PDA

View Full Version : Sun Fac: A lesson in how it should be done

Sith Lord 0498
03-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Sun Fac is the out-of-left-field surprise of the new Saga Collection. Yes...previous figures have been very impressive as well (Veers, AT-AT Driver, Boushh, etc.) but Sun Fac is truly the gem to-date.

First, he's an obscure background character, and we as a collecting community have been clamoring for more BG characters since forever.

Second, this is a pristine example of how to make superior articulation in an unobtrusive manner. It's only when you take him off the card that you realize how many ball-joints he has. My only criticism would be that his knees needed ball-joint articulation as well. That aside, he stands very solidly on his own without the stand.

Third, the detail on his suit is extremely well-done.

Hasbro, keep up this level of superior sculpting and character selection, and I think you'll see the number of happy consumers go up while the complaints fall significantly.

jedi master sal
03-01-2006, 05:36 PM
I concur.

While I didn't expect this Geonosian, he's a welcome addition. The sculpt is great, the articulation is superb. Remake the regular Geonosian warrior like this one and I'd by 40 of them!

JediTricks
03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, he's awesome, I gave him very high marks, I also came VERY close to saying that he's an army-builder, the scarred eye being such a stand-out feature on the head kept that from happening. I don't mind the lack of the 2 sets of knee joints, his hips and universal-jointed ankles let you do a lot of good poses. I took points off only for paint problems (the head and legs have way too much green paintwash on them), the fact that he seems too tall, and the revisited blaster which is too big and doesn't have the right handle situation. Still, if they decide to repack this one with a better blaster, get the paint situation sorted out, and a second "regular, unscarred" geonosian head (ball-jointed heads are easily swappable), I'd buy several of that and give it top marks I'm sure.

Sith Lord 0498
03-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, he's awesome, I gave him very high marks, I also came VERY close to saying that he's an army-builder, the scarred eye being such a stand-out feature on the head kept that from happening. I don't mind the lack of the 2 sets of knee joints, his hips and universal-jointed ankles let you do a lot of good poses. I took points off only for paint problems (the head and legs have way too much green paintwash on them), the fact that he seems too tall, and the revisited blaster which is too big and doesn't have the right handle situation. Still, if they decide to repack this one with a better blaster, get the paint situation sorted out, and a second "regular, unscarred" geonosian head (ball-jointed heads are easily swappable), I'd buy several of that and give it top marks I'm sure.

Yeah, I was never a fan of that ridiculous sonic pulse cannon. And it looks even goofier with that big neon green spot in the barrel!! :)

I concur with your observation on the hips and ankles. He stands very well thanks to them. It just would've been nice if you could stand him straight up instead of the half-squat he's stuck in.

JediTricks
03-01-2006, 07:52 PM
And it looks even goofier with that big neon green spot in the barrel!! :)Although the movie version is far more detailed there, it *does* have the green spot in the middle like this toy (there it's a separate spheroid disk shape with stuff inside).

It just would've been nice if you could stand him straight up instead of the half-squat he's stuck in.Yeah, 'cause he ain't tall enough right now or anything. ;) I'm kidding, I hear ya. The reason I don't mind his kneeless legs is because that's how the Geonosians stood in the movie. But I can also understand wanting joints in either or both sets of knees too.

Bacta Beast
03-01-2006, 11:38 PM
I agree! All he's missing is ball joint knees! But then they're doing that to Cody too so it doesn't surprise me!

jedi master sal
03-02-2006, 09:56 AM
I agree! All he's missing is ball joint knees! But then they're doing that to Cody too so it doesn't surprise me!

WHAT?

I could have sworn Cody had ball joint knees. Damn, first Scorch now Cody. That's crazy. On two of the most requested figs from 2005, they are going to cheapen out on the knee articulation. Someone needs to Beeowtch slap Hasbro.

Bacta Beast
03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this post with a discussion about Hasbro cheaping out on articulation. But yes! Han Solo (Carkoon), Scorch, and Cody are all lacking knees and ankle articulation! And Cody and Scorch don't have ball joint shoulders! I started a thread about Hasbro doing this to Cody, and someone got all b@#$y about picking on poor little Hasbro. Seems we should be thankful for whatever that decide to offer us and not complain about anything! Just stop buying.

But back to the point of the thread! Except for the lack of knee articulation, I also really like this Geonosian sculpt!

Battle Droid
03-03-2006, 04:11 AM
Geonosians with Fac's articulation I'd like, (knee articulation would be nice as well)

Geonosian Picador w/ Orray
Geonosian Drone
Geonosian Pilot
Geonosian Warrior / Guard
Poggle the Lesser
Gizor Dellso

jedi master sal
03-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this post with a discussion about Hasbro cheaping out on articulation. But yes! Han Solo (Carkoon), Scorch, and Cody are all lacking knees and ankle articulation! And Cody and Scorch don't have ball joint shoulders! I started a thread about Hasbro doing this to Cody, and someone got all b@#$y about picking on poor little Hasbro. Seems we should be thankful for whatever that decide to offer us and not complain about anything! Just stop buying.

But back to the point of the thread! Except for the lack of knee articulation, I also really like this Geonosian sculpt!

I know I was a strong proponent for Cody. I don't mind the shoulders the way they are, but I REALLY thought he had knee articulation...

JediTricks
03-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Geonosians with Fac's articulation I'd like, (knee articulation would be nice as well)

Geonosian Picador w/ Orray
Geonosian Drone
Geonosian Pilot
Geonosian Warrior / Guard
Poggle the Lesser
Gizor Dellso If they do another Geonosian pilot, I really hope they give him mid-torso articualtion, that was my favorite part about the one that came with the Geo Fighter.

Another thing that I like about Sun Fac is that he's got an outfit where the first Geonosian figure we ever got had none, nude aliens are weird. :D

Who's "Gizor Dellso"?

My thinking is that they could do a Geonosian like Sun Fac but with interchangable heads and maybe a "dressed" and "non-dressed" torso or outfit, then 1 figure would be the ultimate army builder covering the Picador, officer, guard, soldier, pilot, and grunt.

El Chuxter
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
But Geonosian Pilots are surgically modified and permanently hard-wired into their craft, so to be accurate, the next Geonosian Pilot should resemble the Cruisemissile Trooper.

Hey, it ain't pretty. I'm just saying it like it is.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Gizor Delso is a character from Battlefront II - on the 501st story missions on Mustafar, he's trying to make a new droid army a few years after the Empire is already formed. You're supposed to kill him and his army.

I never saw any Geonosian pilots in the movie in the first place, so I don't think we need a more articulated one.

Blackened88
03-05-2006, 12:48 AM
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=16336&cat=4639

Sorry to get off topic here but if your telling me that aint a ball jointed knee your crazy.

Sith Lord 0498
03-05-2006, 11:29 AM
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=16336&cat=4639

Sorry to get off topic here but if your telling me that aint a ball jointed knee your crazy.

It certainly does look like a ball joint on the knee behind the hologram. Time will tell I suppose.

Kidhuman
03-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Based upon thisd thread I bought an extra Sun Fac to open. I think it is a great figure. I do see what you guys mean about a ball jointed knee on him. That would have been supreme. Just a quick question....

Wouldnt a head swap with the Saga1 Geo warrior an excellent army builder since he has the scar on him?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Based upon thisd thread I bought an extra Sun Fac to open. I think it is a great figure. I do see what you guys mean about a ball jointed knee on him. That would have been supreme. Just a quick question....

Wouldnt a head swap with the Saga1 Geo warrior an excellent army builder since he has the scar on him?
Sun Fac is quite a bit taller and bulkier than the original 2002 Geonosian Warrior, so any part swaps would look bizarre.

JediTricks
03-05-2006, 04:37 PM
But Geonosian Pilots are surgically modified and permanently hard-wired into their craft, so to be accurate, the next Geonosian Pilot should resemble the Cruisemissile Trooper.

Hey, it ain't pretty. I'm just saying it like it is.
I'm not speaking to you anymore after that comment :p especially in "Dear Hasbro" - DON'T GIVE THEM BAD IDEAS!!!

Wouldnt a head swap with the Saga1 Geo warrior an excellent army builder since he has the scar on him?Like JabbaJohn said, they're essentially different scales so the Saga1 Geo head on this body would be far too small. Also, Sun Fac's head is ball-jointed so there's no way that smaller Geo head would fit here since it's standard jointing and narrower.

El Chuxter
03-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't like it either, JT. But the Cruisemissile Trooper should've been removable (aside from this huge flaw, it's a cool design), and the Geonosian Pilot should not have. Only one reference source has mentioned the pilots at all, and it clearly states they're hardwired into their vehicles.

And, no, I have no idea how they go to the bathroom. I'm sure an EU novel explaining it is in the works.

jedi master sal
03-06-2006, 10:12 AM
And, no, I have no idea how they go to the bathroom. I'm sure an EU novel explaining it is in the works.

Funny, I was just wondering this myself...

JediTricks
03-06-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't like it either, JT. But the Cruisemissile Trooper should've been removable (aside from this huge flaw, it's a cool design), and the Geonosian Pilot should not have. Only one reference source has mentioned the pilots at all, and it clearly states they're hardwired into their vehicles.

If only 1 reference has been made about the Geonosian pilots, then I'm of the mind that they're wrong - hardwiring your pilots into the ships is just wasteful, what happens when their ship's systems need repair during battle, they just take a pilot out of commission? Here's an able body who could defend the realm yet just sits there doing nothing? Not buying it.

El Chuxter
03-06-2006, 04:32 PM
They do have a hive mind, so the loss of one is no major deal.

JediTricks
03-06-2006, 07:06 PM
"Hive mind"? Come on, they're not the Borg, they have a verbal language, if they had a hive mind they wouldn't need to talk (albeit in clicks and farts, but it's still talking). And let's say there's a squad of 5 ships, we've never seen them use more than that in a group (in the movie), so 1 or 2 pilots disengaging because their ships are down for repairs can make a huge difference. And what about bail-outs? I guess they'd be out too by that logic. And what if the guy crash lands his fighter without exploding? He's dead to us apparently even if he is uninjured - starve to death in your downed fighter fool!