PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else watch The Tick cartoon on Toon Disney?

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Am I alone in watching The Tick every night at 11pm on Toon Disney? I admit, I did not watch The Tick much when it first aired on Fox Kids. Maybe I did not appreciate the humor, but watching it now does give me a good laugh.

With the month old news that the show is supposed to come to DVD this year, I have tried to curb my watching of the show, but I fail each and every time I put the show on.

Any other fans of The Tick? Anyone else make it a point to watch the reruns on Toon Disney? I'm going to also guess and say that the comics are equal, if not better, than the cartoon?

Slicker
02-22-2006, 02:27 PM
I didn't know it was on again. I loved that cartoon when it was on waaaaay back in the day. That cartoon had so many quotable lines too.

Unfortunately it's on while I'm at work so I won't get a chance to watch it but I may have to partake in the DVD set of it.

El Chuxter
02-22-2006, 03:13 PM
"Comfort, commitment, marriage. What do these three words have in common? The letter 'C.' Well, except for marriage. And if people become all British when they hit their heads, what do British people become? I'll tell you: comatose. Another 'C.'"

"Let's hang ten for justice!"

"I'm doing. . . laundry!!"

"Arthur, I hoped to never have to say this to you, but SPOOOOOOON!!!!"

I don't see the show that often on Toon Disney, but I watched it religiously back in the day, before Fox canned it. (Same for the live action show, though I prefer the childish slapstick of the cartoon.) This show never got the credit it deserved; it's truly one of the best cartoons of all time.

I'm really glad to read the mention of a future DVD. I've gotten the impression that Buena Vista has held off on a lot of animated DVDs so as not to hurt viewership of Toon Disney. Which makes me wonder two things:

First, are these going to be proper season sets, or at least chronological individual discs? Or a few lousy "best of" sets?

Second, as mediocre as it may seem now (especially compared to Evolution), any word on The Adventures Of A Badly-Voiced Jubilee Getting Into Stupid Situations With Evil Mutants And Being Rescued By An Even More Badly-Voiced Rogue X-Men finally coming to DVD as well?

Rogue II
02-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Watch it? I have about 28 episodes on my Tivo. I just wish I could download them to a DVD. But, if this news of an upcoming DVD is true, I don't have to worry about it.

Gravity is a harsh mistress.

Lazer Brain
02-22-2006, 03:39 PM
WAY COOL, i havn't heard of this since way back when. it was a great show, the live action one was lame. but i am a big fan.
later

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, it's not been confirmed by Disney, but the news of the DVD release was provided by the same person who told TVShowsOnDVD about Dinosaurs coming to DVD. So their source seems accurate.

Anyway, according to that source the set is being worked on for a release sometime in 2006 along with Darkwing Duck. They say the set will be multidisc and similar to the releases for DuckTales and Rescue Rangers (not sure if that's good or bad).

Really, I'd expect them to release all of the episodes since, according to their report, it only ran for 36 episodes.

So remember, it's not been made official by Disney (so anything can happen), but sources say it is coming.

I haven't read anything about X-Men coming to DVD, though. People thought they'd release some to tie in with the next movie (like how the Fantastic Four cartoon was released with its film), but nothing's shown so far.

Rocketboy
02-22-2006, 10:54 PM
I also had no idea The Tick was back on the air.
That was such a great cartoon.
I pray this DVD rumor turns out to be true.

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Woah...ugh. For anyone who takes up watching it on Toon Disney, make sure to change the channel when it's over. I just got a surprise with an episode of Power Rangers, which isn't even a cartoon! Why is it on Toon Disney?

El Chuxter
02-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Was this the episode with the Super-Artwork Ranger? :confused:

Lord Malakite
02-23-2006, 05:15 AM
Was this the episode with the Super-Artwork Ranger? :confused:
You mean Trent.:D Perhaps it was the episode "Drawn into Danger." They used rotoscoping and ink outlines to give the show a cartoon/comic book look in that episode. You might as well get used to Power Rangers on Toon Disney as by the end of the year it will pretty much be the show's exclusive outlet.

Just think, 15 seasons worth of Power Rangers. :laugh: I wish I had Toon Disney. :cry:

El Chuxter
02-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Yikes, I was cracking a bad joke. I didn't realize there really was a super-artwork ranger! :eek:

Having worked in a TRU during the height of Rangermania, I can safely say I hope to never see them again. Except for Amy Jo Johnson, who I don't mind seeing and not hearing.

Lord Malakite
02-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Yikes, I was cracking a bad joke. I didn't realize there really was a super-artwork ranger! :eek:
He wasn't called super-artwork ranger (http://www.rangercentral.com/prdt-rg-trent.htm), but he did have a thing for drawing pictures and comics.

James Boba Fettfield
02-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Had a few good one's on lately (Protoclown, an episode about the Terror and his new group of villains), especially tonight's episode with the Swiss Army and Little Wooden Boy.

"Blowhole! Blowhole!"

El Chuxter
02-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Little Wooden Boy! Man, I forget how classic that show really was.

I think my all-time favorite villain is The Evil Mad Bomber What Bombs At Midnight. Though the Empress of the Ottoman Empire is a close second.

James Boba Fettfield
05-19-2006, 10:01 PM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5685

Motherf***! What the hell is their problem? The 10 funniest episodes from season one?! How about a Complete Series or hell, I'll settle for a Vol. 1 that collects the first season with future releases coming.

They're willing to release Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, and Rescue Rangers with proper releases, but not The Tick!

Give us the whole series or give us nothing.

EDIT-DavisDVD is reporting the set will indeed be the entire season 1 (13 episodes). "Most hilarious"...ah, I see what happened there.

James Boba Fettfield
05-23-2006, 08:56 AM
In a new turn of events, TVShowsonDVD has posted information that this release is 12 of the 13 episodes from Season 1.

Why is one episode missing and which episode is it? Right now no one knows which episode is missing, but the reason given is "legal issues."

Damn those legal issues!

El Chuxter
05-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Any word on which episode is missing? :confused:

James Boba Fettfield
05-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Nothing official, just fans speculating right now.

The most popular speculation is saying that it's the Mad Bomber episode. I don't know why that is a legal issue...maybe a sensitivity issue? This was the list of reasons that tvshowsondvd received from readers for what could be the issue.

It's the one you mention: "The Mad Bomber What Bombs At Midnight", because its episode ("Tick vs. Tick") has been cut before (I didn't know that)
That it's Chairface Chippendale because "Chippendale" may be trademarked
That it's "Breadmaster" because that's a kitchen appliance name that may be trademarked
That it's "Mole-Men" because DC may somehow own that as a trademark because of the old "Superman vs. the Mole-Men" serial film(s)
That it's the Mole-Men episode because the character "Mindy Moleford", er, ticks off Cindy Crawford
That "Brainchild" (whose brain is in a plastic dome) resembles various comic book villians too much
That "El Seed" is WAY too much sounding like "El Cid"

Personally, I think it might be the Chairface episode.

Daryl VayDar
05-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Just watched this show last night...Sidekicks Shouldn't Kiss or something to that effect...LMAO! I know there are better episodes of the series, but it's been a while since I saw this one...those idiots mistaking Arthur for Carmalita(sp?) and their lame excuses cracked me up.lol

Rogue II
05-23-2006, 05:31 PM
How many seasons of The Tick were there?

James Boba Fettfield
05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
It had three seasons totaling 36 episodes.

El Chuxter
05-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Man, any of those would be a painful cut. :(

seanmcfripp
05-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Sweet, a Tick thread. I was always a huge fan. Loved the episode with Octo Paganini and Eastern Bloc Robot Cowboy. "I bought his brain!" Poor Arthur gets stuck with the butch Eclair who trades places with Tick as part of the hero foreign exchange program.

I like the Mad Science fair episode too, with that thing TongueTongue. "Poor TongueTongue. He weeps for he has but only one tongue with which to taste the world."

Oh, and the Human Bullet, "Fire me boy!" Ooo, ooo, and the one where Tick teaches a superhero class, with Sarcastro, and Mr. Exciting, and the guy who sneezes, and the squirrel girl with "I like squirrels."

I totally forgot what a great show that was.

Daryl VayDar
05-25-2006, 07:12 PM
When I shutdown my computer-
"Take that objects of modern convenience!"
On restart- the Tick theme song.
It's a pretty nice combo, and when the theme song ends, the computer is up and running...me likey.

James Boba Fettfield
05-31-2006, 07:17 PM
The missing episode is The Tick vs. The Mole Men. Why is it missing? "Creative considerations."

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5764

El Chuxter
05-31-2006, 10:19 PM
"Creative considerations"? WTF?

So no "Mindy." Sucks, but at least it's not the Evil Mad Bomber What Bombs At Midnight who was cut.