PDA

View Full Version : Where'd everybody go???

plasticfetish
02-20-2006, 07:00 AM
So, uh... Hasbro...

Why are the pegs so empty in all of the stores right now? I'm not normally one to complain, and for years I've had a pretty good attitude about waiting and finding -- if it's meant to be, then I'll find what I'm looking for -- but lately things have been a bit grim.

I'm no slacker when it comes to hunting for new figures, and I live in a pretty big metropolitan area, so there's no shortage of places to shop. When I do find new figures it seems that I've turned up just after the store's one or maybe two new cases of figures for the month have been put out. So what's going on? After a big year of Star Wars sales, are we to just assume that your big retail spots like Target, Toys R Us and that other place with the happy face (the one that undercuts their competitor's prices at the risk of taking a loss just to get people into the stores) are really ordering so much less merchandise this year?

I'm seeing lots and lots of Unleashed Battle Packs. I'm seeing plenty of Star Wars Customs and a few Ultra Titaniums. I'm even seeing lots of Galactic Heroes and Attactix, but the pegs where the basic figures should be hanging are empty. (Except at TRU where they're still full of ROTS figures. Please have a word with your friends at TRU about doing a nice clearance on their old stuff like they used to.)

I won't order this stuff online. I'm sorry, I just don't trust your product quality with all of its hit and miss paint jobs. For the money, I need to see what I'm buying before I decide to buy it.

We're all excited enough about what we've seen and what's supposedly coming for the rest of the year. It would be nice to know if we can expect to have such a hard time finding new basic figures from here on.

...or is it just that most places have been waiting 'til after Toy Fair to start putting out?

Hmm? Hasbro... hello?

jedi master sal
02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
I have to agree with PF on the question.

What's up Hasbro. I've got money itching to be spent on this stuff.

I'm no saver though, so you're losing out, because since I can't find the figures, I'm buying other Star Wars brands, like Gentle Giant, Master Replicas, etc. I wouldn't buy som much of their stuff (which is way more expensive) if I had your action figures to purchase!

Back around Thanksgiving, I preplanned my budget for your Star Wars prodcut. That was $4K. I'm sad to say that since you've neglected to get product out there, portions of that money have already been spent (on the things mentioned above) with no plan to replace that money for your product.

Would you rather lose thousands of dollars to other competitors or would you rather have that yourselves?

Come on folks, get with the program and SHIP THOSE FIGURES!

-Sal

Bacta Beast
02-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm already starting to stress about finding the clones from this Geonosian wave!! I've found Sun Fac and Poggle the lesser (at the overpriced Target store:sad: ) But I'm worried from not finding the clones yet!!!!

jedi master sal
02-20-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm worried too. And what gets me is most of the collectors around me haven't found it either (or if they have aren't saying).

I really find fault with Hasbro's judgement on this being a short-packed fig.

If you check on EE's site, the Utapau CLone is supposed to make several more appearances and in higher numbers. THing is, if we're NOT seeing it now, even when they come 2-3 per case they are going to be darn near impossible to find.

This is not just the case of army builders either. Or course there's ALWAYS the scalper factor. But now I'm seeing more and MORE typical collectors saying they want several of this trooper. The same people who used to only get one card or 1carded/1loose are now clamoring for multiple. Add them into the fray and the problem of this shortpacked figure becomes even more apparent. Then there's the kids and parents who will buy them, th stock boy who holds them for himself or his buddies...

The Tac Ops trooper was a complete fiasco and many either never found it or were only lucky enough to get one.

I fear the Utapau trooper is on an even worse path!

-Sal

El Chuxter
02-20-2006, 03:14 PM
I finally saw one Utapau Clonetrooper this morning. Oddly enough, there was no Scorch to keep him company. Seems odd someone would snatch Scorch and not the Utapau Clonetrooper. :confused:

Slicker
02-20-2006, 04:12 PM
My pegs have been barren lately too with the exception of a single Target that stocked the entire Geo. wave (not to brag but I got the ENTIRE wave). It has been bad in my area. It seems that the stores stock each wave once then move on. I haven't seen any Carkoon wave figures in weeks now and the Hoth figures are barren as well (I saw Vader and R2 from that wave exactly once and that's when I got them). It's obvious that fans are really excited about the new product coming out so why not send a couple of extra cases? It can't hurt anything.

JediTricks
02-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Jan/Feb is always a dead time for toy collecting due to the post-xmas shopping lull and the pre-toy fair anticipation. This year I thought there was actually more toys out in Jan/Feb than usual. Still, can't hurt to get stuff into customers' eager hands sooner than later.

Kidhuman
02-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Slick, you got an R2 now? LMK if ya still need one, will keep an eye out for you.

jedi master sal
02-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Jan/Feb is always a dead time for toy collecting due to the post-xmas shopping lull and the pre-toy fair anticipation. This year I thought there was actually more toys out in Jan/Feb than usual. Still, can't hurt to get stuff into customers' eager hands sooner than later.

I agree that it usually is a dead time, but with the first two waves coming out and being "relatively" easy to find (compared to the Geonosis wave), it seems odd that this wave hasn't shown up in abundance. I've only seen 3PO once (passed), Sun Fac twice, Poggle once, Yoda once, Jango once. Never seen Sora Bulq, Scorch, or the Utapau trooper.

And you guys that know me, know I'm out ALOT looking for stuff. True it's at nigh around 7pm when most stuff has been picked over, hence the meager finds I've had. But this wave just isn't showing up like the first two.

Bib and Han are starting to peg. Derlin and Veers are too. (Mind you it's not too bad for peg warming either as there's never more than a few figs on the peg at a time, if at all.) I would have just thought that we would have seen more of the others at least to give us a clue that the wave has been showing up alot. I've gotten the impression that the Geo wave has only been shipped once or twice at most to stores and at that only one case per store. That's very meager. Sure it keeps the pegs "clean," but we WANT to buy this product. It's not like the Galactic Hero's (which I like), Choppers, even Transformers that are clogging up valuable shelf and peg space.

WE WANT FIGURES HASBRO!!!

Lazer Brain
02-21-2006, 11:53 AM
I have to agree with sal here, there are plenty of Choppers,transformers and Galactic heros out there on the pegs, but only one lonely row for figure and its BARE! sure the playskool figures are fun to collect, but the 'othes' have lost there charm. i think hasbla has over extended the product licence , thinking that they would grab more 'collectors' to these other lines, i for one did not bite. give us back the figures! this is your bread and butter guys.
later

JediTricks
02-21-2006, 05:03 PM
I agree that it usually is a dead time, but with the first two waves coming out and being "relatively" easy to find (compared to the Geonosis wave), it seems odd that this wave hasn't shown up in abundance. I've only seen 3PO once (passed), Sun Fac twice, Poggle once, Yoda once, Jango once. Never seen Sora Bulq, Scorch, or the Utapau trooper.It's only been showing up for a week or so, what do you people want? Hasbro's still shipping the Carkoon wave in full force and I'm betting is still ramping up on the Hoth wave - it's going up against 2 other waves. There are legitimate complaints, but I don't think the Geo wave's current lack of shelfiness is one yet.

plasticfetish
02-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned the Geonosis wave is still just hitting, so I'm not all that worried about finding it. (Not that the Geonosis wave is such a big deal to me.) It's the fact that I'm seeing nothing from the other waves now that kind of freaks me out. No Carkoon, no Hoth... nothing. Just a bunch of bare pegs with maybe a lone Bib figure on them... or maybe the Geo Yoda figure sitting for a few days.

It's just weird. Mostly because there's so much other stuff, it makes the basic figure pegs look even more empty.

You know, I'm not seeing any new Titaniums now either. I suppose this is simply a case of people buying up the stuff we really want and leaving the rest to sit.

Hasbro... we want basic figures and Titaniums. (And honestly, it couldn't hurt to re-release a few of the ships from the earlier Titaniums waves. I missed out on the TIE bomber, and even the last wave with the Death Star seemed to vanish waaaay to quickly.)

If anything, I'm just starting to worry about finding figures from the waves that I'm really excited about, like Tatooine and Endor. (If I can't find the clones from the Coruscant wave, then that'll suck, but I'll live.)

Edit: ...and then I go to Target tonight and find seven Poggle the Lesser figures hanging there. Just Poggles and nothing else. Dry spell's over... I guess. :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
02-22-2006, 03:00 PM
One minute you're all... "What's up with the new figures, Hasbro?" and then the next you're having a really nice conversation with someone that seems to have all of the answers.

Hmm, so now I just need to figure out how and where to unload some of the tidbits of info... :Ponder:

(Psst! Over in the TSC section.)

Bacta Beast
02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
It's only been showing up for a week or so, what do you people want? yet.

Uhhhh . . . I think the answer to that is the new figures.