PDA

View Full Version : Pre-paid credit cards

Darth Cruel
03-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Any information that will help me choose the best pre-paid credit card would be greatly appreciated.

I am hoping to find a pre-paid VISA that cannot be distinguished from a regular VISA card except by the money being paid in advance.

2-1B
03-02-2006, 12:07 PM
What is the purpose of this card going to be for ?

I would just go with a Debit card tied to an account solely for whatever purpose you have . . . unless you are worried about possibly having to dispute charges, in which cases I understand it can be harder to get Debit money back.

Darth Cruel
03-02-2006, 12:17 PM
What is the purpose of this card going to be for ?

I would just go with a Debit card tied to an account solely for whatever purpose you have . . . unless you are worried about possibly having to dispute charges, in which cases I understand it can be harder to get Debit money back.

It is intended for all of my star wars purchases. Internet and retail. I intend to have it take the place of my check card as my wife uses that account to pay bills and I don't want her and I to be stepping on each other via the money usage.

I suppose a second account w/check card would work just as well. Not a bad suggestion. I have never had problems disputing charges with my current Wells Fargo accout.

2-1B
03-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Cool, good luck with that then. :)

I always use my credit card online because I'm paranoid that my bank won't bail me out of a jam. Hey, at least I get to rack up some meaningless Galactic Rewards points in the process. lol

JediTricks
03-02-2006, 04:34 PM
I know American Express has a prepaid "gift card" that works like an Amex card (has an Amex number), but that's all I know about this stuff.

bobafrett
03-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Don't ask me. A mean little troll came and closed all of my credit card accounts. I now only have my debit card, and have had to use a more budgetary way to get my SW fix.

UKWildcat
03-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Well, I know some information about one kind of pre-paid credit card. It is called "Vision" and it is a Mastercard. These can be purchased at almost any Radioshack and other select retailers. Of course just about anything that is prepaid comes with fee's and added expenses, as do these. I'll do my best to break down the fee's involved and describe each card, as there are two you can choose from.

With the Vision Prepaid MC (like any) you must "load" or apply money to the card/account before you can use it. There is often a fee to apply this money to your account. I know Radioshack (and most other retailers) charge $5 to have money loaded onto the card. So if you want to put $100 on the card, you will be charged $105. Then there are transaction fee's and monthly maintenance fees that go along with the card as well. Here is some rough information on the two types of Vision MCs.

Vision Select:
This card is for an individual that is not going to use it very often. Less than 5x a month. You will be charged $1 a month just to have the card (deducted from the amount you apply to the card) and every single transaction you make you are charged around $1.50 (deducted from the amt. on the card). ie. You buy $30 in figs at Target, $31.50 gets deducted.

Vision Preferred:
This card is for an individual that is going to use it more often. More than 5x a month. There is no monthly fee to have the card (I believe). And you are charged a flat fee of $6.95 a month (again, deducted from the amt on the card) for all transactions. So you can use the card 20 times a month and not pay a fee per each transaction. ie. $30 in figs, $30 gets deducted.

Just keep in mind that any time you put money on the card there is usually a fee ($5 or less, typically) so load as much money onto them as you can. Just stop by a Radioshack if you have one close to you and talk to them about it, they can sign you up, which is free. The Mastercard will be mailed to you, which looks just like any other Mastercard, and they will mail you a similar card which you use to "reload" money onto the MC.

There is a Prepaid VISA out there called "Green Dot", but I don't know jack about that one.

Hope that helped.

El Chuxter
03-03-2006, 09:02 AM
The drawback to the prepaid Visa (at least the one Mrs Chuxter got as a gift for Christmas) is that you have to use the exact amount. Or tell the guy in the store that you want to charge $X.XX to the card and pay the rest in cash. You can't attempt to charge for more than the remaining value and get approved for the value, as with a gift card. (It makes it almost impossible to use at gas stations and restaurants, who typically run a temporary charge for more than the purchase amount.)

In case you're wondering, Mrs Chuxter decided to take the card to Target and buy a Target gift card in the exact amount, so as to avoid running into such problems.

Darth Cruel
03-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Wow! Thanks for the info you all. It looks like I will stay with the sysytem I have now. I guess if I don't let my balance drop below a certain amount, I shouldn't have a problem. And I won't have to pay the extra money (these things are expensive enough as they are).

UKWildcat
03-03-2006, 09:42 AM
The drawback to the prepaid Visa (at least the one Mrs Chuxter got as a gift for Christmas) is that you have to use the exact amount. Or tell the guy in the store that you want to charge $X.XX to the card and pay the rest in cash.

Yea, that sucks and is a huge drawback to a number of prepaid credit/gift cards. Thankfully, the card I mentioned above is not like that.

Wow! Thanks for the info you all.

No problem DC.

2-1B
04-06-2007, 11:17 PM
How's that coming along, DeeSee ? :)

Darth Cruel
04-07-2007, 12:13 AM
I am going with a second checking account. It seems to be the cheapest way to go. There are just too many fees with the other cards. I even tried a H&R Block pre-paid MC with my tax return. In order to cut down on the charges, I had to go to the grocery store and get cash back from purchases. Even the ATM fees were making me mad. And cash back at the grocery store is the best way to avoid them.

But there is actually a second reason for choosing the second checking account. Cruel's World Action Figures is getting closer and closer to reality.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-07-2007, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=Caesar;461760I always use my credit card online because I'm paranoid that my bank won't bail me out of a jam. Hey, at least I get to rack up some meaningless Galactic Rewards points in the process. lol[/QUOTE]Indeed. I got my Star Wars Mastercard thinking that I might be able to use the points to get some Star Wars figures or something. Instead, I get the opportunity to by a bunch of pins. The restaurant gift certificates might be useful, but the value compared to how many points they cost isn't worth it. The video games I finally have enough points to get are old ones I already have.

Another funny thing about the card. When I first got it, I tried using it to pay for my Hyperspace membership, but they weren't yet accepting Mastercards.