PDA

View Full Version : Got the rest of Wave 1 today- I love this line :-D

Warstar
02-28-2006, 05:17 PM
I already had Darth's TIE and I loved it a lot- and now I got the Wheel Bike, Obi-Wan and Luke today.

I haven't opened Luke or Grievous yet, but I can already tell that Obi-Wan is going to be my fav out of the bunch :D

The only other way I own an ROTS Jedi Starfighter is in the 3" Titanium line, so it was COOL to get one that was bigger in the form of the Obi-Wan TF. I like the ship a LOT- although it's squished here and there for size, I like the way it "feels," for lack of a better term. The landing gear is a nice touch and the missle lightsabers looking like guns, too, is a nice touch.

I'll post more reviews in this thread when I open the other 2- I'm glad I am caught up now since Wave 2 is hitting stores! :D (or is it Wave 3? :p)

JediTricks
02-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Congrats on the get. Obi-Wan is my favorite of wave 1, then Vader, then Luke, and I refused to buy Grievous. :p Comparing the SW:TF JSF to the regular one, I like how they slimmed the cockpit down some, it's a little sleeker.

Warstar
03-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I still like Vader the best- and I am pleasantly suprised with Luke X-Wing- he's cooler than I thought, though there's a leg articulation thing that the instructions miss that you have to do make him sturdy (widen the hips). Still- one of Luke's foot pegs was so tight that I inadvertently ALMOST twisted the foot right off because I didn't realize the peg wasn't moving. I fixed it and now I have to be careful, lest I DO twist the foot off.

Grievous is JUNK- but I DO like him in vehicle mode (maybe because I don't own the wheel bike in any other format), even if it is WAY off scale. If you center the wheels on his back in robot mode, he isn't TOO bad though.

Obi-Wan I like a lot but one of the legs on mine is sort of loose, so the leg joint slides into the hip if I am not careful. I like the toy better in ship mode, personally...

Darth is still may favorite- good solid robot, good solid ship design and transformation. Then, he's followed by Luke (amazingly enough- I like how abstract he is- and that if you turn the X-Wing thrusters upward on his shoulders he looks much cooler), Obi-Wan (the lack of a solid place for the wings PLUS the left leg sliding defect on mine that persisted even after tightening screws brings this one down) then Grievous (one of his legs likes to come apart at the knees- and DO NOT DROP THIS TOY- it explodes into a million pieces but thankfully, they can all be put back together...I'm glad I dropped him on carpet!).

Having these ships have pilots make me reminisce (SP) about the Diakron days- the old magnet-footed "pilots" of the original Takara line before they became the Transformers- I kinda' like the feeling :-)

I'm excited for the new ships now. I hope they come out here soon. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Luke's ankle design is horrible, everybody's reported that same horror story. I honestly think the figure was designed so the foot DOESN'T rotate around, instead the flat part is the "toe" and the nose the "heel" (thus you don't rotate it around for transformation) this allows the landing gear to not get in the way and has better heel stability.

On Obi-Wan, you have to pull the legs down till the click, it's further than you think, this is another one a lot of collectors have mentioned (that and Obi-Wan's "floppy head", again, the plate it's on pops up higher than it feels like so it's totally stable, this also allows the cockpit chair to tilt all the way back).

Also, Obi-Wan's wings peg together, the one closest to his back pegs into a hole on the outer one - it works no matter which wing is first and second.

Check Target stores for Wave 2, that's where all the sightings of that wave have been that I know of, it's where I found Boba Fett and Anakin (over and over on the Anakin, silly repaint).

Warstar
03-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Dude- you were totally right about Obi-Wan- I extended the legs out further than I was comfortable with and heard a nice, distinct "click" and they snapped into place (as they should), so now that leg doesn't slide in. Also, I wondered what the pegs were for on the wings, and now that I see they had matching holes this whole time I'm stoked- the wings lock nicely now.

I still like Vader the best, though, but Obi-Wan's is better now!

...I gotta' admit...Grievous, while fragile, DOES look COOL posed :p

Thanks for the Obi-Wan tips! :D

JediTricks
03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Glad I was able to help you out with those parts. I think Obi-Wan's wings and the panel that covers his head in vehicle mode are supposed to be representing his Jedi robes, so having the wings flop around really wouldn't go well with that.

With Grievous, in my book if a disordinant number of parts come off during transformation (legoforming is technically when the parts come off and are moved to a different location, but this is close enough ;)) or there's some ridiculously large piece of alt-mode kibble, I tend to shy away from it.

seanmcfripp
07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Ok, I've been fighting the urge for months now, but I finally gave in the other day and bought a lone Obi-wan I found on the pegs at Target. And of course now I'm hooked. I love Star Wars toys, I love Transformers, so call me retarded for loving Star Wars Transformers. I can't really describe what I like about it so much, it's just so incredibly fun to play with. I was useless at work for like an hour after lunch fiddling about, changing it back and forth. Now I know I'm in trouble, because if I like Obi-wan, which seems to be one of the weaker, more kibbley designs, I just know I'm going to love all the others. The Maul/Infiltrator calls to me.

GD it, why did I have to have a moment of weakness? I don't want to collect another line of something that on paper is just such a stupid idea. Watch me, I'll have bought all the way through wave 2 by the end of the week, probably wave 3 if I find it. F, I gotta get the Falcon I saw at TRU the other day too, which by the way, looks friggin' awesome. I know, I know, I sound terrible saying that. Curse you Hasbro for appealing to the kid in me!

mtriv73
07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Sean, the falcon TF is cheaper at Wal-mart. The one on 26 has a ton of them. I broke down and bought the arc-170. I wish I'd waited for the clone wars version, but I didn't know about it when I bought it. It is a great toy but I've been successful in fighting the urge to buy the rest...so far.

JediTricks
07-26-2006, 03:10 PM
I like Obi-Wan/JSF, he's one of the better ones in my book. BTW, his head panel does lock into place, it's just a tough click to get all the way - his knees are the same, they click into place when fully extended. And the instructions don't explain that the wings fold all the way back and one pegs into the underside of the other (it doesn't matter which).

I think this line has gotten a bum wrap, it's not the greatest, it could be better, but it's fun and something unique in the SW universe.

Warstar
07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I totally agree with JT on this- the line is fun. :thumbsup: I have all 3 waves opened now and have the Falcon on layaway. My fav's are the 2 JSF's, the ARC-170, the Imperial Shuttle and Maul. All of them just look cool in either mode, and the poseability is amazing :)

The other toys in the line (Darth's TIE- which used to be my fav until I realized how kinda' plain it is- both Slave 1's, Grievous' Wheelbike and Luke's X-Wing) are really good too- but they're not really as solid in both departments like the other ships (Darth's TIE is kinda' plain, the Slave 1's are fragile as all get-out ((the arms, mostly)), Grievous is a bit too spindly in robot mode but it grows on you, and the X-Wing is just goofy looking- in either mode).

I'm glad the line is continuing- I just wonder where Hasbro is going from here?

seanmcfripp
07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Now that I have more than a few of these things, I realized today that they're scratching the itch I've had from an absence of Action Fleet. The ARC-170 brought on that realization, as it's pretty much spot on proportion wise in alt mode. For the most part, the vehicle representations are spot on (not the X-wing of course), and the mini figures are great. You get as good a substitute for Action Fleet as you're going to find (and no, I don't care the Titanium stuff), PLUS you get really cool mech designs. I seem to remember Action Fleet running $10 a pop back in the day, so with these only being $5 more, I feel like they're a great bargain.

I wish I'd started collecting these when they first came out. I resisted and resisted, thinking they were just the stupidest idea ever, but after you get one in your hands, you can't help but have fun fiddling about. Anyone still on the fence with deciding to collect this line needs to get down and go out and pick one up. Any real toy lover out ther can't honestly tell me the ARC-170 Fighter isn't a great design and a blast to play with.

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, Action Fleet were $10 back in the day, and they didn't transform. They do fill an AF need for me as well, the ARC-170 is far more satisfying in that respect than the Titanium Series 6" Ultra version, this is the only Jedi Starfighter in Action-Fleet style at all, and the Imperial Shuttle TF is better than Galoob's version in some ways.