PDA

View Full Version : 6 Foot Millennium Falcon "Extraordinaire"

DARKLORD_67
02-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Howdy gang!!!

Another poster by the name of "skyvvalker" on another message board posted this question, so I CANNOT claim it as my own. *But KUDOS to him, because I think it a good topic!! * Anyway here goes...

Do any of you guys and gals here own one of the 6 foot long Toys R Us MILLENNIUM FALCON Extraordinaires?

Skyvvalker himself owns one:
http://images.snapfish.com/345996%3B%3B%3B%7Ffp337>nu%3D3273>674>783>WSNRCG%3D32334494<9%3B58nu0mrj

Steve Sansweet's got one:
http://www.rebelscum.com/features/ranchoobiwan_IMG_4481.jpg

Philip Wise has one (upper right corner)
http://www.rebelscum.com/room/1-1.jpg

And there is one on display at the Star Toys Museum of Meerkat Meade in suburban Baltimore, Maryland:
http://www.readersadvice.com/museum/mfextra.html

Is there ANYONE else out there who is a proud owner of one of these GORGEOUS Collectibles??

For those of you that may NOT know:

The 6 foot long(!) MILLENNIUM FALCON "Extraordinaire" *(with working lights, Radar Dish, and Twin quad laser cannons (dorsal AND ventral) is a direct "tool-up" of Kenner / Hasbro's *various toy Falcons. *

The "Extraordinaire" is a close approximation of the Millennium Falcon's true size if it were correctly scaled for the 3.75 inch scale figures! *These were made of *sturdy styrene plastic, and have all of the same details, deco, and decals as Hasbro's 1995 POTFII *Falcon.

There were ONLY (approximately) 700 of these made for display in Toys R Us stores around the country. *Each one had a numbered, engraved brass plaque bolted to the circular gun-port area of the dorsal quad-laser cannon. *

These Falcons *could be seen hanging from the celings of Toy R Us stores back in 1997 during the height of the release of the STAR WARS Trilogy, Special Edition.

Out of the 700 that were made, a (smaller) undetermined number of them survived their *months of display in the nation's various Toys R Us stores as MINT specimens.

In late 1997, Toys R Us held a nationwide charity raffle, giving away 500 of the existing "Extraordinaire" Falcons.

Initially, there was some talk that Hasbro would actually REFURBISH any of the non-mint / damaged Falcons to "like-new" condition before shipping them out to all of the raffle winners. *Any missing or broken parts (Laser Cannons, Radar Dish, *Power pack. etc) would supposedly be replaced.

However, right before the raffle winners were awarded their prize, it was then announced that these were going to be shipped in "as-is" condition"!!

That means that quite a few raffle winners got "Extraordinaire" Falcons that were beat-up, dirty, and / or with missing parts.

Now, some of those winners were fortunate enough to know that they should contact Hasbro and request replacement parts. *I know of at least ONE "Extraordinaire" owner that did just THAT back in 1998, and got his replacement parts! *

But, everyone else was outta luck. *They were stuck with "Less-than-mint" Falcons (which they presumably either still own OR have sold off in the secondary market).

I am happy to say that I too am the proud owner of a MINT MILLENNIUM FALCON "Extraordinaire" , and she is THE absolute "holy-grail" of my collection! *My "Extraordinaire" is numbered as *"#315".

I no longer have my "Extraordinaire" on display. *I was quite concerned with her gathering dust and being exposed to harsh, damaging sunlight. *So, back in '98, I had a very good friend manufacture a LARGE cardboard carton to store her inside of. *This box ended up being as large as a king-sized BED!! *In addition, I bought *a HUGE clear plastic tarp from a hardware store and fashioned a *very neat air-tight sealed "envelope" to store her inside of before putting her in the new BIG box carton for storage.

But just last month, I got the old "geek-play" itch, and *pulled the big Falcon out of storage!!!
Let me tell you... my wife and I had an absolute BALL attacking the big Falcon with four of those new Target Tie Fighters with Larger Wings! *I haven't had that much STAR WARS "play" fun since I was a twelve year old!!

I'm telling you... the scale between these Ties and the Falcon "Extraordinaire" is absolutely SUBLIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I particularly enjoyed the sight of one of those gorgeous Ties "firing" upon the Falcon's big Radar Dish!!

Wifey and I had a grand ol' time, making the screaming Tie Fighter sounds and laser sounds, and quoting dialogue: "They're coming in too fast!!" "We've lost the lateral controls!!!" "Don't worry!! She'll hold together!!" Hear me baby? Hold together."

Oh Yeah!!!! And we even played the John Williams "Tie Fighter Attack" music score on the stereo system for full effect!!!

And THEN, we... Oh!... um... heh-heh... Sorry. I, uh... geeked-out again a little bit. So sorry about that. Heh...

Anyway, if any of you are interested, here are some pics of MY Falcon "Extraordinaire" before she was put away in storage. These were taken in the bedroom of my old small apartment before we bought our current home. She used to stand on edge, in a corner of the room next to the window.
You can get a sense of her sheer SIZE with the STAR WARS Han and Chewie standees displayed next to her. Han is 6 feet tall!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/Millie1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/falcon2.jpg

bobafrett
02-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I tried to win one through the "donation" process they had. You would go donate money to a TRU charity, and fill out a raffle form. I went everyday, and donated a nice amount, but never won it. A Matchbox collector who worked there said he saw it in the dumpster when the promotion was over. I think he took it for himself.

DARKLORD_67
02-18-2006, 01:51 PM
A Matchbox collector who worked there said he saw it in the dumpster when the promotion was over.

:shocked: :eek: :eek: :shocked: Surely... not...

Turbowars
02-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Could you brag a bit more?:hurt::thumbsup: I'm so jealous :yes:

EDIT

Gause
02-19-2006, 03:08 AM
They actually made a play size version of my Falcon...omfg...wow...Chewy you hear this %^&*. There is someone out there that has 1 of 700 ever produced of our real scale Falcon. There might have been one in a dumpster but someone who has one thinks not?? I have 800 toys of the SW brand...maybe I should start a post on that or maybe I don't and won't. There is a difference between telling a story and making a story something its not. Congrats on the Falcon sorry you saw someone's post somewhere and thought it was news. But when a player posts and the reply is "Surely... not..." then how do we know those pics from a run of the mill website are not mine! A player never brags or points out others. The more I read your post and look at the pics it dawns on me...you...your wife...playing SW with ships...and no pics from the year 2000 or even 2006 almost makes it seem like invading Naboo for weapons of mass destruction was a good idea.

Gause

DARKLORD_67
02-19-2006, 04:57 AM
Could you brag a bit more?:hurt:

Yeah, I could "brag a bit more". But since I was NOT "bragging", your comment is pointless and moot.

Could you be a bit more rude?

Of course, there ARE those that might read my story as "bragging". And There are those that might read my story as "sharing".

Frankly, I'm not interested in bragging, and my post was meant to share the story of a (relatively) rare collectible that I own and that is also owned by quite a few other folks.

Last I checked, sharing these types of collecting stories are EXACTLY what these message boards are for. If you, TURBOWARS, feel threatened every time someone PROUDLY tells the story of a rare collectible that they own, then perheps you shouldn't be reading posts on these boards.

See, there are always going to be jealous people who look at someone else's story as bragging when all they are doing is sharing.

Would YOU, Turbowars, feel better if I DIDN'T embellish my story with the background of these collectibles? That background information was provided for the benefit of those that didn't KNOW about it. Not to "brag". That's why I preceded the tale with "FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW".

Or maybe you would have preferred it if I didn't tell an anecdote about how much I playfully enjoyed my Falcon one afternoon with my wife like the "geek" I self-depreciatingly called myself.

In either case, the issue here is yours, not mine. Sharing acqusition stories is what collectors do.

Your comment was unnecessarily rude, and I've got nothing else to say to you.

As to YOU, Gause, I honestly don't know what to make of your post. But let me explain something to you: When I replied to bobfrett with "surely... not", I was NOT DOUBTING the truth of his story. If you look at the section of his story that I chose to quote (and respond to) it was the portion about one of these collectibles being placed in a DUMPSTER!!! I have no reason to doubt bobfrett's story, and I'm sure it is COMPLETELY truthful. I was SHOCKED by this part of the story, not doubting it.

My reply was preceeded by SHOCKED faces and it was akin to saying "They threw that gorgeous collectible in the DUMPSTER???? No way!!!" Shock, not doubt.

I actually borrowed my reply from STAR TREK VI: when Kirk tells Sulu about a Klingon Bird of Prey that can fire while cloaked. A SHOCKED Sulu responded with "surely... not"

As to the rest of your response, I don't know WHAT your point is. What does NOT having any photos from this year have to do with anything?? Does that make my story somehow LESS valid? I don't get it.

Slicker
02-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm gonna chime in and say that's a nice piece you have Darklord. I remember seeing these hanging in TRU waaaaaay back when the POTF2 figures were on the shelves and I also remember when they were giving it away and I don't believe that I even tried to win it because, always being the pessimist, I didn't think I'd ever win it. I'd love to get my hands on one but the sheer size of it alone would make it really tough to store.

How did you have yours displayed? Did you have it hanging from the ceiling?

Turbowars
02-19-2006, 09:48 AM
LOL what a chump. :rolleyes: Taken the wrong way, but what ever.

DARKLORD_67
02-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm gonna chime in and say that's a nice piece you have Darklord. I remember seeing these hanging in TRU waaaaaay back when the POTF2 figures were on the shelves and I also remember when they were giving it away and I don't believe that I even tried to win it because, always being the pessimist, I didn't think I'd ever win it. I'd love to get my hands on one but the sheer size of it alone would make it really tough to store.

How did you have yours displayed? Did you have it hanging from the ceiling?

Thanks Slicker! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah, you're right. Trying to store one of these IS a challenge. These Falcons were meant to hang from the ceiling away from general walking space and elbow room.

But the ceilings in my home are only 9 feet high. Not nearly high enough to display "Millie" without constantly hitting my!! head lol lol lol

I initially had her displayed standing on edge in a corner of the bedroom of my old apartment, as seen in the photos. But I could easily see her getting damaged that way.

That's why I just opted to put her in a giant platic bag and then in a giant cardboard box.

So now she just sits boxed upstairs in my cluttered second floor "STAR WARS room" among all of the other collectibles.

Maybe one day (if I hit LOTTO), I'll create an "outer-space" painted room with tall ceilings where she can be posed in mid-flight.

SIGH :rolleyes: :rolleyes: SIGH with a room like that I could definitely die happy and go to STAR WARS geek heaven!! lol lol lol

DARKLORD_67
02-19-2006, 12:58 PM
LOL what a chump. :rolleyes: Taken the wrong way, but what ever.

Yeah. "What ever". Very eloquently put, Turbowars.

But since I AM such a "chump", then perhaps only someone
as "cool" as YOU could enlighten me as to how your
comment about my "bragging" SHOULD have been taken the "right"
way?

Slicker
02-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I was actually curious as to whether or not you had it hanging from the ceiling. That would present a challenge I would imagine being that that thing can't be none too light.

Turbowars
02-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Thought you had nothing else to say to me? It was meant in a funny jealous way. I thought the Hurt smiley showed that. I guess I should had put a happy face there as well. Thanks for the attack though. Seems that Gause had a whole lot more rude things to say than me, but you know what, it really doesn't matter. :tired:

DARKLORD_67
02-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Thought you had nothing else to say to me? It was meant in a funny jealous way. I thought the Hurt smiley showed that. I guess I should had put a happy face there as well. Thanks for the attack though. Seems that Gause had a whole lot more rude things to say than me, but you know what, it really doesn't matter. :tired:

I actually DIDN'T have anything else to say to you... particularly not if I thought you were just being a jealous jerk that was flaming me.

But as it turns out, you pointed out that I took your "bragging" comment the "wrong" way, all while calling me a "chump".

Since it is often difficult to read the intent behind someone's written words, I concluded (giving YOU the benefit of the doubt), that I might have been mistaken in my interpretation of YOUR words.

In the end, though, the icon you chose did NOT indicate "funny jealous". It indicated "hurtful, annoyed, jealous."

If I was wrong in my interpretation of your initial statement, then you could easily have pointed that out WITHOUT the name-calling. You could have said, "I'm sorry. I think you mis-interpreted my intent. I meant to be funny and it came off the wrong way."

I, then, would have felt SILLY for responding so harshly to my own misinterpretation. I would have apologized, and we would have shared a laugh over the whole thing.

In the end, even though you say I "attacked" you, I'm not the one who resorted to name-calling. I think that even in my (misinterpreted ?) response to you, I was respectful. You were not. Certainly not by calling me a "chump".

As to Gause, (I suppose) you're right in that he had a lot of rude things to say in his post. Truth be told, it's hard for me to judge accurately due to how convoluted his written thoughts appear to be. Perhaps if he used general punctuation, and maybe proof-read his writtings before posting them, that might help.

I think that anyone who knows ME on these boards knows that I am a friendly, accessable individual about many things. In my posts, I try to present my ideas as CLEARLY as I can. My posts speak for themselves. I am NOT an un-reasonable person given to being rude to others. But I also don't respond well to un-necessary rudeness aimed at me.:cross-eye

DARKLORD_67
02-19-2006, 02:56 PM
I was actually curious as to whether or not you had it hanging from the ceiling. That would present a challenge I would imagine being that that thing can't be none too light.

Well, I'd only be guess-timating, here, but I'd say "Millie" weighs about 45 - 50 lbs. She is bulky and cumbersome... but she means well
:love: :love:

Turbowars
02-19-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this. No need to take it so personal. I apologize for calling you a chump. I do think it's awesome you got one of these babies though. :thumbsup:

stillakid
02-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Well, if nothing else, it might make a very interesting casket! :dead: One of a kind. :thumbsup:

DARKLORD_67
02-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this. No need to take it so personal. I apologize for calling you a chump. I do think it's awesome you got one of these babies though. :thumbsup:

Thanks Turbowars. That IS appreciated!! And CERTAINLY I apologize for mis-readng your intentions (which clearly I did):thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well, if nothing else, it might make a very interesting casket! One of a kind.

Bwaaaahhhhh, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ,ha ,ha:D :D :D :D :D lol lol lol lol lol
Another good one, Stillakid!!! Man, I tell you... The last couple of threads that I have posted on where YOU also contributed, you've gotten me with quite a few good zingers!!! I almost peed my pants with this last one!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You know, actually, your concept MIGHT not be a bad one as my final resting place!! I don't really care to be buried anyway. I've always thought of burial as a pretty morbid concept. But I figure after my passing, I could be CREMATED. And then my ashes could be placed inside of "Mllie". Then, on the next space shuttle mission, She could be brought along, and hurled out into outer space during one of those "space-walks" that the astronauts often have to take.

Ahhh, eternity spent as the "pilot" of a giant toy Millennium Falcon floating frozen through space... What a concept. Clearly... I'm not well...:crazed: :crazed:

jedi master sal
02-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Wow this is the first I've seen this thread. I too have one of these babies. It's not mint, but it's my pride and joy, nonetheless. I'll be damned if I can remember the number though. IIRC it's #661, but I'll have to check that.

I'll root around and see if I can find any pics I have of her.

She's sitting in climate controlled storage right now.

Though since I catalogue stuff each month, and take that down to storage, I see her about once a month.

My plan is to create the interior of her and make this a true "playset"!

Though those plans are a few years from being accomplished. (I need the room/time/extra$ to do it.

-Sal

JEDIpartner
02-21-2006, 11:13 AM
That's cool but completely ridiculous.

Jayspawn
02-22-2006, 12:22 AM
I think owning a TRU Falcon gives you bragging rights. Why not? Its one of the Holy Grail Star Wars Collectibles out there.

stillakid
02-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Well, I know that I want one.... :yes:

Valorum
11-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Do any of you guys and gals here own one of the 6 foot long Toys R Us MILLENNIUM FALCON Extraordinaires?

Skyvvalker himself owns one:
http://images.snapfish.com/345996%3B%3B%3B%7Ffp337>nu%3D3273>674>783>WSNRCG%3D32334494<9%3B58nu0mrj

Steve Sansweet's got one:
http://www.rebelscum.com/features/ranchoobiwan_IMG_4481.jpg

Philip Wise has one (upper right corner)
http://www.rebelscum.com/room/1-1.jpg

And there is one on display at the Star Toys Museum of Meerkat Meade in suburban Baltimore, Maryland:
http://www.readersadvice.com/museum/mfextra.html

Is there ANYONE else out there who is a proud owner of one of these GORGEOUS Collectibles??

I have #666 (hah!) Got it from a TRU in Valdosta in 2000 or 2001? I walked in, saw it hanging from the ceiling, and asked a store employee if it was for sale. They said that actually, yes, it was available through a blind auction. So i put in my bid (couple hundred dollars), and a few weeks later found out i won it :) I've had it hanging from the 2 story ceiling in our living room for the past 7 years. It was a great conversation piece for guests.

We just moved to a new place, so i had to take it down. It was DUSTY! And some of the plastic has yellowed unfortunately from exposure to sunlight :( (Is there a way to undo this?) But apart from that it's in good shape. I need to find the power adapter to hook it up and see if the lights will light up :) We are storing it in an attic storage space for now, because the new place doesn't have ceilings that are high enough unfortunately.

Anyway, i figured i'd let the SW community know of another one of these being accounted for.

(BTW - Looks like one (not mine) is up for auction on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Millenium-Falcon-Extraordinaire-Edition_W0QQitemZ230309147222QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ 20081121?IMSfp=TL081121105003r28895), for those interested...)

stillakid
11-25-2008, 01:08 AM
sunlight :( (Is there a way to undo this?)

I don't think so, but if you wait a few billion more years, it'll go out on its own.

r2hammer
02-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Hello everybody,

I am a big Star Wars fan and found this forum on a google search.

I have been looking for the Tip/type for my 6 foot Falcon (#347). I know all the stats from other sites, but need the size or comparison to a known plug; i.e is it one that also works in a PS2, Sega Genesis, etc...
(I've tried those, but that was just an example)

Short of taking my Massive Falcon on a road trip to Radioshack...I'm really stuck! I've already spend 30 bucks on various plugs/tips and universal powersupplies with interchangeable tips and none seem to fit!

If any owners of the falcon could send a pic of the plug tip or let me know what else it works in that's a known/common item. I would be really really appreciate it (my e-mail below)!

Here is a link to my websites/project page...
http://www.washougal.k12.wa.us/whs/teachers/scott.boothby/Projects.html
If you scroll down on the first page you'll see a pic of my Falcon.
It now hangs in my gameroom.

I also am a R2 builders club member and my droid's webpage is there too.

Needless to say, I'm a huge Star Wars fan.

Thanks,
Scott
scott.boothby@gmail.com
PS: I already have this info

IN: 120 V AC 60 Hz
OUT: 9 V DC 500 mA
TIP: Positive(But what size???)

Jayspawn
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Always wanted one of these. Durring the POTF2 days I would stare up at it and imagine having it in my collection. Alas, I imagine a central MF collectible in my collection someday.

lilharley
07-21-2010, 11:33 AM
i have #247