PDA

View Full Version : Any new Jedi Force coming our way?

K M Toydarian
02-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Just wanted to see if anyone knows if Hasbro is continuing the Jedi Force Playskool line? I really like these along with the Galactic Heroes and Potato Heads, and expected news from Toy Fair about Jedi Force, yet didn't hear a peep.
What happened to the Obi Wan and Boga set? I see auctions from the UK, but was it released in the US?

I thought this line was great for little kids and hoped to get my 1 year old nephew started with them in a couple of years. I like it so much better than the Force Battler line. I know not the same demographic, but still cooler.

JediTricks
02-28-2006, 05:57 PM
They didn't have any at Toy Fair, the only Playskool Star Wars there was the Potatoheads, so I'm guessing the line is dead. My guess is that it and Force Battlers are both dead, and the market for Jedi Force is intended to look to Galactic Heroes (which IMO it should have stayed).

El Chuxter
02-28-2006, 06:01 PM
They focused too much on the fugly human characters (many of them repaints) in this line, IMHO, and too much on rehashed figures with new accessories in the Force Battlers line. Unfortunate this is.

Bacta Beast
03-02-2006, 01:20 AM
I loved this line, and I'm bummed about about the Boga! It wouldn't kill Hasbro to get that into out hands. Even if the sold it through the fan-club or something!

MFox
07-26-2006, 10:16 AM
My question is "why". The Galactic Force guys are cute, but not "playable" enough to be much more than a figurine. Is there a way to find out why they pulled the plug?

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
It's likely due to lack of collector interest, the line sold pretty poorly and didn't get much praise from adult collectors who have been keeping the Galactic Heroes line alive for a while.

Plus, Hasbro recently said that stuff like Jedi Force, Force Battlers, and SW Custom Choppers were only meant to be 2005 lines that cashed in on the kiddie interest from the new movie (I'm paraphrasing, obviously ;)).

Banthaholic
07-27-2006, 12:03 PM
I never purchased anything from this line. I love th galactic heroes but these didn't do naything for me. Plus me being mostly a carded collector and all of the try-me packaging turned me away.

MFox
07-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the information. But I think that it is odd that Playskool would design a toy (made to play with) with collectors in mind. I can definitely see how the "try me" parts might have a negative effect on adults who don't want their stuff touched by little kiddie hands, but from a marketing point of view, this particular line of toys is great for a couple of reasons. One, adults my age (who grew up with star wars) have preschool aged kids who we like to share some of our past with and these guys (who are made to play with) help bridge that gap where the galactic heroes (as cute as they might be) cannot. Second, Rescue Heroes as well as Spider-man and Friends from ToyBiz have done well in their respective lines with their characters of similar anatomy (chunky feet, hands, etc.). I think where they went wrong is from a marketing point. Since I just enjoy a good toy, how do you get your opinions to the right people?

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 04:50 PM
I think the line tanked largely because of the aesthetic and the pricepoint, the look was a little off on every human character to the point where they were a tad grotesque, and because these were larger figures the price on these was too high for little kids. Playskool was right not to market to adult collectors, these didn't have the charm that their Galactic Heroes line has (it wasn't G.Heroes when they started it, but you know what I mean). Also, I think Playskool wasn't paying close attention, Spider-Man & Friends and Rescue Heroes were in decline at the time JF came out, and those other lines are a little better value yet STILL have tons of shelfwarmers.

MFox
07-31-2006, 11:45 AM
I can definitely see where pricepoint would come in as a detourant (speaking if which, does anyone think the same of LEGO playsets?). I know the human faces lookeed pretty generic, and yoda . . . well, let's just not talk about that one, but I thought they had potential. Also, I did not know that the Rescue Heroes or Spider-Man and Friends were in declining sales. How did you find that information? I think design and marketing are fun to learn about. Thanks for any info.

Rocketboy
07-31-2006, 04:20 PM
It's too bad they aren't continuing. The human figures were carp, but Vader and the Droids were awesome. I wanted a Stormtrooper.

JediTricks
07-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Hmm, I don't remember where I read that now, it's been a few months and I hit so many sources every day. You can see it in action at the store though.

LEGO is different, in part because it's a building toy, in part because of the high quality of design and materials. Not that LEGO Star Wars flies off shelves either though.

MFox
07-31-2006, 08:11 PM
I also think it's no fun that they didn't continue. I wanted at least a Darth Maul and a princess leia.