PDA

View Full Version : Don Knotts dead

JediTricks
02-25-2006, 05:14 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060225/ap_on_en_tv/obit_knotts

He was 81, I actually thought he was even older. One of the most well-recognized character actors of the last 50 years, Knotts brought humanity to his doofy sidekick deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show", as well 5 years as Mr Furley on "Three's Company", and starred as the sometimes-animated Incredible Mister Limpet - whose avatar Chux has been rockin' the last few days.

Anyway, it's a sad loss, Don Knotts did a lot of fun cameos and his death is a sad loss.

Kidhuman
02-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Wow, I thought he was dead already. Tis a sad loss in the comedy world.

El Chuxter
02-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Wow. Knotts was one of those actors who was so iconic that you can't help but feel like you've been run over by a Mack truck carrying anvils when you hear that he's no longer with us. :cry:

James Boba Fettfield
02-25-2006, 05:42 PM
What odd timing, especially after that Limpet discussion in the bargain dvd thread.

Lazer Brain
02-25-2006, 05:46 PM
may he rest in peace, one of the truly classic comedy actors. don knotts was a great heart.
later

El Chuxter
02-25-2006, 05:53 PM
What odd timing, especially after that Limpet discussion in the bargain dvd thread.

Yeah, I bet now you feel bad for saying you hated it, right? :p

It's okay. KH hates The Andy Griffith Show. Personally, I can't imagine how anyone can hate anything Don Knotts was in. Except maybe Three's Company.

DarthQuack
02-25-2006, 07:00 PM
He was a great actor....I always loved him on Three's Company and that wide-eyed look on his face....My mom always watches Andy G at night too...:cry:

plasticfetish
02-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I bet now you feel bad for saying you hated it, right? :p It's okay. KH hates The Andy Griffith Show. Personally, I can't imagine how anyone can hate anything Don Knotts was in. Except maybe Three's Company."Das Limpet!" How can anyone hate that movie?

No big shock that he's passed, but it's still a bummer. Growing up, I'd probably watched all of his movies a hundred times during those weekend matinee marathons. It was nice seeing him around every now and then... he'll be missed.

James Boba Fettfield
02-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Very fitting picture considering the news for them both.

Lord Malakite
02-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Kind of odd to lose Darren McGavin, Don Knotts and Al Lewis all in the same month. We got a Kolchak Triangle on our hands.

plasticfetish
02-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Good photo! I see the McGavin/Knotts link (from "No Deposit, No Return"), but how does Al Lewis fit in? Besides being dead...

Lord Malakite
02-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Lewis was in one of the Kolchak movies with McGavin. McGavin (aka Kolchak) is the key.

James Boba Fettfield
02-26-2006, 01:10 AM
It was The Night Strangler. Lewis played a drunk bum living underground.

Bacta Beast
02-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Man that's almost spooky!

R.I.P. Don.:(

Forget mean people, death sucks!!!

Slicker
02-26-2006, 03:28 PM
When I saw that he'd died I thought of the discussion in the DVD thread as well. That's creepy.

As for Mr. Knotts he was definitely a great comedic sidekick and did his job well.

JediTricks
02-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow, Darren McGavin too? People die too much lately. His performance in A Christmas Story was dead-on, incredibly memorable, most actors who aren't "major stars" don't get second chances to make big impressions but both Don Knotts and Darren McGavin did, and now they're dead. :(

PF, is that 'tar a still from "The Reluctant Astronaut"? I remember seeing that one on Ch 5 back when I was a kid, silly stuff for sure but Knotts did what he did very well.

JediTricks
02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
The 3rd celebrity death in the mix: 81 year old Dennis Weaver from Gunsmoke and McCloud, died of cancer on Friday.

Lord Malakite
02-27-2006, 05:48 PM
The 3rd celebrity death in the mix: 81 year old Dennis Weaver from Gunsmoke and McCloud, died of cancer on Friday.
So we have a death rhombus now (if you count Lewis in the mix). One at the beginning of February, two this past Friday, then one this past Saturday. Looks like a kite, a Kolchak Kite.:shocked:

Fly to heaven little Kolchak Kite, fly.

JediTricks
02-27-2006, 06:24 PM
I really don't count Grandpa Al Lewis in the celebrity death trilogy as he died several weeks ago and these all happened this weekend.

Al Lewis was so unique he even died a different kind of celebrity death.