PDA

View Full Version : Utapau Clone package variation

Darth Cruel
02-26-2006, 08:54 PM
It is a minor one, but my collecting partner tells me that he saw two Utapau Clones with different trays holding the figure. Something about the trays differing with or without holes for the antenna and one of the legs.

This will only matter do those of us who are variation psychos (yes I am).

Kidhuman
02-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Can you get pics from them?

Darth Cruel
02-26-2006, 10:00 PM
I will ask him tomorrow (Monday) if he bought them. If he did, I will get some pics up tomorrow.

Bacta Beast
02-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Screw the variants!!! I can't even find one!!!! And it's not that I'm not hunting religiously!!! What chain did your friend see them at?!!!

Darth Cruel
02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Screw the variants!!! I can't even find one!!!! And it's not that I'm not hunting religiously!!! What chain did your friend see them at?!!!

There was no chain involved. He saw them at Frank-n-Scalpers (Frank-n-Sons' Collectbles Show, a big scalper swapmeet) here in Southern California. I believe the city it is in is Walnut (someone who knows for sure where it is help me out, I go there fairly frequently, but I don't pay attention to what city it is in).

Bacta Beast
02-27-2006, 09:19 AM
I wonder where they found em'. I found the Geonosians at a local Target (I live in Michigan) but the rest of the wave has been so hard to find! Then I start to panic!!!!!!:( :(

Darth Cruel
02-27-2006, 09:51 AM
I wonder where they found em'. I found the Geonosians at a local Target (I live in Michigan) but the rest of the wave has been so hard to find! Then I start to panic!!!!!!:( :(

They get them from a few places, I am told that some of them used to band together and get them directly from Hasbro, but don't anymore due to not being able to get along). Some get them from Entertainment Earth. Some get them from other people raiding the shelves of the normal outlets, some raid the outlets themselves (only one guy admitted that, and he is actually not there anymore).

I went in there on Wednesday night about 4 or 5 weeks ago and some guy came in with what had to have been 5 or 6 cases of the Geonosis wave based on how many Scorches and Utapau Clones there were. That was before I ever saw one post about the wave being found at retail from anyone, anywhere. There is a popular rumor that this guy has a connection in China, and if that is the case, it seems to come through this guy that brought the figures in to him. Two weeks later, The same guy brought in what must have been 30 cases or more (once again, counting Scorch and the Utapau Clone). He was selling the Clone and Scorch for 20 and 25 dollars and sold them all out almost immediately.

I was also told that there is a Hasbro employee at the show frequently. Who seems to be able to help guys out with small things, not necessarily new waves of figures, but like general information about releases, and occasionally, parts for broken items.

Slicker
02-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I read about this over on RS. I don't think they had pictures last I knew either.

JediTricks
02-27-2006, 05:31 PM
There was no chain involved. He saw them at Frank-n-Scalpers (Frank-n-Sons' Collectbles Show, a big scalper swapmeet) here in Southern California. I believe the city it is in is Walnut (someone who knows for sure where it is help me out, I go there fairly frequently, but I don't pay attention to what city it is in).It used to be in Walnut, but when they moved north a block and east half a block way back in the day that was in City of Industry.

BTW, some of the F&S dealers do order from Hasbro, some are scalpers who buy off shelves, and some actually fly their figures in from Hong Kong - there's one guy who flies in from China with the stuff in his luggage, I've seen him arrive from the trip at F&S during the show.

Slicker
02-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Okay here's pics of the variation. It's tough to see in this pic but the one on the right has the bubble molded around his leg, arm, and antenna. The one on the left doesn't have that I'm assuming for ease of taking it out of the package. The date stamps are: The fig on the right 53531 and the one on the left 60031.

Pics (http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/Gorkoracing2/370532fb.jpg)

Kidhuman
02-27-2006, 11:54 PM
I can see the difference, especially on the leg.

Darth Cruel
02-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the pic...Slick!

Warstar
02-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I just want one...to open...*DROOL!*

I take it since it has an antenna that it's an SA 41 mold?

Darth Cruel
03-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I just want one...to open...*DROOL!*

I take it since it has an antenna that it's an SA 41 mold?

Yessiree, Bob! Confirmed by the one I have in my grubby little mit (protected in a Star III case from the grubbyness)!

UKWildcat
03-02-2006, 09:43 PM
"Grubby"... for some reason that word is stuck in my head?!? ;) lol

I just took a look at my Trooper and it has the 53531 date stamp. I plan on picking up several more of these which I'm sure will be the more recent variation. Not a big fan of bubble variants if the figure is packaged in an almost identical pose (NOT like the Saga - Vader #13), but it will be nice to have both versions.

Thanks for the pics too Slick!

dashrender
03-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I suppose I color myself lucky that I have found two, and they happen one of each. Do we believe that the first one (with the leg wrapped) is not being made anymore? That they have completely moved production over to the open bubble?

UKWildcat
03-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Do we believe that the first one (with the leg wrapped) is not being made anymore? That they have completely moved production over to the open bubble?

Yes, I would imagine so. Usually thats what they will do and those date stamps are a great indicator.

Darth Cruel
03-30-2006, 05:35 PM
I have picked up 23 of these. The first two were the old ones with the wrapped leg. I have not seen another since then.

TheDarthVader
05-29-2006, 06:57 PM
I have two of these. I am not sure what variations I have, but I am going to go look......................

I only found one...not sure where the other one is...

DATE STAMP WAS 60441. dang

B.
TDV

figrin bran
05-29-2006, 11:44 PM
all of my 10 or so utapau clones have packaging variations...some had the bubble sliced at the bottom, some at the top, others had the two tabs sliced first:D

mastermatt24
05-30-2006, 01:01 AM
what the f.. Heck is the big deal about a bubble variation??? Im all for the variations and errors and stuff, but come on!! Its a FRIKEN PACKAGING BUBBLE! :crazed:

dashrender
05-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Anyone have pictures of these 'bubble' variations?

I have a few Utapau clones, and I have what I consider the only two variations. The one with the leg trapped in the plastic, and the one NOT trapped.

Let's see these pictures to make sure they are not just damage, instead of variations.

UKWildcat
05-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Anyone have pictures of these 'bubble' variations?
Check the last post on the first page of this thread. Slicker posted a link to some pics.

dashrender
05-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Well if this is the case he is talking about, there are the ones I have. Though I have to say, that if I didn't already know what I was looking at, those pictures would not help very much. Thanks for assisiting!

mastermatt24
05-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Well if this is the case he is talking about, there are the ones I have.
Are you saying you have both variations?

dashrender
05-31-2006, 12:12 AM
Here are some close-ups of the two different kinds I have.

With the leg enclosed with plastic.
http://www.backupplan.net/pictures/closed1.jpg

Now the one that is open (and also much easier to find today)
http://www.backupplan.net/pictures/open1.jpg

Does anyone have anything any different?

bobafrett
05-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Nice clear pics Dash! I still have my clones on lay away, I did buy another one that I was going to trade at a local comic store, but I will wait to see what "bubble" variant the ones on lay away have. The one I have here, the leg is just laying, not pinned into the bubble, like the second picture in Dashrenders post.

Darth Cruel
06-01-2006, 02:39 AM
I haven't seen those early variants since the very first time I saw this wave. I was lucky to pick one up. I have looked at at least 50 of these clones since then and have not seen it again.

dashrender
06-01-2006, 07:22 AM
I too have looked at every clone I have seen to see if they had the wrapped leg, and only found the one.

mastermatt24
06-02-2006, 01:37 AM
I have looked at at least 50 of these clones since then and have not seen it again.
Sell it on ebay!! You could be rich and on the news! "Collecter sells absoulte rare leg bubble variation trooper for $6.00!" Sounds good huh? :lipsrsealed:

Darth Cruel
06-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Sell it on ebay!! You could be rich and on the news! "Collecter sells absoulte rare leg bubble variation trooper for $6.00!" Sounds good huh? :lipsrsealed:

I am not a scalper...I am just a true collector who likes to help other collectors find what they are missing as anyone on this 'site who knows me can tell you. I also just happen to have an interest in variations. Sorry if that makes you angry MM.

mastermatt24
06-03-2006, 03:30 PM
No no!! Im not angry at all! I just find it highly amusing that people are so interested in a freakin leg bubble variation!! Its packaging guys!! Now if it was a misprint, different image, wrong card, ect- thats a little better, but come on!! I dont think having the bubble slightly changed should justify the "true" collector having to go out and spend another $7 on another one. :yes: