure knows how to pucker up. I just don't really see any depth to his acting. it appears to be mostly surface and not a lot underneath. but that could be coz he has a goofy face. his eyes are quite big and seem to be popping out most of the time. heath seems much more of an insular actor, more into the mindset of a character so it doesn't matter so much how he moves or sounds because it's all mental and that spills out in his performances. Jake looks like more of a mainstream actor. more of a jobbing actor.
I'm not explaining myself clearly here i feel. lets see - I see Heath as a modern Steve McQueen whereas I see Jake as a modern Warren Beatty. in fact yes, that fits perfectly. am i making things clearer or more muddy?

shammykenobi
02-14-2006, 11:29 PM
They should have called this movie, "Steers and Queers".

dakker
02-16-2006, 12:14 AM
In your rush to sound witty, you failed to notice they were herding sheep, not cattle. And I'm sorry, did someone degrade this significant film by making a smarmy comment about pudding? I've seen it twice, and probably will a third before it leaves the theater! While I may disagree with some of Jake Gyllenhaals comments re: whether the characters were gay or not, I think both he and Heath Ledger did a wonderful job. They seemed as honest as two straight guys playing gay could be. It's long overdue for the "normal" world to see that love is love no matter whom it is between. Now for all you straight guys that have to worry what your wives and girlfriends think your doing when you go camping with your "buddy" ! Ha Ha!
Revenge is best served cold (or by the Sith)
G'night folks

Slicker
02-16-2006, 01:18 AM
It's long overdue for the "normal" world to see that love is love no matter whom it is between.I totally agree. Especially if both chicks are hot. :yes:

As I stated in another thread I have yet to see Bareback Brokeback Mountain but I've heard many good things about it and I want to see it. But now from what I can gather this has started a revolution of "gay" movies. I think there's one with Adam Sandler and Kevin James coming out.

Rocketboy
02-16-2006, 01:37 AM
But now from what I can gather this has started a revolution of "gay" movies. I think there's one with Adam Sandler and Kevin James coming out."I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" From what I heard the other day, that's not really a "gay" movie. It's about 2 straight friends that get married just for the health insurance. Wherever I heard it also said it has been kicking around Hollywood for a few years now.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/09/film.sandler.reut/

JEDIpartner
02-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Adam Sandler and Kevin James...? Not pretty enough to be playing for our team. Then again, neither are Heath Codger or Jake Jellyhead. Still, Brokeback Mountain is not a film for stupid people. Nor is it a film for people living in the stoneage of social inclusions. If you have nothing intelligent to say about the film, then you really need to put your pants on and get lost 'cos we're all tired of f***ing with you and the likes of you.

And, please, Slicker... pig-face girl from Dawson's Creek is NOT HOT! She can act, though... :)

2-1B
02-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Gotta diagree with you there JP, I think Jakey and Heath Bar are a pair of handsome dudes. :) Of course, that's coming from my "straight" perspective but I don't find them to be uneasy on the eyes.

However as far as KJ and the Sandman go, well, no argument there. :D