PDA

View Full Version : SSG's NY Toy Fair Master Replicas Coverage

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Our own SirSteve got photos of the goods that MR rolled out at the New York Toy Fair '06, here's the gallery:

Toy Fair Master Replicas Photo Coverage (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4637)

The mini-blasters look great, I hope the price isn't too high because I definitely want 'em both.

I have to admit, that umbrella is kinda cute, I gather they're not who made it, just distributing it, I remember seeing the Japanese manufacturer news last year.

I am surprised they're doing a Maul FX saber in 1 box, I know the rumors were abound on that but it still caught me off guard to see the box for the "full saber".

There's lots more to see, so check it all out!

Tycho
02-13-2006, 07:22 PM
I didn't see evidence of the Maul FX saber being available as a whole (2 bladed set) in 1 box. I planned to buy 2 half-sabers and put them together. Either way, that thing is awesome! Did they say when you can order it? I have to have one now!

Meanwhile, Obi-Wan's ROTS/ANH saber sucks. It's the thick-neck issue MR warned us about. I can't wait for them to do a TPM saber for Obi-Wan. I'll be all over that.

A Star Wars poker set with cards and chips? Oh, God! We'll never hear the end of it once JediMasterSal sees that and starts bringing his to conventions :rolleyes: lol

The Millennium Falcon Studio Scale looks sweet! I've never bought a studio scale before, but that is my favorite ship in all of sci-fi (I think 2nd is the Blockade Runner and 3rd is the USS Defiant). The Falcon might be the first Studio Scale ship I buy. It's really tempting and Hasbro is not...

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Oh, also, Steve is still working the show and the after-show stuff, but he just told me that he heard the Maul Force FX saber will be sold both ways, as the regular half-saber and 2 of the regular half-sabers to make up the whole (the whole version's box is in the gallery), and that the "full saber" box will likely be a little cheaper than buying 2 separate ones.

Meanwhile, Obi-Wan's ROTS/ANH saber sucks. It's the thick-neck issue MR warned us about.We knew it was gonna be like that. I think it looks good, the materials look nice and help separate the neck from the other parts, that's what bothered me about the Luke ROTJ is that the neck blends too easily with the surroundings. BTW, it's only the Kenobi ROTS saber, the saber in ANH is significantly different and hopefully they'll cover it in FX form down the road.

Here's one of the Maul FX full saber box photos, there are more: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=17083&cat=4637
(that URL will be moving soon, I am organizing the coverage of Sideshow now and MR is up next) It looks to me like the sabers will be on top of each other, which is MUCH better than some huge 8' box (not that MR wouldn't try it if they wanted, I gather the box on the AT-AT is a monster :D).

The poster board MR had with the Falcon didn't really speak to me more than any other quality model of the Falcon, but Steve wisely got that shot of someone at the booth holding a 2-dimensional mockup of the size of their studio model and it's a great size! I'd be all over this one if I could afford it, or if I used those blackmail photos of Tycho ;)
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=17069&cat=4637

FalconFreak
02-13-2006, 09:20 PM
You guys may know this already, but that posterboard Falcon they're holding up is an image of the actual 32 inch ESB Falcon prop used in the movie, not the MR prototype. But not to fear, I've been fine toothing those unpainted "master pattern" images posted from their display booth with those of the posterboard Falcon and my own personal reference files and they are awesomely accurate! Of course.

VERY exciting indeed!

FalconFreak
02-13-2006, 10:00 PM
to clearify - in that last comment, I didn't intend to make MR sound like they were pulling one over on us with the posterboard cut out Falcon - I'm sure they intended to have something "finished" to show actual scale with a person and build excitement. It is a great idea.(They're probably telling people who ask about the cut out that it's a pic of the real movie prop, but alas I'm not there. I only know what I see on the posts and was passing along info I'm personally excited about.)

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 10:10 PM
MR's Studio Scale vehicle prop replicas are all built to be the same size and details as the actual movie props, so that cardboard cutout of the Falcon represents their Studio Scale version which will be the same size as the movie prop.

Bacta Beast
02-14-2006, 01:23 AM
" Father forgive me for I have sinned, I have lusted after MR in my heart"

Does anyone know what the price point on the costumes is going to be?

I want an umbrella now!!!

jedi master sal
02-14-2006, 08:34 AM
I want to know the price of that Falcon...

I'm guessing $1500 or more. Closer to $2K.

A Star Wars poker set with cards and chips? Oh, God! We'll never hear the end of it once JediMasterSal sees that and starts bringing his to conventions :rolleyes: lol

What the ...why you little...

heh heh. Nah, I'm passing on those. Chips are chips. Maybe if you guys would have come over for a game of Texas Hold'Em I could have won the money to pay for this set.

Tycho
02-14-2006, 03:10 PM
What the ...why you little...

heh heh. Nah, I'm passing on those. Chips are chips. Maybe if you guys would have come over for a game of Texas Hold'Em I could have won the money to pay for this set.

That's what I was afraid of in the first place. Don't you play Tatooine Hold'Em now? :D

(or is that when you buy a lot of Sandtroopers?)

Slicker
02-14-2006, 03:33 PM
I've never bought a MR piece (and it's kinda late to start now) but the studio vehicles always impress me. I'd still like to get the AT-AT with the snowspeeder base but I'll just wait and see if the aftermarket price goes down any.

And once again good work on the pictures by Steve.

Jayspawn
02-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Nice looking pictures! Looks like a good year coming for Master Replicas. I'm getting the Qui-Gon LE and plan on getting the Boba Fett Helmet -incredible!

dr_evazan22
02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Slick - It's never to late to start collecting MR. All you need to do is get your first one and get the ones you like.

The Boba helemt... Is that finished? Or will they be adding some kind of padding or something to make it wearable? I know the Vader helmet is wearable, but I'm not too sure of the trooper helmets.

My dad and brother are both carpenters. I'll have to have them make a glass coffee table I can put the Studio Scale Falcon in to keep it free of dust, out of the way but still the center of attention. Looking forwardto seeing a finished version.

JediTricks
02-14-2006, 08:59 PM
" Father forgive me for I have sinned, I have lusted after MR in my heart"

Does anyone know what the price point on the costumes is going to be?

I want an umbrella now!!!
Costumes are still not totally fleshed out I gather, they're not 100% sure how they'll offer them IF they'll offer them.

MovieFan
02-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Costumes are still not totally fleshed out I gather, they're not 100% sure how they'll offer them IF they'll offer them.

Finished or not they rock. The Anakin costume looks like the one we've seen in the past with some possible upgrads but that Wolverine is a first. I'm seeing it all over the place and I definately want to see it in their line up. It's going to be a must have for sure. It's time to see some good quality costumes to compliment their props. I hope they get them worked in soon. That Falcon is also going to be a must have.

DarthQuack
02-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Maul's saber almost made me wet myself....

JediTricks
02-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah, MR had it going on at TF, it's going to be tough choosing between them.

As for costumes, MR seems to really understand what folks want from movie costume replicas, I suppose that's because they're a Prop Replica company rather than a Costume company like Rubies. Hopefully they get enough positive feedback on these to warrant a release soon. If they ever do a Stormtrooper, Boba Fett, or Vader costume, even if they weren't WEARABLE people would still be going ape over that (though they'd first spend months of their lives complaining about them not being wearable - nature of the hobby beast :p).

FalconFreak
02-16-2006, 09:25 AM
I hope MR posts the original images of the Falcon master they used in their booth. Those were tantilizing for sure, but they were pictures of pictures. I think I'll e-mail them and request a MF post on their blog now that the show's over. Everyone should drop them a line so it gets up quicker.:thumbsup:

MovieFan
02-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, MR had it going on at TF, it's going to be tough choosing between them.

As for costumes, MR seems to really understand what folks want from movie costume replicas, I suppose that's because they're a Prop Replica company rather than a Costume company like Rubies. Hopefully they get enough positive feedback on these to warrant a release soon. If they ever do a Stormtrooper, Boba Fett, or Vader costume, even if they weren't WEARABLE people would still be going ape over that (though they'd first spend months of their lives complaining about them not being wearable - nature of the hobby beast :p).

I'll say this, many of us are very happy to know that MR are taking the costumes seriously. I dont want to see Rubies type costumes from MR but I do want to see good quality replica costumes just like their props. I am dying to get that Wolverine and would love a good Anakin to go with my EP3 MR saber. If they ever did a Stormtrooper or better still a VADER with their attention to detail it would probably be the most incredible suit ever. A dream come true for us all. For now I have my sights set on that sweet Wolverine and I do hope these are wearable. MR is going to make our dreams come true.