PDA

View Full Version : Favourite brick colours?

Jargo
02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Ok so there's a spectrum of brick colours out there. Which are your favourite colours to build with? Or, which colours do you find yourself building with most? Forget shapes or sizes, just the colours.

I favour tan, yellow, orange, green and brown. with a little dark grey and black.
for some reason red and blue don't draw me at all. perhaps it's the particular shades or just that having had lego since i was a little kid in the early seventies, I had so much red and blue I just got sick of seeing it.
i like the verdi gris green and sand red but there's not much use for those in my builds unless it's rooves. the deep red (and yes sorry, I don't know the official colour designations) is cool but there's never enough of the newer colours to do much with. which is why I like the new spongebob squarepants sets for the orange.

LusiferSam
02-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I don't think I've heard anybody use verdi gris green to describe sand green (I assume this is the color you're talking about). If you're looking for the colors names (or what most Lego fans call them by) Peeron's color list (http://peeron.com/inv/colors) fits the bill.

My favorite color is red. But I rarely build with because red is a high light or focal color in my projects (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=LusiferSam). I do like and use light gray quite a bit. I'm a big fan and supporter of the classic colors. It's my belief that folks at Lego who were involved with the color change need to publicly whipped for their actions.

Slicker
02-19-2006, 10:28 AM
My favorite color stems from hours and hours of childhood building and that color is yellow. That was the most abundant color we had as children and it was also the color that we had the largest pieces in (i.e. 6 long and 8 long bricks) and the one thing we'd always build were houses. We had a very large box full of LEGO's and my little brother and myself would always build yellow house with improvised furniture in them. Ahhhh, memories.:pleased:

Jargo
02-19-2006, 10:44 AM
yes, sand green. I WAS going to say that but I just wasn't sure if I was right.
I know what you mean about colour changes. i think the new red is horrible. far too bright. I'm not a fan of medium orange either. it's quite sickly looking. Perhaps in time they'll revert to the less garish colours.

Ji'dai
02-19-2006, 11:07 AM
I always preferred blue as a kid since all the ships and bases in the Space theme were built in blue. I never had enough trans-yellow bricks for windows though.

I prefer white for buildings now with red or yellow accents, to match the color motifs used in the Pirates fortresses. For instance, the 6276 Eldorado Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6276_1&v=z) has a white-stucco exterior that is peeling in some areas to expose the red brick underneath.

bobafrett
02-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Ive always been a fan of the greys, light and dark. I don't know why, but I remember back before the Star Wars Legos came along, I built myself some sets out of different colored lego's, but then painted them grey.

JediTricks
02-20-2006, 04:36 AM
My first technic set was all yellow, but since then I've had a LOT of black from Blacktron and Technic and just in general, so nearly everything I've built has been black plus whatever leftover colors I can find enough of.

Jargo
04-03-2007, 06:31 PM
have to say currently I'm really getting into the dark colours. Red, green, blue, tan. I'm still big on the oranges but those dark colours make such a change from the bright ones it's a relief to build with them.

there's certain colours i detest like teal and that reddish purple the first Dumbledore minifig was done in. torquoise is a bit vile too.

I'm finding it easier to tolerate the brighter colours when they're toned down with the darker ones. I think i just got sick of the sight of those original colours after 35 years. the sand colours are cool. I'm just starting to fully appreciate the variety of colours out there. Just wish more of the newer colours were available on Lego's pick a brick. and in bulk brick bags.

JediTricks
04-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I kinda like the dark red, DEFINITELY prefer it over regular red, same with blue. I don't use green at all anymore though.

For building, I hate to say it but I like bley and dark bley best now (even if the bricks they're in aren't as binding as the classic versions).

Jargo
04-04-2007, 07:02 PM
I was looking through that peeron colour chart and it gave me a headache. Lego should do their own. I mean they must have one to consult when planning the models so why not make it easier for us by providing one. I'm getting boggled with so many different greys.

the peeron chart includes Duplo which is irritating. most people use technic or basic bricks/parts and having Duplo and Dacta pre-schooler parts included just makes the whole thing even messier. Not to mention a lot of people have no idea what the colours are named and make it up. Ebay is a nightmare for that.

I was ust in the loft sortingthrough some bricks and noticed my original 1970's white lego is now a sort of yellowish tan colour. I think I'll call it vomit yellow. And my original blue has got a decidedly yellow tint too making an interesting green blue. A sign it's been well played with and also well sun baked. But at the rate I'm buying Lego bulk i'll probably be able to dispose of those millions of old yellowed bricks soon.

anyone else have yellowing bricks?

JediTricks
04-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Duplo colors and Bionicle colors shouldn't count since they are oddball specialty colors.

My oldest bricks from the early '80s, most of the white has deteriorated over time (even when kept in the dark the entire time), the plastic simply ages - it's also why it gets more brittle. The only color I think really suffers it is the white though, I don't use much blue so I haven't noticed any changes there, and all that technic yellow and gray from back then is just dirty from finger oils but no significant changes. I haven't even noticed changes in the trans colors from back then.

LusiferSam
04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
anyone else have yellowing bricks?

Yup. White is the worst of yellowing. One of my sister's sets (now one of mine) is terrible yellowed. If I can find the bricks I'll post some photos. It's pretty cool because you can see where the brick were exposed to the Sun. One of my Police sets is a bit yellowed too.

The only color I think really suffers it is the white though, I don't use much blue so I haven't noticed any changes there, and all that technic yellow and gray from back then is just dirty from finger oils but no significant changes. I haven't even noticed changes in the trans colors from back then.

That's not entirely true. The lighter the color the worst off you are. The lightest color is clear. Clear brick yellow pretty quickly and look like the yellowed bubbles on Kenner figures. Light gray also yellows. It's not as bad as white. Blue is very weird as it ages. I've seen it lighten (it's an off-blue color) and darken. In both case the bricks were very old. On rare occasions I've seen red lighten. The other colors I have no clue on. Most are too new or to have really aged much.

JediTricks
04-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't think I ever had any trans parts that weren't windshields, and NONE of mine have yellowed over the years, but if I ever had trans bricks, I lost them long ago (I don't generally like using them, they're terrible at being windows).

Bel-Cam Jos
01-04-2008, 06:32 PM
My very first LEGO set was a police van and motorcycle cop. The side "windows" of the van were two 1 X 8 transparent bricks. That was in the late '70s, man... :tired:

As for my faves, I have not really been a builder since I've left my teen years, so my choice is an old one: gray. There was only one shade, a light color. Made any tanks, ships, figure vehicles, castles, etc. look cooler than red, blue, or yellow; white was okay but too simple.

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I've been growing more and more distant from black, I loved it as a kid for most any space set, but it has so little contrast that it doesn't stand out very well. I'm getting into dark blay and light blay (blay is the new "bluish gray" that LEGO uses as gray) more lately but it often needs visual touches more than black.