PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistancy with Sabers

Maxu3x
02-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Can someone explain to me why the lightsabers that obi wan and ankain fight count dooku with in attack of the clones is different than the ones MR has offered? They show a close up of those hilts during the battle and they're totally different than the "popular" hilts.

nash
02-24-2006, 01:31 AM
hehe thats an easy one. It's because those are not obi and anakins personal sabers. Obi apparently loses his lightsaber when he is captured by dooku, and anakin gets his smashed in the droid factory. Then when the arena battle happens, the other jedis toss them two generic jedi sabers to fight with. that is what they are using when they fight dooku.

Jayspawn
02-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks nash! Easy question, easy answer.

JediTricks
02-24-2006, 04:04 PM
There's a few lightning-quick shots in the Dooku battle where you can see they're using the sabers they had in the beginning of the movie because at that point in filming Lucas hadn't rewritten it so the hero sabers were gone.

As for why Obi-Wan's saber shows up momentarily in ROTS' Dooku battle... that's a mystery.

Maxu3x
02-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Obi wan's saber in ROTS isn't the saber he lost in AOTC is it? What saber are you talking about jeditricks?

JediTricks
02-25-2006, 05:25 PM
In ROTS, Obi-Wan has a new lightsaber that is reminiscent of the one he uses in ANH (supposed to be the same one, I guess), but while most use the correct saber there are a couple quick scenes in the Dooku fight in ROTS on the Invisible Hand where you can see Obi-Wan is using his AOTC saber.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-25-2006, 06:08 PM
In ROTS, Obi-Wan has a new lightsaber that is reminiscent of the one he uses in ANH (supposed to be the same one, I guess), but while most use the correct saber there are a couple quick scenes in the Dooku fight in ROTS on the Invisible Hand where you can see Obi-Wan is using his AOTC saber.
I didn't notice any other shots, but in the ones where Anakin goes to get Obi-Wan ("His fate will be the same as ours"), it's painfully obvious that it's his TPM/AOTC saber design -- you can see the red button and other marks.

Maxu3x
02-25-2006, 07:29 PM
It's hard to believe you noticed that AOTC saber. That movie shows the obi wan rots hero prop like a million times.

Maxu3x
02-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Does anybody know if obi wans saber in rots is the same one just modified in ANH?

Tycho
02-26-2006, 05:11 PM
It's supposed to be. Meanwhile, I hate those large, rectangular power switches. (See my bloody-handed- Vader saber post). There needs to be an Obi-Wan TPM Force FX saber. That would solve all my problems!

I'm super fast with my forms. I just need to learn how to only injure my opponents and not myself with my own saber! The dumb-nuts (Anakin, Vader, Obi-Wan by Episode 3, even Luke - though he was a bit smarter - just a little bit) don't know how to make lightsabers! I guess this was a skill Obi-Wan just lost after AOTC? He once knew how to make a darn good weapon!

Jayspawn
02-26-2006, 08:34 PM
In the movies -its the same lightsaber. It saw a lot of action (or lack there of) on Tatooine. Vader was probably suprised to see it after he got it from Obi-Wan.

JediTricks
02-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Yeah, the prequel cannon says that the ROTS Obi-Wan and Anakin sabers are the same ones we see in ANH. No mention of how they got so different though.

Tycho
02-27-2006, 06:56 AM
The Smithsonian or some traveling display show has the real original Obi-Wan prop from ANH, if there wasn't more than 1 and MR doesn't have a copy as well.

Meanwhile, prop-builders saw room for improvement while they were at it for ROTS and probably INTENTIONALLY tweaked the design a little so they could tell their buddies "See that button? I added it." Or whatever.

MR explained all that at their Q&A at Comic Con, btw.

That's why I'm not so particular about the neck on the Luke ROTJ saber along with other things. Obi-Wan's ROTS does look like crap though (from pictures we've seen so far) and I don't need another blue blade with giant switch box to bloody my other hand. I just will patiently wait for the TPM saber (shameless hint # 5,000,000).

Maxu3x
02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Meanwhile, prop-builders saw room for improvement while they were at it for ROTS and probably INTENTIONALLY tweaked the design a little so they could tell their buddies "See that button? I added it." Or whatever.

MR explained all that at their Q&A at Comic Con, btw.

- The explained what exactly?

Tycho
02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
- The explained what exactly?

They explained nothing exactly, but suggested that this is what happens when prop-builders work on the movie at such small details that normal movie-goers would never pick up on minute differences in the saber hilts, etc. There's stories of how the computer screens on Star Trek actually listed thank you's to behind the scenes guys or family members, etc., but were too small to read on-screen by the viewing audience, or too briefly shown. There's the infamous potato flying around in the asteroid field when the Falcon goes through it in ESB - and the USS Enterprise flying past the Jedi Temple in TPM (though I haven't spotted it myself).

So in a nut shell, there aren't fanatic fans there on the set to make sure every detail exactly matches on things like saber hilts, because not many would notice and not many would care. Thus improvements could even be appreciated (such as how Vader's costume changed from ANH to ROTJ). That has nothing to do with the idea that Obi-Wan had to fight Anakin Skywalker and severely injured him on Mustafar. They could have thrown rocks at each other, and not had it really affected the story.

JediTricks
02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Meanwhile, prop-builders saw room for improvement while they were at it for ROTS and probably INTENTIONALLY tweaked the design a little so they could tell their buddies "See that button? I added it." Or whatever.Yeah, but just because they CAN change something doesn't mean they SHOULD, that's a big problem with these sorts of prequelized things, everybody thinks they know better than the original and can do more than the original without stopping to take in its essence of what made the original special. The sabers stand out visually though, so it's not like the tiny playboy poster in the Rebel Blockade Runner prop.