PDA

View Full Version : Are we all sick of the Networks and their "schedules"??!!

JEDIpartner
03-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm just being weird but do you guys think it sucks that the networks are tossing us one or two new episodes and then taking 2-3 week breaks in-between?

It's not just frustrating... I think it's insulting!!!! :upset:

Kidhuman
03-02-2006, 01:29 PM
I basically stopped watching 95% of TV programs becuase of this. I get interested in the season and then they go and take a month hiatus. It is stupid and ridiculous. I basically DVR a few shows and that is it.

decadentdave
03-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Well, in the case of Lost, I'm with you there. They show like 1 or 2 new episodes a month and every other week is a repeat. I think they think they can keep us all hanging in suspense.

Generally, I don't even watch television and I wait for the complete boxed sets to come out on DVD but I'm so addicted to Lost that I HAVE to find out what happens next.

JEDIpartner
03-02-2006, 02:15 PM
I have 5 to 6 shows in my line up.

1. Lost
2. Battlestar Galactica
3. Veronica Mars
4. Gilmore Girls
5. Invasion
6. Desperate Housewives

...and American Idol when that is running.

The ones I can't watch get the DVR. It's sad that there is no real TV season anymore. They just string you along forever so you won't tune into another network and get hook on a rival show. Stupid.

James Boba Fettfield
03-02-2006, 02:21 PM
I don't like it, but I try not to let it bother me too much. I'll keep tabs on when new episodes air and fill the repeat night with doing some other entertainment, like reading the books that just arrived from amazon.

Used to bother me quite a bit, though. Now I just accept it and find other things to do.

vader68
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Makes me crazy!!! I hate when they do that. Like now, I can't beleive we are at season finalies for the Stargates and Galactica. Lost makes me crazy as well. One week a new episode another week repeats.
My shows are: 1 Galactica
2 Stargate Atlantis
3 SG 1
4 NCIS
5 CSI (Vegas)
6 Without a Trace
7 Lost
8 Survivor
Thank God for DVR

JediTricks
03-02-2006, 06:11 PM
I loathe Network scheduling, and counter-programming, and dumping shows onto Friday night death slots, and endless reruns. Fox has always been the worst, but now they're all pretty bad. And they're SURPRISED that they're being abandoned in droves for cable and the internet, as if it weren't bad enough that they steal a quarter of every hour for ads, now they also ruin their schedule and cancel just about anything with promise.

Slicker
03-02-2006, 06:19 PM
The only shows I watch religiously are on the WB so I don't miss many shows...unless I have to work.

JEDIpartner
03-02-2006, 08:33 PM
More reruns to come before new episodes are shown... *sigh*

plasticfetish
03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
do you guys think it sucks that the networks are tossing us one or two new episodes and then taking 2-3 week breaks in-between?This isn't a new thing, but yeah it is a bit annoying. Most shows tape (film, whatever) 13 episodes (including a pilot) to start, and then as many as 26 after that. I've never worked on a network show that did more than 26 per season. Using Lost as an example (it's the only "network" show that I watch -- I don't consider Sci-Fi and all that to be network, it's "cable"), they filmed 24 episodes the first season, so that leaves a lot of empty weeks to fill with reruns. But again... this is nothing new. Go look up "M*A*S*H" on IMDB and you'll see that they filmed 24 episodes (maybe 25 or maybe even less) each season.

they think they can keep us all hanging in suspense.Um, well... yes, that's the idea. Considering that an episode of "Lost" probably costs Touchstone Television between 2 and 3 million dollars, it's not hard to understand how they'd want to milk it for all it's worth.

In the end, they're looking to make all of their money with DVD sales anyway... and that's probably how it is for most shows.

JediTricks
03-02-2006, 10:50 PM
This isn't a new thing, but yeah it is a bit annoying.I read somewhere that the last 2 or 3 years have been by far the worst it's ever been, even during sweeps.

BTW, shows are ordered in seasons of 13, 22, or 26, but I've not heard of a 39-ep season since the '50s.

Usually there are long breaks of reruns during summer and then interspersed breaks in March and during the holidays, but lately every network even during sweeps and whenever just throwing reruns around week in and out.

JEDIpartner
03-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Exactly! There used to be a good two-and-a-half months of new episodes, save for the occasional Halloween special and then there'd be a break between Thanksgiving and New Year. They'd resume the regular programming and then save the reruns for the summer season, which usually started in May. This is just pathetic.

OC47150
03-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't know how it is in your areas, but in my area, college basketball sometimes pre-empts with the network shows. I send emails to the affiliates asking when the show will air. A lot of times, it's like Saturday afternoon or 3 a.m. Sunday morning.

Oh, if anyone is counting, this is at least the fifth time change for Alias. Let's hope it makes it back on the air in April. :frus:

decadentdave
03-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Um, well... yes, that's the idea. Considering that an episode of "Lost" probably costs Touchstone Television between 2 and 3 million dollars, it's not hard to understand how they'd want to milk it for all it's worth.

In the end, they're looking to make all of their money with DVD sales anyway... and that's probably how it is for most shows.

By only putting out an episode or two a month and showing reruns every other episode is a killer for ratings. How do they expect to sustain consistent ratings and loyal viewership when they keep dragging out the repeats?

They should just run the full season in consecutive order then release it on DVD. Besides, that's really the way to watch them anyway, commercial free and as many as you want in one sitting. Unfortunately with Lost I can't wait around for another year just for the DVD box set to come out.

FYI - I heard Alias will not be returning and this is the last season.

El Chuxter
03-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Not to mention that (especially with Fox) you may not know when a show comes on in a given week. There have been several times when a show I followed religiously was a new episode in a different time slot one week, with either a re-run or an entirely different show in the regular slot, and I either missed it or found out about it at the absolute last minute. Case in point: the Arrested Development finale.

OC47150
03-03-2006, 03:15 PM
FYI - I heard Alias will not be returning and this is the last season.

That's true. Alias has had a good run, a loyal fan base, but so-so ratings. It's been that way since the beginning. This season has been good (when it's aired) but after two mediocre seasons, it's too little too late.

JediTricks
03-03-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't know how it is in your areas, but in my area, college basketball sometimes pre-empts with the network shows. I send emails to the affiliates asking when the show will air. A lot of times, it's like Saturday afternoon or 3 a.m. Sunday morning. I remember when I was a kid, sports would always preempt cartoons on Saturdays, but not so much on primetime. For a while for the past decade though primetime was getting stomped by sports preempting, but now it seems to have slowed up some (probably because of poor revenues or expensive contracts or just dicey ratings).

Oh, if anyone is counting, this is at least the fifth time change for Alias. Let's hope it makes it back on the air in April. :frus:Alias is sadly cancelled, they are gonna air the last 4 eps, 2 on April 19th, 1 on April 26th, and the last 1 on May 3rd.