PDA

View Full Version : Renting audiobooks -- SW and otherwise

El Chuxter
02-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I've never been interested in audiobooks until pretty recently, but I've come to realize they can keep one awake on very long drives. And I think they could be useful to revisit older SW books on such drives, or at other times when I ordinarily wouldn't be able to actually read.

However, unlike the actual books, I can't see any value with owning them once I've listened to them. And they're hella expensive, especially given that a lot of them are only available in abridged editions.

I know there are a lot of rental-type places around. Almost too many, to be honest. Can anyone recommend one that's reliable, has reasonable terms, and offers a great selection (as in complete or really close to complete) of SW audiobooks? Or even a place where they can be purchased in MP3 format for reasonable rates?

JimJamBonds
02-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Try your local library, while I doubt they would have MP3's they probably have books on cd and tape. I've listened to quite a number of books this way.

shammykenobi
02-28-2006, 01:36 PM
I have AOTC on tape...my cousins gave it to me...he bought it used for $10...which would be the way to go if you could find a place that had them...but it's a little hard to take when the narrator has to try to imitate Yoda's voice...but it's a good way to pass time on the road.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Something that's really good to listen to are the National Public Radio Dramas of SW, ESB and ROTJ. I've listened to them over and over again, kinda like I watch the movies and I never get bored. I even fall alseep to them sometimes and I definitely take them when I go on long drives and when I commuted back and forth to college. Audio books are fun fun fun!

JimJamBonds
02-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Something that's really good to listen too are the National Public Radio Dramas of SW, ESB and ROTJ. I've listened to them over and over again, kinda like I watch the movies and I never get bored. I even fall alseep to them sometimes and I definitely take them when I go on long drives and when I commuted back and forth to college. Audio books are fun fun fun!

Good call, those tapes/cd's are a great listen! :thumbsup:

2-1B
03-02-2006, 02:59 AM
'Ox "loaned" ;) me her Radio Dramas (permanently :D ) on CD and they are indeed fantastic. :)

Chux, I've gotten a few from the local library as well and they are definitely worth a listen, I agree. :)

JimJamBonds
03-02-2006, 11:47 AM
'Ox "loaned" ;) me her Radio Dramas (permanently :D ) on CD and they are indeed fantastic. :)

What did I tell you the other day Caesar?!? Its not a loan its a "copy for 'Ox's personal archives that are being stored off site." :D

Deoxyribonucleic
03-02-2006, 01:14 PM

Chux, I've gotten a few from the local library as well and they are definitely worth a listen, I agree. :)

I totally forgot about that :) I'm gladded you liked 'em and thanks for storing them for me, you know I really appreciate it! :yes: :p

2-1B
03-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Absolutely m'lady, like JimJam said if you ever lose your copies out in Cali I have your backups stored safely in Wisconsin. I'd say that's a reasonable and safe distance. :)

JimJamBonds
03-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Absolutely m'lady, like JimJam said if you ever lose your copies out in Cali I have your backups stored safely in Wisconsin. I'd say that's a reasonable and safe distance. :)

And if something happens to the backups here in Wi the master copies are still safe a few thousand miles away. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
03-03-2006, 03:17 AM
I'm gladded you liked 'em

what the hell? gladded, sheesh, I just caught that and because it is SUCH bad spelling, I'm not going to change it lol

Yes, I need to visit my WI archives, I keep everything there for my backups and safety :yes:

:whip:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Someone gave my the first Thrawn trilogy on cassette (they're like little iPod-shaped pieces of plastic that had a thin tape running through a spool that played music, one for each "side" of this thing :p ), and it was pretty good. I believe Anthony Daniels was the narrator, and it even included the "Hammertong" short story from the Tales of the... Something or Other book. My problem is, I have a car that has no cassette deck. :upset: But I have addressed that problem by bringing a tape player (this was a box that had door that opened to play these "cassettes" I spoke of earlier ;) ) in the car.

BTW, libraries really are good for getting books on tape/CD, older and newer ones.

scruffziller
03-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Or even a place where they can be purchased in MP3 format for reasonable rates?

I use Audible.com. It has a great selection. It's about like having another Netflix pricewise. I got the whole Narnia series there.:) Ranges from about $10-$20 per audiobook. But you get to keep them. I have a membership so you get discounts. Mine is about $20 a month get 2 free audiobooks of any price.