PDA

View Full Version : Do you collect the Titanium Series line?

JediTricks
02-27-2006, 03:48 PM
This week's poll asks Star Wars collectors if they are getting into the new Titanium Series die-cast metal line. The line seems to be doing fairly well since it transitioned from Wal-mart exclusive to full-blown mass-retail earlier this year, with several waves of 3" vehicles and 6" Ultra vehicles. Plus there's also the upcoming additions of 3.75" Titanium figures and new franchises to the line, Transformers and Battlestar Galactica, the Titanium Series line is growing into its own property!

Keep in mind that you do not have to be a completist to be considered collecting this line.

So, of the 3" vehicles and 6" vehicles currently out now, are you collecting the Titanium Series?

OC47150
02-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I've been selective as to which of the 3" series I've bought. I was lucky enough to get the CW Republic gunship and the white TIE fighter, and I picked up the swamp speeder, since it was just different.

I'd like to get the 6" ARC-170 Ultra but that might have to wait just a tad longer.

jal
02-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Yes, i've been getting both sizes. I preordered all the small ones though and am just grabbing the ultras when i see them. I just found the ultra Slave 1 a few days ago at Walmart. I still haven't seen any of the titanium figures at retail. I don't care for the marketing ploy of treasure hunts, chase, and limiteds in the line though. I gotta get me one of those gold Vader TIEs from the comic con this year! Sweet!

Tycho
02-27-2006, 04:21 PM
No. I've cut out a lot of Hasbro from my SW collecting as of late.

12" is shifted to SideShow.
Role-Play is shifted to Master Replicas.
3 3/4" is of course still Hasbro.

But...

SW Transformers are performing miserably (or heavily over-stocked) at my Wal-Mart
SW Titanium (figures, ships, mini-ships, etc.) holds no interest for me.
JediForce seemed to have disappeared or are relegated to re-runs.
Galactic Heroes seem to be repaints and not tempting enough to make me buy yet.
Force Battlers are rehashes with minor changes in accessories that don't even tempt.
The Custom Choppers are also performing miserably (or heavily over-stocked) at my Wal-Mart and Target

We'll see how it all ends up of course, but I am spending literally THOUSANDS less on SW this year and to me, that's actually a good change.

itsme
02-27-2006, 04:28 PM
I collect the vehicles only. Just because the Action Fleet series are not in production :(

Captain Spoon
02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't collect them with Sideshow, MR and the few hasbro figures I pick up the cash flow just isn't there anymore for me to scoop everything with a Star Wars logo on it :cry:

Slicker
02-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I collect all of 'em. For some reason I'm in to these lil things (and there bigger cousins) even though I wasn't really in to the old AF and MM lines.

jedi master sal
02-27-2006, 04:43 PM
I collect them all. I have doubles of all of the small ones, with some extra openers for some of the fleet building type ships, like all of the Rebel fighters, TIE and Capitol ships.

I only need the newest wave and the two gold ships to complete the collection, so far...

Darth Cruel
02-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Ummm...no. I started to, but the rest of my collection laughed at me.

LusiferSam
02-27-2006, 04:55 PM
No. Lack of interest and space.

jaxx
02-27-2006, 05:00 PM
I really like the 3" line. I just think that they look so cool sitting on their little bases. I don't buy ALL of them... some of them kinda suck, but I like 99% of them.

abell748
02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I have picked up only a few of each line. I loved the gunship and ACR-170 Ultras. As far as the 3" line goes, I want to only pick up the limiteds and vehicles that will never be made anyway else (RAC, Juggernaut, Swamp Speeder). It is a nice way to have some of these vehicles represented in my collection. Now if I could only beat the Hotwheels b****s to the limited ones I would be happy.

skeeziks22
02-27-2006, 06:41 PM
I voted yes, but I'm not buying them all. I did manage to find the white TIE (which isn't so limited after all) and the republic gunship. The reasons I won't collect this whole line is because I could not possibly find all of these (especially the gold Vader TIE), plus I am not a Die Cast fan.

If this was a small scale of ships that were all in the same scale it would be kind of cool... as it is we have speeder bikes that are just as long as Star Destroyers. They look cool and are very well done, but they don't work for dioramas, and are just one more thing to collect. I have managed to limit myself to 3 3/4" figures even with all the other lines being introduced, so I feel no need to add this line to my collection.

JediTricks
02-27-2006, 07:35 PM
The problem there is that Star Destroyers would be the size of a couch while speeder bikes would be smaller than a grain of rice.

I am collecting both lines, but not picking up each piece, just the stuff I like - though that is most of it - and not picking up the ones that I already have from the Galoob line (same molds and paint masks). I think die cast is great, metal gives the toy a real substance feel, plus less warping and breakage than plastic, less semi-translucent plastics for added realism.

plasticfetish
02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
This is a fun line -- that little AT-AT is one of my favorite things. Being short on display space right now, the Titanium stuff has been great for me. Besides, everyone knows that die-cast is plastic's best friend. :)

Oh... and I've passed on the larger ships so far, but I'm looking forward to some of the OT ultras. I've got my eye on that Snowspeeder for sure.

Blue2th
02-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I do collect these and have liked this line since the Action Fleet Micromachines die-cast. So far I have almost every one, except for the WM blue Tie and Slave 1. I have all of the Ultra released except for the Tri fighter. Which I don't like.

Kidhuman
02-27-2006, 09:40 PM
I havent bought the 6" line because of lack of funds. I like the way they look and all, but I do get roughly 95% of the 3" line. I love those little things.

Bobby Fett
02-27-2006, 09:57 PM
I think they're good looking, but I don't plan to get any.

DarkArtist
02-27-2006, 10:55 PM
yes but not everything. I only get the ones that look good and have yet to be released from the first MM line.

Bacta Beast
02-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Look, I think the Titanium line is cool and all. But I'm so frustrated with not being able to complete my 3 3/4" collection that I'm not going to bite on anything else til I have! If Hasbro wants my money, it's easy to get. Just pull back all the stupid custom cycle and get the Geonisian wave out there! Especially the clones!!

bobafrett
02-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Yes.........*sigh*..........I'm hopelessly addicted to these.

Val Da Car
02-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Saw the Die Cast Figures....passed...they just did not grab me.

I have some of the 3 inch vehicles and loved them but not all of them.

I want the core ships and some of the repaints (Tie, X wings) but nothing grabs me.

Maybe if my options are to choose between the 3 3/4 figures and the Die Cast I will choose the figures.

For metal items...I have gone MR Mini to match Unleashed (olde Skool) figures.

K M Toydarian
02-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Picked up a Clone Wars Gunship to put beside the animated figs, but that is it. I have all the old Micro Machine vehicles, and I think a few of the die cast ones, but have resisted any of the newer Titaniuum vehicles. Once I get the old stuff displayed properly, I may fill in a few blanks with some of the previously undone ships.
As far as the 6" line goes, I loved the Action Fleet series, and have all of em. I like the new 6" vehicles, but I don't need them to be diecast, or have a display case and the price is too high considering all the other stuff out there.

figrin bran
02-28-2006, 01:48 AM
i'm not a completist but i love this line! i even have multiples of some of the 3" vehicles. for the figures i'm planning to pick up the tact ops trooper and IG-88. i'm even contemplating repainting the 6" republic gunship into the clone wars scheme.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-28-2006, 03:54 AM
It looks real nice and all but TOO much stuff already for me so I voted N.O. At least there are lots of choices though for those of us who love Star Wars and not a lack of things!

vectorx
02-28-2006, 04:59 AM
im surprised of the results. more than half the people don't.
these babies are cool...

for me i am only interested in the 3' line.
i might be picking up some of the ultras and maybe the 3.75' sometime in the future but my focus is on the smaller ones.

JediGoofy
02-28-2006, 09:14 AM
I voted "yes" even if I am collecting just the Star Wars vehicles (both size) and not the figures or the non-SW stuff (Transformers and Battle Star Galactica :sad: ).

The vehicles are from the entire saga, and this line is what we can get in place of the old MicroMachines and Action Fleet stuff. :love: Moreover I like very much the package and the display they came in. :pleased:

But I am worried about the limited editions and the convention items (the gold vehicles). I would not like if they turned the fun into a nightmare (after all if Hasbro wants to make money why not release all the stuff we want to buy, are they trying to support the secondary market? :rolleyes: ).

Ciao,
JediGoofy

dindae
02-28-2006, 10:31 AM
I really like these for some reason. I am starting to get bored with the silver/gold exlusive garbage. So far I have gotten the Wal-Mart multipacks for the other repaints in the packs. The latest pack is a hard pill to swallow since the only ship I want is the Y-Wing which makes it an expensive ship. I don't think I will get any of the raw items (ships or figures). I like the look of the figures but if they start releasing these too often I won't be able to get them all since $15.99 is too steep to do too often.

skeeziks22
02-28-2006, 12:20 PM
The problem there is that Star Destroyers would be the size of a couch while speeder bikes would be smaller than a grain of rice.

Yeah, I know... just my reason for not wanting them. I have the 6' x 4.5' x 2.5' TRU Falcon display from years back and this thing is actually in scale with the 3 3/4" figures. I couldn't imagine even a 1:84 scale star destroyer.

skeeziks22
02-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Saw the Die Cast Figures....passed...they just did not grab me.

Do you mean Darth Vader and Boba Fett? I didn't know these were hitting yet. If these are the ones you are talking about where and when did you see them?

Larvarela
02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm really into it, loved since it starts last year. I'm getting them because there is no more Action Fleet collection and TItanium is the 2nd best choice.

Currently I'm far to get all the 3" ones and got none of the big ones but plan to do it when extra $$$$$ is available. Already got 2 out of 3 treasure hunts, Vulture Droid, White Tie, pending Clone Wars Gunship.

Ji'dai
02-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Only the 3" vehicles. I buy what I like and usually pass on PT vehicles. I'm not interested in the multi-packs with exclusive variants, repaints, or the silver & gold crap. I stopped collecting Galoob's stuff due to that.

The Ultras look okay but they're too pricey for my taste. I saw Slave I recently and it reminded me so much of the Action Fleet version I passed.

JediTricks
02-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Personally, I really dig the 3" line, they're doing stuff they'd never do for the action figures, so I'm surprised to see so many "no" votes and so many people posting here that they like how these things look but aren't getting them because Hasbro is messing up distribution of a different Star Wars line or whatever - I say "buy now or regret it later when you can't", the action figure distribution is permanently ruined by Hasbro, they've proved time and time again that their case assortments will always screw up that 4" figure line whether it's on purpose or not, but their foolish distribution there won't stop me from enjoying a different Star Wars line.

Yeah, I know... just my reason for not wanting them. I have the 6' x 4.5' x 2.5' TRU Falcon display from years back and this thing is actually in scale with the 3 3/4" figures. I couldn't imagine even a 1:84 scale star destroyer.I understand, I just wanted anybody who read your post and got the wrong idea that it was somehow feasible and they were just holding off on it for whatever reason to come away with a better understanding of the dynamics of doing a scale line.

Ji'dai, the Ultra 6" Slave I is the same mold as the Action Fleet version, just in case you didn't know.

Tycho
02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Personally, I really dig the 3" line, they're doing stuff they'd never do for the action figures,

That totally does not mean we should stop trying to get the more reasonable vehicles for our 3 3/4" figures: the AT-TE, the TurboTank, Droid Gunship, Swamp Speeder, Wookiee catamarin, and some of the less likely but still (off-scale) possible - the blockade runner (I built one off-scale, I should know), Jabba's sailbarge (I may be building one of those), the star destroyer (ditto). Along with the Sith Infiltrator, Gungan Sub, Padme's couple of ships, Grievous' ship that Obi-Wan takes, etc.

A Star Wars microline barely interests me more than HotWheels. It is the characters (represented by the figures) that interact with this stuff, that makes them so special. Don't lose sight of that guys. I wouldn't let Hasbro think for a minute that I'm satisfied yet. 2005 was a great year. But there could still be more good years. In 1996 we got the Outrider, Snowspeeder, Speederbike, AT-ST etc. with no movie to support it. '95 saw the Falcon start shipping again, Luke's landspeeder, the X-wing reboxed from 1978, and the TIE Fighter (ditto). I know those were re-releases, not expensive new molds as might be the Sith Infiltrator or Grievous' ship, but they sold. Come on, Hasbro!

JediTricks
02-28-2006, 06:43 PM
That totally does not mean we should stop trying to get the more reasonable vehicles for our 3 3/4" figures: the AT-TE, the TurboTank, Droid Gunship, Swamp Speeder, Wookiee catamarin, and some of the less likely but still (off-scale) possible - the blockade runner (I built one off-scale, I should know), Jabba's sailbarge (I may be building one of those), the star destroyer (ditto). Along with the Sith Infiltrator, Gungan Sub, Padme's couple of ships, Grievous' ship that Obi-Wan takes, etc.
Hey, if you want to beg brick walls, be my guest, but we all know that Hasbro has foresaken 4"-figure-scale vehicles.

A Star Wars microline barely interests me more than HotWheels. It is the characters (represented by the figures) that interact with this stuff, that makes them so special. Don't lose sight of that guys.After seeing the prequels, I can guarantee you that for some of us, it is definitely not the characters that makes this stuff so special. :p

I wouldn't let Hasbro think for a minute that I'm satisfied yet.Says the man who won't buy a full-sized-wing TIE Fighter or new Stormtroopers because he "already has the originals". :D

In 1996 we got the Outrider, Snowspeeder, Speederbike, AT-ST etc. with no movie to support it.Not a single one of those '96 vehicles sold at all, every single one went to clearance, and the Outrider was abysmal. Come to think of it, the '95 orange-boxed vehicles sold poorly too, whose argument are you making, yours or Hasbro's?

Tycho
02-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Says the man who won't buy a full-sized-wing TIE Fighter or new Stormtroopers because he "already has the originals". :D

Like you said, I have these ships. I don't have anything like Grievous' ship or Padme's star yacht.

Not a single one of those '96 vehicles sold at all, every single one went to clearance, and the Outrider was abysmal. Come to think of it, the '95 orange-boxed vehicles sold poorly too, whose argument are you making, yours or Hasbro's?

I don't know that the vehicles performed poorly or sold well, for that matter. I bought them though, including 6 or more of the original TIE Fighters, and maybe 4 or more X-wings, 3 Falcons, 4 AT-STs, etc. Sure I'm not everybody, but I bet I'm not the only one who was thankful they could buy these again (like they did in the '80's).

skeeziks22
02-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Like you said, I have these ships. I don't have anything like Grievous' ship or Padme's star yacht.

I don't know that the vehicles performed poorly or sold well, for that matter. I bought them though, including 6 or more of the original TIE Fighters, and maybe 4 or more X-wings, 3 Falcons, 4 AT-STs, etc. Sure I'm not everybody, but I bet I'm not the only one who was thankful they could buy these again (like they did in the '80's).

I didn't buy this first round of ships (except the outrider) because they were nearly identical to the vintage versions. I guarantee better sales on new ships and new molds if you throw a figure in with it and have a nice window box to show off the ship and figure. I've got all the ships boxed like this, and the others that have "hidden" pack in figures... but none without pack in figures.

The difference in sales is likely extraordinary when you throw in a pilot/driver for the ship.

For that matter, the Titanium speeder bike (this is what this poll is talking about right?) is cool because it has the pilot right on it. This line would be boosted in my mind if we got titanium pilot/driver figures with each ship even if they were way out of scale with the ship... figures the size of the biker scout (on the Titanium bike) would be an awesome bonus and would make a cool little display. These figures would be like those from the original micro playsets from the 80's.

dindae
02-28-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't think we will every be able to get to the days of 80's or late 90's where we had a steady flow of vehicles and what are those things ..... um.....oh yeah playsets. But at right now we have nothing for 2006 that isn't a repaint or straight up repack. I know the cloud car isn't the most exciting ship but there are others Tycho mention that could easily top it. I don't see how it can be such a bad market out there that we can't have one new vehicle in a non movie year for the top selling toy line of the year before. If they try and push another Jedi Starfighter repaint on me before giving me a V-wing they are going to get a Red Foreman foot in the @$$.

skeeziks22
02-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I don't think we will every be able to get to the days of 80's or late 90's where we had a steady flow of vehicles and what are those things ..... um.....oh yeah playsets. But at right now we have nothing for 2006 that isn't a repaint or straight up repack. I know the cloud car isn't the most exciting ship but there are others Tycho mention that could easily top it. I don't see how it can be such a bad market out there that we can't have one new vehicle in a non movie year for the top selling toy line of the year before. If they try and push another Jedi Starfighter repaint on me before giving me a V-wing they are going to get a Red Foreman foot in the @$$.

We are getting the Clone Wars cartoon paint style Gunship for 3 3/4" figures... it's a TRU exclusive, but at least something is coming. Again though, something original would be nice.

dindae
03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
We are getting the Clone Wars cartoon paint style Gunship for 3 3/4" figures... it's a TRU exclusive, but at least something is coming. Again though, something original would be nice.

Exactly another repaint. So far we have Gunship repaint, At-At repaint, Jedi Starfighter repaint, Snowspeeder repaint, and possibly a repack of Vader's TIE. I'm not saying these are bad choices or should not be done. I will get them all except the Vader TIE, but I still think something new can and should be done now when Hasbro can still ride the wave of success ROTS brought.

JediTricks
03-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Like you said, I have these ships. I don't have anything like Grievous' ship or Padme's star yacht.You don't have the TIE Fighter, you have some creepy chibi TIE jr.

As much as I want them to make in figure-scale Grievous' Starfighter (the one Obi-Wan used to leave Utapau), why would they? These and ships like the Sith Infiltrator didn't DO anything in the movies, they have collector appeal but do they have kid appeal? Hasbro definitely doesn't think so. That's what makes Titanium Series so great, they're able to make these ships, make 'em far more accurate than some misshapen figure-scale version, and sell 'em for $5. You're likely never gonna get a figure-scale Star Destroyer or Naboo Royal Cruiser worth a darn.

I don't know that the vehicles performed poorly or sold well, for that matter. I bought them though, including 6 or more of the original TIE Fighters, and maybe 4 or more X-wings, 3 Falcons, 4 AT-STs, etc. Sure I'm not everybody, but I bet I'm not the only one who was thankful they could buy these again (like they did in the '80's).Every single one you mentioned BOMBED, TRU ended up selling them for next to nothing and STILL had oodles of 'em for a while. And what's funny is the only '96 ship you didn't mention - SOTE Slave I - actually did sell ok for most of its run, though nothing spectacular. Whether or not some collectors were thankful they could buy them again, the majority of the SW market at that time didn't show interest and those failures paved the way for the minimalistic approach Hasbro has taken to vehicles today.

The difference in sales is likely extraordinary when you throw in a pilot/driver for the ship. Up until '99, that's true, but once people started realizing how poor the pack-ins were (I'm looking at you, B-wing with repainted Ten Numb and Y-wing with generic-man :p), that tended to change a little I think, not entirely though. Plus, after a certain price it totally changes even when there is a pack-in figure, like with the AT-AT and the Royal Starship, both of which were eventually sold for $10 a piece at the TRU mega-clearance with lots to go around.

For that matter, the Titanium speeder bike (this is what this poll is talking about right?) is cool because it has the pilot right on it. This line would be boosted in my mind if we got titanium pilot/driver figures witheach ship even if they were way out of scale with the ship... figures the size of the biker scout (on the Titanium bike) would be an awesome bonus and would make a cool little display. These figures would be like those from the original micro playsets from the 80's.That's part of what made Action Fleet so dang great. Galoob tried the "vehicles sold with MM minifigs" thing in the Ep 1 Micro Machines line, but that didn't go over so well.

I don't see how it can be such a bad market out there that we can't have one new vehicle in a non movie year for the top selling toy line of the year before.Target and TRU still haven't gotten rid of all the Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighters and Droid Tri-Fighters from the ROTS line, and Hasbro is planning to send *more* in the TSC packaging.

If they try and push another Jedi Starfighter repaint on me before giving me a V-wing they are going to get a Red Foreman foot in the @$$.Are you counting *after* the purple Mace Windu Ep 3 JSF that we saw at Toy Fair? ;)

Bottom line, Hasbro sucks with figure-scale vehicles, and the further we get from the movies the worse that will be. Luckily for some of us, the Titanium line is filling the void.

dindae
03-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Target and TRU still haven't gotten rid of all the Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighters and Droid Tri-Fighters from the ROTS line, and Hasbro is planning to send *more* in the TSC packaging.
I have to think they have done moderately well or Hasbro wouldn't be able to sell them again. Around here they are gone from most of the stores. TRU I could see being that unaware of thier stock but Target is usually on top of it.

Are you counting *after* the purple Mace Windu Ep 3 JSF that we saw at Toy Fair? ;)
Depends on if I here anything redeeming for 2007.:whip:

Bottom line, Hasbro sucks with figure-scale vehicles, and the further we get from the movies the worse that will be. Luckily for some of us, the Titanium line is filling the void.
I'm just saying I would like something new. We have 7 last year and now nothing new. I just don't understand.

JediTricks
03-01-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm just saying I would like something new. Yeah, I'd like something new too, but I know they're not gonna, so there's no way I'm going to hold off buying Titaniums in the hope that they'll get some vague message on figure-scale vehicles.

We have 7 last year and now nothing new. I just don't understand.It's pretty simple really: last year - movie year; this year - no movie. What new vehicles did we get in '03 and '04 that weren't rehashes of previous modern vehicles? The Sandcrawler, a Diamond exclusive, and it TANKED (due in large part to Diamond's total rip-off pricing).

I have to think they have done moderately well or Hasbro wouldn't be able to sell them again. Around here they are gone from most of the stores. TRU I could see being that unaware of thier stock but Target is usually on top of it.My local TRUs have a bunch of those vehicles on the shelves taking up valuable shelf space, and then a case or 2 more up above on top of the shelves, and probably MORE cases in the back. My local Targets don't have cases in the back but always have those vehicles collecting dust on the bottom shelves. And the only reason WM isn't mentioned here is because they ordered less vehicles supposedly. They're not utter failures the way the '96 line's vehicles were, clogging shelf after shelf, having customers literally kick AT-STs out of the way to get across aisles, but they're not doing well enough for Hasbro to justify new vehicles either - hence the lack of new vehicles this year.

timmae
03-01-2006, 11:15 PM
all i want is figures. why is it so tough to get a figure. i have a slave 1 limited to trade in the trading section. i saw a whole encap at walmart yesterday of those stupid motorcycles. how about shipping 2 cases of figures? it don't make sense to me. can't get them on line, can't find them in the store, then they flood the market with stupid stuff.:mad:

Kidhuman
03-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I found the figures tonight, add them to my collection.

dindae
03-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I'd like something new too, but I know they're not gonna, so there's no way I'm going to hold off buying Titaniums in the hope that they'll get some vague message on figure-scale vehicles.

Don't recall suggesting holding off just agreeing with Tycho that we need more vehicles.

It's pretty simple really: last year - movie year; this year - no movie. What new vehicles did we get in '03 and '04 that weren't rehashes of previous modern vehicles? The Sandcrawler, a Diamond exclusive, and it TANKED (due in large part to Diamond's total rip-off pricing).

I agree the sandcrawler tanked but I believe that was mainly because it failed to be appealing on almost every level. The scale was horrible, its a boring vehicle, and it was incredibly over priced. However if you look at 2000-2002 POTJ era you have TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor, and B-Wing all sold well. It can be done. The fact the January came around did not make anyone stop collecting.

My local TRUs have a bunch of those vehicles on the shelves taking up valuable shelf space, and then a case or 2 more up above on top of the shelves, and probably MORE cases in the back. My local Targets don't have cases in the back but always have those vehicles collecting dust on the bottom shelves. And the only reason WM isn't mentioned here is because they ordered less vehicles supposedly. They're not utter failures the way the '96 line's vehicles were, clogging shelf after shelf, having customers literally kick AT-STs out of the way to get across aisles, but they're not doing well enough for Hasbro to justify new vehicles either - hence the lack of new vehicles this year.

So if the stores are clogged with these vehicles (jedi sf, tri fighter) you are suggesting Hasbro and the retailers decide that instead of coming up with something new they are going to repack the same stuff on the shelves and put it out there to sell even worse than it is now.

realst8guy72
03-02-2006, 01:20 AM
its all crap 2 me.......ALL OF IT !! my entire collection is up for grabs!!!! im getting out of this redicullous collection. how many times are they gonna re-issue the same crap over & over & over & over & over & over & over again???? everything from POTF2 to current!!!! email me at vgssgns@cox.net

Tycho
03-02-2006, 08:22 AM
its all crap 2 me.......ALL OF IT !! my entire collection is up for grabs!!!! im getting out of this redicullous collection. how many times are they gonna re-issue the same crap over & over & over & over & over & over & over again???? everything from POTF2 to current!!!! email me at vgssgns@cox.net

Unless you were in it trying to make some money, which you won't, you should not sell all your old stuff because you don't like the new stuff. You'll probably regret it. (Or at least cherry-pick some things you'd like to keep).

I don't buy much now, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying what I already have.

Now display space / storage space concerns are a different animal. That can get annoying, but there are creative solutions to those issues - and again, you can cherry-pick what you'll keep there as well.

realst8guy72
03-02-2006, 10:06 AM
its all crap 2 me!!!!

skeeziks22
03-02-2006, 11:50 AM
all i want is figures. why is it so tough to get a figure. i have a slave 1 limited to trade in the trading section. i saw a whole encap at walmart yesterday of those stupid motorcycles. how about shipping 2 cases of figures? it don't make sense to me. can't get them on line, can't find them in the store, then they flood the market with stupid stuff.:mad:

This is where I sit as well. I get tired of finding absolutely NO figures on the pegs and then seeing endcaps and center aisle displays of the Star Wars bikes which have not sold well in the regular toy section. Let's stock the toys that got most of us into this collection habit to begin with. There is a reason these are called "basic" figures...

I agree the sandcrawler tanked but I believe that was mainly because it failed to be appealing on almost every level. The scale was horrible, its a boring vehicle, and it was incredibly over priced. However if you look at 2000-2002 POTJ era you have TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor, and B-Wing all sold well. It can be done. The fact the January came around did not make anyone stop collecting.

The appeal of this vehicle was that it was one of the few remaining classic vehicles to be redone. Sure, a new tooling and size would have been great, but that was never going to happen with the sandcrawler. It also was a toy that many people never got when they were younger because of the price. Remote control was not cheap then. I was dissapointed that they did this, and the shuttle Tyderium as exclusives to retailers that jack up the price so high. In my opinion, two cool toys were ruined by the price point.

They're not utter failures the way the '96 line's vehicles were, clogging shelf after shelf, having customers literally kick AT-STs out of the way to get across aisles, but they're not doing well enough for Hasbro to justify new vehicles either - hence the lack of new vehicles this year.

But then Hasbro comes back with the AT-ST as an exclusive with a pack in speeder bike and ewok in wondow box packaging. I don't know about your stores, but these did not stick around long at our store. Hasbro has found good ways to sell their ships and I think a lot of it is in the packaging. ALL of the ROTS ships (and most AOTC) ships were packed in non-window boxes. The window boxes appeal to kids because they can see the toy they are getting... and when there is a figure they can see (instead of saying this guy is in the box) they will want it that much more. For collectors it works because we don't have to pull the ship out of the box to display it. I still see wheel bikes on the shelves, but I guarantee if it was in a window box, with Greivous in the seat it would sell in no time.

The packaging is a big bonus with the titanium ships... you can see the ships and don't have to open them to enjoy them.

Tycho
03-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Then how come Lego doesn't use window-boxing for their packaging? :crazed:

skeeziks22
03-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Then how come Lego doesn't use window-boxing for their packaging? :crazed:

Lego is a different thing all together. They have a following that extends beyond Star Wars, and the different lines just gives Lego collectors something to focus on.

However, they have used window boxes... even some where you can press the little people's heads to make their lightsabers glow. Also, some of their packages have flip up panels where you can see the pieces... but you have to build the lego sets, so you couldn't see the ship/playset anyways.

Kidhuman
03-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Actually they do Tycho, they have been displaying some of the figures in window boxes for the ROTS line. All the light up sabers and stuff.

Tycho
03-02-2006, 01:42 PM
I know guys. I was trying (very unsuccessfully) to be funny again.

I'll stick to my Mouse Droid and Liquid Dawn material.

JediTricks
03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Now display space / storage space concerns are a different animal. That can get annoying, but there are creative solutions to those issues - and again, you can cherry-pick what you'll keep there as well.You know what a good way to deal with that is? Titanium Series! They're a lot smaller and look great on display, you can have a whole fleet on your desk and have room for a few 4" figures to boot. :D

all i want is figures. why is it so tough to get a figure. i have a slave 1 limited to trade in the trading section. i saw a whole encap at walmart yesterday of those stupid motorcycles. how about shipping 2 cases of figures? it don't make sense to me. can't get them on line, can't find them in the store, then they flood the market with stupid stuff.:mad:Because Hasbro has burned retailers so much with awful case assts that lead to mega pegwarmers that they're gun-shy. The SW Custom Choppers are unrelated, as are the Titaniums, they're not even the same division at Hasbro.

Don't recall suggesting holding off just agreeing with Tycho that we need more vehicles.It wasn't you, it was others, there was a general sentiment growing about it so I wanted to respond to it.

I agree the sandcrawler tanked but I believe that was mainly because it failed to be appealing on almost every level. The scale was horrible, its a boring vehicle, and it was incredibly over priced.That's another one of Hasbro's problems, collectors (sometimes rabidly) ask for boring vehicles that few people actually will buy and they're unsure of what's good and what's not. The Sandcrawler was BEGGED for over the course of the last decade, people kept saying they'd buy the old one gutted of its electronics and repainted, yet they really didn't becuase it was expensive and was out of scale. I did buy it on mega-clearance and it WAS a bit boring and out of scale, but it wasn't that bad. I think the problem is that Hasbro has forgotten/forsaken the notion that vehicles are there to sell more action figures, so they should be making them as readily available and inexpensive as possible.

However if you look at 2000-2002 POTJ era you have TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor, and B-Wing all sold well. It can be done. The fact the January came around did not make anyone stop collecting.The B-wing didn't sell well, Target had to clearance a lot of them out, I was able to buy a second one at half off. The problems were blatant: the price was too high and the pack-in was super lame. And what else came out in that era? The Imperial AT-ST, which sold ok but was only hard to find at first until word of mouth did it in (poor quality materials); and Luke's snowspeeder which was short-shipped due to lack of interest I believe (at first it wasn't hot, but after a while it dried up). And generally when January comes around, casual buyers DO dry up, first quarter is always the low point in toy shipping because of the post-xmas crash.

So if the stores are clogged with these vehicles (jedi sf, tri fighter) you are suggesting Hasbro and the retailers decide that instead of coming up with something new they are going to repack the same stuff on the shelves and put it out there to sell even worse than it is now.I can't explain why Hasbro made the decision to carry them over into the TSC brand, my best guess is that they wanted to ensure that there were SOME vehicles for late-comers or something (Kenner did this with the vintage line too). As for why no new vehicles though, that's obvious, it's about risk, Hasbro looks at every new vehicle in terms of paying off the costs to create the mold, if they think a new vehicle won't sell enough units to pay off the mold and turn even a little profit, they won't risk even trying - this is what did in the Action Fleet line... twice. It's backwards thinking to me, they actually have molds in the AF line that they never pressed simply because they felt they wouldn't make their money back - it didn't matter to them that they already PAID for those molds and any money from them would lessen the impact of that.