PDA

View Full Version : Do you collect sealed or loose figures?

JediTricks
02-15-2006, 01:31 PM
This is a quick poll, pretty straight-up, with only 3 options to choose from above. Are you a loose or MOC (mint-on-card) collector? Do you open your figures - and other collectibles too - or keep them packaged?

Keep in mind that pretty much everybody has a few of the other kind, so that's why it says "mostly loose" and "mostly sealed", we're not talking absolutes, you can have 75% sealed figures and still vote for "mostly sealed". There's also a poll option for 50/50 (half loose, half sealed), so make sure you click the one that most closely applies to you.

Also, remember when you post in the thread that everybody collects differently, you don't have to dump on MOC collectors just because you rip open that packaging the second you get it out of the store, we're all in this hobby together.

Slicker
02-15-2006, 01:34 PM
MOC for me. Always have been and always will be. Heck the only 2 ROTS figures I've opened were someone elses that were being shipped to 'em.

El Chuxter
02-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Then vote. Duh. If three people have posted and one says MOMC, but the results say 100% loose, then obviously you forgot to vote. :p

With the exception of a few higher-end pieces (Celebration Vader, Jorg Sacul, etc), my collection is all free!!! (As in not imprisoned by plastic, not free of charge.)

JediTricks
02-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Ha! I was just about to tell him that. Slicker: go vote on the poll itself! I know 1 of the 2 votes currently on the board for Loose is mine, the other is almost certainly Chux's, so what's the dealio? Oh, I bet I know what happened, he saw it in new posts and didn't realize it was a poll, yes?

Slicker
02-15-2006, 01:47 PM
I swear that I voted. It must've been a...uh...forum...glitch or something.

Stupid vBulletin.

stillakid
02-15-2006, 01:53 PM
They all start out sealed, but most wind up loose. :D

The only things I keep sealed are special exclusives from conventions and the like...everything else is free!

JediTricks
02-15-2006, 02:13 PM
I swear that I voted. It must've been a...uh...forum...glitch or something.

Stupid vBulletin.
That's right, blame the computer, it can't defend itself. :p

bobafrett
02-15-2006, 02:40 PM
I keep most of my collection sealed. If I only buy 1 figure, then it stays sealed, if I buy a second, providing it isn't a variant of the 1st, like the blue saber and red saber Palpatine, thenI will usually open the 2nd figure, though while I was photograping my collection, I found many sealed figures that I had bought doubles of, but never opened the second as of yet. I tend to like to keep things as orginized as time allows, opening up figures makes it messy when they loose there weapons, or you go to bag the weapon/accesories and label each, where as keeping them on the card keeps it all neat, and with the figure and the art work or series it came with.

Rogue II
02-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Most of mine are loose. I do have some carded, but I might be looking to trade them sooner or later.

Kidhuman
02-15-2006, 03:38 PM
LMK R-duece if ya trade or sell them.

I voted carded(sealed). I think i have 3 figures(non vintage) that are opened.

vader68
02-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Mine are all sealed up. I think the only ones I opened were the mail away Kenobi's that came in the little box. At least I think they were Kenobis,it has been awhile seen I have seen them.

Battle Droid
02-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I have one figure sealed, so mostly loose.

figrin bran
02-15-2006, 05:35 PM
predominantly loose. JT said no dumping so that's all i have to say :p

UKWildcat
02-15-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd say 95% of my collection is on the card. I do have a few loose figures. Most of them are vintage, some are more recent. If Santa brought me a carded figure that I already owned and it was beat up it would get opened and displayed.

jedi master sal
02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Before OTC I was mostly loose. With OTC I was 50/50, With ROTS it was about 70loose/30carded, now with TSC, it's back to about 90% loose.

I don't have teh room for carded figures. Heck I don't havce the room for loose figures either. What I do is release them from their hard plastic and cardboard prisons...to be transfered to a minimum security soft plastic (baggie) prison.

Eventually though all the loose ones will be displayed. Mostly in dioramas.

I will keep some carded. Mostly the HTF variants, as well as some others.

I've never been a soley or mostly carded collector though. No fun in that for me.

jaxx
02-16-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm about 99% carded. The few things that I have that are opened up are duplicates. Seeing the figures on their cards just takes me back to my childhood... I guess it's my way of staying eternally young. My girlfriend would argue that it's my way of staying eternally immature... unfortunately!:ermm:

Tycho
02-16-2006, 02:14 AM
Before OTC I was mostly loose. With OTC I was 50/50, With ROTS it was about 70loose/30carded, now with TSC, it's back to about 90% loose.

I don't have teh room for carded figures. Heck I don't havce the room for loose figures either. What I do is release them from their hard plastic and cardboard prisons...to be transfered to a minimum security soft plastic (baggie) prison.

Eventually though all the loose ones will be displayed. Mostly in dioramas.

I will keep some carded. Mostly the HTF variants, as well as some others.

I've never been a soley or mostly carded collector though. No fun in that for me.

JT: with Sal and I voting on this poll, you need to add about 75 votes a piece for each of us to the "loose" option to accurately reflect how we skew the vote. :D

plasticfetish
02-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Mostly loose... but I do like to keep some carded, including a few of each new card style or "special" figures. Same goes for boxed things like vehicles, etc.

Blue2th
02-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Use to be MOMC only. Then some of them got waterlogged when my water heater broke in the garage. So I opened them. It was a happy accident. Now I enjoy the loose factor more. Even though I still like a complete set of carded. After my loose experience, I found myself going back and buying repeats for a complete loose collection that I'm still working on.

jedi master sal
02-16-2006, 07:41 AM
JT: with Sal and I voting on this poll, you need to add about 75 votes a piece for each of us to the "loose" option to accurately reflect how we skew the vote. :D

Hey! I resemble that remark...heh heh

Yeah I think into the multi-thousands of figures does kinds of skew our vote.

I'm curios what the average amount of figures are that people own.

Hey that could be a good poll. (It's not a competitioin either) Just a way to say how many people collect and what a non-scientific average is of SSG'ers.

JT should you decide to post that poll, might I suggest something like this for the options:

None
Under 100
100-200
201-500
501-1000
1001-1500
1501-2000
2001-3000
Over 3000

If I had to guess I'd say that on average collectors own in the 501-1000 range. Then there's guys like me and Tycho... I know I'm in the over 3000 range.

the_emporer
02-16-2006, 07:43 AM
I started with a loose vintage collection. So, I wanted to keep the loose collection going along with the sealed collection. Unfortunately, I have to buy 2 of everything. It can be a little rough on the wallet!

stillakid
02-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Hey! I resemble that remark...heh heh

Yeah I think into the multi-thousands of figures does kinds of skew our vote.

I'm curios what the average amount of figures are that people own.

Hey that could be a good poll. (It's not a competitioin either) Just a way to say how many people collect and what a non-scientific average is of SSG'ers.

JT should you decide to post that poll, might I suggest something like this for the options:

None
Under 100
100-200
201-500
501-1000
1001-1500
1501-2000
2001-3000
Over 3000

If I had to guess I'd say that on average collectors own in the 501-1000 range. Then there's guys like me and Tycho... I know I'm in the over 3000 range.

Check out the link in my sig line....

jedi master sal
02-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Use to be MOMC only. Then some of them got waterlogged when my water heater broke in the garage. So I opened them. It was a happy accident. Now I enjoy the loose factor more. Even though I still like a complete set of carded. After my loose experience, I found myself going back and buying repeats for a complete loose collection that I'm still working on.

Congrats on being an opener now. Personally I find it much more enjoyable to open them up. You get to see the figure from all viewpoints. You can feel the textures of the sculpts, test out teh articulation for yourself...and of course Tycho's neurosis of SMELLING the figure when you first open it...

It's funny but I do that now and have even got my fiancee to do the same with her Marvel Legends figs.

I know there's an argument for losing pieces or forgetting what accessory goes with what. For the first part all you can do is be as careful as possible. I'd NEVER allow a kid or animal to come cloes to the collection for fear of them walking away , chewing and/or swallowing it, etc. As for forgetting, well that's why we have the internet. There are MANY good sites out there for reference.

For me at present, since I don't have enough room, I open the stuff, take a few minutes to check them out fully, then bag them in a ziploc like bag to be catalogued then stored for future display. That for me is the part that sucks the most. Until I get a much bigger place and vast majority of my collection is in storage. The part that's not is usually what's recently purchased and as yet not been catalogued. Though I do keep a few favorites on display, like the Unleashed Boba for instance. (Loose of course)

-Sal

waboritas
02-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Mine are all carded, for now. They will be opened in the next 4 or 5 years when I have a kid old enough for them. My wife will be amazed how little space they take up and won't have anything to complain about. Well, at least she won't complain about Star Wars taking up too much space.

jedi master sal
02-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Check out the link in my sig line....

Okay so going along with that, I posted in that thread.

Lazer Brain
02-16-2006, 09:11 AM
well i started with loose collecting , but after i saw a friend of mines all carded collection, well i got card envy. so now i collect loose and carded, excexpt for recarded figures, if i already have it loose i just need to get the new card once.
later

Rocketboy
02-16-2006, 10:00 AM
I voted mostly loose (but I don't ask about their personal lives).
When they restarted this whole thing back in 95, I was a 50/50 guy. I'd buy 2 of the ones I wanted to open. But as the hobby got too expensive and figures got impossible to find, I just bought the ones I wanted to open.

Darth Cruel
02-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Most certainly sealed on the card. Although I do not care about the value, I do cace that they stay in as-close-as-possible to pristine condition. If I want to display (read: play with, who am I kidding) any of them, I get extras of those to open. And besides, with the limited articulation on most of the figures, there is not much that can be done with them outside of dioramas(for me, I am not speaking for anyone else) that isn't represented when they are posed in the bubble, so why waste time opening them.

DarkArtist
02-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Loose. At one point it was a mix of both, but after finding storage space I stopped and sold a bunch at a local flea market. Still have about 100 MOC but now I just collect loose. After all they are toys that are meant to be played with and enjoyed.:thumbsup:

BountyHunterScum
02-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Then vote. Duh. If three people have posted and one says MOMC, but the results say 100% loose, then obviously you forgot to vote. :p

With the exception of a few higher-end pieces (Celebration Vader, Jorg Sacul, etc), my collection is all free!!! (As in not imprisoned by plastic, not free of charge.)

Precisely, most of my SW figs are opened except the rare ones like Target Lava Vader and TRU Holo Yoda. A friend sold me two 12" Ep1 darth mauls a while back. good deal too. one open one packaged.

Captain Spoon
02-16-2006, 11:14 AM
I used to open them when i was younger but since Episode 1 I have been a MOMC collector. I will buy doubles to open the cool looking ones, like Aayla, Gree, Bly, Younglins and stuff like that

timmae
02-16-2006, 11:48 AM
i voted mostly carded. my only display now is yoda and yaddle at the bar, surrounded by 5 exclusive rots troopers. i have lots of astromechs and vintage, but they are stored away. just got another idea to extend my display...put my greedo and greata at the bar next to yoda and yaddle!

c_richards
02-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I generally keep my figures MOC. However, if there is a figure that I really like, I will buy an extra just to open!

jal
02-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Most of mine are still carded. I have opened some things though such as the VOTC figures and if theres a really good scuplt of a character. I probably have about 20 opened and an opened TIE Bomber. The other thousands of figures are still in their protective little bubbles until the day a fire or tornado wipes them out. LOL

dr_evazan22
02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Up until Ep 1 I used to try to buy 2 of each, 1 to open and 1 to keep carded. Also used to be completis. I've broken myself of both habits. Right now I have a bunch of fig's waiting to be opened, but parts of the collection (displays) are in flux, so they're waiting to be liberated.

JediTricks
02-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Good, the 50/50 crowd does still exist, I was beginning to wonder with so few votes yesterday.

Somehow, I don't think having 3000+ figures makes one person count as 2 collectors. Or have you attached them to your body like a plastic conjoined twin? ;)

I'll keep that poll in mind.

skeeziks22
02-16-2006, 03:41 PM
I am assuming we are talking about collections from 1995 on. All my vintage figures are loose except the ones that I have purchased in the 90's and on. All my modern figures are sealed except a few duplicates that I have acquired one way or another (on birthday cakes, bounty hunters to display etc.).

Most of these figures stand up better inside their card than they do on their own. I displayed my vinatge figures when i was young and the slightest bump set off the Domino effect. Now with ten times that many figures I would hate to see that mess!

JediTricks
02-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Modern or both lines is fine, you can define it your way, how you think of your collection.

All of my collection is loose, I live in Southern California on the 4th story of an apartment building at the foot of a small mountain, so I get earthquakes from time to time but rarely have domino effect anymore, the figures stand on their own pretty well. The Kenner vintage figures had very small feet and their stances were stiff and close together rather than dynamic and natural like the modern line, I think that's part of what the change comes from.

Tycho
02-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Somehow, I don't think having 3000+ figures makes one person count as 2 collectors. Or have you attached them to your body like a plastic conjoined twin? ;)

Of course. You know I stick mine up my nose. "R2D2 where are you?" lol

jedi master sal
02-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Or have you attached them to your body like a plastic conjoined twin?

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind...

If I ever become bored of them, perhaps I may just melt them down and make one big life-sized action figure, ha ha ha. (very doubtful though)

Dark Marble
02-16-2006, 04:38 PM
It has been a while since I posted but all of my figures are loose with a couple of exceptions. The VOTC figures are just to nice to open!!

skeeziks22
02-16-2006, 05:52 PM
The Kenner vintage figures had very small feet and their stances were stiff and close together rather than dynamic and natural like the modern line, I think that's part of what the change comes from.

You're probably right. I remember getting all my figures out, putting all the guns in their hands and then trying to get them all to stand up. This was the longest part... and I loved the ewoks for this reason only. The worst were 3PO and the Death Star Droid. Their limbs got so loose they could barely do anthing but sit down. By the time I was done standing them all up I was bored with them and would start putting them away. I had (and still have) all but 2 of the vintage figures, plus multiples of the troopers (~120 in all). Because of that cycle these figures are in nearly unplayed with condition.

And since I don't play with the modern toys or make dioramas they have all remained sealed. The only reason I would open them is to save storage. I'll either let my children open them, or sell them sealed, but I doubt I will open them myself.

Kidhuman
02-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Actually, alot of the vintage figures were hard to stand. Alot of them had "short legged" syndrome in which one leg is slightly longer(or shorter) than the other.

LusiferSam
02-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Actually, alot of the vintage figures were hard to stand. Alot of them had "short legged" syndrome in which one leg is slightly longer(or shorter) than the other.
Tell me about it. Try taking good photos of figure who don't like to stand on their own.

I'm 100% loose, and would not have it any other way. After all what fun is a toy you can't play with?

JediTricks
02-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Nice sig JMS! :D

I have only a few vintage figures, my 3PO definitely is too loose-jointed to stand anymore. I think I have a death star droid around here somewhere too and he's in the same boat.

bobafrett
02-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Here are two pictures from my collection. Carded in the Yaffa blocks next to my bed, and loose at one end of my entertainment center. I do have quite a few loose now that I look at it, but still far more carded than loose.

Reverend Strone
02-16-2006, 10:26 PM
100% loose baby! I buy 'em to tear out of their packaging and make scenes with them. Never had the 'keep in packet' bug, no matter how beautiful it is, though I must say, the titaniums were the first line to seriously tempt me in that direction- they did look so nice in their snazzy packaging. :)

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2006, 01:21 AM
When I started collecting the modern line in 1999, I was virtually all on the card with the exception of a few duplicates and army builders. I always planned on opening them sometime though. A year or two ago, I began opening a bunch up. Now I am closer to about 50/50. I really liked the OTC and VOTC, so I got duplicates of the VOTC and non-repack OTC to open so that I could have a complete carded set of those. The ROTS line was the first line where I had most of them opened before the end of the line. I kept a duplicate of each ROTS army builder on the card, but other than that, there are only a few that I have yet to open. So far with the new Saga figures, I've opened 5 of the 14 figures that I have bought. Two of the unopened ones are army builders that I also have a loose version of.

IG65
02-17-2006, 09:49 AM
I have mostly loose, with a few figs still packaged waiting to be opened. All the 12" get opened, and I also collect vehicles and figs for them,so they also get opened for display. The main problem is finding enough room to display them. That seems to be a common theme among posts in this thread.

mtriv73
02-17-2006, 02:08 PM
95% of mine are sealed and I have sealed duplicates of the ones I opened. I figure they'll all stay that way until my wife and I have a kid who is old enough to go into the SW room and open them all one day. The only reason I bought most of the OTC figures was for the packaging.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Mostly sealed but I am starting to approach the 50 - 50 number. :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-18-2006, 01:37 AM
So far with the new Saga figures, I've opened 5 of the 14 figures that I have bought. Two of the unopened ones are army builders that I also have a loose version of.

Not any more. The two duplicate army builders are now the only two not opened. I opened the others tonight.

lordtomm
02-18-2006, 10:55 AM
All mine are loose. I get a sick pleasure from opening up exclusive figures and vintage figures

OC47150
02-20-2006, 10:05 AM
The majority of my figures are carded but I do buy/trade a lot of loose figures for displays, dioramas and customizing.

Tycho
02-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I decided to f-up JT's poll by half-loosening my newest figures, thereby requiring JT to add an additional category. :D

I strategically cut holes in my new figures blister packaging (pictures forthcoming) and stick their heads, arms, legs, certain accessories, out of the packaging (so I can sniff them) and leave the rest of the figure inside.

I was totally inspired for this idea by this thread. Some people will go to extreme lengths just to get attention and be different. I'm so immature that sometimes I even amaze myself. lol

JediTricks
02-20-2006, 04:29 PM
That'd be "mostly sealed" Tycho.

jedi master sal
02-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Or mostly loose...

Or 50/50...

JediTricks
02-21-2006, 02:52 PM
No, most of the figure is still inside the bubble, that means it's still "mostly" sealed. If Tycho removed the entire bubble but taped the tray onto the card, that'd be 50/50. ;)

BTW, how crazy is it that the Sealed crowd just overtook the Loose crowd in the poll? Is that really the case and the sealed voters are just late-comers, or did some sealed fan decide to fix the poll? I could see either happening. :D

Slicker
02-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Maybe there are a bunch of false-sealed collectors out there. They put 'em in ziploc baggies and convince themselves that they're still sealed.

Tycho
02-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Yes. There's nothing more delusional than False-Sealed Collectors, Slicker. But, hypocritically as ever, they CAN sniff their new figures. So ya gotta have some respect for that.

skeeziks22
02-21-2006, 05:36 PM
That's how all my vintage figures are "sealed." But I admitted that they are loose (though cozy in their zip-lock love)... and yes... the smell of vintage plastic! Actually much better than the nastiness of today's toys.

Five years ago the sealed collectors would have blown away the other categories on this poll. You openers are pulling more people to your cause, but many of us have held strong.

Blue2th
02-21-2006, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=skeeziks22]That's how all my vintage figures are "sealed." But I admitted that they are loose (though cozy in their zip-lock love)... and yes... the smell of vintage plastic! Actually much better than the nastiness of today's toys.

Ever open an Ephant Mon or an Unleashed? The smell of the plastic is almost unbearable! Toxic it is.

lordtomm
02-22-2006, 10:36 AM
99% of my figures are loose. But I want to keep them in as mint a I can, so when not on display commiting un Jedi like acts, all mine figures are safe and sound in Zip-lock bags

skeeziks22
02-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Ever open an Ephant Mon or an Unleashed? The smell of the plastic is almost unbearable! Toxic it is.

I've opened a few, and they are pretty nasty, but I understand some are much worse than others. I've opened a few Marvel Legends as well and the same story holds there. At least it's not something only Hasbro can be faulted with.

plasticfetish
02-22-2006, 01:27 PM
I love my Zip-Lock bags as much as the next guy, but I don't think that's what "sealed" means in this case. ;)
That's how all my vintage figures are "sealed." But I admitted that they are loose (though cozy in their zip-lock love)... and yes... the smell of vintage plastic! Actually much better than the nastiness of today's toys.
Ever open an Ephant Mon or an Unleashed? The smell of the plastic is almost unbearable! Toxic it is.I've read that the smell you're talking about -- the really strong smell that you get when you first open your toy is in fact somewhat toxic. It comes from the plasticizers (or softeners) used in todays plastic toys that lets them cast more detailed figures. (I love that frigging smell BTW, but I've read that the chemical can cause cancer. :Par: )

If you bag your vintage figures, it's a good idea to leave the bag open just a little. Some of the older plastic toys can react in funny (not ha-ha funny) ways over time when sealed up in plastic bags.

Tycho
02-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I sniff all my new figures and look what happened to me this past summer!

:crazed:

skeeziks22
02-22-2006, 02:13 PM
If you bag your vintage figures, it's a good idea to leave the bag open just a little. Some of the older plastic toys can react in funny (not ha-ha funny) ways over time when sealed up in plastic bags.

Good to know. I've never had a problem once they are in the baggies myself. It has actually prevented the powdery film that attaches to some figures. I am not sure if this is some type of mold, or simply dust collecting in crevaces of the figures. Easy enough to clean, but still annoying, thus the transfer to zip-locks. Some of the older figures can get a bit tacky over time. I am not sure if this is due to the plastic used, or the location they were made, or maybe even the paint... but the baggies tend to keep them dryer, thus no tackiness.

bobafrett
02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I sniff all my new figures and look what happened to me this past summer!

:crazed:

So that explains it. :hurt: Better hope your medical insurance company doesn't check in regularly to SSG, they might deny your claim upon reading this bit of information! :D

plasticfetish
02-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Yeah, that's mostly dust on those figures, which when combined with heat and/or sunlight can cause you're older toys to do weird things. (Yellow, get sticky, etc.) Keeping them away from dust and UV light is good, but it's also good to let them "breathe" a little.

A lot of newer toys have similar problems when it come to being sealed up in plastic bags. Mostly it's because the plasticizer can't evaporate. I've noticed that with some of the Japanese "candy toys" that I buy, that the plastic parts come packed in bags with holes in them... almost like little mesh bags.

Yeah, I sniff all my new figures and look what happened to me this past summer!I was gonna say something, but.... :)

If anything, the chemicals have probably made you stronger now. Some kind of Mouse Droid huffing mutant.

sjd9299
02-22-2006, 07:07 PM
I voted carded but that is just for new figures. I collect mainly loose vintage figures and vehicles and will buy a carded peice when the price is right. As for the new stuff. If get one it stays sealed. If I get two or more at least one gets opened up. So I guess I would prefer loose but space limits me to keep most of them carded and I like the package artwork too.

UKWildcat
02-22-2006, 08:56 PM
I voted carded but that is just for new figures. I collect mainly loose vintage figures and vehicles and will buy a carded peice when the price is right. As for the new stuff. If get one it stays sealed. If I get two or more at least one gets opened up. So I guess I would prefer loose but space limits me to keep most of them carded and I like the package artwork too.

Sounds like you maybe should've voted 50/50 then. ;) :D

Mad Slanted Powers
02-22-2006, 10:59 PM
If anything, the chemicals have probably made you stronger now. Some kind of Mouse Droid huffing mutant.
That is hilarious. Even more so because I'm looking at the Ephant Mon figure I have on my desk, so that is what I'm picturing for a "Mouse Droid huffing mutant".

skeeziks22
02-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Sounds like you maybe should've voted 50/50 then. ;) :D

Except that there are only about 110-120 vintage figures including common variations. There are over 500 modern figures so if these are all sealed (and some the vintage are seald as well), then it is mostly sealed. That, at least, was tthe logic I used in my vote.

Tycho
02-23-2006, 01:01 PM
That is hilarious. Even more so because I'm looking at the Ephant Mon figure I have on my desk, so that is what I'm picturing for a "Mouse Droid huffing mutant".

I'm scared because I haven't visually confirmed I still have my 2 Ephant Mons after my accident and being moved. I didn't sleep well last night, so I don't really feel like working in my storage today. I'll probably hit the gym and then nap before Smallville (gotta catch some re-runs I missed the first time they were on).

JediTricks
02-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Except that there are only about 110-120 vintage figures including common variations. There are over 500 modern figures so if these are all sealed (and some the vintage are seald as well), then it is mostly sealed. That, at least, was tthe logic I used in my vote.
That makes perfect sense, exactly the type of logic I was hoping voters would take into account on this poll. :thumbsup:

Sorry Tycho, no Smallville (rerun or otherwise) tonight, they're showing some movie... ugh, I just looked up which, "Just Married".

Tycho
02-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks JT. Now I have no excuse not to do a full-workout-routine when I go to the gym. I'm actually not being sarcastic. I need to do it. Smallville would have only provided a convenient excuse.

JediTricks
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Take it easy, don't overdo it and pop another vessel, that totally SUCKED.

Tycho
02-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Take it easy, don't overdo it and pop another vessel, that totally SUCKED.

You're telling me? lol

UKWildcat
02-23-2006, 10:59 PM
That, at least, was tthe logic I used in my vote.

That makes perfect sense, exactly the type of logic I was hoping voters would take into account on this poll.
Logic shhmlogic... ;)

JediTricks
02-23-2006, 11:21 PM
You're telling me? lol How would you know? You weren't even awake. ;) Really, we should ask *the first person in your cellphone who got that call and whom I won't mention here because it might not be appropriate* because they didn't even know you that well. :p

Logic shhmlogic... ;)Ah, the Bizarro Spock's motto. :D

Tycho
02-24-2006, 02:38 AM
How would you know? You weren't even awake. ;) Really, we should ask *the first person in your cellphone who got that call and whom I won't mention here because it might not be appropriate* because they didn't even know you that well. :p

You're right. I wasn't conscious. The hospital chaplain went through my cell phone calls and some stored numbers (blindly) so I have no idea who she called. They really didn't have much ID on me when they were trying to track down who they'd found "in emergency." I'd still like to learn more about that night (those early days) whenever possible. I think they reached my uncle pretty quick, and locally my friend Tony stepped up and took responsiblity for me. Those might not have been the first folks they reached, and the incident happened late at night when I sometimes work out. You're right: it may have been a lot scarier if I was conscious.

BountyHunterScum
02-24-2006, 12:57 PM
They are toys meant to be played with, carefully.

JediTricks
02-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Some figures are meant to be posed and then collect dust for years and years, at least according to my collection. ;) Then there are some turkeys like Nikto Jedi who can't even be posed, but you know you can't leave him at the mercy of Hasbro's awful packing choices so you take him out and find out he looks good without his robe.

You're right. I wasn't conscious.No, I was kidding about that, I'm sure it sucked for you too even though you weren't conscious for long.

The hospital chaplain went through my cell phone calls and some stored numbers (blindly) so I have no idea who she called. They really didn't have much ID on me when they were trying to track down who they'd found "in emergency."It was such a shocker to hear about it from Steve who heard about it from *that person who I'm not going to mention, the first person in your cell at the time 'cause it started with an 'A' but you barely knew*, we had almost no info about it, at first we thought you were still here in LA since you had been earlier that day, no idea where.

I'd still like to learn more about that night (those early days) whenever possible. I think they reached my uncle pretty quick, and locally my friend Tony stepped up and took responsiblity for me. Those might not have been the first folks they reached, and the incident happened late at night when I sometimes work out. You're right: it may have been a lot scarier if I was conscious.I'm sure.

Tycho
02-24-2006, 04:32 PM
We're way off-topic here, but I thought the incident happened the day AFTER I went to LA and looked for all you guys (when I logged on at an internet cafe up there).

I stayed up in LA and partied that night after I'd been to several casting calls and I doubt I would have gone to the gym after I'd been to Pigs N Whistles. Unless I didn't drink. (I honestly don't remember) I might not have drank because I was driving all the way back to San Diego, but scary as this may be, I thought I might have been secretly drugged up there. It might not have taken effect until after I was home in San Diego and working out at the gym. I am usually sleepy after that LA-SD drive, but if I was energized because I nailed those roles (I did), I might have needed to go work out so I could sleep later. However, I remember calling my agent the next day (Tuesday, the day I had the aneurysm) and scheduling a screen test for later that week (which I never made, obviously). I thought my "breakdown" was that night (Tuesday) as that was August 2nd - my admission date into the hospital - though they could have logged me in at 1am or something following Monday night too. You have no idea how scary it is to lose your memory!

skeeziks22
02-24-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm sure I write for a lot of casual sirstevers who do not know the events or details of these events, but it sounds like Tycho went through a very trying ordeal that was compounded by location and circumstance. Sorry to hear that this happened and I can only wish you the best in a continued rehab and recovery. I can't imagine how scary that was, and likely probably more frighteneing in retrospect (since you weren't conscious for most of it).

If you need a break from the frantic San Diego/LA lifestyle come on up to Alaska... guaranteed a relaxing vacation.

Tycho
02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks. Actually, one day I will go to Alaska! That's one location I've always wanted to visit. I want to do one of those cruises or rowing expeditions where you see the killer whales. I also want to try dog-sledding (but I'll be the human of course), and I'd like to see some polar bears in the wild if possible. Alaska looks beautiful (too cold for a California boy, but a nice place to visit).

We are so off-topic. Hehe. Now go OPEN those figures! I can't believe the "Cardeds" are over-taking us "Loosers." But that's just like poker: if you have the right cards...

It's funny that our most famous Texas Hold'Em player here is a Looser, too, though. Raise those armies, boys! We shall yet prevail!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-25-2006, 01:36 PM
I spent the summers of 1988-1991 in Alaska working on my dad's fishing boat out of Cordova. At that point in time, I could say I was a 100% opener as all I had were my vintage figures from when I was a kid. Of course, that was in the Before Time. Looking at my copy of Heir to the Empire, June of 1991 was when it was published. I went to Alaska a little bit after that in mid July, unaware of this development. Little did I know that Star Wars was about to re-emerge as a significant thing in my life.

Tycho
02-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Hehehe. The warning signs were there: Alaska's got snow and it's white like Hoth. That should have been an indicator. Low and behold: you have General Veers in your collection now! (Loose or carded? I can't tell by your post)

JediTricks
02-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I thought the incident happened the day AFTER I went to LA and looked for all you guys (when I logged on at an internet cafe up there).From what you told me when you first came back on the forums after you woke up, you decided to stay here in LA and drive back to SD later that morning and you had mentioned you were sleepy, then instead of sleeping more you went and worked out, but originally you had told me you were gonna go back to SD later that night so that's why we thought you were still in LA when it happened.

"I might have needed to go work out so I could sleep later" - yeah, that's what you told me after you got out of the hospital, I thought it might have been a factor in the aneurism.

BTW, I can't believe you just called us "loosers", there's something so wrong about that. :p I consider myself an "opener", and if you're not careful I'll open your toys too, MUWAH HAH HAH! :evil: ;)

Tycho
02-25-2006, 07:15 PM
From what you told me when you first came back on the forums after you woke up, you decided to stay here in LA and drive back to SD later that morning and you had mentioned you were sleepy, then instead of sleeping more you went and worked out, but originally you had told me you were gonna go back to SD later that night so that's why we thought you were still in LA when it happened.

"I might have needed to go work out so I could sleep later" - yeah, that's what you told me after you got out of the hospital, I thought it might have been a factor in the aneurism.

BTW, I can't believe you just called us "loosers", there's something so wrong about that. :p I consider myself an "opener", and if you're not careful I'll open your toys too, MUWAH HAH HAH! :evil: ;)

I might have met some girls up there and intended to stay. When my friend had my cell phone, he did get some calls from girls he didn't recognize. (He usually knows what I'm up to and his wife hates me for it, hehe) Anyway, I could have gone to a 24 Hour Fitness up there, but I was taken out of San Diego State's gym by the ambulance, so I had to be down in San Diego. This is getting scary all over again.

oh - and I beat you to it. Most of my figures are opened. I'm "a looser," too!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Hehehe. The warning signs were there: Alaska's got snow and it's white like Hoth. That should have been an indicator. Low and behold: you have General Veers in your collection now! (Loose or carded? I can't tell by your post)

No snow there that far south in the summer. Just a "big rockpile" I think is how my dad put it. Thus I came up with my proposal for state slogan: "Alaska, land of rocks". And mosquitos, and gnats. One thing that was cool was that it didn't get very dark at night. There were some very nice stretches of weather, but also times where it seemed like it would never stop raining. So, just like home for me here in Washington.

My General Veers is free from his card. Last year's Hoth Battle pack is still sealed, so that version of Veers remains trapped for now. I never got the AT-AT so I didn't have the original version.

sergiurusu
07-17-2006, 02:10 AM
I collect loose. I like touching and feeling the figures or ships I have in my collection. I have just a few carded items.

Tycho
07-17-2006, 03:07 AM
I collect loose. I like touching and feeling the figures or ships I have in my collection. I have just a few carded items.

Learn to use as many of your senses as possible when appreciating your action figures. You must sniff them, especially when they are brand new and smell fresh from the package. Smell that? It is the smell of success. Older figures that are loose tend to lose their potency (even the Mouse Droid does eventually).

So you LOOK at them.
You TOUCH them.
If they have clicking domes or electronic sound-effects (like on Astromechs) you HEAR them.
Now SMELL them and your journey to the Dork Side will almost be complete!

If you really want to go far, after you've really smelled them while cooking them in boiling water with a towel over your head to capture a lot of the scented steam, eat them so you may TASTE the plastic!

Meanwhile, Transformer collectors who have a loose 20th Anniversary MP Optimus Prime - please sniff his electro-battle axe - after over a year or has it been 2? - this thing still smells strongly! However, both ends are rather large to insert in a normal human nostril. I will investigate if there are any medical advances being made in the area of nostril-stretching. But Prime (even over at least a year later) has become a favorite sniffing experience for me).

2-1B
07-17-2006, 03:20 AM
I have more loose figures than carded.

Luuuuuuke
07-17-2006, 09:11 PM
I mostly collect loose. The only things I keep at least one sealed version of are the VOTC and VSTC figures, an OTC Luke where he's upside down, the Georgetrooper(so far), an UGH Scorch, and UGH Grievous, two Target Shadowtroopers and one each of the clone-oriented battlepacks.

In comparison to what I keep loose, that's less than 2% probably.

jedi master sal
07-18-2006, 05:46 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say I keep anywhere up to 10% carded/boxed. Some due to space, but some because of either how they look in the box or on card; or if they are hyper exclusive. Then I try like hell to get two of them, so I can have one to open.

Right now I have about 10 tubs worth of stuff waiting to get catalogued and into storage. About 10% of that is still on the card/box. So that's a good representation of my entire collection. Whew, when that all gets done, I finally be just about caught up, barring any new purchases between here and then...

Took three years from time to time to get that all done.

Phantom-like Menace
07-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Once upon a time I collected one carded and one loose of each figure. I had to stop doing that the moment it became nearly impossible to find even one of some figures. I now never, unless I find one deeply discounted, purchase any figure to keep carded. In fact that three newest carded figures (the first I've kept carded since Episode II figures first came out) I have were purchased for me as gifts and one of those was kept carded purely because it was UGH.

Jaff
07-19-2006, 01:16 AM
I collected both loose and carded until 2002. Today I collect loose figs, but I buy two of every card version so that I may display the various packages since 1997. The other exception are the VOTC figures. I collect them in and out of packages.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-19-2006, 06:08 PM
I've been opening most of my new figures now. I still have a lot of older unopened figures, but most of them are one that I have newer better versions opened. Also, some of the rarer ones are still carded, but I opened my Ephant Mon so pretty much everything is fair game now. I'd open a lot more but I don't really have a good setup to display much more than what I have open now.

Hellboy
07-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Both carded and loose for me but I definitely lean more towards opening. I've sold a good portion of my carded collection to finance other collectibles so I'm pretty picky with new purchases. I really don't try and collect complete sets anymore especially with all the recarded offerings out there and boring package designs (Saga :p ROTS). I buy about 90% of the new releases to open and I love to army build so I'd say probably 4 out of every 5 figures I buy are openers.

Jargo
07-20-2006, 07:50 AM
if I wanted to see packaged product I'd visit a toy museum or just go visit a store. I buy the toys because they're toys, designed and produced to be played with. So not doing that seems pointless to me. I wouldn't buy a tv and leave it in its box. i wouldn't buy a couch and not use it. I wouldn't buy food and leave it forever packaged. i wouldn't buy clothes and not wear them. it's exactly the same with any product. i see no point in anything being in my posession if it serves no purpose or isn't used.

I would have voted all loose but the poll seems somewhat slanted towards carded/boxed.

DarkArtist
07-22-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm 50/50. It really has to be an interesting item such as the upcoming Tin Sets. Most of my stuff is loose.

Blue2th
07-22-2006, 09:13 PM
50/50. I used to be strict mint on mint card collector, and still somewhat of a completist, but I have just as many loose now on display. At least one of every figure from 1996 till now minus some re-packs. I have one whole room dedicated to mostly loose 3.75 figures, ships, beasts, posters, 7' Unleashed loose, Titanium loose, and the whole OTC and VOTC carded collection lining the upper edge of the wall. Still have a complete ROTS carded collection with every variation covering most of one wall from last year. But I will be taking that down for more shelf space for loose figures. Somehow I have to make room for an upcoming loose 12' Sideshow display with mixed Hasbro Figures/beasts/vehicles. I need a bigger house!

Tycho
07-24-2006, 07:45 PM
That SideShow Jabba the Hutt and throne dais is a really wonderful piece I just ordered while at Comic Con. But I actually dread the day it arrives (almost) as finding a place for it will be quite the challenge.

I'm also wondering about how much room I could make to order the MR Harrison Ford signature edition Millennium Falcon - that is now the ultimate Star Wars collectible in my opinion.

Blue2th
07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Yes, I just ordered Jabba and the whole shabang today. I didn't know you could order him at the Con? Of course I didn't check when I was there. Too crowded........... I think I'm going to put a shelf that goes all around the room maybe a foot and a half down from the ceiling for the 12" figures. And maybe make it deeper in the corners for figs like Jabba. It's the only solution I can come up with at the moment. Though I would like to keep all the Sideshow stuff behind glass. Maybe some Ikea cabinets. I should have stopped there at the one in SD, but I forgot.

Tycho
07-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Hehe. I live right down the street from Ikea. Maybe we can meet for lunch when you decide to get your cabinets.

I will have to dust Jabba regularly because I don't think I'll have room or desire to make a permanent fixture to display him in at my current apartment. I can't wait until one day when I have a house and the space to make it how I want it. However, when Jabba does arrive, I will bring my appropriate Hasbro 12" out of storage to see how they all look with him.

DarthBrandon
07-25-2006, 02:28 AM
Both for me, kids get loose, I get both.

Blue2th
07-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Hehe. I live right down the street from Ikea. Maybe we can meet for lunch when you decide to get your cabinets.

I will have to dust Jabba regularly because I don't think I'll have room or desire to make a permanent fixture to display him in at my current apartment. I can't wait until one day when I have a house and the space to make it how I want it. However, when Jabba does arrive, I will bring my appropriate Hasbro 12" out of storage to see how they all look with him.
That would be cool. Next years comic-con I will probably go to though I ended up at the beach half of the time. Being born on an Atoll (island) the ocean was almost spiritual for me....................... Jabba an his denizens should be done by spring next year. I'm hoping to get alot more glass cabinets for my ever-growing loose collection (it get's dusty out here) I enjoy the figures loose more than in their packages. I Probably will sell most of my packaged figures except the super-rare ones. It's no fun having a huge MIMB collection in storage because there is so much of it. I almost feel like a Hoarder.