PDA

View Full Version : What's next for .45 mini-sabers?

JediTricks
02-16-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm not really hip to all this, I just finally decided I had to have them after seeing the Toy Fair coverage of the mini-blasters and knowing I had to have those and if I had to have them, I had to have sabers too so I rushed out and bought a couple off ebay :p. But what's up on deck next for the sabers? I know they just showed off Qui-Gon's mini, should be decent, so what else? Have they announced or hinted at anything?

I'd like to see Vader's ESB saber, they have the ROTS and ANH sabers on the site already, but not ESB or ROTJ (though I think the ROTJ is a kinda unappealling version).

Also, they no longer even have up the Obi-Wan AOTC, released too long ago I suppose, but I'd love to see the Obi-Wan TPM version which is brushed aluminum instead of the chrome of AOTC's, and has a few other small different details.

I'm bummed that they did Maul's full saber as their club exclusive, makes it tough to get on ebay, nearly a hundred bucks and not many of them.

There's a few other sabers they still haven't done like Mace's Ep 1 saber and secondary characters, so I know there's still life in this line. Hopefully there will be some more new ones soon.

Jayspawn
02-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Got into the minis ey JT? :lipsrseal

I'm kinda curious to see where the future of the scaled replicas is going to go.

JediTricks
02-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Oh definitely, I finally realized that one of my passions for SW is props and especially lightsabers and if I can't afford the full-sized ones, I better get collecting these now while I still have a chance to get 'em.

Sentinel18725
02-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Got into these this year also. Dig them! Did manage to get the Maul Saber but I wish that the case was big enough to put it into. Oh, well.

FalconFreak
02-18-2006, 10:07 AM
My vote is for a full DMaul mini, an ROTJ Luke saber mini and ANH Solo blaster mini. You know what else would be cool? - a mini Force FX line. Hmmmm.:rolleyes:

Sith Lord 0498
02-18-2006, 02:05 PM
My vote is for a full DMaul mini, an ROTJ Luke saber mini and ANH Solo blaster mini. You know what else would be cool? - a mini Force FX line. Hmmmm.:rolleyes:

Full Darth Maul mini - already done as 2005 Collector's Society exclusive, but hopefully we'll see it mass-released (with a few very slight cosmetic changes to differentiate it from the exclusive)

Luke ROTJ mini - already done

ANH Solo blaster - forthcoming (check out the Toy Fair MR pics)

Maxu3x
02-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I think the blaster from han solo is from ESB.

JediTricks
02-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, I received the ones I ordered off ebay already, here are my thoughts on them:

Master Replicas .45 Scaled Replicas Luke Skywalker ROTJ Lightsaber - I actually have a full-sized, non-licensed, fan-built Luke ROTJ saber that I got just before MR came out which is almost perfect, yet MR's mini is even more accurate. They got all the shapes right, the neck, the upper body, the activation box with its green and red clear arrow buttons, even the pommel and triangular D-ring. The only issues are that the faux screws stamped into the tiny plate with the green and red buttons aren't real screws, and they painted their copyright on the bottom (subtly tho'). I am very happy with this for the $27 I paid.

Master Replicas .45 Scaled Replicas Darth Maul Battle Damaged TPM Lightsaber - If I couldn't have the full saber, I'd damn well have the half-sized halved version. The saber is a little thicker than Luke's and heavier, it has more details and the LEDs on the sides of the real saber are accurately portrayed ont his one. The paint is very nice except for a few spots where the clearcoat finish seems to be missing, maybe this is battle damage but I suspect it's a manufacturing issue. The copyright is on the emitter but isn't blatant. The activation buttons are properly knurled, the covertec belt-attachment disk is representing with a tiny screw holding it in place rather than just cheap glue. The black sections of the body are actually fat rubber O-rings which is very clever. The real prize of this piece is the back, it's been cut like in the movie, cut on a slight bias and darkened, inside there is an orange crystal and some other goodies, a really fantastic little piece of detail. Unfortunately, there isn't quite enough to buy another of this and put it together to make the whole, but this is still a very nice saber on its own.

I really want MR to do a TPM Obi-Wan - it's aluminum instead of chrome like the AOTC one they already put out. It doesn't look like anybody knows what else to expect from this line beyond the 2 blasters and the Qui-Gon mini, I was kinda hoping there might be some news or rumors.

Maxu3x
02-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey jeditricks, why wont you buy another maul to make a full one?

JediTricks
02-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my comment, it's not that I wouldn't, it's that it's not possible, there's not enough of this saber half to make the full saber, they designed it so the center section required is part of the "missing" half.

Sith Lord 0498
02-18-2006, 07:59 PM
I think the blaster from han solo is from ESB.

I think you're right now that I think about it.

It doesn't look like anybody knows what else to expect from this line beyond the 2 blasters and the Qui-Gon mini, I was kinda hoping there might be some news or rumors.

Just off the top of my head, they could continue the line with the following:

.45 Scaled Lightsabers
Luke Skywalker (ESB)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (TPM)
Darth Vader (ROTJ)

.45 Scaled Blasters
Jango Fett's blasters
Princess Leia's blaster
Boba Fett's blaster (ESB)
Boba Fett's blaster (ROTJ) - assuming there's a difference
Rebel Fleet Trooper blaster
Han Solo's blaster (ANH)
Han Solo's blaster (ROTJ)
Naboo blaster pistol
General Grievous' blaster

There aren't many lightsabers left to be made, and I doubt we'll see EU sabers. I believe that the blasters are being introduced now because they will take the place of the lightsabers in the .45 scale market. They're transitioning from one to the other. They've made enough blasters already to have a good starting point, and by the time they've exhausted them, they'll probably have made new full-size blasters that they can then scale down.

JediTricks
02-20-2006, 03:32 AM
True, those are all ones they could do, but I was hoping someone knew what they were GOING to do after QGJ's and the 2 blasters we know about.

Oh, and you didn't have Mace's TPM saber on your list, just a quick mention of that.

BTW, can you imagine how small a Biker Scout Scaled Replica would be? :D

JediTricks
02-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Apparently Boba Fett's rifle will be up next after the Stormtrooper and Han Solo blasters, that's dandy by me but I do want a few more sabers too.

Sith Lord 0498
02-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Apparently Boba Fett's rifle will be up next after the Stormtrooper and Han Solo blasters, that's dandy by me but I do want a few more sabers too.

I'm going to pass on the Stormtrooper rifle and Han's blaster, but I'll be onboard for a Boba Fett blaster...especially if Jango's blasters are coming down the line!! :)

vadersvette
02-20-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm just getting into the prop scene, and I'm just curious if any retailers will carry these new minis. I know Best Buy had the FX sabers and the ROTS minis. Anyone know if they'll have any of these new ones? The 2 I really want are ANH Luke's and the Stormtrooper rifle.

Sith Lord 0498
02-21-2006, 05:59 AM
I'm just getting into the prop scene, and I'm just curious if any retailers will carry these new minis. I know Best Buy had the FX sabers and the ROTS minis. Anyone know if they'll have any of these new ones? The 2 I really want are ANH Luke's and the Stormtrooper rifle.

I doubt Best Buy will continue to sell MR products. The minis were hard to find at the brick-and-mortar stores, and the Best Buys near me are currently clearancing out their remaining FX saber stock for nearly half price ($70). As for bestbuy.com, they've dropped the prices on both FX sabers and scaled replicas.

jedi master sal
02-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Full Darth Maul mini - already done as 2005 Collector's Society exclusive, but hopefully we'll see it mass-released (with a few very slight cosmetic changes to differentiate it from the exclusive)

It's QUITE possible. They've already done that for the weathered Obi-wan saber, much to the chagrin of exclusive enthusiasts.

I doubt Best Buy will continue to sell MR products. The minis were hard to find at the brick-and-mortar stores, and the Best Buys near me are currently clearancing out their remaining FX saber stock for nearly half price ($70). As for bestbuy.com, they've dropped the prices on both FX sabers and scaled replicas.

Oooh, which ones do they still have? I only have the Anakin one and want more. If they have something other than the Anakin one, is it possible you can pick one up for me? I get paid on the 3rd of March, so I can send payment then. Let me know what they have.

I REALLY like the Anakin saber. It's my favorite "toy" of anything that I have. Closest we'll ever get to a "real" saber...

-Sal

Maxu3x
02-21-2006, 10:07 AM
the obi wab weathered was re-released but it was never a collector society saber. Therefore it was easier to re-release. It was also the screen accurate prop. I doubt they'll re-release the exclusive "as first built".

JediTricks
02-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Well, I just ordered Luke's ANH, Dooku's, Mace's, and Obi-Wan's ANH, I can't wait to get them, that'll really get my collection well-rounded in a jiff. I still want Vader's ESB and Obi-Wan's TPM soon.

Maul's full saber being the CS exclusive does kinda make it unlikely we'll see it mass-released again, which is a shame 'cause I know a few people PLUS MYSELF who want it.

Jayspawn
02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Glad to see your getting into a little replica collecting JT!

JediTricks
02-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Glad to see your getting into a little replica collecting JT! Thanks, tho' my wallet disagrees. :p Luckily I got a little help from some friends which makes it a bit easier.

FalconFreak
03-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my comment, it's not that I wouldn't, it's that it's not possible, there's not enough of this saber half to make the full saber, they designed it so the center section required is part of the "missing" half.

You need to give in and pay for a full maul. I have both and the bd is nice, no doubt, BUT the full mini is a REALLY nice peice. It is sooo acurate to my full size Maul and really feels good in the hand. Seriously, now that I have both, if I HAD to choose between a full size Maul and the full mini Maul - I would save the money from the life size and buy the mini. It's that good.

Those rubbed spots on the bd is on mine too. I think intentional for sure.

Maxu3x
03-11-2006, 09:43 AM
It's hard to believe you prefer a mini more than an LE. The LE maul would be really cool to have.

FalconFreak
03-11-2006, 02:12 PM
It's hard to believe you prefer a mini more than an LE. The LE maul would be really cool to have.

Oh it's VERY cool. I love them both and keep them side by side. But if I HAD to choose just one or the other.....it is hard to beleive, i agree.

Let me try another scenerio. (Money is out of the picture) I'm holding one in each hand - mini in one, full size in the other. I (hypothetically) have to give one up. Which do I keep? (five serious contemplating minutes just went by) I honestly have to say the full size Maul is my choice. (But remember, money was not in this picture.)

In reality money was in the picture. So my point earlier (I happened to get the full size before a mini existed) If I was in your position, with a mini, knowing what I know now and how much money they each cost, the Mini would win.

So.....to make a long point longer....If you get or have a DMaul mini (having both myself) I SUGGEST that you don't feel bad if you never get a full size Maul, because you'll be experiencing equal joy with this particular EXCEPTIONAL mini.

IMO

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Maxu3x
03-11-2006, 02:27 PM
That's really something what you've just said. Do you feel the same about all the other minis compared to owning the LEs too?

Val Da Car
03-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Got into these this year also. Dig them! Did manage to get the Maul Saber but I wish that the case was big enough to put it into. Oh, well.

I am asking a talented forumite about making a case just for the full CS Maul.

Which is why my Maul is still in the box until it is complete.

If his work is great I will let you know.

Thanks

VDC

JediTricks
03-12-2006, 07:53 PM
You need to give in and pay for a full maul. I have both and the bd is nice, no doubt, BUT the full mini is a REALLY nice peice. It is sooo acurate to my full size Maul and really feels good in the hand. Seriously, now that I have both, if I HAD to choose between a full size Maul and the full mini Maul - I would save the money from the life size and buy the mini. It's that good.My thinking is that I'm probably gonna save the $100 to pay for the FX version, and hope they rerelease the mini.

Those rubbed spots on the bd is on mine too. I think intentional for sure.THANK YOU!!! You just took a load off my mind. :thumbsup:

FalconFreak
03-12-2006, 10:59 PM
That's really something what you've just said. Do you feel the same about all the other minis compared to owning the LEs too?

Fair question. No.

Althought I think my OB1 weathered mini is great, that is still a full size I want more. I can do with my Luke ANH mini just fine over the LE (allthough, I can understand the people that argue that one because it was "the first" SW saber). And my Luke ROTJ mini is another one I will be more than happy with IF I can never get the LE for a decent price - but I would like that LE as well. All the others, I'll collect the minis instead.