PDA

View Full Version : Perfect figures?

Luuuuuuke
02-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Are there any figures you think are pretty much "perfect"? Or "perfect" as far as you're concerned. It's kind of easy to point out which figures fell short. But which ones did you have no quibbles about? I can't think of too many right now, but these stand out for me:

VOTC Han Solo
300th figure Boba Fett
SA Clone (#41)
POTF Gamorrean Guard
Pilot Obi Wan Kenobi
Evolutions Darth Sidious
POTF AT-AT Driver
POTF Tarkin
POTF Snowtrooper

Shadow Knight
02-18-2006, 06:25 PM
POTF: Greedo! NOT...:)

Slicker
02-18-2006, 06:45 PM
FF Zuckuss
TSC Bouschh (I think it's the best we'll ever get so it's perfect enough)
TSC Han Carbonite (only if you can use the POTF2 block)
300th Fett (I know it was already added but it's gotta be reiterated)
Commtech Stormtrooper
Commtech Han Solo (it must be good since they've released it millions of times ;))
Saga Dengar

jjreason
02-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Ephant Mon and the OTC Jawas are pretty darned great.

JediTricks
02-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Are there any figures you think are pretty much "perfect"? Or "perfect" as far as you're concerned. It's kind of easy to point out which figures fell short. But which ones did you have no quibbles about? I can't think of too many right now, but these stand out for me:

VOTC Han Solo
300th figure Boba Fett
SA Clone (#41)
POTF Gamorrean Guard
Pilot Obi Wan Kenobi
Evolutions Darth Sidious
POTF AT-AT Driver
POTF Tarkin
POTF Snowtrooper I'm especially particular, so of your list only ROTS Obi-Wan pilot would make mine.

I'd include Saga Dengar on my "perfect" list too, that figure seems perfect to me, I just said that in the very last post I made.

I might give props to POTJ Bespin Han, that figure is really good. I could be convinced in the future that there is better, but I can't think of much else I want from an ESB Han.

The Gamorrean is very good but the solid left fist is unnecessary and he could use more articulation.

300th Fett is close to my list too, but his articulation doesn't actually let him do much, articulation has come so much further since then and he got left behind as a transition between the old and new guard of the modern line.

I don't care for VOTC Han's permanently-sculpted vest and his head sculpt doesn't entirely work for me, plus his holster is too bulky. It's a good figure, but not perfect to me.

POTF2 Tarkin has a good headsculpt but a poor pose.

POTF2 Snowtrooper is good but the sculpting is too thick and the helmet is part of the torso, and the pose could be a little better.

POTJ Bespin Leia is very close to "perfect" in my book, only her action pose keeps her out of the running.

POTF2 Zuckuss has a split robe and can't hold his weapon too well.

Saga Bespin Chewie is nearly perfect but they permanently bent his elbows.

I suppose VOTC Chewie might be perfect, but somehow he never makes my book, I guess the VOTC concept is too abstract for my general basic figure tastes. Same with VOTC Fett, though there I have the complaint of the waist making the legs too close together.

Saga Hoth Luke is another almost-made-the-list figure even though he's from a speicfic scene, they just have the left arm too straight, elbow articulation would have ruled, plus his stand connects to the Wampa's base so he's facing the wrong way in relation to his lightsaber.

Another almost-perfect is Dexter Jettster, my only complaint is that he's not quite tall enough.

ROTS Dooku if he had both forearms pop out leaving holes would be perfect - oh, and he needs an "off" saber that can attach to his belt.

ROTS $41 Clone would be perfect except his helmet's face is slightly asymmetrical, his stupid belt boxes are upside-down and his hips can't be posed very far (which the #6 version can, if #6 had standard waist he'd be the winner).

No R2 is perfect, none have the right hips, and the VOTC and R4-G9 bodies are close but VOTC has that chrome which looks poor IMO and both have bodies where the doors are sculpted too thick.

I can't give it up to VOTC Stormtrooper, he's a bit too slight and his material's coloring is unacceptable - so close, yet so far. The CTC Stormtrooper lacks ankle, wrist, and quality elbow arituclation, plus he has that weird chest damage thing.

Hmm, I think I'll just stop here, I can come up with so many "almost perfect" figs that end up not making my list due to one small misstep or another.

bigbarada
02-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Don't forget the POTJ FX-7, you can't get much more perfect than that. In fact that figure is probably more articulated than the actual movie prop.

Others on my list would be:
VOTC Han
VOTC Chewie
VOTC Boba
VOTC R2
VOTC Stormtrooper
Evolutions Darth Vader
Ephant Mon
Saga TIE Pilot
Saga Lando Skiff

And my hopefuls are the upcoming Biker Scout and Trenchcoat Han.

Sith Lord 0498
02-18-2006, 08:23 PM
The Saga Collection
General Veers
AT-AT Driver
Bib Fortuna
Princess Leia (Boushh Disguise)

Evolutions
Anakin Skywalker (ROTS)
Clone Commander (ROTS)
Clone Commander (AOTC)

Revenge of the Sith
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Pilot)
Mas Amedda
Clonetrooper (#6 mold)

Original Trilogy Collection
Luke Skywalker (Dagobah)
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard Disguise)
Chewbacca (VOTC)
Boba Fett (VOTC)
Stormtrooper (VOTC)

Clone Wars
Clonetrooper (SA)

Power of the Jedi
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)

DarkArtist
02-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Evolutions Vader, great for posing, I have mine posed during the final duel using the Saga Luke. The pose is as Luke is about to cut off Vader's Hand.

TSC General Veers, great sculpt, dead-on likness, major improvment over the POTF version

TSC AT-AT Driver, again great sculot, dead on likeness, and major improvment

VOTC Boba Fett, great great great figure. need I say more

Early Bird Princess Leia, looks great, was really the only one of the figures I was looking forward to in this set.

VOTC Stormtrooper, the articulation is great, can be posed in various positions, even the famous "I've Been Shot"

ROTS Tarkin, I love the figure, only thing that would have been better was if the hand could be posed to be holding his chin.

TPM Darth Sidious, great figure for a normal pose piece, hood could have been a little longer and covered more of his face but still great

ROTS Pilot Obi Wan Kenobi, articualtion, movie accurate, facial likeness, would have been great with a soft goods cloak, but even the rubber cloak works well

VOTC Han Solo, love this figure, sculpt, accurate facial features.

Saga Dutch Vander, great sculpt, nice details, awesome for creating some custom figures

Saga TIE Pilot, same as Dutch and the TSC AT-AT driver.

Evolutions ROTS Anakin, much controversy over this figure but a great job, would have been better if he came with an interchangable head featuring Sith eyes.

Saga Admiral Ozzel, I thought the character was a bit heavier, but great feature with the whole choking thing

VOTC R2-D2, great figure, would have liked to see a lightsaber lauching action thing

ROTS Aayla Secura, articulation, look, simply great

Saga Luke Skywalker Jedi, again another figure that recieved some negative views, but a major improvment over the original POTF version.

mikey1974
02-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Evolutions Vader
ROTS Count Dooku
VOTC Han
Saga Jedi Luke (jabba's palace)
VOTC Stormtrooper
VOTC Boba Fett

are perfect to me....

Lord Malakite
02-18-2006, 09:04 PM
The POTF2 "Internet mail-in" and/or SAGA "Jabba Denizens" B'Omarr Monk for me. They may not be movie accurate sculpts (and the Internet version has the wrong paint deco), but in my book these are by far some of the coolest figues out of the entire Star Wars line for me due to, how should I put it, the "uniqueness" in appearance of the characters.

If I had to choose between them I'd probably have to go with the more inaccurate Internet version. A blue liquid brain jar has more appeal to me over a pink brain jar. I think its because of the greater color contrast with the brain.:love:

bigbarada
02-19-2006, 12:57 AM
It looks like Hasbro hit a home run with the AT-AT Driver. Wish I could find one. Unfortunately, those greedy army-builders keep cleaning out my local Wal-Mart and all I can find is nothing but General Veers, Major Derlin and General Rieekan.:upset:

I would order one online, but I'm not sure if I want one enough to pay more than $6 for it.

timmae
02-19-2006, 01:19 AM
i'd agree with ephant mon. the silver tru r2 is pretty slick too. another way to look at it is if you had to part with all but 1 or 2 of your figures, which would you keep?

Darth Cruel
02-19-2006, 02:30 AM
As far as the perfect, definitive action figure goes there is...no, not that one. But then there is...well, not that one either really. But for sure...ummm, maybe not quite perfect there either.

Oh, I got it...no, no I don't. But the one NOBODY can deny...well, maybe some of us can deny that one to.

That about covers all of them for me.

Maybe if we had a "good eough" thread I think I have one for that.

TheDarthVader
02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I would like to point some out that no one has mentioned:

AOTC Tusken Raider
Freeze Frame Biggs
Exclusive OTC Wedge Antilles
Saga Dutch Vander
Freeze Frame Leia in Hoth Gear
Freeze Frame Admiral Motti
Freeze Frame Wuher
Cantina Band Member Exclusive
Ep1 R2-B1
Ep1 Amidala with acension gun
Ep1 Darth Sidious holograph
Ep1 Sio Bibble
Ep1 TC-14
POTJ Boshek
POTJ Boss Nass
POTJ Coruscant Guard
POTJ Darth Maul final duel (love the magnet)
POTJ Darth Vader Dagobah
POTJ Darth Vader emperor's wrath
POTJ FX-7
POTJ Gungan Warrior
POTJ IG-88
POTJ Imperial Officer
POTJ Jek Porkins
POTJ K-3PO
POTJ Leia Bespin escape
POTJ Plo Koon
POTJ Qui Gon Jinn tatooine disguise
POTJ R2-Q5
POTJ R4-M9
POTJ Sandtrooper
POTJ Sebulba
POTJ Tessek
POTJ Zutton
(POTJ was probably the best line EVER!)
AOTC Geonosian Warrior
AOTC Kit Fisto
AOTC Coleman Trebor
AOTC Jango Fett (with rem helmet)
AOTC Darth Maul sith training
AOTC/saga Imperial Officers
AOTC Tyranus escape
AOTC Anakin secret ceremony
AOTC/saga Snowtrooper
AOTC Wat Tambor
AOTC/saga McQuarrie Stormtrooper
AOTC/saga R-3PO

I am going to stop right there. I won't do TSC or Episode 3.

B.
TDV

bigbarada
02-19-2006, 11:23 AM
If I had to part with all but one of my figures, I would probably keep the VOTC Chewie or maybe Ephant Mon, or...... this is even more difficult to decide.

Anyways, if the upcoming vintage style Biker Scout is as good as the pictures then he will be the definitive perfect action figure in my book.

As far as finding a figure without any flaws, that will never happen. It's actually just a matter of finding a figure who's good points completely overshadow any flaws that might exist.

For instance, my Evolutions Vader can't hold his lightsaber in his right hand, only his left hand. However, all the pluses of the figure completely outweigh that one minor problem.

I'll add some vintage figures to my list:
Trenchcoat Han Solo
Biker Scout
Combat Poncho Leia

Slicker
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Here's a couple more:

FF 4-LOM
ROTS Red Royal Guard
EU Admiral Thrawn
POTC Feltipern Trevagg
POTJ Obi-Wan in light Tan Robes

I'm sure there will be more. And as BigB said no figure is 100% perfect. Most of these are about as close as can or will be offered. Although most of the droids produced are rather good.

jaxx
02-19-2006, 12:43 PM
This list was to tell everyone which figures you think are perfect... not to tell us which figures (that other people are stating are their favorite/perfect figures) don't make your list, or why every figure ever made is lacking.

JetsAndHeels
02-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Some of my favorites include (but are not limited to):

300th Fett
Mail-in Mace Windu
AOTC Jango Fett (removable helmet)
Saga Boba Fett (pit of carkoon)
Saga Chewbacca (bespin)
TPM Obi Wan (jedi robes)
TPM Qui Gon Jinn (jedi robes)
TPM Darth Maul (tattooine version with cloak)
Super Articulated Stormtrooper (commtech)
POTJ Darth Vader (degobah)
ROTS Super Articulated Clone trooper
ROTS Commander Gree (love that figure)
ROTS Pilot Obi Wan
POTJ FX-7

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Hmm, there are very few "perfect" figures. Most are nearly perfect but fall short.

VOTC Han - I love this figure, but the holster is annoying. In the movie it's attached to the strap on his leg, but it hangs free on this figure.
VOTC Stormtrooper - My only complaint is the holster, which doesn't work. But it's very close.
Evolutions Vader - Probably the perfect Vader, though he should be able to hold his saber in his right hand and have it removable at the wrist. I'd still love to see a two-piece removable helmet.
Evolutions ROTS Anakin - Definitely the best Anakin, but it would have been perfect with elbow ball-joint articulation.
VOTC/Early Bird/Battle of Hoth R2-D2 - A great R2 sculpt, but he needs a regular, non-chrome dome.
R4-G9/R4-P17 - Really great R2 units. R2-D2 with this body would be perfect, but they cheated us out of it for the Hoth wave.
Clone Trooper (Super Articulation) and its repaints (aside from Gree) - The belt is upside-down on every release, and the leg articulation is junk since it gets loose every time you move them, but it's the best clone sculpt. You'd think that by now they would have fixed the belt . . .

Bacta Beast
02-19-2006, 04:06 PM
VOTC Han Solo
VOTC Luke Skywalker
VOTC Leia
VOTC Boba Fett (I can't understand the love for the 300th version, it might as well be a statue!)
VOTC Chewie
VOTC Stormtrooper
VOTC Lando
OTC LOBOT
OTC Cloud Car Pilot
Saga AT-AT driver (it only needs ball joint elbows)
Saga Boussh
Saga Bib Fortuna
Saga Gen Veers
Evolution Darth Vader
Evolution Palpatine
Evolution Dooku
ROTS Dooku
ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan
ROTS Wookie Warrior (Sneak Preview)
ROTS Kit Fisto
ROTS Plo Koon
ROTS Clone #41
ROTS Senate Guard (blue version, the red one should have a force pike so I mark them down for that)

I'm sure I'll add a bunch from the new VOTC line also (everything except Greedo's vest)

Blackened88
02-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Clone Wars:
Clone Trooper

VOTC:
Han Solo
Leia
Chewie
Stormtrooper
Boba Fett

ROTS:
#6 Clone Trooper
Count Dooku
Kit Fisto
#33 Clone Commander
#41 Clone Trooper
#54 Clone AT-RT
Pilot Obi Wan
Evolution Anakin Ep.2

Kidhuman
02-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Saga Dengar
Saga Bossk
TSC Bouschhhhhhhhhhhccchhshsh
ROTS 3PO
ROTS Dooku
Obi Pilot
VOTC Han
VOTC Stormie
300th Fett
POTJ Lando
Vader removeable helmet
Saga TIE Pilot
TSC AT-AT driver

to name a few.

JediTricks
02-20-2006, 05:14 AM
This list was to tell everyone which figures you think are perfect... not to tell us which figures (that other people are stating are their favorite/perfect figures) don't make your list, or why every figure ever made is lacking.Hey, I can't help it if all of you are wrong. ;) The title of the thread kind left it open, so I argued 'em out in my head.

dindae
02-20-2006, 10:36 AM
A perfect figure would be hard for me. I could list dozens of secondary character figures like Ephant Mon and pretty much any SA trooper, but the main characters seem harder to nail down. I don't think any figure is beyond improvement anymore. I remember thinking after a few Chewbacca figures that there was nothing more they could do with him since he never changed outfits. Then they hit me with Mocking holo chess champ Chewie and Mechanic Chewie. One day if the technology is there they may do a real fur chewbacca that makes the growl and lifts up stromtroopers and throws them against walls. :pleased:

jedi master sal
02-20-2006, 12:57 PM
It looks like Hasbro hit a home run with the AT-AT Driver. Wish I could find one. Unfortunately, those greedy army-builders keep cleaning out my local Wal-Mart and all I can find is nothing but General Veers, Major Derlin and General Rieekan.:upset:

I would order one online, but I'm not sure if I want one enough to pay more than $6 for it.

Don't blame just army builders BB. I'm one, and I've left PLENTY of the AT-ST driver on the pegs. You've also got scalpers, other colelctors, kids and their parents to contend with.

If you need one that bad, let me know. I'm certain I can find him easily. Are you carded or loose? I won't guarantee the holo included but give me your list of most desired to least and I'll do what I can.

I'll get it for you at cost plus shipping.

LMK,
-Sal

Bacta Beast
02-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Don't blame just army builders BB. I'm one, and I've left PLENTY of the AT-ST driver on the pegs.

Did you mean AT-AT? Or are you thinking of the ROTS AT-RT driver?

Devo
02-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Perfect for what they are:

300th Boba Fett (a largely preposed ESB colour figure)
POTJ Bespin Escape Leia (largely preposed)
POTJ Bespin Lando (likewise)
Clone wars Saesee Tinn
Clone wars Kit Fisto (sculpt is great, if limited posewise)
Clone Wars Assaj Ventress
POTJ 25th anniversary sets

and probably a great many other preposed/mostly preposed and expanded universe characters post-POTF2

Perfect for what they're intended for:

POTJ Tessek
POTJ Ellors Madak
POTJ Zutton
POTJ Boshek
POTJ FX-7
POTJ Bespin guard
OTC Myo
OTC Feltipern Trevagg
Saga Ephant Mon
Saga R1-G4

and probably a great many other background characters, aliens&droids post-POTF2

Perfect multi-purpose and/or ''beyond the call of duty'' figures:

Evolutions Darth Vader (with some manipulation&glue to get the softgoods right)
VOTC Stormtrooper
VTSC Scout Trooper
ROTS Count Dooku
Clone Wars SA clone trooper
TSC AT-AT driver
Saga Dutch Vandar (great sculpt for him but he's too tall for it to be repeated for other pilots IMO)
I'd repeat Clone Wars Saesee Tinn, Kit fisto and Asajj here, also a few cantina and jabbas palace figs.

And probably a number of others post-POTF2

Luuuuuuke
02-21-2006, 02:20 PM
of course a perfect figure is in the eyes of the beholder. to me VOTC Han is perfect. The upcoming VOTC Biker Scout looks like it could be perfect. The Saga AT-AT driver would be perfect if he wasn't so short. He's too puny.

I recently found my POTF AT-AT driver and I really prefer him to the Saga one, though he lacks that leg accessory thing. He's not as sharp as the new one, but I prefer him. In general I thought POTF did a really good job with aliens, but not so well with humans, or stormtroopers.

I'll add one more figure to my perfect list: POTF Tie Fighter.

Devo
02-21-2006, 07:12 PM
of course a perfect figure is in the eyes of the beholder. to me VOTC Han is perfect. The upcoming VOTC Biker Scout looks like it could be perfect. The Saga AT-AT driver would be perfect if he wasn't so short. He's too puny.

I recently found my POTF AT-AT driver and I really prefer him to the Saga one, though he lacks that leg accessory thing. He's not as sharp as the new one, but I prefer him. In general I thought POTF did a really good job with aliens, but not so well with humans, or stormtroopers.

I'll add one more figure to my perfect list: POTF Tie Fighter.

:confused: You think the TSC one is better but prefer the POTF one? I can't look at that figure now. The face is totally wrong, infinitely bettered by TSC. It hasn't got the leg straps as you point out, theres only basic articulation, the sculpt and detail lack the sharpness of the TSC one. Eye of the beholder indeed.

Luuuuuuke
02-21-2006, 08:24 PM
:confused: You think the TSC one is better but prefer the POTF one? I can't look at that figure now. The face is totally wrong, infinitely bettered by TSC. It hasn't got the leg straps as you point out, theres only basic articulation, the sculpt and detail lack the sharpness of the TSC one. Eye of the beholder indeed.

Yeah, I'm kind of contradicting myself. But I guess the size of the new AT-AT
bothers me more than the drawbacks of the POTF one. Part of the reason is that at the time, the POTF one was a real pleasant surprise for me. I'm a little less tolerant of shortcomings on new figures because I kind of figure they should have learned by now. Having said that, I'm not really that picky. I'm sure you're right. I'm probably thinking with my heart.

figrin bran
02-22-2006, 02:06 AM
perfect figures? slave leia, aayla secura...

oh you meant action figures! :p

even the ones i think are the best have at least small flaws so i don't think there are any "perfect" ones. for instance, ROTS obi wan pilot's legs are too skinny and the arms are kind of short and so there's a limit to the number of ways you can pose him with the lightsaber. now having said that, these are a few of the best ones, at least by my reckoning

Saga AT AT Driver
ROTS AT RT Driver
ROTS Plo Koon
ROTS Kit Fisto
Saga Bossk
VOTC Boba Fett
#33 Clone Commander
#41 Clone
ROTS Dooku
Clone Wars Animated ARC trooper
Clone Wars Animated Obi Wan (the carded one, not the one in the recent WM 3 packs)
POTJ IG-88

Luuuuuuke
02-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Actually POTF Bosk is pretty perfect as far as I'm concerned. In the movie Bossk looks pretty stiff and unrealistic, and wouldn't you know it, that's exactly how he looks as a figure. Perfect!

Blackened88
02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Well i just got the AT-AT Driver and even with his swivle elbows i still think hes perfect, just love em :love:

mark2d2
02-25-2006, 05:21 AM
POWER OF THE JEDI
Duro (so dang cool, i don't mind that his articulation now seems dated)
FX-7 (still only the most articulated figure ever!)
R4-M9
R2-Q2 (coolest droid accessory every, red Death Star II hologram.)

SAGA 1
R4-19
R1-G4 (just flat out amazing -- not only that they made this guy, but did him so well. outstanding.)

VOTC
Ben (Obi-wan) Kenobi
Boba Fett
Chewbacca
Darth Vader
Han Solo
Lando Calrissian
Leia Organa
LUke Skywalker (call me crazy, the cloth is just so retro here it works for me)
R2-D2 (love the removable third leg -- a nod to vintage droid factory)
Stormtrooper
Yoda

REVENGE OF THE SITH
Preview R4 (finally, a third leg that works properly!!!)
Royal Guard (red)
Royal Guard (blue)

RECENT EXCLUSIVES
R2-X2 (spiffy in not-so-basic black. excellent paint job all around.)
R2-Q2 (okay, both of these two are truly amazing, but here is the clear standout. with five different colors of paint apps on top of the perfect grey hued plastic, the level of detail and care that went into making this little guy is unbelievable. plus both emply the incredible Preview R4 mold. two dream figures that totally exceeds all expectations. these two blow the other eight EE figures away. (not the others are bad...) the character design on these two is definitely the strongest, in a world of off color artoos (what's up with all the white bodies, george?) they REALLY stand out as truly original. plus, both are instantly recognizable from ANH. one doesn't have to hunt very hard at all to find them.)

ones that look perfect and are out soon.

SAGA 2
AT-AT driver (i can't find him.)
R5-D4
Hammerhead

VSTC
Biker Scout
Greedo (wrists! elbows! cloth vest, oh my!)
Luke X-Wing
Han Solo Endor
Tuskin Raider (i know, i know...i MAY be overly optimistic here, even with my love of cloth.)